Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

coffeetable posted:

use a library

it's not an actual .config file, just some data to set how some of my program works. maybe i should change it to a properly formatted config file so i can do it properly

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

pointsofdata posted:

just checking: does setting variables from config files always look kind of crap? i've got a load of fields and a big stream reader method setting them one by one as it goes through the file

in java use properties files that are either loaded via Properties class OR load the properties file via your spring config.

in c# use appSettings if its a web or just regular Settings if its a desktop app

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill
this week's improvement: finished converting all my java stuff to use maven. should have done it ages ago, all the xml put me off but it's really not that bad and holy poo poo everything else is so good

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

maven schemas are documented, editing poms in intellij is fuckin sw8

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

use a property tree from the boost libraries

Nolgthorn
Jan 30, 2001

The pendulum of the mind alternates between sense and nonsense
In an effort to address the topic at hand asynchronous code gets run when something that cannot happen immediately would otherwise hold up execution of the thingy. So it goes on about doing other stuff instead of waiting. Then you have two threads both doing stuff once the first thing isn't waiting to execute anymore. This can cause all kinds of problems so it's important to know when it will happen and program with it in mind.

JewKiller 3000
Nov 28, 2006

by Lowtax
concurrency and parallelism are different things. you can have non-blocking io without multiple threads executing at once, and you can have a parallel program that doesn't use anything asynchronous. the concepts often get confused because you can use threads to implement either one (although that is rarely the ideal solution)

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene
at some point i realized i am a terrible programmer. threads and locking are where monsters dwell.

the only times i use concurrency OR parallelism is when a library does it for me. e.g. dispatching tasks to threadpools, handling http requests in threads.

if i ever invoke a locking primitive or spawn a thread by hand the hair rises on the back of my neck.

theadder
Dec 30, 2011

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

at some point i realized i am a terrible programmer.

yes

Blinkz0rz
May 27, 2001

MY CONTEMPT FOR MY OWN EMPLOYEES IS ONLY MATCHED BY MY LOVE FOR TOM BRADY'S SWEATY MAGA BALLS
i decided to do a quick tooling project in ruby

why

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

i thought about programming today, but i sat outside in the sun instead

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

at some point i realized i am a terrible programmer. threads and locking are where monsters dwell.

the only times i use concurrency OR parallelism is when a library does it for me. e.g. dispatching tasks to threadpools, handling http requests in threads.

if i ever invoke a locking primitive or spawn a thread by hand the hair rises on the back of my neck.

handling synchronization myself has only ever led to pain and regret. if it seems like a threadpool wont handle my concurrency needs, generally the best thing is to reshape my problem until it will

Blinkz0rz
May 27, 2001

MY CONTEMPT FOR MY OWN EMPLOYEES IS ONLY MATCHED BY MY LOVE FOR TOM BRADY'S SWEATY MAGA BALLS

BONGHITZ posted:

i thought about programming today, but i sat outside in the sun instead

but my pasty skin

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

Alfred Pennyworth: Took quite a BURN, didn't we, Master Bruce?
Thomas Wayne: And why do we BURN, Bruce? So we can learn to pick OUR SKIN up.

double sulk
Jul 2, 2010

coffeetable posted:

and while checking that i got the names right for those, ive just spotted Seven Concurrency Models in Seven Weeks which is deffo going on my reading list

I bought this today as I think it seems like a nice book. It has a little blurb on the back from José Valim who is a cool guy.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

i was just browsing a website and it got really slow then there was a popup box that said "out of stack space"

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010

MeramJert posted:

i was just browsing a website and it got really slow then there was a popup box that said "out of stack space"
welcome to the future

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

shockingly, company that wants to hire people who know c# doesn't want to hire me because i don't know c#

they said they'd be glad to talk to me again after their current project is over though!!! in november lol

i'm still really depressed because it's the only tech job that's interviewed me within 40 miles

Careful Drums
Oct 30, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Luigi Thirty posted:

shockingly, company that wants to hire people who know c# doesn't want to hire me because i don't know c#

they said they'd be glad to talk to me again after their current project is over though!!! in november lol

i'm still really depressed because it's the only tech job that's interviewed me within 40 miles

:sympathy: rejection sucks but you gotta keep trying

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Luigi Thirty posted:

All Programmers Should Know C# And Java

my homie dhall
Dec 9, 2010

honey, oh please, it's just a machine

Luigi Thirty posted:

i beliv in u luigi30

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Shaggar posted:

All Programmers Should Know C# And Java

shaggar... was right?

Careful Drums posted:

:sympathy: rejection sucks but you gotta keep trying

i have the untreated sadbrains because lol retail insurance and it's hard enough to motivate myself to get out of bed let alone read this c# book that I saw in the op of the .net COBOL thread

MeruFM
Jul 27, 2010
are you familiar with java?

C# is that
with more decorator things

and lets you use .net so you get to use msdn instead of stackoverflow

why learn cobol?

oh nevermind

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

lol @ reading books, just lol

i wish i could read books

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

MeruFM posted:

are you familiar with java?

C# is that
with more decorator things

and lets you use .net so you get to use msdn instead of stackoverflow

why learn cobol?

oh nevermind

I know of it!!! I am okay at C++ and good at python but I do not use java outside of FactoryFactoryFactory jokes

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord

Luigi Thirty posted:

I do not use java outside of FactoryFactoryFactory jokes

this is pretty much everyone who makes these jokes

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

Luigi Thirty posted:

we totally are just looking for smart, motivated people who can learn what they need to do the job

oh wait after we interviewed you 4 times we realized that this would mean you don't already know everything you need to know to do the job. no thanks

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

is there a good resource on making web pages that arent retarded. because i have to do a web at work and it's retarded and i'm retarded and i can feel the tech debt piling up. today i committed some JS that works but i don't know why and i dont care enough to figure it out. someone tell me how to make webs the right way

and i have to use php so telling me to use razor and knockoutjs isnt gonna fly

Socracheese
Oct 20, 2008

if you'r;e using php it sounds like its going completely by the book

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

the php is actually going ok and the retardedness on the server is mostly under control. but i have to add features to a jquery form thing with tables and inline css everywhere. it was written by an intern if that helps to understand the problem i'm facing. it's like the idiot child of 1995 and single page webapps

so

how do i make it sane. preferably doing as little work as possible

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

help i can't get my boss to use version control what do i do our files are all saved with "backups" named like form.html, formgood.html, formold.html, formbak.html, formbak2.html

on a production server

you can even access the old versions by going to that url

Socracheese
Oct 20, 2008

no you dont get it, thats exactly how php webdev plays out. you could i guess import your work into some php content management system but literally every single one is garbage and it sounds like you'd lose or be forced to rewrite a lot of your stuff at this point.

lmao, tables and inline css.

the only fix is a rope and a sturdy rafter

cowboy beepboop
Feb 24, 2001

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA posted:

help i can't get my boss to use version control what do i do our files are all saved with "backups" named like form.html, formgood.html, formold.html, formbak.html, formbak2.html

on a production server

revoke his access to the server. you're in ops, right?

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

my stepdads beer posted:

revoke his access to the server. you're in ops, right?

I like making outrageous amounts of money though!

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA posted:

on a production server

install gentoo

Kevin Mitnick P.E. posted:

is there a good resource on making web pages that arent retarded. because i have to do a web at work and it's retarded and i'm retarded and i can feel the tech debt piling up. today i committed some JS that works but i don't know why and i dont care enough to figure it out. someone tell me how to make webs the right way

and i have to use php so telling me to use razor and knockoutjs isnt gonna fly

make sure you echo() each line of HTML separately you don't want the server to get confused

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
how can I cook a healthy gourmet meal? btw my only source of heat is a candle and I can't use any ingredients apart from regurgitated mcnuggets.

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

Socracheese posted:

no you dont get it, thats exactly how php webdev plays out. you could i guess import your work into some php content management system but literally every single one is garbage and it sounds like you'd lose or be forced to rewrite a lot of your stuff at this point.

lmao, tables and inline css.

the only fix is a rope and a sturdy rafter

i was hoping for something more reassuring like "use angularjs it will totally fix everything"

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

nah you're hosed basically

Socracheese
Oct 20, 2008

hi i'd like to publish my novel, i painted all the words on the side of a burning shed, in sanskrit, whats a simple way to just automatically put my book onto amazon?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison

Kevin Mitnick P.E. posted:

i was hoping for something more reassuring like "use angularjs it will totally fix everything"

as long as everything includes "not using PHP"

• Locked thread