Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Glottis
May 29, 2002

No. It's necessary.
Yam Slacker
I'm probably the only one who cares about this, but the Oktoberfest beer that Firestone brews every year (or at least has for the last 7 or so) is FINALLY being bottled - Oaktoberfest. If you like the style I'd highly recommend grabbing it if you see it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Loonytoad Quack
Aug 24, 2004

High on Shatner's Bassoon
Brewdog have air freighted over a load of Stone Enjoy By 08.16.14 and you can get your own bottle now from their bars or the online shop for a mere £16.

I bought two bottles because I'm weak.

Still, it's the only way I'll ever get to try it any time soon and air frieght is pretty damned expensive to be fair to BD (plus I get a bit of a discount on the online shop anyway so I didn't pay quite that much).

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

Daunte Vicknabb posted:

The closest any distribution brewery in the entire southeast has come to making a very good traditional German wheat beer of any sort is probably Sweetwater Waterkeeper Hefeweizen. I live in Gainesville, Swamp Head's beers are not 1/10th as good as New Glarus's. CCB is obviously a world-class brewery, and their session beers with the exception of Invasion are not as good as the NG stuff, as much as I like Cracker, Minaret, and Hotter than Helles. Basically anything Terrapin makes that isn't a coffee stout or a milk stout is completely underwhelming or a one-off gimmick IPA that's tasty but not worthy of revisiting. Rapp makes really good German stuff but he doesn't have any distribution and is over 100 miles away from me. There are no breweries in Michigan that make beers like the ones New Glarus specializes in that are anywhere near as good as the New Glarus equivalents.

I stand corrected. FL needs to step up it's game...

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

Funky Bottoms is a land man

Loonytoad Quack posted:

Brewdog have air freighted over a load of Stone Enjoy By 08.16.14 and you can get your own bottle now from their bars or the online shop for a mere £16.

Still, it's the only way I'll ever get to try it any time soon and air frieght is pretty damned expensive to be fair to BD (plus I get a bit of a discount on the online shop anyway so I didn't pay quite that much).

eh, you bought it because you can afford it and you're curious. if you buy it on a regular basis it is because it's your favorite beer ever, you're rich, or you're mental.

Loonytoad Quack
Aug 24, 2004

High on Shatner's Bassoon

funkybottoms posted:

eh, you bought it because you can afford it and you're curious. if you buy it on a regular basis it is because it's your favorite beer ever, you're rich, or you're mental.

Yeah exactly, it's never going to be a daily drinker, but as a one-off thing for a special treat I'll take the plunge once. To be fair Ruination sells here for £4.50, is never anywhere near as fresh as this and comes in a bottle not far off half the size, and I still buy that every now and then.

I really just want to see how it compares with the super fresh IPAs the UK brewers are pushing out - Bristol Beer Factory did an Un/Limited Double IPA that had the date plastered all over the front and was clearly an attempt at an Enjoy By thing so I really want to see how it stands up to stuff like that and some of the Kernel stuff.

Even having said all that I have to say the price still stings a bit, but I've spent money on stupider poo poo so what the hey.

cryme
Apr 9, 2004

by zen death robot

danbanana posted:

But if you're not finding local beers that are as good if not better to their regular lineup or a majority of their seasonals, you're just not trying.

Or don't live in a major metropolitan area?

Munkaboo
Aug 5, 2002

If you know the words, you can join in too
He's bigger! faster! stronger too!
He's the newest member of the Jags O-Line crew!

Cointelprofessional posted:

I paid $9 a bottle.

GTFO, really? Where?

Also, Beer Camp is now in NOVA! Get yours today.

ChickenArise
May 12, 2010

POWER
= MEAT +
OPPORTUNITY
= BATTLEWORMS

Munkaboo posted:

GTFO, really? Where?

Whole Foods in Clarendon sold their LC4 for $11.99. I'm not sure that was the right price, but the sticker was directly on the bottle.

cryme
Apr 9, 2004

by zen death robot
it's been a bit since we've done bad beer names/art - a local brewery is putting these out soon:

i don't know why you would ever settle on 'reach around' as the name for your beer.

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

ChickenArise posted:

Whole Foods in Clarendon sold their LC4 for $11.99. I'm not sure that was the right price, but the sticker was directly on the bottle.

somebody hosed up and put the cost on there.

Munkaboo
Aug 5, 2002

ChickenArise posted:

whaaaaaaaat? I would've grabbed that in a heart beat, that's my stomping ground.

Cointelprofessional
Jul 2, 2007
Carrots: Make me an offer.

Munkaboo posted:

GTFO, really? Where?

Minneapolis, in multiple places. Taxes bumped it up a buck.

ChickenArise
May 12, 2010

POWER
= MEAT +
OPPORTUNITY
= BATTLEWORMS

Munkaboo posted:

whaaaaaaaat? I would've grabbed that in a heart beat, that's my stomping ground.

I went back for more and to post about it, but they were cleaned out. FWIW they're looking for a beer buyer also. Please take the job or convince a friend, then hold bottles for goons.

Valencia
Feb 1, 2005

Cyril, go lock up the product before Cokie Monster here gobbles it all up.

:catdrugs:
Wow, for $9 I woulda grabbed one in a heartbeat even if it wasn't as good as LC3. Lucky :D

Something I noticed in the last few days, a bunch of the local shops suddenly seem to have an abundance of 2010 Boon Gueze Mariage Parfait. Is this the one that everyone in the thread goes crazy for or is it some variant that is the thread favorite? Every shop seems to have it for $8/bottle and if I'm looking at some sort of hidden gem then I would definitely get some.

No_talent
Jul 30, 2009

Team Stab posted:

I haven't posted in this thread before but my brother works at the Half-Pints brewery in Winnipeg, Manitoba. I don't realize how spoiled I am when it comes to free beer. Anyone here ever hear of 'em? I don't think they ship too far.

I think I may be one of the few here who has. The thread is dominated buy the US. Pretty much all Canada beer chat involves the east coast as well. The prairies are an odd duck, each with the local/regional brewers that have been around for a while, but thats about it. Like the US, all of our liquor laws were written during the 2 weeks (ok, years) we had prohibition. Hardly anything makes it out here to Saskatoon from Half-Pints, which is sad. I have to drive to Edmonton to do beer runs. Tell your brother I appreciate his efforts. Like a lot.

No_talent fucked around with this message at 18:59 on Jul 23, 2014

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

Valencia posted:

Something I noticed in the last few days, a bunch of the local shops suddenly seem to have an abundance of 2010 Boon Gueze Mariage Parfait. Is this the one that everyone in the thread goes crazy for or is it some variant that is the thread favorite? Every shop seems to have it for $8/bottle and if I'm looking at some sort of hidden gem then I would definitely get some.

It's good for being a "shelf" gueuze but not in the realm of 3F or Cantillon's or Tilquin's. The Mariage Parfait kriek is another solid one to look out for.

That said, I haven't had a '10 so maybe they're awesome right now.

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

Valencia posted:

it's certainly not rare, but it's a rather good beer, so you should buy it. Boon's Kriek Mariage Parfait is even better if you find that, but i don't care for the regular Kriek Boon.

deedee megadoodoo
Sep 28, 2000
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I, I took the one to Flavortown, and that has made all the difference.

danbanana posted:

It's good for being a "shelf" gueuze but not in the realm of 3F or Cantillon's or Tilquin's. The Mariage Parfait kriek is another solid one to look out for.

I had an '09 a few months ago and it was very very good. Like you said, not anywhere near the high end, but still quality. And at $9 for a 750 it was a total steal.

air-
Sep 24, 2007

Who will win the greatest battle of them all?

danbanana posted:

I had thought Tilquin was considered a shelf gueuze, hence why it gets such high praise? I saw it at several shops while looking around Chicago and I'm more than happy with easily finding that vs a loon/3F.

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

air- posted:

I had thought Tilquin was considered a shelf gueuze, hence why it gets such high praise? I saw it at several shops while looking around Chicago and I'm more than happy with easily finding that vs a loon/3F.

Yeah, I guess it probably falls that way more than the other two.

Compusaurus
May 29, 2003
OK, I WILL, IN A MINUTE...
For Chicago goons - Black Butte XXVI finally made it to Chicagoland. Sadly, reviews seems to be mostly wanting which is unfortunate since last year's was really awesome.

Snack Bitch
May 15, 2008

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!
Opened the CCB beer camp tropical maibock and drat that beer is awesome. I was a bit sceptical at the name but the aroma alone convinced me. My left nostril said pineapple and the right was thinking papaya but together this is a tropical smelling beer. Definitely the first time I have experienced these flavors so clearly from hops and they were perfectly balanced with the malty bock style. Awesome beer!

I was wondering though. If all the beers were brewed by SN then why are two of them cans?

deedee megadoodoo
Sep 28, 2000
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I, I took the one to Flavortown, and that has made all the difference.

Lt_Tofu posted:

I was wondering though. If all the beers were brewed by SN then why are two of them cans?

I think it's because those two breweries do a lot of canning. Oskar Blues is all cans and CCB puts a ton of stuff in cans. I think it feels more like a true collaboration if they stick with what the brewery specializes in.

cryme
Apr 9, 2004

by zen death robot

Lt_Tofu posted:

Opened the CCB beer camp tropical maibock and drat that beer is awesome. I was a bit sceptical at the name but the aroma alone convinced me. My left nostril said pineapple and the right was thinking papaya but together this is a tropical smelling beer. Definitely the first time I have experienced these flavors so clearly from hops and they were perfectly balanced with the malty bock style. Awesome beer!

Sierra Nevada cans too, you know

Snack Bitch
May 15, 2008

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

HatfulOfHollow posted:

I think it's because those two breweries do a lot of canning. Oskar Blues is all cans and CCB puts a ton of stuff in cans. I think it feels more like a true collaboration if they stick with what the brewery specializes in.

When I first saw it, I did think that each brewery had made the beers because of the cans. I was pretty confused when I first saw them.

ChickenArise
May 12, 2010

POWER
= MEAT +
OPPORTUNITY
= BATTLEWORMS

Munkaboo posted:

Also, not to give away all of my secrets - last year, Foggy Bottom had LC3 on shelves for over a month after release. They've moved the special releases up near the checkout now, though.

Retemnav
Mar 20, 2007
Then I'd certainly be a damned fool to feel any other way, wouldn't I?
There is a LOT of LC4 and Saison Brett still sitting on the shelves in Winston-Salem & Greensboro. I keep picking up bottles just about every time I visit somewhere because I can't believe it's still available.

Valencia
Feb 1, 2005

Cyril, go lock up the product before Cokie Monster here gobbles it all up.

:catdrugs:

Retemnav posted:

There is a LOT of LC4 and Saison Brett still sitting on the shelves in Winston-Salem & Greensboro. I keep picking up bottles just about every time I visit somewhere because I can't believe it's still available.

Yeah, same shop still has Saison Brett at a much more reasonable $12 or $13. Considering getting it next paycheck if it's still there.

Just realized how slightly ridiculous last night was for beer. Tyler's had all the Beer Camp brews (minus the Ninkasi and RR) on draft, so I had a glass of the Bell's with dinner. Had the Allagash Beer Camp bottle after dinner, the entire bomber of toasted chile Dragon's Milk, and then a Hell or High Watermelon because it was there. Amazingly made it to work today without feeling horrible.

nah
Mar 16, 2009

HatfulOfHollow posted:

We try to put all hoppy beers in cans. It's better for the beer.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know

XxGirlKisserxX posted:

We try to put all hoppy beers in cans. It's better for the beer.

Do you guys put anything into 12oz bottles anymore? Havent seen anything and all yhe seasonals seemed to be canned.

Midorka
Jun 10, 2011

I have a pretty fucking good palate, passed BJCP and level 2 cicerone which is more than half of you dudes can say, so I don't give a hoot anymore about this toxic community.
So the beer camp came and went in my store. We got 10 cases of 12 packs and 1 case of the bombers. Knowing how difficult it was to package it and etc, it's impressive that it's less than 2 months old. Can't wait to dig into one of them tonight.

WaffleStomp
May 7, 2007
Every beer camp beer I've had so far (New Glarus, Russian River, & Firestone Walker) has been dissppointingly mediocre. Hope the others are better and this just isn't some name-hype release.

Munkaboo
Aug 5, 2002

Holy gently caress, I need to skip work and go home Thursday August 14th apparently:

Mekong CCB Tap Takeover:

*Peach Grove Sour Ale
*Jai Alai IPA
*White Oak IPA
*Hotter Than Helles
*Maduro Brown
*Invasion Pale Ale
*Cucumber Saison
*Hunahpu
*Lue Gim Gong Pale Ale
*French Toast Brown Ale
*Citrus Wizard Red Ale
*Cubano Espeesso
*Peach Jalapeño Pale Ale
*Vanilla Maduro
*Florida Cracker
*Hoppier Than Helles
*Patio Pils
*Dortmunder
*Marshall Zhukov
*Nitro Horchata
*Good Gourd Almighty
*Wild Guava Grove

pantsfree
Oct 22, 2012

Loonytoad Quack posted:

I was going to try to get some of this - their bottle shop in Kings Cross sold out at midday in <5 minutes (they only had two cases) and the nearest Brewdog bar sold out within an hour (60 bottles at £16 each), and I was still at work :(

Did however discover that the bar/bottle shop not too far from my place (Mother Kelly's in Bethnal Green) is well stocked with Cantillon/3 Fonteinen/Boon and other nice things. Was there for their sour weekend - The Kernel's Raspberry Sour and Howling Hops' Gose were both quite good.

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

Munkaboo posted:

Holy gently caress, I need to skip work and go home Thursday August 14th apparently:

Mekong CCB Tap Takeover:

yep, poo poo is gonna get crunk. gotta wonder if some more Good Morning, Mekong might make an appearance, too, maybe in a slightly different form...

Munkaboo
Aug 5, 2002

funkybottoms posted:

yep, poo poo is gonna get crunk. gotta wonder if some more Good Morning, Mekong might make an appearance, too, maybe in a slightly different form...

super mad I can't go... =[

Quantrill
Nov 18, 2005

Stone "revamped" their Indiegogo campaign by dropping prices on their beer, including Team Stone discounts the day you pick up your beer, and included shipping in the shirt & glass combo.

Shabadu
Jul 18, 2003

rain dance

Shabadu posted:

Redstone had them on Friday apparently but they were gone super quick. I can never get to Ball SQ in time and they're tiny. Hopefully some hit Kappys or Blanchards.

Self Quote but Boston goons: Kappy's Revere and East Boston should still have some tomorrow.

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

Munkaboo posted:

super mad I can't go... =[

that's weak. Hunahpu's and a few others will get kicked, but a bunch of that will still be going on Friday, i'm sure.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pugnax
Oct 10, 2012

Specialization is for insects.

WaffleStomp posted:

Every beer camp beer I've had so far (New Glarus, Russian River, & Firestone Walker) has been dissppointingly mediocre. Hope the others are better and this just isn't some name-hype release.

Man I loved all three of those. :colbert:

Any michigoons try the single hop (apollo, falconer's flight, cascade) crooked tree variations from dark horse yet? Picked up some singles and tossed em in the fridge but haven't cracked one yet.