Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Level Slide
Jan 4, 2011

By the way, that's fanart

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
I want a Kyoshi spin-off so bad.

dj_clawson
Jan 12, 2004

We are all sinners in the eyes of these popsicle sticks.
In the comics, Avatar Roku does tell Aang to kill the Fire Lord, and Aang cuts him off and banishes his spirit.

dj_clawson fucked around with this message at 19:05 on Jul 22, 2014

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand

Spergatory posted:

Not really. Their advice was:

ROKU: Be decisive.
KYOSHI: Only justice will bring peace.
KURUK: Shape your own destiny.
YANGCHEN: Do whatever it takes to bring balance.

None of them actually told him to kill Ozai. He only thought they were because that's the only solution he knew of at the time. His eventual solution actually fulfilled all of the above criteria.
Kyoshi flat-out told Aang that even if she wasn't completely prepared to kill Chin if it came to it, him dying by "accident" was still an acceptable solution to her problem. If she was trying to explain some version of "justice" that didn't result from her enemies' deaths, well, she did a pretty poor job of it.

Yangchen as well. Aang was all "You're an Air Nomad like me, you understand why it's wrong to kill!" and she replied, in no uncertain terms, "Yes, but we as Avatars don't have that luxary."

Aang didn't misunderstand any of the past Avatars in the least, and they certainly weren't trying to subtly direct him towards discovering energybending or something. No, he managed to find that method -- which wasn't so much the third option as it was what he was trying to accomplish in the first place -- in spite of their instructions, by sticking to his own convictions.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Pretty much. Yangchen may not have flat out said "you need to kill Ozai", but her response to Aang saying he couldn't was "you must sacrifice your needs for the good of the world." The whole point of her appearance was the irony of an airbender being the one most explicit in telling Aang he needed to break his morals and kill.

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012
I don't think they were subtly directing him towards energybending either (which they might not have even known about) but I do think it's an important distinction that none of them actually told him what to do. All of their advice basically just amounted to 'pick a course of action and loving stick to it because being wishy-washy isn't gonna help anyone.'

Personally, I was hoping for he'd go for the quadruple-amputee route. It's probably a lot harder to make limbs out of fire. :colbert:

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!
If they weren't telling him to kill that entire fight makes no drat sense

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

BrianWilly posted:

Kyoshi flat-out told Aang that even if she wasn't completely prepared to kill Chin if it came to it, him dying by "accident" was still an acceptable solution to her problem. If she was trying to explain some version of "justice" that didn't result from her enemies' deaths, well, she did a pretty poor job of it.

That's not what she said. Aang wanted to try and absolve her of it by claiming that it was an accident and Kyoshi said she didn't really see the difference. She took responsibility and was prepared to kill him either way.

Hakkesshu fucked around with this message at 23:00 on Jul 22, 2014

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

Spergatory posted:

Personally, I was hoping for he'd go for the quadruple-amputee route. It's probably a lot harder to make limbs out of fire. :colbert:

Four fire-jets, constantly shooting at all times.

Jorghnassen
Oct 1, 2007
Glouton des fjords

Fried Chicken posted:

If they weren't telling him to kill that entire fight makes no drat sense

They couldn't say it explicitly because of Standards and Practices... Still, it's important that they didn't explicitly state it, so that the deus ex machina of energy bending actually fulfilled the advice of all four avatars.

Barlow
Nov 26, 2007
Write, speak, avenge, for ancient sufferings feel

Jorghnassen posted:

They couldn't say it explicitly because of Standards and Practices...
This is the crux of the issue. Remember ATLA had issues with anyone ever explicitly dieing, which they did a great job of parodying with the scene about Jet in the Ember Island players episode. It's also the reason the characters on the show kept using cute little euphemisms about the need to "end you."

Combed Thunderclap
Jan 4, 2011

Barlow posted:

It's also the reason the characters on the show kept using cute little euphemisms about the need to "end you."

Despite the annoyance of all the blatantly offscreen deaths/near-misses, that language was also cutely in line with the poetic and epic feel of ATLA.

They also did a surprisingly good job at pretending like the S&P regs weren't in place, using the other characters' fear of death to create similar levels of suspense. I remember being on the edge of my seat right before Azula pulled out her iron man boots trick at the Western Air Temple because Zuko was on the verge of flipping out. Similarly, the atmosphere and chaos of the Book II finale really made you feel like Aang was incredibly close to death - even though it's painfully obvious that he wasn't about to go anywhere any time soon because Kids' Show.

Speaking of which, the Western Air Temple was awesome. I hope we get to see more of the other temples this season.

Wildeyes
Nov 3, 2011

Barlow posted:

This is the crux of the issue. Remember ATLA had issues with anyone ever explicitly dieing, which they did a great job of parodying with the scene about Jet in the Ember Island players episode. It's also the reason the characters on the show kept using cute little euphemisms about the need to "end you."

Also, Katara saying that firebenders "took her mother away."

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

rotinaj posted:

Four fire-jets, constantly shooting at all times.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QX6YF7w3VW4&t=30s

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Barlow posted:

When Ozai corners Aang during their fight (the part where Aang retreats into his earth ball) Ozai explicitly says "prepare to die." Granted it's the only time in the series, but they were obviously able to get away with at least saying it.

Although even despite that, I'm still blown away by the fact they managed to get away with Tarrlok blowing up the speed boat with him and his brother on it.

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

She was a sword glinting in the depths of night, a lance of light piercing the darkness. There would be no mistakes this time.
I feel like they're getting away with a lot more as Korra goes on. Like, they were just straight up blowing up cops this week.

dj_clawson
Jan 12, 2004

Sydin posted:

When Ozai corners Aang during their fight (the part where Aang retreats into his earth ball) Ozai explicitly says "prepare to die." Granted it's the only time in the series, but they were obviously able to get away with at least saying it.

Although even despite that, I'm still blown away by the fact they managed to get away with Tarrlok blowing up the speed boat with him and his brother on it.

Adult characters (particularly evil ones) can get away with a lot more, particularly if they're not fighting kids or women. Also, Tarrlok doesn't SAY anything about it being a murder-suicide. I'm sure there were a lot of meetings hashing this out.

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

Sydin posted:

Look, we'll put parachutes into every single goddamn plane in this entire battle scene if you let us do this. It's two deaths vs. dozens. Choose.

Vahtooch
Sep 18, 2009

What is this [S T A N D] going to do? Once its crossed through the barrier, what's it going to do? When it comes in here, and reads my [P O S T S], what's it going to do to me?

Wildeyes posted:

Also, Katara saying that firebenders "took her mother away."

In regards to this weren't the Fire Nation capturing all the water benders and locking them up for experimentation or something? Like the blood bender.

Gruckles
Mar 11, 2013

They previously took all the waterbenders prisoner, but when Katara's mom gave herself up the guy said something like "I'm not taking any prisoners today" and killed her right then and there.

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

Vahtooch posted:

In regards to this weren't the Fire Nation capturing all the water benders and locking them up for experimentation or something? Like the blood bender.
They implied later that the family walked into their house to find her dead.

Also, the phrasing was more to set up Zuko's follow up of "That's something we have in common" line. One of those times Avatar used what could be a weakness, namely its status as a Nickelodeon show, to its benefit from a writing standpoint.

Sgt. Politeness
Sep 29, 2003

I've seen shit you people wouldn't believe. Cop cars on fire off the shoulder of I-94. I watched search lights glitter in the dark near the Ambassador Bridge. All those moments will be lost in time, like piss in the drain. Time to retch.
They may not have said the D word but when Aang goes Koizilla at the end of book 1 not only are there no "parachutes" for the fire navy but there is no hint of vagueness when it came to Admiral Zhao's watery demise. I was waiting for them to handwave everything but instead Aang more or less laments having killed a bunch of people under the influence of the avatar state episodes later. Even if his appearance in the fog of madness is supposed to be evidence of his survival (I sure as hell didn't take it that way) that was 4 seasons later.

A shockingly low amount of punches are pulled in Avatar, especially compared to almost any other cartoon (sans the Clone Wars, where people just get straight up murdered)

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

You misread that scene if you think it's evidence he survived. If anything it's evidence of a fate worse than death on the other side for him.

Also, though I don't think they ever directly state it, it's clear that the reason they were systemically killing Water Benders was because they were trying to find the Avatar, so Aang running away is indirectly responsible for Katara and Soka's mum dying.

ultramiraculous
Nov 12, 2003

"No..."
Grimey Drawer
Coming into the thread late to repost this quote:

FourLeaf posted:

holy poo poo it's the goonbender

Babygravy
Jun 12, 2014

I am the gravy

PriorMarcus posted:

You misread that scene if you think it's evidence he survived. If anything it's evidence of a fate worse than death on the other side for him.

Also, though I don't think they ever directly state it, it's clear that the reason they were systemically killing Water Benders was because they were trying to find the Avatar, so Aang running away is indirectly responsible for Katara and Soka's mum dying.

Wow I never actually connected the avatar cycle with why the water tribe was hit so hard.. That's actually a brilliant move.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
I worked that plotpoint out when I was, like, twelve.

Babygravy
Jun 12, 2014

I am the gravy
All the cookies to you then Sir.

Gruckles
Mar 11, 2013

That's why they initially didn't kill the waterbenders and instead imprisoned them. If they ended up killing the Avatar then they'd just have to start the search over again in the Earth Kingdom.
100 years down the line they decided the Avatar was long gone, but that they might as well finish what they started with the Southern Water Tribe and not bother with the prisoners anymore.

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
Everyone seemed pretty sure that they had just missed the Avatar. I always assumed the Southern Water Tribe was hit so hard because, along with the minor Earth Kingdom villages, it was much easier to hammer into submission than the Northern Water Tribe, Ba Sing Se, or Omashu.

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Some motherfuckers are always trying to ice-skate uphill

This is easily the most ridiculous thing I've seen in a japanese film and I've seen Robo Geisha.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Is this source verified?

http://www.nickandmore.com/2014/07/23/nickelodeon-pulls-five-legend-of-korra-premieres/

AshB
Sep 16, 2007
I don't see info about that anywhere else.

dj_clawson
Jan 12, 2004

AshB posted:

There are some people on Tumblr talking about it, but no word from Diko or Korra Nation yet.

Tesla Was Robbed
Oct 4, 2002
I AM A LIAR

AshB posted:

Given Nick's awesome ability to schedule things, advertise, find consistent times and keep episodes under wraps, it wouldn't surprise me in the least.

They must have taken lessons from disney on scheduling shows.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
I wouldn't surprise me, considering the ratings for each season premiere have gone from 4.5 million (Book 1) to 2.6 million (Book 2) to 1.5 million (Book 3). I'm assuming Korra's budget is much higher than your standard Nick show, so they're probably desperate to reverse that trend. Book 3's ratings have gotten as low as 1.1 million for some episodes, so obviously the two episodes a week strategy is not bearing fruit.

AshB
Sep 16, 2007
It would be completely unsurprising and irritating if that happened. Nickelodeon has already messed this up in every other way imaginable.

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
The source is credible, but not recognized in any official capacity by Nickelodeon. That they don't say where they got this story from is certainly odd. I checked TV listings online and it still showed two episodes for this and next week, so I'm skeptical.
Concern, not panic, is the order of the day.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
What about throwing up all over myself? Can I try that?

(I can't believe how invested I am in this show :saddowns:)

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
Whatever happens, the show isn't cancelled. We're still getting Book 4. It may never air on TV, but we're getting it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
It would make zero sense not to air Book 4. It's already been funded and is in production. Airing it with abysmal ratings will still recoup more cost than not airing it at all.

• Locked thread