Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kinmik
Jul 17, 2011

Dog, what are you doing? Get away from there.
You don't even have thumbs.
The day before he was killed in the MH17 crash, a young boy starts questioning his mortality. I need to go out today and start looking at my life. :smith:
http://www.mail.com/int/news/europe/2999422-young-mh17-victim-eerie-premonition-crash.html#.1258-stage-hero1-4

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SLOSifl
Aug 10, 2002

kinmik posted:

The day before he was killed in the MH17 crash, a young boy starts questioning his mortality. I need to go out today and start looking at my life. :smith:
http://www.mail.com/int/news/europe/2999422-young-mh17-victim-eerie-premonition-crash.html#.1258-stage-hero1-4
There is always at least one person on any commercial plane that is scared of flying and seemingly predicts a plane crash, in the extremely unlikely event that it actually happens.

quote:

How could he have known? How could she have known? "I should have listened to him," she says softly. "I should have listened to him."
He didn't know and was scared of flying.

Normally he's very calm about flying, but for some reason this time was different.

Tom always freaked out about flying, but on that fateful day he was weirdly calm. I remember when he got on the airplane thinking "this is the last time I will ever see Tom" and then the plane crashed!

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

SLOSifl posted:

There is always at least one person on any commercial plane that is scared of flying and seemingly predicts a plane crash, in the extremely unlikely event that it actually happens.

Normally he's very calm about flying, but for some reason this time was different.

Tom always freaked out about flying, but on that fateful day he was weirdly calm. I remember when he got on the airplane thinking "this is the last time I will ever see Tom" and then the plane crashed!
Tsk, tsk, you're just like the feds in Final Destination. Believe! :argh:

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Auger_conveyor

Spoilered reason why it's unnerving to me (:nms:): a guy I know lost both legs getting stuck into one of these at work :gonk:

kinmik
Jul 17, 2011

Dog, what are you doing? Get away from there.
You don't even have thumbs.

SLOSifl posted:

This is a very valid point, because I'm usually one of those people who freaks out and goes through all those "what if" scenarios.

I wouldn't say the kid was necessarily scared of flying because the article points out that he was well-traveled. The mother could be exaggerating a point to say that he had a "premonition" in order to garner sympathy and media attention, but I'm willing to give her the benefit of the doubt. Two of her children just died.

I just thought it was exactly what the article said it was: eerie and really sad. :shrug:

ThatGirlAtThatShow
Nov 4, 2013
It also sounds like the mother is might be exaggerating the memory out of guilt. The last sentence of that article - "I should have listened to him," she says softly. "I should have listened to him." - made the room suddenly very dusty.

SLOSifl
Aug 10, 2002

Mikl posted:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Auger_conveyor

Spoilered reason why it's unnerving to me (:nms:): a guy I know lost both legs getting stuck into one of these at work :gonk:
Due to something in my childhood - probably Rescue 911 - the word "auger" will never sound safe. Auger means "to rip the legs off of someone on a farm" as far as I can tell.

edit: Although I will accept a second definition of the word: "to rip the legs off someone in a factory".

OzyMandrill
Aug 12, 2013

Look upon my words
and despair

SLOSifl posted:

Due to something in my childhood - probably Rescue 911 - the word "auger" will never sound safe. Auger means "to rip the legs off of someone on a farm" as far as I can tell.

edit: Although I will accept a second definition of the word: "to rip the legs off someone in a factory".

That's because its derived from the 'Archimedean Screw', and as everyone knows, Archimedes spent most of his time coming up with ingenious ways to burn, drown or otherwise permanently maim as many people as possible.

It is a wonder of his genius that this design is still inflicting traumas over 2000 years after his death. Truly a man of science!

NLJP
Aug 26, 2004

Well here's today's dose of horror:

India doctors remove 232 teeth from boy's mouth

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Caption: "It was all smiles from the medical team after the mammoth operation"

Except for the obviously miserable kid, who endured hours of having teeth chiseled from his skull with only local anesthetic

serious norman
Dec 13, 2007

im pickle rick!!!!
nm

bonestructure
Sep 25, 2008

by Ralp

serious norman posted:

Where did you find the Margaretta story?

A skeptic blog called Swallowing the Camel. She posts a lot of interesting stuff.

http://swallowingthecamel.wordpress.com/

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

Darkrai used Dream Eater!
It's super effective!

bonestructure posted:

A skeptic blog called Swallowing the Camel. She posts a lot of interesting stuff.

http://swallowingthecamel.wordpress.com/

gently caress me. I read one story past that, to where the guy sacrificed his 4 year old daughter. Whenever I come across poo poo like this, I feel the overpowering need to go spend time with my 3yo kid and remind myself that there actually is good in the world.

Croisquessein
Feb 25, 2005

invisible or nonexistent, and should be treated as such
It's always weird to me to see references to Seventh-Day Adventists, when I was in the church I almost never heard about it from the outside. Now whenever I read about weirdos and strange crimes and horrific situations there's always a few SDAs in there, or folks who split off. Never knew about the Koresh cult being SDA splinters or any of those other wackadoos when I was religious. Guess they don't like talking about that stuff in church.

Wild T
Dec 15, 2008

The point I'm trying to make is that the only way to come out on top is to kick the Air Force in the nuts, beart it savagely with a weight and take a dump on it's face.

Nth Doctor posted:

gently caress me. I read one story past that, to where the guy sacrificed his 4 year old daughter. Whenever I come across poo poo like this, I feel the overpowering need to go spend time with my 3yo kid and remind myself that there actually is good in the world.

Don't google Garnett Spears. My family is out of town for a few weeks and when I read that it infuriated and depressed me and made me want to go hug my kids.

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Well, that aligns with the vibes I was getting. Which was, like, "normal" kinda vibes.

Wild T posted:

Don't google Garnett Spears. My family is out of town for a few weeks and when I read that it infuriated and depressed me and made me want to go hug my kids.

Don't tell me what not to google.

USA Today posted:

Authorities suspect the single mother, who was a constant presence on social media sharing stories of Garnett's medical crises, may have poisoned the little boy three times: once before he experienced seizures that sent him Jan. 17 to Nyack Hospital, again on Jan. 19 at Nyack when his sodium level spiked and he had to be flown to Valhalla; and a third time at Maria Fareri hospital after a doctor confronted Spears.

As Garnett lay dying in the hospital, a Chestnut Ridge neighbor said Spears called and told her to dispose of a bag that Spears used to feed the boy through a tube in his abdomen. Police later recovered the bag which tested positive for extremely high levels of sodium.

USA Today posted:

The charges relate to Garnett's death, but authorities suspect Spears subjected him to past medical abuse, fueled by attention on Facebook, Twitter and blog posts. She presented herself as a doting mother caring for a son who had been in and out of hospitals his entire life.

In a Facebook post in November 2009, she wrote that Garnett was back in the hospital again, his 23rd hospital visit in his first year.

USA Today posted:

Then, on Jan. 23, Spears posted a final Facebook declaration: "Garnett the great journeyed onward today at 10:20 a.m."

Initially flooded with condolences, support for Spears diminished as friends learned about the investigation and stories from her past: that her frequent emergency-room visits raised eyebrows among medical staff, that she misrepresented herself as the mother of a child she babysat and that she had lied about Garnett's father.

He was not a police officer who died in a crash. He is a garage-door installer still living in Alabama.

Humanity never ceases to amaze and horrify. Source.

Here's a contribution: The Green Man. A man horribly disfigured as a youth takes long walks at night to not terrify his neighbors, and creates an urban legend that outlives his humble exsistance. The photo's worth clicking through for.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope

SheepNameKiller posted:

An entire apartment building exploded in Harlem from a gas leak no more than 2 months ago or so. It happened about 5 minutes after my train passed the building, which was adjacent to the tracks.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2014_East_Harlem_apartment_buildings_explosion

This happened on my block, and I was home. I was okay, my cat was okay, my window was not. If I had been having a slightly less lazy day, I probably would have been right outside, waiting to cross the street at Park.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

LawfulWaffle posted:

Here's a contribution: The Green Man. A man horribly disfigured as a youth takes long walks at night to not terrify his neighbors, and creates an urban legend that outlives his humble exsistance. The photo's worth clicking through for.

Wikipedia posted:

Local residents, who would drive along his road in hopes of meeting him, called him The Green Man or Charlie No-Face

Goddamn, people :laugh:

Ebola Roulette
Sep 13, 2010

No matter what you win lose ragepiss.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jeffrey_Dahmer

This whole article is :stonk: and I don't know where to start but here are a few quotes:

quote:

From an early age, Dahmer manifested an interest in animals. Friends later recalled Dahmer initially collected large insects, dragonflies and butterflies which he placed inside jars. Later, Dahmer—occasionally accompanied by one or more of his few friends—would collect animal carcasses from the roadside; these animals Dahmer would dismember either at home or in an expanse of woodland behind the family home. According to one friend, Dahmer would dismember these animals and store the parts in jars in the family's wooden toolshed, always explaining that he was curious as to how each animal "fitted together."

quote:

In September 1988, Dahmer's grandmother asked him to move out of her house both because of his habit of bringing young men to her house late at night and because of the foul smells she had noted emanating from both the basement and the garage.

quote:

By 1991, fellow residents of the Oxford Apartments had complained of the smells emanating from Apartment 213, in addition to the sounds of falling objects and the occasional sound of a chainsaw.

I won't spoil the rest but god drat is this hosed up. Especially the part where cops could prevent the murder of a 14 year old boy but they were too racist and homophobic to do anything :smith:

SlothBear
Jan 25, 2009

rayne503 posted:

This whole article is :stonk: and I don't know where to start but here are a few quotes:

I won't spoil the rest but god drat is this hosed up. Especially the part where cops could prevent the murder of a 14 year old boy but they were too racist and homophobic to do anything :smith:

So many serial killer histories read like this. A lot of "well gee when we saw the pile of corpses the first time we should have known something was up but we figured somebody else would fix it" going around.

I think other than Dahmer the Richard Chase one is my favorite. Dude put a rabbit in a blender and injected it into himself, they took him to a psych ward the doctors were like "pff he's fine." and he went on to murder more people.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Richard_Chase

SlothBear has a new favorite as of 22:53 on Jul 28, 2014

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

rayne503 posted:

http://www.derfcity.com/store/dahmerpage.html more about Dahmer can be read in this story by Derf Backderf.

Cobweb Heart
Mar 31, 2010

I need you to wear this. I need you to wear this all the time. It's office policy.

Manuel Calavera posted:

http://www.derfcity.com/store/dahmerpage.html more about Dahmer can be read in this story by Derf Backderf.

This is a really good book. It really is amazing how little people gave a poo poo about what was going on in his life. His parents were both alive but never noticed or cared to do anything. He had a huge and blatant drinking problem in high school that every teacher ignored.

It's honestly hard to read it and not become a little sympathetic to Dahmer; he knew he was hosed from the start and wasn't able to get anyone to help him.

Quint Gets Eaten
Apr 23, 2014

Cobweb Heart posted:

This is a really good book. It really is amazing how little people gave a poo poo about what was going on in his life. His parents were both alive but never noticed or cared to do anything. He had a huge and blatant drinking problem in high school that every teacher ignored.

It's honestly hard to read it and not become a little sympathetic to Dahmer; he knew he was hosed from the start and wasn't able to get anyone to help him.

Glad I'm not the only one with a little bit of sympathy for Dahmer. He's the only serial killer I've ever read an entire book on (and I have read quite a few) and come away from it with some sympathy toward the subject, as apposed to abject disgust. He did terrible things, but it was a perfect storm of poo poo that set him on that path. The fact that he killed not out of hatred but because he wanted a partner who could never leave him is sort of heartbreaking. The 2002 movie starring Jeremey Renner does a pretty good job of portraying him as both a monster and an actual human being, I would recommend it.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

Yeah....he lobotomized people. No matter how lovely of a life he had, I can't feel sympathy for him.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

For me, I would say that I understand how he became such a broken person, but would never have sympathy for him. The abuse and neglect he was subjected to explains it, but it certainly doesn't excuse his actions. Lots of people come from horrible broken homes or endure way worse hardships than he did and still manage not to try and create a zombie love partner by pouring acid into someone's skull.

Inevitable
Jul 27, 2007

by Ralp

IShallRiseAgain posted:

Yeah....he lobotomized people. No matter how lovely of a life he had, I can't feel sympathy for him.

It's too bad we can't organize a goonmeet with him. I bet awesome kittens might have a friend who could have turned his life around.

Cobweb Heart
Mar 31, 2010

I need you to wear this. I need you to wear this all the time. It's office policy.

Solice Kirsk posted:

For me, I would say that I understand how he became such a broken person, but would never have sympathy for him. The abuse and neglect he was subjected to explains it, but it certainly doesn't excuse his actions. Lots of people come from horrible broken homes or endure way worse hardships than he did and still manage not to try and create a zombie love partner by pouring acid into someone's skull.

His weird desires weren't caused by abuse and neglect, they arose naturally and the social ostracization he experienced left him alone with his thoughts and let them take over his mind. He wasn't born wanting to dismember people, just reserved and unable to connect to others, and there simply wasn't anything stopping him from spiralling down into hell when there should have been plenty of things. Nowadays it would be much tougher for anyone to live the life he did.

IIRC he started killing just a few weeks after he got out of high school and his parents left him alone for good. Society failed Dahmer and, by extension, everyone he hurt. It doesn't excuse his actions at all, it was still his fault, but being Dahmer must've blown really hard. He was a gay reclusive teenager alcoholic in the 70s, who could tell that his compulsive thoughts were leading him straight to bad poo poo but never had the strength to stop. I don't see why I can't feel sympathetic towards everyone involved in his story.

Cobweb Heart has a new favorite as of 07:24 on Jul 29, 2014

nocal
Mar 7, 2007

Solice Kirsk posted:

I suppose being unsympathetic towards a true, convicted serial killer is an iconoclastic position worth sharing. Then again ~60% of cases of schizophrenia are diagnosed after age 19, so maybe there's a chance you'll gain some sympathy in the future.

The Dickens
Mar 31, 2010

Cobweb Heart posted:

His weird desires weren't caused by abuse and neglect, they arose naturally and the social ostracization he experienced left him alone with his thoughts and let them take over his mind. He wasn't born wanting to dismember people, just reserved and unable to connect to others, and there simply wasn't anything stopping him from spiralling down into hell when there should have been plenty of things. Nowadays it would be much tougher for anyone to live the life he did.

IIRC he started killing just a few weeks after he got out of high school and his parents left him alone for good. Society failed Dahmer and, by extension, everyone he hurt. It doesn't excuse his actions at all, it was still his fault, but being Dahmer must've blown really hard. He was a gay reclusive teenager alcoholic in the 70s, who could tell that his compulsive thoughts were leading him straight to bad poo poo but never had the strength to stop. I don't see why I can't feel sympathetic towards everyone involved in his story.

Wasn't it a Stone Phillips interview while he was in prison where he'd gotten...I wouldn't say 'upset,' given his demeanor, but had several times stated his childhood and upbringing were relatively normal? IIRC, it was him and his father, his father questioning like any parent would, is there something I did or didn't do that could have helped this, something I could have done that would have saved the victims. And then Dahmer saying he was a normal kid with normal parents and expressing some measure of irritation that anybody would suggest his mother had some hand in his evil.

salty fries make me cry
Oct 3, 2007

~~i'm outside ur window~~
~throwin bricks at teh moon~
IIRC Dahmer knew he had some dark, hosed up demons and tried to fight it by drinking a shitload to drown them out but it ended up making them worse and also drove him into heavy alcoholism. I recall reading something from him where he said alcoholism was what caused him to hit the tipping point into the really dark poo poo he did.

Quint Gets Eaten
Apr 23, 2014

The Dickens posted:

Wasn't it a Stone Phillips interview while he was in prison where he'd gotten...I wouldn't say 'upset,' given his demeanor, but had several times stated his childhood and upbringing were relatively normal? IIRC, it was him and his father, his father questioning like any parent would, is there something I did or didn't do that could have helped this, something I could have done that would have saved the victims. And then Dahmer saying he was a normal kid with normal parents and expressing some measure of irritation that anybody would suggest his mother had some hand in his evil.

I remember this interview and yeah, he said it made him upset when people blamed his parents for the way he turned out, that it was all his fault and no one else's, etc. His father (despite being a young earth creationist, wtf) seemed pretty with it and had some degree of self-awareness about the whole thing and admitted he had hosed up in a lot of ways, if memory serves. They did a separate interview with the mother, however, and she was completely out of her mind and insisted repeatedly that they had done absolutely nothing wrong in raising him.

Not sure if the "it's not my parents' fault" thing was Dahmer doing what little damage control he could, but yeah, I'm still gonna say that lovely parenting had a hand in the way he turned out.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Tons of wealthy suburban people have distant, cold parents. It's only really a problem if you're compelled to kill and maim, really. If he were just a regular guy, he'd just hate them and call at Christmas from the giant house he bought with his wildly successful partner who he met in college while getting a lucrative degree in chemical engineering.

The odds just didn't favor the parents in this case. See also the kids who did the Columbine shooting, whose parents fit the same profile.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

nocal posted:

I suppose being unsympathetic towards a true, convicted serial killer is an iconoclastic position worth sharing. Then again ~60% of cases of schizophrenia are diagnosed after age 19, so maybe there's a chance you'll gain some sympathy in the future.

I didn't think Dahmer was a Schizophrenic. And once again that explains it but doesn't excuse it. I'm not saying no one can have sympathy for him, in fact I can see how a lot of people would. I'm just saying I don't.

The Richard Chase case is a lot scarier. An institution had him, apparently got him stabilized with medication, and released him just to have his mother take him off his meds and him go on a murder spree.

BigPoot
Jan 16, 2013

Quint Gets Eaten posted:

I remember this interview and yeah, he said it made him upset when people blamed his parents for the way he turned out, that it was all his fault and no one else's, etc. His father (despite being a young earth creationist, wtf) seemed pretty with it and had some degree of self-awareness about the whole thing and admitted he had hosed up in a lot of ways, if memory serves. They did a separate interview with the mother, however, and she was completely out of her mind and insisted repeatedly that they had done absolutely nothing wrong in raising him.

Not sure if the "it's not my parents' fault" thing was Dahmer doing what little damage control he could, but yeah, I'm still gonna say that lovely parenting had a hand in the way he turned out.

From what I remember (and I admit it's been awhile since I've done any reading on the case), his parents weren't physically or sexually abusive, which is probably what the public assumed and thus his need to defend them. But from the sound of things they were just distant and the stereotypically "cold" parents.

Given his homosexuality at a time where that was demonized, alcoholism, and likely undiagnosed mental illness or personality disorders, it was just a shitstorm. If his parents had noticed and tried to intervene it could have potentially helped him, but by no means is that a definite.

I think he gets more sympathy because he knew he was hosed up, and he didn't seem to be solely murdering for sexual gratification or power. Sure, those two things were in there, but mixed in with that desire to emotionally connect with someone it seems more horrifically misguided than the pure evil narcissism of the likes of Ted Bundy.

SlothBear
Jan 25, 2009

Solice Kirsk posted:

The Richard Chase case is a lot scarier. An institution had him, apparently got him stabilized with medication, and released him just to have his mother take him off his meds and him go on a murder spree.

He wasn't stabilized at all. It was just a revolving door clinic where they drug someone until they're comatose declare them cured and boot them out for the next guy. Very little treatment occurs in state mental hospitals.

Leon Einstein
Feb 6, 2012
I must win every thread in GBS. I don't care how much banal semantic quibbling and shitty posts it takes.
I've read that Dahmer was a normal and happy baby, but got sick and was hospitalized for 9 weeks or so. His mother said he was never the same after that.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

BigPoot posted:

From what I remember (and I admit it's been awhile since I've done any reading on the case), his parents weren't physically or sexually abusive, which is probably what the public assumed and thus his need to defend them. But from the sound of things they were just distant and the stereotypically "cold" parents.

Given his homosexuality at a time where that was demonized, alcoholism, and likely undiagnosed mental illness or personality disorders, it was just a shitstorm. If his parents had noticed and tried to intervene it could have potentially helped him, but by no means is that a definite.

I think he gets more sympathy because he knew he was hosed up, and he didn't seem to be solely murdering for sexual gratification or power. Sure, those two things were in there, but mixed in with that desire to emotionally connect with someone it seems more horrifically misguided than the pure evil narcissism of the likes of Ted Bundy.

I feel like the biggest tipping point in Dahmer's case was the social isolation after high school. He didn't have a lot of friends in school but he at least had some people that spoke to him. Social isolation can to terrible, terrible things to a person; bad enough that long term solitary confinement is considered literal torture. Immediately after he graduated that social surrounding vanished, his parents divorced, and the house he was living in was totally vacated. He was alone, had nothing to do all day, and had no direction in life. Coupled with alcoholism and mental illness it was almost guaranteed at least something was going to go terribly wrong.

Having parents that are cold and distant is actually a major component of developing borderline disorder, which he apparently had; that can lead to feelings of hopelessness, fear of abandonment, and emptiness. Apparently that was a major component in the drugging and murdering. He was longing for social contact but was terrified of losing it again. I find the case of Dahmer more tragic than anything and feel like it was a failure of society as a whole. We obviously can't know for sure but it looks like if somebody just sat down and was his friend after high school, got him to lay off the sauce, and kept him afloat he could have not turned out to be a hideous murderer. Unfortunately for the victims his social circle evaporated and he didn't get the help that he needed. What he did was deplorable, yes, but I feel like it could largely have been prevented.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

SlothBear posted:

He wasn't stabilized at all. It was just a revolving door clinic where they drug someone until they're comatose declare them cured and boot them out for the next guy. Very little treatment occurs in state mental hospitals.

Well thats even better then. God drat our mental health (and whole health system in general) is so hosed up in this country. Canada looks better and better every year.

Quint Gets Eaten
Apr 23, 2014

BigPoot posted:

Exactly. His actions were evil, but it was out of a desperate need for the companionship he had been denied his entire life. Plus he had a level of self-awareness that is startling for someone who committed the crimes that he did. I remember Park Dietz (famous forensic psychiatrist) saying in an interview that out of the people he's evaluated, he actually liked Dahmer because he was so forthcoming and honest, and that he was probably the only person in the world who was sad when Dahmer was murdered in prison aside from his father.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stickyfngrdboy
Oct 21, 2010
Dahmer had a guy's head in a box. His dad asked him to open the box, and Dahmer refused. His dad threatened to open it, thinking it was porn, but they fought and he never did. If I was the dad that would be the only thing I'd feel guilty about, because it could have stopped earlier had he opened that box, but even that's a stretch.