Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
saihttam
Apr 15, 2006
Enter sadman
Those are wonderful and should be book covers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fookolt
Mar 13, 2012

Where there is power
There is resistance

saihttam posted:

Agreed! Those are beautiful and that charity is awesome.

Shockeh
Feb 24, 2009

Now be a dear and
fuck the fuck off.
My only dislike of that set is how much better I find Matter to be than any of the others. Matter is excellent, and really strikes a chord for me compared to the others, with some of the others being almost a bit too abstract (even for a Banks reference). This shouldn't be taken as too much criticism, as I like the whole series, but I just find that one much better than the rest.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

Shockeh posted:

My only dislike of that set is how much better I find Matter to be than any of the others. Matter is excellent, and really strikes a chord for me compared to the others, with some of the others being almost a bit too abstract (even for a Banks reference). This shouldn't be taken as too much criticism, as I like the whole series, but I just find that one much better than the rest.

That Matter picture has been the background image of my phone ever since it was posted. :allears:

Seriously considering buying a print of the Culture Drones, but I'm pretty broke right now.

Shockeh
Feb 24, 2009

Now be a dear and
fuck the fuck off.
Oh now I just want the other Drone as an Avatar, curse you Gravitas Shortfall.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Shockeh posted:

Oh now I just want the other Drone as an Avatar, curse you Gravitas Shortfall.

It doesn't quite work as well. :awesomelon:

Someone else has almost the same avatar as me, but I had it first and his isn't framed as nicely.

Seaside Loafer
Feb 7, 2012

Waiting for a train, I needed a shit. You won't bee-lieve what happened next

Is it the drones knife missile or just an ikle one? (great art btw)

Shockeh
Feb 24, 2009

Now be a dear and
fuck the fuck off.
I'm actively looking for similar style art of a Ship or Drone now to use as an Avatar. :v:

Circle Nine
Mar 1, 2009

But that’s how it is when you start wanting to have things. Now, I just look at them, and when I go away I carry them in my head. Then my hands are always free, because I don’t have to carry a suitcase.

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

Someone else has almost the same avatar as me, but I had it first and his isn't framed as nicely.

Wow, rude.

Lasting Damage
Feb 26, 2006

Fallen Rib

Seaside Loafer posted:

Is it the drones knife missile or just an ikle one? (great art btw)

Pretty sure the one with the blue aura field is Mahwrin-Skel, and the big orange one is Chamlis Amalk-ney (spelling?) from Player of Games.

saihttam posted:

Funny you should say, I'm pretty sure when he first posted his work in this thread he said they were supposed to be alternate covers for the books. The big wide one of the General Systems Vehicle was supposed to go on the spines, so when you had all of them you had a complete picture of the ship.

I might actually get a print of it too.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Hey, consider it a Frank Exchange Of Views

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
Hm. What size would these prints look best in, and what type do I want?

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009

I have these as rotating backgrounds on my phone. Use of Weapons, excession, and the drones as my favs.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin

BastardySkull posted:

I've posted my Banks images on Redbubble for those that are interested. The markup will all go to a charity helping survivors of sexual abuse, of which Banks was patron.

http://www.redbubble.com/people/lukejfrost/collections/289653-the-culture-fanart

Enjoy!

I'm going to get a GSV poster, because that's amazing, but I'd also like to get a postcard set of all the pieces. However only the GSV is available as a postcard. Could you make the rest of them available as cards too?

edit: Just bought the 1.2-metre-wide GSV poster :swoon:

edit2: And for making an account there, I get $10 off the next purchase! Going to use it to buy Culture postcards when they're available. Hopefully the $10 comes out of Redbubble's pocket so you still get your full share to give to the charity.

Hedrigall fucked around with this message at 05:59 on May 21, 2014

BastardySkull
Apr 12, 2007

Sure I'll set them all up for postcards later today. Also I didn't know people were sporting avatars of this stuff! That is cool.

To respond to Shockeh, the reason these are so abstract is partially because that's my background as an illustrator (I'm not a concept artist nor really have that style, it's not really my thing) and partially because these were my final degree project. I got 65% (5% off of a first class) for this project and the reason given by my tutors was that the project was too safe and not experimental enough. If I'd went Full Concept Art on it I would have been marked down probably to 60% or so because they just didn't like that stuff and to be honest that Matter cover and the aliens pushed my skills to their limit anyway.

Shockeh
Feb 24, 2009

Now be a dear and
fuck the fuck off.
Hey, it's still a thousand times better than anything I can do, it certainly wasn't a criticism of the quality. :)

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin

BastardySkull posted:

Sure I'll set them all up for postcards later today.

Thankyou! I bought the set of 16 :)

fookolt
Mar 13, 2012

Where there is power
There is resistance
Now I want a sweet Culture ship name and avatar on the forums; any ideas for the name at least?

Circle Nine
Mar 1, 2009

But that’s how it is when you start wanting to have things. Now, I just look at them, and when I go away I carry them in my head. Then my hands are always free, because I don’t have to carry a suitcase.

fookolt posted:

Now I want a sweet Culture ship name and avatar on the forums; any ideas for the name at least?

Wikipedia has a pretty thorough list of the ship names mentioned in the books.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Circle Nine posted:

God I love that list, and it starts out well enough, but when it hits State of the Art it always puts a big smile on my face because that's when the names go from very good to fantastic.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
The postcards arrived today! Posters should come soon.

They look awesome:

BastardySkull, I'd love to promote your art & store on my SF blog. Quick question: is Safe Space the charity you're giving proceeds to?

edit: Ooh and Redbubble just emailed about your new piece: http://www.redbubble.com/people/lukejfrost/works/12024869-gsv-surface - Now I need to get this too!

Hedrigall fucked around with this message at 08:56 on May 26, 2014

The Supreme Court
Feb 25, 2010

Pirate World: Nearly done!

Hedrigall posted:

They look awesome:

BastardySkull, I'd love to promote your art & store on my SF blog. Quick question: is Safe Space the charity you're giving proceeds to?

edit: Ooh and Redbubble just emailed about your new piece: http://www.redbubble.com/people/lukejfrost/works/12024869-gsv-surface - Now I need to get this too!

Wow, those are gorgeous. I just picked up a Use of Weapons poster and set postcards, looking forwards to seeing them!

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

Hedrigall posted:

They look awesome:

Send the Matter one to a similarly geeky friend. "Greetings from Sunny Sursamen (Level 8)!"

BastardySkull
Apr 12, 2007

Hedrigall posted:

They look awesome:

Ahhh they look good. Hard to tell but I hope the quality is good.

Yeah the charity is Safe Space. At the moment there's about £16.00 since I put them up. When/if it hits £60 I'll get a cheque (avoiding paypal) and will be sending it all over to them. If it takes ages to hit £60 I'll just request a cheque earlier.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin

BastardySkull posted:

Ahhh they look good. Hard to tell but I hope the quality is good.

Yeah the charity is Safe Space. At the moment there's about £16.00 since I put them up. When/if it hits £60 I'll get a cheque (avoiding paypal) and will be sending it all over to them. If it takes ages to hit £60 I'll just request a cheque earlier.

Yeah, lovely phone photo but the resolution on them is excellent. I'm very happy with them!

Here's a plug on my blog!

Red Crown
Oct 20, 2008

Pretend my finger's a knife.

BastardySkull posted:

Sure I'll set them all up for postcards later today. Also I didn't know people were sporting avatars of this stuff! That is cool.

To respond to Shockeh, the reason these are so abstract is partially because that's my background as an illustrator (I'm not a concept artist nor really have that style, it's not really my thing) and partially because these were my final degree project. I got 65% (5% off of a first class) for this project and the reason given by my tutors was that the project was too safe and not experimental enough. If I'd went Full Concept Art on it I would have been marked down probably to 60% or so because they just didn't like that stuff and to be honest that Matter cover and the aliens pushed my skills to their limit anyway.

I'm going to buy at least one nice poster, but I would absolutely love it if there was a way I could buy a set of high-res images of them for desktop backgrounds.

The Supreme Court
Feb 25, 2010

Pirate World: Nearly done!

I love it! It doesn't show in the picture, but the quality of the print is great.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY
Suddenly sad that we never met the GSV Necessity, which of course constructed the GCU Invention.

ClearAirTurbulence
Apr 20, 2010
The earth has music for those who listen.
The Culture doesn't have a monopoly on good ship names.

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009
Just a vast, vast majority.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

ClearAirTurbulence posted:

The Culture doesn't have a monopoly on good ship names.

That's just your clear Hronish bias showing through. :colbert:

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.
CAT's right, though - Inspiral, Coalescence, Ringdown is one of my favorite ship names, Culture or not.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

BatteredFeltFedora posted:

CAT's right, though - Inspiral, Coalescence, Ringdown is one of my favorite ship names, Culture or not.

I, uh...

I don't get it.

I mean, it sounds really pretty, but... I don't get it.

John Magnum
Feb 10, 2013
It seems like a combination of a bunch of other SF authors' big dumb objects?

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

eriktown posted:

I, uh...

I don't get it.

I mean, it sounds really pretty, but... I don't get it.

Google says they're the three stages of a merger between two black holes.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY
Oh, neat.

Illuyankas
Oct 22, 2010

Circle Nine posted:

Culture GCU Ultimate Ship The Second*

*"Ultimate" means "last"

e: oh wow this hasn't been posted in in a while

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009
That's okay, this is a thread that deserves some love.

I actually just finished The Wasp Factory a few days ago. :stare:

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

Sorry for the low content bump, but I was just playing the Destiny beta and there's a mission in it called The Helium Cantata :3:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.

sinking belle posted:

Sorry for the low content bump, but I was just playing the Destiny beta and there's a mission in it called The Helium Cantata :3:

Knew it wouldn't go unloved. Banks fo lyfe

• Locked thread