Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Maoist Pussy
Feb 12, 2014

by Lowtax
dork enlightenment

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
Drew Curtis' Fark Enlightenment

Maoist Pussy
Feb 12, 2014

by Lowtax
Gender Mage casts Dark Enlightenment. Roll for Save versus Chemical Imbalance.

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

Maoist Pussy posted:

dork enlightenment

Societies, like bodies, ecologies, markets, and World of Warcraft, are adaptive systems. As such, they exhibit some degree of homeostasis: if conditions move in one direction, the system reacts to move it the other way.

Note that this isn't a religious or mystical argument. The systems that don't exhibit this behavior either tear themselves apart in chaos, or freeze in stasis. In Jurassic Park, Ian Malcolm keeps saying of the dinosaurs, "Life finds a way," by which he means, "You fools! You can't have the hubris to think you can lock dinosaurs up as toys and not have them get out!" However, as we've seen, life may be able to get out of zoos, but it apparently has trouble with giant meteors kicking up dust and creating eternal night. Life finds a way, unless it doesn't.

So why am I talking about dinosaurs. My point is that a small push in one direction can result in a larger reaction in the opposite direction. Welfare, meant to relieve poverty, worsens it. The hippy movement, meant to pull people away from materialism, gives rise to the 80's Me generation. Hitler's push for a strong Germany leads to a Germany split in two between two warring superpowers. When seatbelts became mandatory, accidents increased.

The left does represent anarchy, chaos, etc. That's why it can only survive in a society where chaos is on the run, lest it be indexed, surveilled, taxed, paved, recorded.
Only successful societies can support leftist movements.

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib
there's a nonzero chance they got the name dark enlightenment from marvel comics and that amuses me

EXTREME INSERTION
Jun 4, 2011

by LadyAmbien
I prescribe leeches and LSD

Ruddha
Jan 21, 2006

when you realize how cool and retarded everything is you will tilt your head back and laugh at the sky
Yeah.......... more like poop and pee enlightenment.

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

all of my political views can be expressed in world of warcraft allegories

Drunk & Ugly
Feb 10, 2003

GIMME GIMME GIMME, DON'T ASK WHAT FOR
so let me get this straight, google and silicon valley are full of fascists now

there is no hitler just a bunch of dorky little himmlers so it probably wont go anywhere
but then again they have money and possible influence and arent the koch brothers also anarcho capitalists?

EXTREME INSERTION
Jun 4, 2011

by LadyAmbien
How did this happen. Look away for one second and everyone is some kind of gay hitler

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

Drunk & Ugly posted:

there is no hitler just a bunch of dorky little himmlers so it probably wont go anywhere
but then again they have money and possible influence and arent the koch brothers also anarcho capitalists?

"now"?

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

that nerd hitler dude looks suspiciously like jamie kennedy :raise:

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

oh thank god i'm not the only one who cant make heads or tails of that thing. i thought i turned retarded

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

I find it really unbelievable that large corporations fostering cargo cults around a giant pile of money might somehow foster fascist thought.

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

nah its literal gobbledegook id ont think anyone gets it

EXTREME INSERTION
Jun 4, 2011

by LadyAmbien

hemophilia posted:

I find it really unbelievable that large corporations fostering cargo cults around a giant pile of money might somehow foster fascist thought.

The trading cards? Really? Collect em all

I want to make my own

Republican Vampire
Jun 2, 2007

EXTREME INSERTION posted:

How did this happen. Look away for one second and everyone is some kind of gay hitler

Most nerd culture basically breaks down to hardcore nazi-level bullshit. Tolkien freely admitted that his dwarves were supposed to be jews because they were cunning and covetous and lived in holes in the ground, and that's the basis of shitloads of fantasy poo poo. That undercurrent's always been there. It's just that now STEM-majors are also being told that their thoughts on philosophy and philology and politics are valid and important.

I blame TED Talks.

Starving Autist
Oct 20, 2007

by Ralp

Fandyien posted:

nah its literal gobbledegook id ont think anyone gets it

its the equivalent of when scam emails include some outrageously obvious lie to weed out anyone with a shred of critical thinking skills

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Republican Vampire posted:

Most nerd culture basically breaks down to hardcore nazi-level bullshit. Tolkien freely admitted that his dwarves were supposed to be jews because they were cunning and covetous and lived in holes in the ground, and that's the basis of shitloads of fantasy poo poo. That undercurrent's always been there. It's just that now STEM-majors are also being told that their thoughts on philosophy and philology and politics are valid and important.

I blame TED Talks.

not surprisingly people who were bullied and mocked in school naturally have a craving power/chance for revenge against inferior people.

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

EXTREME INSERTION posted:

The trading cards? Really? Collect em all

I want to make my own

Lenny Uninstall
Destroyer of meatspace paleosyncretism

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Justine should start retweeting some Dugin and ISIL messages about the failure of Enlightenment Democracy. Destroy the modern institutions and reconstitute the glories of traditional civilization inshallah

Kirk Johnson
May 25, 2014

by Ralp
So ten pages later, it turns out the guy is nuts and his poo poo is all retarded (because he's nuts)?

Dudes, we loving told you that on the first page with regards to the dilz removal and you shot us down for it. You didn't need to type all this poo poo.

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

Kirk Johnson posted:

So ten pages later, it turns out the guy is nuts and his poo poo is all retarded (because he's nuts)?

Dudes, we loving told you that on the first page with regards to the dilz removal and you shot us down for it. You didn't need to type all this poo poo.

It's good that we got that out of the way early, and we can continue to explore the intellectual graveyard that is dark enlightenment.

Jimbo Jaggins
Jul 19, 2013

Republican Vampire posted:

I blame TED Talks.

It's all because of William Shockley, imho.

unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008
google is cool but i think ill put my money on the the military in the coming revolution.

The Droid
Jun 11, 2012

unlimited shrimp posted:

google is cool but i think ill put my money on the the military in the coming revolution.

so will google :twisted:

unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008
*kickstarts a missile dome and advanced recon equipment for silicon valley*

unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008
It'll be like the sack of Rome only with Duck Dynasty fans instead of visigoths

Whirlwind Jones
Apr 13, 2013

by Lowtax

gently caress the ROW posted:

top twitter tranny

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde

Box of Trial
Sep 4, 2003

TONKA HYAH

Drunk & Ugly posted:

the startup and tech industry in the bay area is a perpetual motion machine of bullshit to the point where you can get shunned for even mentioning market bubbles

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
im pretty sure i can cure my pancreatic cancer with meditation and sheer intellect

The Droid
Jun 11, 2012

Pick posted:

im pretty sure i can cure my pancreatic cancer with meditation and sheer intellect

looks like we got a regular steve jobs over here

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

The Droid posted:

looks like we got a regular steve jobs over here

the shape of your quote box is copyright, fucker

see you in court :nixon:

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

Huh, what a lovely person. So this is the type of person that was high up in OWS? No wonder it collapsed.

She's the type of person who talks about going to Galt's Gulch and how the world would truly lose out for her disappearance, but in actual fact we can get by fine with one less coder and she'd probably hate farming anyway, and slink back to her cushy job.

tl:dr She sounds like she sucks.

Box of Trial
Sep 4, 2003

TONKA HYAH
i know a mechanical engineer who is highly regarded professionally yet thinks america needs to abolish the income tax and replace the lost revenue with import tariffs

Snatch Duster
Feb 20, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Like capitalism, gender and social media is a zero sum game.

When will goonw accept this reality!?

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

Box of Trial posted:

i know a mechanical engineer who is highly regarded professionally yet thinks america needs to abolish the income tax and replace the lost revenue with import tariffs

must be hell commuting to work from 1896

ur in my world now
Jun 5, 2006

Same as it ever was
Same as it ever was
Same as it ever was
Same as it ever was

Smellrose

Box of Trial posted:

you could have left that at 'i know a mechanical engineer'

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Box of Trial posted:

economics obviously isn't rigorous enough to be correct
therefore, my baseless speculation and jerking off has an equal or greater probability of being correct than economics
therefore we should try my arm-waving and fascist masturbatory fantasies

• Locked thread