Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sithsaber
Apr 8, 2014

by Ion Helmet

Sydin posted:

It would make zero sense not to air Book 4. It's already been funded and is in production. Airing it with abysmal ratings will still recoup more cost than not airing it at all.

Seeing how most of us watch this online (let's not kid ourselves), Nick should sell the series to Netflix.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dj_clawson
Jan 12, 2004

We are all sinners in the eyes of these popsicle sticks.
The show is mostly watched by adults; Nick is not in the business of marketing to adults. It cannot sell advertising space for companies that sell to adults because it's not part of its general business structure. Adults are also more likely to watch it online, which skips commercials. Basically, they're probably LOSING money on Avatar and trying to figure out a way to stop that from happening, and burning off episodes as quickly as possible wasn't working for them, so they're pausing to do some thinking.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Sydin posted:

It would make zero sense not to air Book 4. It's already been funded and is in production. Airing it with abysmal ratings will still recoup more cost than not airing it at all.

Not if they sold the rights. This exact thing happened with Clone Wars.

AshB
Sep 16, 2007
It would be seriously great if this show were put on by Netflix instead. I don't know the logistics behind that kind of thing, but I would love it.

Sithsaber
Apr 8, 2014

by Ion Helmet

AshB posted:

It would be seriously great if this show were put on by Netflix instead. I don't know the logistics behind that kind of thing, but I would love it.

Is it too late to add in ice impailment and firearms?

Jorghnassen
Oct 1, 2007
Glouton des fjords
Oh, mid-season hiatus, how I had missed thee! :allears: Not! :cry:

Are they thinking doing the same as they did with Avatar, they'll get A:TLA ratings? As frustrating as the waits within and between seasons were, they might have helped in building the audience, giving time for new people to catch-up in the olden days of less internet availability... Or perhaps since the critics and fans are happier with this season, they think a hiatus and better promotion could work out to rebuild an audience for this book and the next. They're unlikely to lose those hooked on the new season at this point, are they?

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It
This great new series that you ``~~CANT VIEW ONLINE~~``

Or anywhere else!

Babygravy
Jun 12, 2014

I am the gravy
So is Omashu a city state or do we think it has control of the region to the serpents pass?

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Sydin posted:

If Nick thinks they can make more money by airing Spongebob reruns or whatever in the spot Korra would be then unfortunately it would make perfect sense to not air it, or just put it in a timeslot where low ratings won't matter as much. The reality is that just because they've produced it doesn't mean it will actually get aired, assuming the news is true (won't need to wait long to find out).

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

dj_clawson posted:

The show is mostly watched by adults; Nick is not in the business of marketing to adults. It cannot sell advertising space for companies that sell to adults because it's not part of its general business structure. Adults are also more likely to watch it online, which skips commercials. Basically, they're probably LOSING money on Avatar and trying to figure out a way to stop that from happening, and burning off episodes as quickly as possible wasn't working for them, so they're pausing to do some thinking.
So basically the same reason why Cartoon Network hosed over Symbiotic Titan and the DCAU stuff?

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

Can someone actually confirm that report? So far that's the only site I can find reporting the timeslot changes, and lots of people are discrediting it with their TV listings.

EDIT: Just checked my guide and it also still lists two episodes with the correct titles and descriptions.

DizzyBum fucked around with this message at 00:36 on Jul 24, 2014

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

DizzyBum posted:

Can someone actually confirm that report? So far that's the only site I can find reporting the timeslot changes, and lots of people are discrediting it with their TV listings.

EDIT: Just checked my guide and it also still lists two episodes with the correct titles and descriptions.

Channels have pulled shows or episodes with 0 notice to anybody before so TV listings aren't a 100% guarantee. Cartoon Network, for example, stopped airing Young Justice and the Green Lantern Animated Series with 0 explanation before finishing the seasons a few months later (and then cancelling them), then did the same thing to Beware the Batman only a year later though I don't know if that's cancelled or not.

It won't be long to find out. If only one episode airs this Friday then something is up.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

dj_clawson posted:

Korra originally aired Sat. morning and was getting ~4 million viewers, then Nick started messing with the time slot. Yeah, the show is popular with adults, but you still get an extra million kid viewers when you air it right in the middle of Saturday morning cartoon time.

Whatever their plan was for this show, anyone could have told them from the start they need to maintain a consistent time slot for the show to retain viewing figures, and take advantage of letting people watch the show online with ads.

Jorghnassen
Oct 1, 2007
Glouton des fjords
The Friday night slot, for regular networks, is usually called the death slot. With a kids' channel it's different, but your 8pm crowd is not the same as the Saturday morning one.

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

She was a sword glinting in the depths of night, a lance of light piercing the darkness. There would be no mistakes this time.
Hot off the Tumblr presses.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It
"Can View Online"!??

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

That is literally the worst way to handle this and isn't going to help any rumors at all.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

So basically Online will now the only way to view Korra!

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Nick is pretty much trying to get through the series at this point so the last season can come and go and never have to deal with it again. I don't think we'll see any more Avatar stuff after the fourth season since it's pretty obvious Nick doesn't really care for the show.

I look forward to these guys' books later on in life where they talk about this train-wreck in detail.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Holy crap, this is nonsense.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
If Nickelodeon has told them to gently caress off then the creators can say whatever the gently caress they want at SDCC. It's going to be fantastic.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

ImpAtom posted:

That is literally the worst way to handle this and isn't going to help any rumors at all.

What rumors? It says exactly what's going to happen.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?

Kibayasu posted:

So basically Online will now the only way to view Korra!

Looks like
https://www.facebook.com/MichaelDanteDiMartino

This is bullshit and all... but hey, I'm in Mexico, if they give me an official way to finish the book on Friday then I'm cool with this. Put up book 4 on netflix or something when it's done and keep the comics coming and I'll be satisfied.

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Looking cute, feeling cute.
"Well, now that the show is actually regaining quality, better cancel it."

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
Paging Occupation to this thread so he can :toxx: about this show too.

Crazy Ferret
May 11, 2007

Welp
This is insane. This is an insane way to broadcast a show. I can only hope with how well Netflix is doing with its original content that Korra can enjoy some of that. I just don't understand why Nickelodeon is handling the show so oddly.

Probably Magic posted:

"Well, now that the show is actually regaining quality, better cancel it."

Also this, I was really enjoying the season thus far. Its probably the most consistent of the Korra seasons thus far. I was also really psyched about having Henry Rollins as the villain cause I love me some Rollins.

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

pentyne posted:

If Nickelodeon has told them to gently caress off then the creators can say whatever the gently caress they want at SDCC. It's going to be fantastic.
If you actually think this you're going to be very disappointed.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
Just another instance of the positively bizarre impulse all the animation-carrying networks have been exhibiting for years of self-sabotage and spite. Young Justice, Green Lantern, Scooby-Doo Mystery Incorporated, the DCAU, all that stuff - treated like garbage for no discernible reason.

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
Please change the thread title to Legend of Korra Book 3: We're Not Watching Nickelodeon

Thundercracker
Jun 25, 2004

Proudly serving the Ruinous Powers since as a veteran of the long war.
College Slice
Well, we needed our Korra disappointment for the season.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

DoctorWhat posted:

Just another instance of the positively bizarre impulse all the animation-carrying networks have been exhibiting for years of self-sabotage and spite. Young Justice, Green Lantern, Scooby-Doo Mystery Incorporated, the DCAU, all that stuff - treated like garbage for no discernible reason.
The reason is that they are pissy that no one who watches the shows buys the toys from the ads because they want a certain demo.

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

So is Nickelodeon trying to be the NBC of basic cable? And like it's any wonder their ratings are poo poo when they're proudly trumpeting the fact that they aren't even putting it online instead of finding a way to monetize online content.

achillesforever6 posted:

The reason is that they are pissy that no one who watches the shows buys the toys from the ads because they want a certain demo.

They should be keeping a better eye on long-term gains, since based on the reaction in this thread, I think a lot of us are going to be buying that Korra game from Platinum.

thexerox123 fucked around with this message at 02:23 on Jul 24, 2014

iSheep
Feb 5, 2006

by R. Guyovich

achillesforever6 posted:

They sneak in some car insurance commercials though. Adults love car insurance!

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

iSheep posted:

They sneak in some car insurance commercials though. Adults love car insurance!

Car commercials and car insurance commercials are on literally every network at every time of day barring saturday morning cartoons (maybe).

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

thexerox123 posted:

They should be keeping a better eye on long-term gains, since based on the reaction in this thread, I think a lot of us are going to be buying that Korra game from Platinum.

Except now I would call that into even further question than I already had because no one is going to put a significant amount of money into a game based on a TV show that isn't even on TV. I mean, I was already expecting a pretty low budget effort even with Platinum but now I'd be hopeful for it to reach TMNT - Out of the Shadows levels of good.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

There better be a new episode of Spongebob immediately after Episode 8, and I better see the promo-bar the last 30 seconds with a laughing spongebob drat it!

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

Nonsense posted:

There better be a new episode of Spongebob immediately after Episode 8, and I better see the promo-bar with a laughing spongebob drat it.
We pay $30 to download Book 4, it's just Spongebob laughing in HD for 286 minutes.

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
In Nick's defense, if I was an advertising executive for a children's network, there are more than a few episodes of Korra that I would just have no idea what to do with.
"This week, ON KORRA! Lin is ON SHAKY GROUND as BURIED FEELINGS about her half-sister SURFACE! And a certain BLIND EARTHBENDER is back, and she CAN'T SEE any way to protect her children without LOSING SIGHT of her career!"

"This week, ON KORRA! Tarrlok's past is FLOODING BACK, as he tells Korra and Mako what drove him off THE DEEP END! Will they forgive him for what a big SPLASH he caused? Or will they THROW HIM TO THE WOLVES?! *shot of wolves being tortured with bloodbending*"

SpiderHyphenMan fucked around with this message at 02:58 on Jul 24, 2014

Mecca-Benghazi
Mar 31, 2012

I just finished episode 5 via Xbox Video (I can't watch it on Nick and I'm away from home so no acquiring it by other means :v:) and I'm really liking everything so far, especially compared to season 2. I think I like Zaheer and his gang the best though, I really want to know what their deal is.

Please give us Book 4 in some capacity Nick. :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wildeyes
Nov 3, 2011
gently caress Nickelodeon forever. This probably means gently caress-all coming from someone way outside their target demo, but I am never again in my life watching Nickelodeon or visiting their dumbass website. The way they have treated this show is beyond the pale.

Seriously, put it online. I will buy every episode from this season; I have enjoyed it that much (I was going to do exactly this before I realized Amazon doesn't have all the episodes). Put it on Netflix, I'll buy a subscription just to watch it.

I guess this fiasco couldn't have happened at a better time, what with this being the best season yet. I'm not being sarcastic; I think that means more people will be motivated to support the show.

• Locked thread