Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Silento
Feb 16, 2012

I saw this left-to-right, and at first glance thought it was a blue tiger or some other cat firing lasers from its eyes.

Wow, even Pica isn't giving Zoro a really tough fight? Can't wait to see what actually challenges him then. Maybe someone from Big Mom's ship that Sanji is currently doing something with?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AshB
Sep 16, 2007
Pica isn't a swordsman though. Maybe someone from Wano will be a challenge. So far, the only good New World swordsman we know of other than Mihawk is Vista.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
I still think he'll end up fighting Diamante, who uses a sword and has a fruit power that involves his sword more

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Jose posted:

I still think he'll end up fighting Diamante, who uses a sword and has a fruit power that involves his sword more

Kyros has called dibs already, and the dibs list for Mango is a mile long. Looks like Zoro is going to have to make a wrong turn on his way up and tag in for Sabo.

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

Considering all the Doffy Clones, I think everyone will have their chance for catharsis.

Advice
Feb 17, 2007

Je veux ton amour
Et je veux ton revanche
Je veux ton amour
I don't wanna be friends

AshB posted:

Pica isn't a swordsman though. Maybe someone from Wano will be a challenge. So far, the only good New World swordsman we know of other than Mihawk is Vista.

Getting to Wano will probably involve some Vivi-esque insurrection or betrayal by some of the top swordsmen in the world. I bet Zoro will have his hands full there between having their treasured artifact as a sword and having one of the other best swords in the world.

Star Platinum posted:

I seem to remember Kin'emon also referred to his ability as magic in Punk Hazard, it's probably a Wano thing. Being isolated from the rest of the world, it makes sense that they'd have their own terminology for devil fruit abilities.

I think Oda is just getting creative and doesn't want literally everyone in the series to say "I ate the xx-xx fruit!". Some people have just said it was their "power" or "ability" like Leo. Remember the Occam's Razor of One Piece, aka the Nanomachine Law.

Dragonatrix posted:

I'm pretty sure that his fruit's been confirmed Paramecia for a while. He can't actually transform into stone or shoot it out of his body; only manipulate it in the surrounding area.

It looks like he did both of those things this chapter, though. He shot a rock arm at Zoro which was cut through, then he dissolved from his own body right before he got hit. Then he even appeared in that octopus attack in a shape that isn't really possible given how large his body is, unless he's a logia.

Octopode
Sep 2, 2009

No. I work here. I manage operations for this and integration for this, while making sure that their stuff keeps working in here.

Advice posted:

It looks like he did both of those things this chapter, though. He shot a rock arm at Zoro which was cut through, then he dissolved from his own body right before he got hit. Then he even appeared in that octopus attack in a shape that isn't really possible given how large his body is, unless he's a logia.

He is able to move through/occupy already existing stone and control it, not turn his own body into stone/make stone. He just moved from one set of rocks to another before Zoro cut him, and he used the large amount of stone around him that he could control to make the giant/other shapes.

Punc
Nov 3, 2009

Ass to Ass.
About time we saw some good Zoro action. I really hope we get to the smackdown with Doffy soon, because I want to see what happened with Sanji and Big Mom damnit.

Advice posted:

I think because he's made from earth he can freely move inside it, and he just transported himself to get away from Zoro.

Advice
Feb 17, 2007

Je veux ton amour
Et je veux ton revanche
Je veux ton amour
I don't wanna be friends
So here he shoots a rock arm, I'll give you the benefit of the doubt that his real hand is still there and he just made a bunch of rock around it:

But then here he's clearly manipulating his body in such a way that he can't "really be there" because his shoulders are so broad he would never fit into that space. So unless he's nowhere near there and he's making a representation that looks like his face for no reason at all, I'm inclined to believe he can mold his body into rock and fit through tight space, just like a logia.

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm the quick and the deadly

Advice posted:

So here he shoots a rock arm, I'll give you the benefit of the doubt that his real hand is still there and he just made a bunch of rock around it:

But then here he's clearly manipulating his body in such a way that he can't "really be there" because his shoulders are so broad he would never fit into that space. So unless he's nowhere near there and he's making a representation that looks like his face for no reason at all, I'm inclined to believe he can mold his body into rock and fit through tight space, just like a logia.

Just because its not something that you can normally do, doesn't mean that he has a logia ability. All that paramecia means is that its an ability that doesn't create anything and doesn't turn you into an animal. Paramecia can be literally anything as long as it isn't either of those two.

As far as we know, he is still using stone from the palace and its foundation, he hasn't created any new stone, therefore he's probably paramecia.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
Magellan could create stuff, he just couldn't turn into it and disintegrate or whatever, which is the difference between logia and paramecia. Same as Number 3. The rules are pretty clearly defined, its why logias are considered so strong to most people

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Flameingblack posted:

This chapter was great, and the character trait of the other Samurai is so brilliant and may become my new favorite character.

Seriously, giving someone a devil fruit ability that allows them to have anything they paint come to life given to one of the worst artists in the world is amazing

This is actually the concept of a series called Itsuya-San, where an art teacher is incredibly bad at drawing, but she can make things she draws come to life.

Advice
Feb 17, 2007

Je veux ton amour
Et je veux ton revanche
Je veux ton amour
I don't wanna be friends

Jose posted:

Magellan could create stuff, he just couldn't turn into it and disintegrate or whatever, which is the difference between logia and paramecia. Same as Number 3. The rules are pretty clearly defined, its why logias are considered so strong to most people

And before somebody brings it up, Venom Road was not Magellan turning into poison, he was making a trail of it that was large enough to carry his body and shooting himself to a location. That's the primary distinction I see here, Pica is pretty clearly "melting" into rock to travel around. I'll even give you the benefit of the doubt again and say that when he ducks out of Zoro's attack, he might be "trapdooring" himself out in a split second and just leaving a rock skin identical to his body behind, but that goddamn octopus attack...

Millions
Sep 13, 2007

Do you believe in heroes?
Speaking of "trap doors" I'm seeing Pica's power to teleport around inside of rock formations as sort of Blueno-like. It seems to me that just like Blueno could create doors in air, Pica can "create doors" anywhere along the stone surface he's currently inhabiting.

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm the quick and the deadly

Jose posted:

poo poo I did have that backwards, I'm still leaning towards paramecia though, he seems to just have the ability to become "absorbed" by rock and control it.

On the topic of devil fruit spergin', Bart mentioned his barriers can only be a limited size. I wonder what would have happened had he actually tried to block that attack.

Indigo Cephalopods
Oct 26, 2012

Justice Rains From Above
While Pica's powers certainly seem very logia-like, I don't think he's able to just turn into stone at will, he needs to be touching stone that's already there. In the panel where Zoro is cutting through Pica's arm, Pica's feet are melded into the stone. He's a Paramecia that can travel through and manipulate stone that he's in contact with.

Shoren
Apr 6, 2011

victoria concordia crescit

Advice posted:

And before somebody brings it up, Venom Road was not Magellan turning into poison, he was making a trail of it that was large enough to carry his body and shooting himself to a location. That's the primary distinction I see here, Pica is pretty clearly "melting" into rock to travel around. I'll even give you the benefit of the doubt again and say that when he ducks out of Zoro's attack, he might be "trapdooring" himself out in a split second and just leaving a rock skin identical to his body behind, but that goddamn octopus attack...

What's wrong with the octopus attack? We already established he can control rocks, I don't see why he couldn't create tentacles out of the existing rock there.

NachtSieger
Apr 10, 2013

It just hit me. If Pica kissed someone, it'd be a

AshB
Sep 16, 2007
Oda has made it a point to put holes through virtually every logia user we've seen in the series, just to make it clear they're a logia. Pica hasn't had that happen, and moreover, they made it a point to show that he's so strong specifically because he's surrounded by rocks. I'm pretty sure he's a paramecia.

Advice
Feb 17, 2007

Je veux ton amour
Et je veux ton revanche
Je veux ton amour
I don't wanna be friends

Shoren posted:

What's wrong with the octopus attack? We already established he can control rocks, I don't see why he couldn't create tentacles out of the existing rock there.

No, I just mean for the argument whether he's a logia or not. During the octopus attack is when his body is contorting.

Shoren
Apr 6, 2011

victoria concordia crescit

Advice posted:

No, I just mean for the argument whether he's a logia or not. During the octopus attack is when his body is contorting.

Couldn't it be possible that his body is down in the bulk of the stone and the octopus attack is just an extension of him? We may not know until Oda says it outright, but my gut says paramecia, not logia.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"

NachtSieger posted:

His helmet has a design in the shape of a spark.

Octopode
Sep 2, 2009

No. I work here. I manage operations for this and integration for this, while making sure that their stuff keeps working in here.

AnonSpore posted:

And I just now got the deeper joke about his voice being so high pitched. Oda is just trolling other series this whole arc, isn't he?

Scratchman Apoo
Mar 27, 2011

AshB posted:

Oda has made it a point to put holes through virtually every logia user we've seen in the series, just to make it clear they're a logia. Pica hasn't had that happen, and moreover, they made it a point to show that he's so strong specifically because he's surrounded by rocks. I'm pretty sure he's a paramecia.

Yeah, and we had Zoro's fantastic line "So he's not JUST a stone human?" which is essentially implying he's a Paramecia.

Alien Arcana
Feb 14, 2012

You're related to soup, Admiral.

:allears:

AshB
Sep 16, 2007
I'm glad I'm not the only person who caught that. I love that they just casually call him "Cabbage" now.

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
i figured the use of cabbage there was there was little space to work with, but i guess maybe oda used a nickname there too

Rudoku
Jun 15, 2003

Damn I need a drink...

Octopode posted:

And I just now got the deeper joke about his voice being so high pitched. Oda is just trolling other series this whole arc, isn't he?

I hope Pikachu's VA actually does his voice in the anime. It'll be grand.

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

Rudoku posted:

I hope Pikachu's VA actually does his voice in the anime. It'll be grand.

Considering Chopper's VA does pikachu and he's been out of the action this is actually kind of likely.

NachtSieger
Apr 10, 2013

AnonSpore posted:

Octopode posted:

Oh my god, it just hit me too :psyduck:. Oda keeps getting better.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Rebecca wears so little, she makes Robin look overdressed by comparison.

And I think I've seen Kanjuro's power somewhere before.

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

When you put him there like that, he does sort of look like a cabbage.

Thoren
May 28, 2008
Gotta love the Zoro moments in each Arc. :swoon:

He's always been the one strawhat who is close in power level to Luffy... glad to see that hasn't changed.

Torquemadras
Jun 3, 2013

Shoren posted:

Couldn't it be possible that his body is down in the bulk of the stone and the octopus attack is just an extension of him? We may not know until Oda says it outright, but my gut says paramecia, not logia.

I think he's a Paramecia, too. It could be that his body is essentially a conduit for rock - he can freely shape rock around him, and he can instantly swap with rock. So, a rock travel man, if you will.

The biggest clue that he isn't a Paramecia is how Pica dodged Zorro's attack. Every Logia we've seen regenerates from being hit (they get hit all the time, in fact, to showcase that ability... makes you wonder if Smoker & Co. just sucked THAT much before getting their power). But Pica doesn't regenerate, he outright flees and leaves inanimate rock behind. He wouldn't have to if he were Logia.

And regarding the octopus attack, we see that Pica's head is still made of rock, and we know he can make controlled rock look like his face, right down to the eyes. There's no reason he couldn't make his head appear as well - maybe he even has to, to see what the hell he's doing while he's hiding inside the rock or something. Also, it would be hella boring if you can't even see your opponent. :colbert:

...I still hope for a bloody Zorro battle instead of a curbstomp...

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

NachtSieger posted:

I think I felt something rupture inside from that pun. :doh:

Advice
Feb 17, 2007

Je veux ton amour
Et je veux ton revanche
Je veux ton amour
I don't wanna be friends

Torquemadras posted:

The biggest clue that he isn't a Paramecia is how Pica dodged Zorro's attack. Every Logia we've seen regenerates from being hit (they get hit all the time, in fact, to showcase that ability... makes you wonder if Smoker & Co. just sucked THAT much before getting their power). But Pica doesn't regenerate, he outright flees and leaves inanimate rock behind. He wouldn't have to if he were Logia.

Well, logias have to dodge attacks now that everybody has haki.

LupusAter
Sep 5, 2011

Advice posted:

Maybe when he melds into stone he always has to have an head shaped portion, wouldn't be the first Paramecia with quirky rules.

Comic
Feb 24, 2008

Mad Comic Stylings
Maybe he's literally in the middle of all the rock and the reason his voice is so high is that he's not actually a giant man but a tiny tiny man who always keeps a rock body at least.

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

We have decided to decline your offer of a butt kicking.
Maybe he's a mouse who can talk.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Or maybe he's just a huge dude with a squeaky voice, you ever think about that??

• Locked thread