Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

Musk threatens the inorganic promotion of left-wing ideology that had been taking place on the platform

Block me for being an unironic DeSantis fan, too!

Josh Lyman posted:

Didn't have the balls to buy HLF calls. Could have retired by now. :(

By what % did the calls go up? Anyone know?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cheesemaster200
Feb 11, 2004

Guard of the Citadel
Apple chat time!

They hit earnings right on the mark, if not a bit under. All growth seemed to have come from China and emerging markets via iPhone sales. US based revenue increase was only 1%. iPad sales declined again.

We'll see what the market had priced in tomorrow.

Foma
Oct 1, 2004
Hello, My name is Lip Synch. Right now, I'm making a post that is anti-bush or something Micheal Moore would be proud of because I and the rest of my team lefty friends (koba1t included) need something to circle jerk to.
Herbalife

http://brontecapital.blogspot.com/

I quite like the guy behind Bronte Capital and he has done a good job actually putting boots on the ground and visiting a random club or two. http://brontecapital.blogspot.com/2013/01/notes-on-visiting-herbalife-nutrition.html

I think it is a scummy company, but EA is a scummy company, Comcast is a scummy company, it doesn't seem unusual or out of place. Maybe even a bit better than Mary Kay

Stoned Sheep
Jun 21, 2010

LLCoolJD posted:

By what % did the calls go up? Anyone know?

Not sure on the various other strikes but I recall looking at the 63 weekly call when HLF was trading at 55 and they were .20c, they hit $5 :suicide:

Zerstorung
Jun 27, 2008
My trailing stop on GLUU hit today to realize a 20% gain. Deciding if I want to use that as an excuse to gamble on the potential AMD bottom and possibly ride that train up to $4 again. Need something to keep me entertained until BABA, at least.

Acquilae
May 15, 2013

Baddog posted:

crazy short squeeze.

Everyone knows the company is bullshit, but that doesn't keep people from buying the stock. At least for now.
I can definitely see a short squeeze continuing over the next few days. People must really hate Bill Ackman(and/or love Carl Icahn) if they squeezed the stock this much after he was on CNBC yesterday hyping up what seemed to be an all-in move for this morning.

Lelorox
Jul 28, 2013

BFC SLACKER 2014

Zerstorung posted:

My trailing stop on GLUU hit today to realize a 20% gain. Deciding if I want to use that as an excuse to gamble on the potential AMD bottom and possibly ride that train up to $4 again. Need something to keep me entertained until BABA, at least.

I've been playing AMD roulette for the past couple quarters and correctly sold my stock at $4.55 before earnings and bought $4.00 puts(which appreciated 130% when I sold them. Could have been 200% but I forgot to put in stops) That being said, I think I'm done with AMD for the foreseeable future. Take a look at the numbers from this quarter's earnings report.
http://www.google.com/finance?q=NYSE:AMD&fstype=ii

Revenue is flat-lining and if what is being said about the PC refresh cycle is true(look at INTC,) AMD should have seen a nice bump in rev this quarter. I might buy some more very OTM puts for fun if AMD goes back into the 4.00 range.

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

Musk threatens the inorganic promotion of left-wing ideology that had been taking place on the platform

Stoned Sheep posted:

Not sure on the various other strikes but I recall looking at the 63 weekly call when HLF was trading at 55 and they were .20c, they hit $5 :suicide:

Woah.

Whoever had the stones to buy calls on HLF deserve the money, I guess.

manwithoutskin
Mar 24, 2006
can you see the line where the water ends
As someone who is looking to get into investing, are there any new and improved readings you may have heard about or should I dive into the OPs list as the basics are still basics?

ayekappy
Aug 22, 2004

Brie Cheesin'
Bought HLF puts, lol.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost
Could someone explain to me what happened to BA this morning? They release a good earnings report and the stock goes down over 2%. Is there something in the earnings report that I'm missing? I'm no expert, so this could be likely.

EDIT: Is it because of the reductions in operating cash flow?

ayekappy
Aug 22, 2004

Brie Cheesin'

Solkanar512 posted:

Could someone explain to me what happened to BA this morning? They release a good earnings report and the stock goes down over 2%. Is there something in the earnings report that I'm missing? I'm no expert, so this could be likely.

EDIT: Is it because of the reductions in operating cash flow?

Bigger money had bigger expectations?

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

ayekappy posted:

Bigger money had bigger expectations?

I guess that's always the answer, right?

EDIT: In case anyone was curious, there are new concerns over the costs of the KC-46A.

Solkanar512 fucked around with this message at 19:41 on Jul 23, 2014

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

jmzero posted:

Right or wrong, the furthest out I can bet (at least in terms of what shows on my trading site) is Jan 2016 - and I don't think the shoe will have finished dropping by then.

Is this limit something imposed by the SEC/law - like, There Shall Be No Options beyond that date - or just a market convention, e.g., in theory one could sit down with enough lawyers and regulators and whatever and write a put or call contract with any date one wanted, and offer that contract for sale?

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Saw this...

Checked my account...

Oh hey, I still own some FB. :krad:

ayekappy
Aug 22, 2004

Brie Cheesin'
Welp, not buying puts anymore for a while.

Acquilae
May 15, 2013

Josh Lyman posted:

I was too lazy to analyze option activity when I came home so did a small earnings bet on Facebook of 30 shares about 2 minutes the close. Facepalmed at first but then went "I don't hate this anymore."

Also, SPX all time highs and VIX up as well so maybe we're in for a top?

resident
Dec 22, 2005

WE WERE ALL UP IN THAT SHIT LIKE A MUTHAFUCKA. IT'S CLEANER THAN A BROKE DICK DOG.

Josh Lyman posted:

Saw this...

Checked my account...

I would imagine jamming sponsored posts and ads down everyones' throats works well but who knows for how long. Facebook seems to be inundated with sponsored poo poo lately and I'd probably close my account if I wasn't using it for wedding planning purposes.

ayekappy
Aug 22, 2004

Brie Cheesin'

Acquilae posted:

I was too lazy to analyze option activity when I came home so did a small earnings bet on Facebook of 30 shares about 2 minutes the close. Facepalmed at first but then went "I don't hate this anymore."

Also, SPX all time highs and VIX up as well so maybe we're in for a top?

And this:

My FB puts, raped. Thankfully a pitiful % of my account.

My other puts, maybe not so bad now.

Otherwise I do have bullish calls.

Will win either way unless flat, which I highly doubt.

edit: If we don't correct soon, I swear upon all that is good that $TAN and all the solars are poised for a huge breakout. $SCTY $FSLR $SPWR $SUNE, pick your poison.

ayekappy fucked around with this message at 02:25 on Jul 24, 2014

ayekappy
Aug 22, 2004

Brie Cheesin'

Sentiment.

nebby
Dec 21, 2000
resident mog
Though "lol" is usually shitposting, that aptly sums up my experience buying HLF puts as well.

ayekappy
Aug 22, 2004

Brie Cheesin'

nebby posted:

Though "lol" is usually shitposting, that aptly sums up my experience buying HLF puts as well.

loving Icahn

Foma
Oct 1, 2004
Hello, My name is Lip Synch. Right now, I'm making a post that is anti-bush or something Micheal Moore would be proud of because I and the rest of my team lefty friends (koba1t included) need something to circle jerk to.

resident posted:

I would imagine jamming sponsored posts and ads down everyones' throats works well but who knows for how long. Facebook seems to be inundated with sponsored poo poo lately and I'd probably close my account if I wasn't using it for wedding planning purposes.

They are horrible, I'd quit them but companies are usually good to invest in. They have moat, there customers don't have options so they get margins.

Pixelboy
Sep 13, 2005

Now, I know what you're thinking...
My wife won't let me go to Vegas, so instead I play with options.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Pixelboy posted:

My wife won't let me go to Vegas, so instead I play with options.

apparently.

why the gently caress are so many people posting about herballife? I feel like I should really unsubscribe from this thread :( y'all make me so cross sometimes

ayekappy
Aug 22, 2004

Brie Cheesin'

mindphlux posted:

apparently.

why the gently caress are so many people posting about herballife? I feel like I should really unsubscribe from this thread :( y'all make me so cross sometimes

It is a major stock that has moved 10% in two consecutive days via a billionaire battle and thus is a valid topic for discussion?

Hanpan
Dec 5, 2004

Lots of stories about FB hitting 78 or 79 today. It's hella fun watching the StockTwits feed freaking out at every move.

ayekappy
Aug 22, 2004

Brie Cheesin'
Euphoria

ayekappy
Aug 22, 2004

Brie Cheesin'
ul ul ultra combo with the AMZN puts

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

This fucker should go to jail, but he won't, because :911:: http://finance.yahoo.com/news/sodastream-trader-makes-3000-profit-164133832.html

quote:

Two minutes before 10 a.m. ET on Thursday, one options trader bought 500 weekly 30-strike calls in Sodastream for 15 cents each (or $15 per contract, given that each contract controls 100 shares) that expire Friday. It was by far the biggest Sodastream trade of the day in terms of the number of contracts. The purchase gives the trader the right to buy Sodastream shares for $30 at the close of Friday trading. The reason those options were so inexpensive is that the stock was trading at about $29.50 at the time, meaning the chance of the stock closing Friday above $30 was considered to be especially low.

But then, shortly before noon, Bloomberg reported that the company is in talks with an investment firm about taking the company private. After a halt, the stock sailed as high as $36.

The news created an instant windfall for the trader, as these options, which were bought for $7,500, became worth as much as $250,000.

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

This poo poo goes on all the time. Remember when Buffet bought a stake in Heinz?

http://www.forbes.com/sites/jordanmaglich/2013/02/14/was-warren-buffetts-heinz-acquisition-leaked-suspicious-options-data-points-to-yes/

Shear Modulus posted:

What happened to that Heinz guy, anyway?

e: beaten

This, probably:

LLCoolJD fucked around with this message at 22:50 on Jul 24, 2014

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

ayekappy posted:

Tightened my stops after riding the stock itself up 13%, now its all gone after hours before any chance to move. Wasn't thinking, should've bought puts and left stops alone. Boooooo.

Kal Torak
Jul 17, 2003

When Giles sends me on a mission, he says "please". And afterwards I get a cookie.

Shear Modulus posted:

They were fined $5M.
http://www.forbes.com/sites/jordanm...settle-charges/

Stoned Sheep
Jun 21, 2010

http://www.forbes.com/sites/erincarlyle/2014/07/24/zillow-and-trulia-marriage-would-be-another-home-run-for-chase-coleman/

My goodness what a squeeeeeeze! Unfortunately my $150 Z calls expired last week, why did I buy monthlies OpEx is always a pinfest :vince:

Acquilae
May 15, 2013

ayekappy posted:

I hate AMZN just as much as miners; shorted it last year before earnings (which missed) and the stock dived, but recovered after Bezos started the conference call and did his voodoo BS to make the stock go higher.

Also, I'm having tons of fun doing /ES futures scalping with 1-3 contracts but then again, in this bull market it's not hard to buy the dips because bulls overpower any selling. Using volume profile to trade based on value areas and market internals (breadth, advance/decline, and ticks) are by far the most useful pieces of technical analysis I've ever used for trading.

orange sky
May 7, 2007

Why does the Motley Fool insist on promoting Invensense stock, is it just a pump and dump?

ohgodwhat
Aug 6, 2005

Every article I've read there has sounded like a pump and dump.

orange sky
May 7, 2007

And since it's just hearsay they can't be charged with anything... Heh.

~Disclaimer~ Only my wife owns shares in this company, not me! I swear!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Anyone still holding onto their HLF puts?