Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade

fermun posted:

It's definitely agricultural, since it's a more or less constant latitude range. It seems to be all in countries that have areas of mild winters and warm dry summers too. Grapes sounds good except there's so many countries that make grapes that aren't on there. I think it's gotta be some other fruit that does essentially the same environments as grapes but is less popular.

Olives.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

withak
Jan 15, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!
Fun Shoe
Is wine measured in tons?

Being clustered around capitals makes more sense, but for either wine or grapes I'm surprised that the US and Japan both export more than Australia. And NZ more than US or Japan.

oldswitcheroo
Apr 27, 2008

The bombers opened their bomb bay doors, exerted a miraculous magnetism which shrunk the fires, gathered them into cylindrical steel containers, and lifted the containers into the bellies of the planes.
If it were wine it would have had dots in Argentina. Malbec, anyone?

fermun
Nov 4, 2009
I'm going with Pitaya, it's a New World fruit, so it wouldn't have caught on everywhere in the old world it could have, only in regions it somehow got imported and the production started there, but I could see it growing quite well in Italy, Spain, France, Greece, Turkey, Israel, Australia, New Zealand, etc.

It definitely seems like a New World fruit to me just by the fact that it is all over some regions it can grow but not others that would also make sense, so I think it is something without a long tradition in most regions.

System Metternich
Feb 28, 2010

But what did he mean by that?

I think the wine exports of other countries like Germany and Austria would be significant enough to warrant a depiction on this map, so I'd say it probably isn't wine. My first thought was olives or olive oil, but it turns out Spain is the largest producer of both. As was already said, it's got to be agricultural, so some sort of tropical fruit perhaps? Wiki tells me that Italy is one of the leading exporters of those fruits:

quote:

apples, olives, oranges, lemons, pears, apricots, peaches, cherries, strawberries and kiwi

The Monkey Man
Jun 10, 2012

HERD U WERE TALKIN SHIT
Yeah, and I think that South Africa would have been at least a blip, too.

fermun
Nov 4, 2009

System Metternich posted:

I think the wine exports of other countries like Germany and Austria would be significant enough to warrant a depiction on this map, so I'd say it probably isn't wine. My first thought was olives or olive oil, but it turns out Spain is the largest producer of both. As was already said, it's got to be agricultural, so some sort of tropical fruit perhaps? Wiki tells me that Italy is one of the leading exporters of those fruits:

Oh, kiwi makes sense. That's probably it.

withak
Jan 15, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!
Fun Shoe
Could NZ really be 2nd in the world at exporting olives?

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Muscle Tracer posted:

I guess what's politically loaded about this map is that you've all got such a geo-centric bias that you can't even consider the opinions of beings from other stars :colbert:
Even though I study astronomy, I am not really ready to assume there is a non-Earth-based opinion, unless a hard evidence is present.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

Dates? Figs? Leather shoes? :shrug:

Areiopolitical for Mars, thanks. Neptune's best though, it'd be Poseidopolitics.

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

fermun posted:

Oh, kiwi makes sense. That's probably it.

It's kiwis. New Zealand gives it away.

edit: the original
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/6/6b/2005kiwi_fruit.PNG

"In the 1980s, countries outside New Zealand began to export kiwifruit. In Italy, the infrastructure and techniques required to support grape production have been adapted to the kiwifruit. This, coupled with being very close to the European kiwifruit market, led to Italians becoming the leading producer of kiwifruit. The growing season of Italian kiwifruit does not overlap much with the New Zealand or the Chilean growing seasons, therefore direct competition between New Zealand or Chile was not much of a factor"

Peanut President fucked around with this message at 19:13 on Jul 23, 2014

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!
Congrats! I thought I'd put you off by picking a fruit which is more produced on the other side of the world from its origin country, but you did well :)

fuck off Batman
Oct 14, 2013

Yeah Yeah Yeah Yeah!

kalstrams posted:

Even though I study astronomy, I am not really ready to assume there is a non-Earth-based opinion, unless a hard evidence is present.

The universe is too loving huge for a non-Earth-based opinion not being somewhere.

But then again, the universe is too loving huge for it to ever matter.

Lord Hydronium
Sep 25, 2007

Non, je ne regrette rien

Have some scary maps about nukes:

(Source: FAS report on a hypothetical nuclear terrorist attack on DC)

(Source: Mother Jones)

Nuclear states:

(Source and legend: Wikipedia)

Or make your own!

Bonus :lol: map:

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Lord Hydronium posted:

Have some scary maps about nukes:
And my favourite nuke map which I used for my WMD presentation.

AN602 'crater' and 'total annihilation' areas drawn. Over Paris.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

kalstrams posted:

Not Disneyland Paris :ohdear: (in Marne La Vallée) (also I'd be dead, not cool)

Falukorv
Jun 23, 2013

A funny little mouse!

Mikl posted:

Congrats! I thought I'd put you off by picking a fruit which is more produced on the other side of the world from its origin country, but you did well :)

I was pleasently surprised a month ago when i bought kiwis pretty cheap from Italy, as a northern European that is as close and fresh as i'm gonna get them. Wasn't previously aware that they're were rown in Europe.

I thought for a second it would be olives, but then i remembered Spain is the biggest producer.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Kurtofan posted:

Not Disneyland Paris :ohdear: (in Marne La Vallée) (also I'd be dead, not cool)

Uhm, Disneyland over Versailles, the Bastille, the Eiffel Tower or the Louvre? What kind of Frenchman are you?

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

Torrannor posted:

Uhm, Disneyland over Versailles, the Bastille, the Eiffel Tower or the Louvre? What kind of Frenchman are you?

A terrible one :ohdear: I loved going to Eurodisney as a wee lad, the Louvre doesn't have Space Mountain, does it :colbert:

Edit: also the Bastille doesn't exist anymore, that's the whole point :v:

Kurtofan fucked around with this message at 21:13 on Jul 23, 2014

Radio Prune
Feb 19, 2010
Put it over Corsica :colbert:

Jaramin
Oct 20, 2010

Why not look at the scar left behind by the real Tsar Bomba? Keep in mind it was detonated 53 years ago.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

kalstrams posted:

Doing this with the Tsar Bomb is kinda cheating since nuclear weapons that will actually be used top out at around 3 megatons.

Gleri
Mar 10, 2009
Once you're talking about nuking Paris all bets are off in terms of what will actually happen.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.

Mister Adequate posted:

Dates? Figs? Leather shoes? :shrug:

Areiopolitical for Mars, thanks. Neptune's best though, it'd be Poseidopolitics.

Hadeopolitics. :colbert:

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Muscle Tracer posted:

I guess what's politically loaded about this map is that you've all got such a geo-centric bias that you can't even consider the opinions of beings from other stars :colbert:

All roads lead to sol. :hist101:

QCIC
Feb 10, 2011

die Stimme der Energie
Guess the legend (or just GIS it).

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

QCIC posted:

Law systems (Red is common law, blue is civil, brown is mixed, yellow is Islamic).

It was pretty easy when I saw Louisiana and Quebec in there.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

QCIC posted:

britishempire.png

Deep State of Mind
Jul 30, 2006

"It was a busy day. I do not remember it all. In the morning, I thought I had lost my wallet. Then we went swimming and either overthrew a government or started a pro-American radio station. I can't really remember."
Fun Shoe
That map was posted before and I had the same criticism last time that I still do: it must have Bangladesh and Pakistan either wrong or mixed up. There's no way secular Bangladesh uses Sharia while the Islamic Republic of Pakistan uses Common.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

TinTower posted:

Hadeopolitics. :colbert:

We don't have a Planet Hell (sadly)

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Mister Adequate posted:

We don't have a Planet Hell (sadly)

Yes we do.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

Radio Prune posted:

Put it over Corsica :colbert:

No gently caress you :colbert:

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

QCIC posted:

Browser use

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Hogge Wild posted:

Browser use
Impossible, Asians don't use same browsers as Europeans.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
We know it's the legal system map! Look it up on Wikipedia and you will find it. It's not even the first time it's been posted in this thread!

It should also be named whycommonlawismisnamed.map

Honj Steak
May 31, 2013

Hi there.
Also note that other classifications than the anglo-american one distinguish between several types of civil law.

Unfortunately I did find this only for Europe.

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Honj Steak posted:

Also note that other classifications than the anglo-american one distinguish between several types of civil law.

Unfortunately I did find this only for Europe.

I didn't realize that German and Nordic Law were separate subcategories (though I had some idea that nordic law probably existed based on some court cases I read about) would you mind elaborating on what makes German law unique?

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Lawman 0 posted:

I didn't realize that German and Nordic Law were separate subcategories (though I had some idea that nordic law probably existed based on some court cases I read about) would you mind elaborating on what makes German law unique?

Probably this, from Wikipedia:

quote:

The Bürgerliches Gesetzbuch (or BGB) is the civil code of Germany. In development since 1881, it became effective on January 1, 1900, and was considered a massive and groundbreaking project.

The BGB served as a template for the regulations of several other civil law jurisdictions, including Portugal, Estonia, Latvia, Taiwan (the Republic of China), Japan, Thailand, South Korea, the People's Republic of China, Brazil, Greece and Ukraine.

Though I can't answer the question about the differences.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Nordic Law sounds kind of badass (it's not).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Honj Steak
May 31, 2013

Hi there.

Lawman 0 posted:

Im no Lawman, but I'll try to paraphrase the respective entries from the German Wikipedia.

German Law is characterised by its systemic approach. Basic thought processes try to be rational, abstract and objective ("conceptual"), which for instance manifests in the so-called Abstraktionsprinzip.
Main codifications are the civil codes of Germany (BGB), Austria (ABGB) and Switzerland (ZGB). Especially the German BGB is being used as a model for many law systems across the world.

The usual approach of Nordic law seems to be more practical, being characterised by the institution of the ombudsman, which is apparently something you also often see in common law systems. Another reason for having another subcategory called "nordic law" is seemingly the intense cooperation and synchronisation between the nordic countries. There are codifications, but none is as comprehensive as the German Law ones. Historically, nordic law was influenced more by old germanic law than by roman law.

Honj Steak fucked around with this message at 13:44 on Jul 24, 2014