Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DJ Dizzy
Feb 11, 2009

Real men don't use bolters.

not lame! posted:

How do Astra Militarium players distinguish between Militarum Tempestus Scions and veterans with the grenadier upgrade in their armies?

Are parts for both the Company Commander/Platoon Commander included in the Cadian Command Squad? Is the guy with the peak-cap and the trenchcoat the Company Commander? The AM codex/GW's site is actually somewhat vague on this.

All my IG vets are fitted with the baret heads from the scion pack.

And yes. The Cadian Command Squad is the source for commanders and special weapons sans launchers and flamers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Squifferific
Oct 17, 2004
Proud user of machines that go "Ping!"

not lame! posted:

How do Astra Militarium players distinguish between Militarum Tempestus Scions and veterans with the grenadier upgrade in their armies?

Are parts for both the Company Commander/Platoon Commander included in the Cadian Command Squad? Is the guy with the peak-cap and the trenchcoat the Company Commander? The AM codex/GW's site is actually somewhat vague on this.

In the Cadian Command squad, there are a couple of torsos that serve as commander models. There's the trench coat legs+torso, and there's one with a few medals on the chest, and a third with some heavy necklace thing. They used to sell a pewter model of a commander as well (cranky old man with a sword and one eye), but looks like he's dropped off the webstore. I use the trench coat guy and one of the other alt torsos with the included cyborg sword arm as my platoon commanders, and managed to get the pewter one eye commander off eBay.

As to keeping things separate, I have slightly different paint schemes for my veteran squads vs my regular guardsmen. One veteran squad is using slouch hats from Victoria Miniatures, and a second is using gas mask helmets from some other random store (another eBay win.) Both squads have one green shoulder pad and green boot guards while the regular guardsmen have red. The commander models have blue. It makes it super easy to spot who is in what squad, and the two different veteran squad heads makes it easy to just proxy and say a given squad has this upgrade today. There's also no real reason why you can't use a commissar model as a commander as well, provided you give him the same uniform colors as your regular dudes and a more formal commissariat style color scheme for your actual commissars. Just make it up!

I don't have a Scions squad yet, but I imagine you could do something similar if you wanted one squad of Scions and another of Scion models as veterans.

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Does that mean I don't get the job?
Orks? Orks.

Ork Mek that I cobbled together in 15 minutes by rummaging through the bits box and gluing random poo poo onto him. The piece of fuzz on the last photo is totally intentional I swear :v:

Mek Guns. Customer asked me to make up three of them, but didn’t want to buy the overpriced official kit. A quick trip to the local dollar store netted me some cheap toy guns from some no-name action figure (AMERICAN SOLDIER ACTION or something). Some bits and bobs, plasticard, and judicious use of magnets later, and we got a set of 3 switchable guns of various types.

Post 9-11 User
Apr 14, 2010

AbusePuppy posted:

HP values for pre-6th codices can be found in GW's FAQs. For what it's worth, all of the Necron vehicles are 3HP (as are most vehicles in most books, really) except for the Doomsday/Ghost Ark, which are both 4HP.

Other books have, at various times, been in similar places- the Witch Hunters book during most of 5th Edition was extremely powerful, for example... as long as you just took as many Immolators as possible and filled them with Stormtroopers and Dominions and the like.

:tipshat: I know it's been FAQ'd I just didn't realize it was so old. It still feels like a new Codex for me even though it's five years old. The lack of HP values is what reminded me.

Slimnoid posted:

Orks? Orks.

Mek Guns. Customer asked me to make up three of them, but didn’t want to buy the overpriced official kit. A quick trip to the local dollar store netted me some cheap toy guns from some no-name action figure (AMERICAN SOLDIER ACTION or something). Some bits and bobs, plasticard, and judicious use of magnets later, and we got a set of 3 switchable guns of various types.

Those are great! Nanoseconds before you clicked post, GW sent a cease and desist order to the makers of AMERICAN SOLDIER ACTION for devaluing their IP.

Post 9-11 User fucked around with this message at 19:45 on Jul 23, 2014

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp
I managed to pick up two full squads of Karskins with Meltaguns and Plasma Guns used just before the new codex came out, so I've been using them as my vets. Works pretty well, though I need another Karskin Plasma Gunner at some point since I've only got two at the moment.

Ugly John posted:

You know, I understand why they did it, but "Astra Militarum" still sounds like the dumbest goddamn thing ever and I can't see that army as anything but IG.

Yeah, it really is, and I can't help but cringe every time someone refers to them as AM. They're Guard, drat it! :argh:

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Does that mean I don't get the job?

Post 9-11 User posted:

Those are great! Nanoseconds before you clicked post, GW sent a cease and desist order to the makers of AMERICAN SOLDIER ACTION for devaluing their IP.

Too bad the manufacturer is from China and they don't give a fuuuuuck.

(but no really you can find these things at Dollar Tree for a buck)

Fernando Frantegro
Oct 9, 2007
If You're Not A Part Of The Solution, There's Good Money To Be Made In Prolonging The Problem. That is Consulting
I was just digging through my storage, and found my IG and Eldar armies. After much debating I've decided I really don't want to get back into the hobby anymore. Is there a site that anyone knows where i can look up a general value to sell them off. They are both 6th edition based, and I probably have around 3k points of IG and 2k points of Eldar. Truthfully even after looking through them I don't remember what all the units are actually called.

Squifferific
Oct 17, 2004
Proud user of machines that go "Ping!"

Fernando Frantegro posted:

I was just digging through my storage, and found my IG and Eldar armies. After much debating I've decided I really don't want to get back into the hobby anymore. Is there a site that anyone knows where i can look up a general value to sell them off. They are both 6th edition based, and I probably have around 3k points of IG and 2k points of Eldar. Truthfully even after looking through them I don't remember what all the units are actually called.

I would try to find the same kits on the GW site, if you can. Used stuff generally goes for around 50% of retail or so, depending on the paint job and condition. Check out eBay for similar models and see what they go for. Some people try to sell for the same as retail, but that's mostly because they think too highly of their own paint jobs.

If you have any Leman Russ tanks, I could give them a home :v:

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

Acebuckeye13 posted:

Yeah, it really is, and I can't help but cringe every time someone refers to them as AM. They're Guard, drat it! :argh:

Someone needs to feed me some Guard Forever/ AM Never slogans in high gothic to graffiti on the walls of my nuke silo.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Acebuckeye13 posted:

As I've said before it really is a pointless namechange since the Codex keeps referring them as IG anyway and the rest is just someone going through the text and doing a word replacement.

Acebuckeye13 posted:

I managed to pick up two full squads of Karskins with Meltaguns and Plasma Guns used just before the new codex came out, so I've been using them as my vets. Works pretty well, though I need another Karskin Plasma Gunner at some point since I've only got two at the moment.

Yeah the Stormtroopers and Kasrkin I've got are my go to guys for Veterans currently. So far only rolling with one squad but I hope at some point to get more of them to be able to field a second squad aside from the Ranger squad I've got which is also getting a second squad made. Found one place that has a bunch of second hand Kasrkin with Meltas that I really really should buy before someone else nabbs them.
And then I've got a mixed double melta vet squad consisting of a bunch of Catachans and Cadians just waiting to be built and painted as well.
Not to mention I want to get some of the Anvil Studio grenadiers to build into veterans as well.

Have I mentioned that I love building veteran squads over normal infantry ones yet? :v: Shame I don't have enough special weapons to go around though.

Cooked Auto fucked around with this message at 20:38 on Jul 23, 2014

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

not lame! posted:

Honestly, you can dress up your commanders however you like. There's no set model for a platoon or company commander. You can build them with whatever you think suits them. My Cadian company commander uses parts from the Hellhound kit, and my platoon commander is the typical long coat and peaked cap guy. As for vets with grenadier upgrades, you could use the old Stormtrooper models, convert up some extra armor plates, or do whatever suits you. If you say to just about anybody "these guys have better flak armor that confers a 4+ instead of a 5+" nobody's really gonna bat an eye.

not lame!
May 9, 2006
STYLE!
Thanks for replies. I'd normally ask more ork questions but that sanctum reach set sold out before my payday :smith:

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Ugly John posted:

You know, I understand why they did it, but "Astra Militarum" still sounds like the dumbest goddamn thing ever and I can't see that army as anything but IG.

Why did they change it? Was Imperial Guard to hard to protect the IP of?

Also, is there a marine chapter whose combat doctrine denies you the +1 attack when you charge them?

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

Why did they change it? Was Imperial Guard to hard to protect the IP of?

Also, is there a marine chapter whose combat doctrine denies you the +1 attack when you charge them?
Imperial Guard is a super general term, and one that's been in use historically for hundreds, if not thousands of years. Astra Militarum is easier to trademark.

That just sounds like defensive grenades. Maybe there's a Forgeworld chapter or one in the Horus Heresy books, but the only Marines I can think of with defensive grenades are Plague Marines out of the CSM dex.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat

ineptmule posted:

So I saw a link to these gaming mats on facebook. Unfortunately they cost almost as much to ship to the UK as the mats themselves cost.

Would any UK based goons (South-East preferably I suppose for distribution logistics) be interested in sharing the cost of a 4-pack shipping deal? It works out at $40 shipping per mat rather than $70 if shipping singly.

Is it me or are the FrontLine Gaming mats kinda ugly? The Zuzzy mats are so much more detailed and awesome. International shipping is a bitch though.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

BULBASAUR posted:

Is it me or are the FrontLine Gaming mats kinda ugly? The Zuzzy mats are so much more detailed and awesome. International shipping is a bitch though.

I don't think the craters or green fields ones are particularly pretty, but I have the arctic one and the wastelands one and they're both aces, and the city one is quite detailed.

The zuzzy ones are going to look better on account of being 3d textured latex, but at the same time you need to go to some effort to paint them yourself to get there.

Also the smell of the Frontline ones is like new car smell :kimchi:, while I heard the zuzzy ones smell like :vomarine:

NTRabbit fucked around with this message at 21:32 on Jul 23, 2014

Sulecrist
Apr 5, 2007

Better tear off this bar association logo.
I love the Zuzzy ones but my cats love chewing the hell out of them and I've heard similar stories from other owners of both dogs and cats. Basically if you have a pet, order one of those sample swatches first.

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Everything's gonna be A-OK
Oven Wrangler
How much could I get from parting out a Sanctum Reach box? My local store has at least two in stock.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
Going by UK bitz and Ebay, you could sell the rules and characters for £25 each and the other models would be pure profit.

drgnvale
Apr 30, 2004

A sword is not cutlery!

NTRabbit posted:

I don't think the craters or green fields ones are particularly pretty, but I have the arctic one and the wastelands one and they're both aces, and the city one is quite detailed.

The zuzzy ones are going to look better on account of being 3d textured latex, but at the same time you need to go to some effort to paint them yourself to get there.

Also the smell of the Frontline ones is like new car smell :kimchi:, while I heard the zuzzy ones smell like :vomarine:

I'd really like to see the arctic one in person; that was going to be my kickstarter reward but I ended up going with the city map because the weird curves on the arctic one seemed to be trying to imply a depth that wouldn't be reflected on the table-top. There are similar problems with the city one (curbs, places that would obviously be raised in the center) but I'll be covering some of them up with buildings and what-not. The arctic one just looks, to me, like there's a deep valley on one side from the pictures.

Foul Ole Ron
Jan 6, 2005

All of you, please don't rush, everyone do the Guybrush!
Fun Shoe
Picked up some horrors and a herald of Tzeench, with the nerf to monsterous creatures, is the lord of change worth it?

Sulecrist
Apr 5, 2007

Better tear off this bar association logo.

ghetto wormhole posted:

How much could I get from parting out a Sanctum Reach box? My local store has at least two in stock.

I'm selling them to friends on the cheap to help get them back in the game, but I think you could easily get $25 each for the characters and $60 for each of the other halves if you broke it up. Maybe another $30 for the rulebook. Figure $200+ total if you were patient.

My store has a couple more too.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
If you have mini rulebooks I bet some of goons here would be happy to buy a copy (I know I would, after holding off from getting the main rulebook)

Pacheeco
Feb 26, 2004

Foul Ole Ron posted:

Picked up some horrors and a herald of Tzeench, with the nerf to monsterous creatures, is the lord of change worth it?

A decked out LoC is still strong but not being able to assault after flying and only getting 1 Smash Attack now is a HUGE blow. You have to be really careful in your positioning now in order to not get assaulted after you land but also stay in range for you to assault the following turn but also not get blown away by shooting. Kairos might be a better choice simply because he isn't built to assault anyways so no need to worry about it plus he brings more powers and warp charges to the table along with that free re-roll. I played heavy FMC Daemons and I've been moving away from it just because it's really difficult to set up for the assault now and I've been getting more success out of large CC units led by Heralds. You can still make a strong Daemon army with zero or one MCs.

Personally I don't even really like the Horrors + Herald power unit anymore. Flickering Fire got way more difficult to cast, so much so that I regularly question why I even brought the unit to begin with. They went from a top performer in 6e to underperforming in 7e for me.

Pacheeco fucked around with this message at 23:28 on Jul 23, 2014

Fernando Frantegro
Oct 9, 2007
If You're Not A Part Of The Solution, There's Good Money To Be Made In Prolonging The Problem. That is Consulting

Squifferific posted:

I would try to find the same kits on the GW site, if you can. Used stuff generally goes for around 50% of retail or so, depending on the paint job and condition. Check out eBay for similar models and see what they go for. Some people try to sell for the same as retail, but that's mostly because they think too highly of their own paint jobs.

If you have any Leman Russ tanks, I could give them a home :v:

I was kind of hoping to do 2 lots one of eldar and one IG. I would say most of my painting is just standard table top, but a lot of my stuff isn't painted, mostly just primed and never got around to it.

Sykic
Feb 9, 2004

Resist! Humanity demands it! Resist!
Dumb question, I'm considering taking a crack at Armies on Parade and I've been wondering, how the hell do you transport the 2x2 board? I can't exactly fit that in, well, anything.

Ghost Hand
Aug 10, 2004

Rampant 40k Fanboy

SUPER NEAT TOY posted:

Red Scorpions changed at all?

- Art for the Red Scorpions remains the same from the previous edition. Though I think the Terminator and Space Marine plates is new.
- Background appears the same Geneseed (unrecorded/unknown)
- Chapter Tactic: Purity Above All - This is the same I think. Sgts can be Apothecaries.
- Chapter Tactic: Fortitude and Contempt - Reroll failed pinning but cant go to ground.
- They have a chapter relic called "Tears of The Scorpion". You upgrade a relic blade and it takes the form of Sword, Axe, Maul, Spear and gains Murderous Strike (Causes instant death on roll of 6 to wound, some of them reduce init by -1 due to Deadly Weight and the spear has mutliple rules based on weather they have charged or not)
- Commander Carab Culln is in the book as well as some other characters (Dreadnought etc)

I'll update more as I get time

Hencoe posted:

How do you get them so fast, mine is still awaiting packaging.
Real question, has there been any changes to the TGCs?
E: Tell us EVERYTHING!

I get a copy to cover on my show.

Swagger Dagger posted:

Might as well just give us a rundown of what changed, because I want to know about the Elysians.

ghetto wormhole posted:

Tell us about the IG units/lists Ghost Hand :love:

Too broad but I will cover some info about Elysians in a bit (at work now). I'll update the post as I get time.

Hencoe
Sep 4, 2012

MY LIFE GOAL IS TO STICK A FLESHLIGHT INTO THE END OF A HOWITZER AND FUCK THE SHIT OUT OF IT

Ghost Hand posted:

I get a copy to cover on my show.

This makes too much sense.
So the stuff we have heard about the bugs in the book have been true?

AbusePuppy
Nov 1, 2012

BEST DAY OF MY LIFE!!!!!! so far.

Foul Ole Ron posted:

He's still a pretty alright dude. FMCs are really tough to kill, and ones that rely on shooting over melee (including the Lord of Change) generally got better. Flying around casting Flickering Fire or Bolt of Change into tanks' rear arcs is still pretty deadly and he has access to some good disciplines. How useful he'll be will obviously depend on the army he's in, but there's nothing wrong with the guy himself.

Cataphract
Sep 10, 2004

Fun Shoe

Fernando Frantegro posted:

I was kind of hoping to do 2 lots one of eldar and one IG. I would say most of my painting is just standard table top, but a lot of my stuff isn't painted, mostly just primed and never got around to it.

If you just want to get rid of them, sure. But you'll make a lot more money/find buyers if you break it down and sell it unit by unit.

Post 9-11 User
Apr 14, 2010
Know what owns for reading dataslates and poo poo? The Polaroid A7x. It's so new there isn't jack poo poo online, but for less than $80 it has a gorgeous screen, 8GB, dual core, comes with a bluetooth keyboard, sleeve, and a kick stand. The keyboard is a pain in the rear end to synch, but this thing loads ePub files from Black Library like a charm. Runs Kitkat 4.4.4, too.

I got burned by a Micro Cruz, an unredeemable piece of poo poo about two years ago, but this thing is stonking great. gently caress spending seven times the amount on an Apple thing that has a worse interface, worse battery, and no accessories in the box.

DJ Dizzy
Feb 11, 2009

So, I painted a thing. This is probably the best painted model I have ever painted, and it only took me an hour.

Oh, and I need to learn how to take pictures.

LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Sykic posted:

Dumb question, I'm considering taking a crack at Armies on Parade and I've been wondering, how the hell do you transport the 2x2 board? I can't exactly fit that in, well, anything.

A box that is slightly bigger than 2x2? Break up your board into 1x1 sections and stack them? Back seat of a car?

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

DJ Dizzy posted:

So, I painted a thing. This is probably the best painted model I have ever painted, and it only took me an hour.

One hour? Holy gently caress, really? How do you even do that?

Post 9-11 User
Apr 14, 2010

DJ Dizzy posted:

Looks good, homey. From what I can tell, it's not that the model is out of focus but that your hands are shaking. Try placing your elbows or wrists on the table for stability.

The Sisko
Jan 9, 2009

"Whenever there's injustice, wrongs to be righted, innocents to be defended, The Sisko will be there, delivering ass-whooppings."

DJ Dizzy posted:

From what I can tell that looks like pretty awesome Rune Priest.

Speaking of models I was going through and found this in my pile of unpainted models :

I believe it was a gift from a friends father who was an active wargamer way back in the 90's. For the SRM's in this thread , I'm curious as to how old is this bad boy?

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

The Sisko posted:

From what I can tell that looks like pretty awesome Rune Priest.

Speaking of models I was going through and found this in my pile of unpainted models :

I believe it was a gift from a friends father who was an active wargamer way back in the 90's. For the SRM's in this thread , I'm curious as to how old is this bad boy?

2nd edition Chaos Dreadnought, 1996.

SRM fucked around with this message at 01:39 on Jul 24, 2014

DJ Dizzy
Feb 11, 2009

Ignite Memories posted:

One hour? Holy gently caress, really? How do you even do that?

Practice in speed painting. Model is primed black, armour is painted Shadow Grey, then drybrushed with Space Wolves Grey. Cloak is mechanicus grey (or whatever the gently caress its called now) followed by a drybrush of Dawnstone and then a light drybrush of Praxeti White. Nades and weapon is just boltgun metal, skulls are Ushabti Bone washed with agrax. Face is Bugmans Glow, followed by Kislev Flesh and then washed with Reikland. Hair is Tau Light Ochre, washed with Carroburg Crimson. Symbols and runes are Brass Scorpion followed by Shining Gold. Weapon grip and cape is Khorne Red.

Ghost Hand
Aug 10, 2004

Rampant 40k Fanboy

Hencoe posted:

This makes too much sense.
So the stuff we have heard about the bugs in the book have been true?

Not sure what you have seen but here is the new guy.

DIMACHAERON
WS8, BS3, S6, T6, W6, I6, A5, LD10, Sv 3+
Monstrous Creature (Leaper)

Weapons and Biomorphs:
- Sickle Claws
- Grasping Talons
- Thorax Spine-Maw
- Adrenal Glands
- Instinctive Behavior (feed)
- Rampage

Leaper lets it move 6" over any terrain or models freely (theres more to it but that simplifies it)

Grasping Talons: Str+1, AP2, Melee, Spine-maw Strike
Thorax Spine-Maw: Stre+4, AP1, Melee, Instant Death, Digestion Spine, (Only used at init1 and when the grasping talons roll a 6 to hit.)
Digestion Spine: Gets plasma tokens equal to wounds on the profile of the model removed (regardless of how many it had at the time). Gains 4+ FNP while it has tokens. Removes tokens at end of turn.

Couple other things...

Sickle Claws Str: User, AP2, Melee, Sickle Strike
Sickle Strike: on a 4+ to wound has the instant death special rule

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DJ Dizzy
Feb 11, 2009

The Sisko posted:

The greatest of dreadnoughts. Truly.

• Locked thread