Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

Quest For Glory II posted:

Those features should have been in the original Wii VC to begin with, they're not worth a license fee, its regular old vanilla nickel and diming

holy poo poo they added save states and button mapping! things that have been in emulators since NESticle in 1997, wow such pioneers

This article explains it pretty well (though admittedly they do oversell it a bit).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

less laughter posted:

This article explains it pretty well (though to be fair they do oversell it a bit).
Uh I mean I'm sure you could find someone who could justify Microsoft charging you money just to access your existing Netflix subscription but that doesn't mean I'm going to agree with it

Those features are not worth extra cash to me which is why I dont pay for the license fee. I don't make a bunch of posts about it but I still see it for what it is, which is arbitrary nickel and diming. If they didn't charge a license fee, no one would say "wow I can't believe they're not making me pay money to access these two new features that have been in emulators for 15 years!!"

Next Nintendo will add Super Gameboy border support for a dollar per game, then demo recording for a dollar per game, then Game Genie codes for a dollar per game, playing online--hahaha just kidding

e: Also that article says that people aren't entitled to crossbuy but isn't one of the tentpoles of competition trying to provide a better service than your competitors? Sony doesn't charge me a license fee per game to play my PSX games on my PSP -and- my PS3, even though the emulator likely had to be tweaked for each platform. So I don't know about entitlement but I would be more likely to buy retro games from Sony's service than Nintendo's right now. If the PS4 gets PSX support, then absolutely I would.

The 7th Guest fucked around with this message at 21:39 on Jul 21, 2014

Lagomorphic
Apr 21, 2008

AKA: Orthonormal
Yeah they got a dollar out of me by selling me Zelda for the 5th loving time but there's like 30 VC games I'm not going to buy because they don't have a model where I buy a VC game and have access to it across platforms.

Lagomorphic fucked around with this message at 21:54 on Jul 21, 2014

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Unfortunately nobody does. Sony's better than most but the PS4 ecosystem is pretty divorced from the PS3/PSV one right now.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Like they've got their Playstation Now service but it's very flawed as of right now, so they get criticism too. But if PS4 ever gets native PSX/PS2 support then their retro support will continue to be better than Nintendo's. Although their emulation is bare bones too, no save states, just a couple of post-processing effects, but they do let you map the right analog stick on Vita which is nice. (e: And if PS Now exits beta as a PS+ perk and you get access to your existing PS Network purchases of PSX/PS2 games over the cloud on mobile devices/computers/etc, then that's a point in its favor, but right now I don't think anything's decided on pricing, they're experimenting)

I'm still waiting for one of these companies to actually have an emulator output a game in HD resolution like emulators on the PC have done for a long time now.

The 7th Guest fucked around with this message at 23:16 on Jul 21, 2014

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
There's a new Wii U firmware update out now (5.1.0), it adds the following features:

-Wii U to Wii U system transfer
-Wiimote/Pro/Classic Controller support for the eShop
-"System stability/usability" fixes

You can find info on the transfer process here
http://en-americas-support.nintendo.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/8983/p/431

tl;dr: it's pretty much identical to the 3DS system transfer - you need to have both consoles in the same room on the same network to do the transfer.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

There's a new Wii U firmware update out now (5.1.0), it adds the following features:

-Wii U to Wii U system transfer
-Wiimote/Pro/Classic Controller support for the eShop
-"System stability/usability" fixes

You can find info on the transfer process here
http://en-americas-support.nintendo.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/8983/p/431

tl;dr: it's pretty much identical to the 3DS system transfer - you need to have both consoles in the same room on the same network to do the transfer.

You know, it's really been bugging me that the gamepad was the only thing that you could browse the eShop with. I guess I'm not the only one who wanted to browse with the smaller and lighter pro controller. :v:

Crawfish
Dec 11, 2012

Ugh, seriously? If i'd known that, I would of got a White 3DS XL last week and a White Wii U sometime down the road and system transferred.

DKD
Dec 25, 2011
Of the 3DS Shin Megami Tensei titles on sale this week, should I get Overclocked or Soul Hackers if this is my first SMT game?

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!

DKD posted:

Of the 3DS Shin Megami Tensei titles on sale this week, should I get Overclocked or Soul Hackers if this is my first SMT game?

If you want a turn-based strategy game, Overclocked will be better for you. Soul Hackers is a port of a fairly old installment of the franchise, but it's fairly solid game-wise, though it has some mechanics that aren't present in other titles. If you want a more typical SMT experience though, Soul Hackers may be better for you. Both are good games though.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

DKD posted:

Overclocked. Soul Hackers is a port of a 90s RPG and it shows. Devil Survivor takes on a pseudo-SRPG format, so there aren't any random encounters or dungeons to deal with, which might make it a fair deal more accessible.

The Machine
Dec 15, 2004
Rage Against / Welcome to
One more vote for Overclocked. It's the game that got me into the SMT franchise and my life's been a living hell since, so enjoy. Now I'm playing the Raidou games on PSN and playing through fan translations of the Super Famicom games - welcome to the jungle, baby, you're gonna die.

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Gotta go with Overclocked too.You get the anime story that can ease you into Persona and that Atlus bullshit you get in the mainline SMT series. It's also a must have if you enjoy Fire Emblem.

ANIME MONSTROSITY
Jun 1, 2012

by XyloJW
I never got too far into Devil Survivor because I always felt bad about fusing away my demon friends :(

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Devil Survivor has one of the best atmospheres in a game I've played and is genuinely very fun so that's a vote for that from me. Soul Hackers is good too, but it's a bit more dated in my opinion and just screams 90s. They're also both pretty easy for SMT titles.

WorldWarWonderful
Jul 15, 2004
Eh?

ChaosArgate posted:

Devil Survivor has one of the best atmospheres in a game I've played and is genuinely very fun so that's a vote for that from me. Soul Hackers is good too, but it's a bit more dated in my opinion and just screams 90s. They're also both pretty easy for SMT titles.

This pretty much sums up my experience. I grew up playing all manner of RPGs, right down to the clunky, early 32-bit ones on the Saturn, and Soul Hackers really feels dated - very menu-heavy. Then again I paid full price for it on release and it routinely sells for fifteen to twenty bucks on the eshop which seems more "worth it". That being said, I can say I like Devil Survivor more overall, and I'm sure the more tactical-oriented slant helps.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

Dehry posted:

Gotta go with Overclocked too.You get the anime story that can ease you into Persona and that Atlus bullshit you get in the mainline SMT series. It's also a must have if you enjoy Fire Emblem.

I decided to pick up Overclocked myself because of what you said. I love Fire Emblem!

Quidthulhu
Dec 17, 2003

Stand down, men! It's only smooching!

Is Overclocked on the eShop in NA? I didn't think it was there. I have the DS version but I might pick it up digitally for $15 to play through it again since I never beat it.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

4. you should buy 4

DKD
Dec 25, 2011
But 4 is so much more expensive

and I still haven't beaten Fire Emblem either, I have so many SRPGs to get through. A man can only spend so many hours pooping before his legs fall asleep.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

4 isn't an srpg

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Quidnose posted:

Is Overclocked on the eShop in NA? I didn't think it was there. I have the DS version but I might pick it up digitally for $15 to play through it again since I never beat it.

It's been on there for a while. I'm not sure when it went up, but I saw something advertising it on the eShop so you're likely able to grab it digitally.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

Like they've got their Playstation Now service but it's very flawed as of right now, so they get criticism too.

People wanted, and expected, a Netflix style flat fee that was roughly twice the price of PS+ but had unlimited streaming of every Playstation game ever. Anything short of that would be a travesty, because renting a 20-30 hour gaming experience is apparently more expensive than buying it. Who knew?

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Regardless of people's demands, my initial thought with PS Now was "oh neat, I can stream the PSX/PS3 games I bought on PSN to other devices" and apparently you can't even do that, you have to rebuy them. I guess it's mostly for people who don't own Playstation products.. except that it's only available to people who own Playstation products?? I just don't get that service.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Regardless of people's demands, my initial thought with PS Now was "oh neat, I can stream the PSX/PS3 games I bought on PSN to other devices" and apparently you can't even do that, you have to rebuy them. I guess it's mostly for people who don't own Playstation products.. except that it's only available to people who own Playstation products?? I just don't get that service.

It's in a very weird place right now and fairly flawed as a result. It's much more of a long-term strategy for Sony, as eventually it will be offered on devices like the Playstation TV, actual smart TV's, cell phones and the like. But right now with no subscription plan, broken-as-hell pricing and lack of support for everything but the PS3 and PS4 it looks pretty dumb.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

Quidnose posted:

It is! I downloaded it earlier.

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Conception II will probably join the sale at some point. It just went $29.99 on a Vita Atlus sale. It will probably be the same on 3DS soon enough. They matched the last one and even made it a little cheaper since 3DS charges tax.

It's not Persona. It's a dating sim mashed with a generic RPG. It suffers from some slowdown on the 3DS but other than that the game is the same. The green hair girl(Ellie) and monokuma girl(Torri) are the least creepy paths. The worst you get in those is the mandatory swimming pool FMV featuring all the heroines. That's not to say the other stories are cheap or generic, but the other ones at some point have nudity.

Shelf Adventure
Jul 18, 2006
I'm down with that brother

Dehry posted:

Conception II will probably join the sale at some point. It just went $29.99 on a Vita Atlus sale. It will probably be the same on 3DS soon enough. They matched the last one and even made it a little cheaper since 3DS charges tax.

It's not Persona. It's a dating sim mashed with a generic RPG. It suffers from some slowdown on the 3DS but other than that the game is the same. The green hair girl(Ellie) and monokuma girl(Torri) are the least creepy paths. The worst you get in those is the mandatory swimming pool FMV featuring all the heroines. That's not to say the other stories are cheap or generic, but the other ones at some point have nudity.

Or you could play something which you don't have to settle for working out how to be the least creepy.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Shelf Adventure posted:

Or you could play something which you don't have to settle for working out how to be the least creepy.
A game comes out that finally offers players truly meaningful decisions and this is how you react? That's disgraceful, in my opinion.

Katana Gomai
Jan 14, 2007

"Thus," concluded Miyamoto, "you must give up everything you have to be my disciple."

homeless snail posted:

A game comes out that finally offers players truly meaningful decisions and this is how you react? That's disgraceful, in my opinion.

You're trying to be ironic with an anime avatar.

Yestermoment
Jul 27, 2007

Quick question: Is it possible to take advantage of the Mario kart 8 free game deal but NOT have a WiiU on your club account? I planned to budget getting one in the coming month or so, but was hoping I could take advantage of this because I'd more than likely get MK anyways.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
All you have to do is register MK8 with Club Nintendo, you don't need to own/register the console beforehand.

ANIME MONSTROSITY
Jun 1, 2012

by XyloJW

Katana Gomai posted:

Woah

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Shelf Adventure posted:

I own a Vita, you pretty much have to map out the path of least creepiness to enjoy any mainstream release.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Katana Gomai posted:

Heil, you caught me.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

Dehry posted:

I own a Vita, you pretty much have to map out the path of least creepiness to enjoy any mainstream release.
aren't you the one who bought this on both the vita and 3ds?

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Awesome! posted:

aren't you the one who bought this on both the vita and 3ds?

Yeah, and I always forget I have the game on both systems. I probably shouldn't have bought it twice.

Now if you'll excuse me, I'll get back to my two copies of Rorona+

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar
Yeah but you went out of your way to buy it for both systems, possibly at a store. hosed up if true.

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Even better, the sales clerk was a girl.

The 3DS version was a drunk purchase. I make jokes about it, but the money would have been better spent on something else.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
NA dudes, looks like you're getting two Sunsoft games on the VC this week: Ufouria (NES) on Wii U, and Blaster Master (NES) on 3DS.

Hopefully they're able to fix Ufouria's music this time around.