Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The_Maz
Mar 27, 2005

Get It By Your Hands
I have a white helmet and tend to use a gold visor during teh day. I was coming down the highway and did a leisurely pass of an open topped jeep with a family in it. As I roll by, I see a little kid in the back seat with gold mirrored sunglasses getting super excited.

I couldn't hear him, but I am pretty sure the word "SPACEMAN" is pretty easy to lipread. Thew him a thumbs up and executed the requisite 'drop gear to make bike as loud as possible' maneuver. Kids reacting to the bike will never get old. Ever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LifeSizePotato
Mar 3, 2005

I'm sitting at a light ready to make a left turn onto the street my work's on this morning. A cop is across the intersection, heading the opposite direction. His light turns green, he passes me and does an abrupt U to come up right behind me in the turn lane. I'm thinking, "Okay, don't panic, I've done nothing wrong...must be he got a call or something..." I get the arrow and make my turn, ride about 50 yards, and just as I'm about to turn into work, he flips on his PA and says "Nice bike, dude. Sweet Guzzi!"

I was just about to make a turn and it took me a second to realize what he was saying, so I couldn't give him a thumbs up in time, but still, thanks, officer! :frogc00l:

Lynza
Jun 1, 2000

"Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea."
- Robert A. Heinlein
There is little I love more than getting a wave from a cycle cop. :3:

Last night we went to get ice cream. Two little girls were sitting outside, and they waved to us as we were parking. :swoon: Then their little brother came out and his eyes got all big. Man, I dig kids.

SkaAndScreenplays
Dec 11, 2013

by Pragmatica
5. Fast Takeoffs
4. Not burning the poo poo out of myself adjusting the idle screw at stoplights
3. Tailgaters
2. Tingly Hands
1. The altered sense of dimension regarding my head after removing my helmet...

apatite
Dec 2, 2006

Got yer back, Jack

SkaAndScreenplays posted:

1. The altered sense of dimension regarding my head after removing my helmet...

Good stuff. I was test riding my yamaha up and down the driveway last night with no helmet, my head felt fuckin tiny

SkaAndScreenplays
Dec 11, 2013

by Pragmatica

apatite posted:

Good stuff. I was test riding my yamaha up and down the driveway last night with no helmet, my head felt fuckin tiny

It is like being on a very mild yet entertaining drug.

mguirk the jerk
Apr 26, 2014

i cant even spell my name god help me
New favorite and only applicable to us bros with 4->1 undertail exhausts: feeling the hot exhaust gasses hit my back on a cool night.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

mguirk the jerk posted:

New favorite and only applicable to us bros with 4->1 undertail exhausts: feeling the hot exhaust gasses hit my back on a cool night.

I like to lean back at lights and put my hands over the outlets to warm them up :)

SkaAndScreenplays
Dec 11, 2013

by Pragmatica

The_Maz posted:

I have a white helmet and tend to use a gold visor during teh day. I was coming down the highway and did a leisurely pass of an open topped jeep with a family in it. As I roll by, I see a little kid in the back seat with gold mirrored sunglasses getting super excited.

I couldn't hear him, but I am pretty sure the word "SPACEMAN" is pretty easy to lipread. Thew him a thumbs up and executed the requisite 'drop gear to make bike as loud as possible' maneuver. Kids reacting to the bike will never get old. Ever.

In the span of 45 minutes (I took city streets home) I had so many kids get so stoked on my cheap 650.

It rocked.

Except for the two who insisted on doing so like 2 feet from me while I was stopped and they were in the crosswalk.

Still, I laughed.

sildargod
Oct 25, 2010
I still catch myself admiring my bike with a great big shiteating grin if I'm walking past it for any reason.

I .. ah.. Make sure I have many reasons.

Moral_Hazard
Aug 21, 2012

Rich Kid of Insurancegram
I almost always catch myself whistling John William's "Scherzo for Motorcycle and Orchestra" from the third Indiana Jones movie.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

I like that scene a lot because the BMWs turn into KLRs when they crash :allears:

e: no, I watched it again and Indy is riding a BMW (or potentially one of the Soviet knockoffs I guess), but the chase bikes are always dirt bikes.

Sagebrush fucked around with this message at 16:42 on Jul 16, 2014

Skreemer
Jan 28, 2006
I like blue.
At the grocery store I parked off to one side of the the entry way. When I got back out after my purchases there was a kid just standing there open mouthed pointing at the bike. As his dad came up the sidewalk I threw the bike on the center stand and told the dad/kid, "Go ahead and let him sit on it." Dad put the kid on the bike and the kid just stared back and forth at the bike and his dad for a minute and with pure awe just said, "Cooooool."Dad and kid went on their way and I went on mine...

Barnsy
Jul 22, 2013
Just tried clutchless shifting for the first time. I feel like a manual version of those 12000 dollar dual-clutch transmissions on Ferraris.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Actually you feel like an identical version of one of those $5,000 911 GT3/V8 Supercars/nascar/whatever transmissions.

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

Barnsy posted:

Just tried clutchless shifting for the first time. I feel like a manual version of those 12000 dollar dual-clutch transmissions on Ferraris.
Same here. Even on the little Ninjette it feels so awesome. Also what Slavvy said, it's not as complicated as it feels.

SkaAndScreenplays
Dec 11, 2013

by Pragmatica

Barnsy posted:

I figured this out on accident. It is great.

adary
Feb 9, 2014

meh

SkaAndScreenplays posted:

I figured this out on accident. It is great.

I always thought that clutch is there only for starting in 1st and traffic jams

karms
Jan 22, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yam Slacker
*has to rebuild transmission at 50k*

WreckSov
Aug 26, 2011
But I like clutching :(

Still remember the feeling of competition and pride, when I first started riding, of refining gear changing into an artform of grace and speed.

ChewedFood
Jul 22, 2012

kloa posted:

One of the things I missed when I quit my previous job was having my sleep schedule all hosed up and waking up at 2:00 a.m. to start my day. I would venture out for food and I found some of the best eats from places that are open 24/7 in San Antonio - oh, how I miss Chacho's :allears:.

Plus, I got to miss out on all the sun/heat while riding.

You never find Mexican food like chachos anywhere else by the way. Two things I miss about Texas are whataburger and breakfast tacos.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

I like using the clutch and snapping the throttle closed for that fraction of a second in the middle of a hard pull, cause on my bike there's about a 1/3 chance that the exhaust will make a nice BANG like a race bike. :allears:

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Sagebrush posted:

I like using the clutch and snapping the throttle closed for that fraction of a second in the middle of a hard pull, cause on my bike there's about a 1/3 chance that the exhaust will make a nice BANG like a race bike. :allears:

Same but hitting the exact sweet spot of "Still open a tiny amount" that makes my bike do it. Also just dumping the clutch on aggressive downshifts for the same reason.

Barnsy
Jul 22, 2013

KARMA! posted:

*has to rebuild transmission at 50k*

I was under the impression that clutchless shifts don't damage your transmission unless you're forcing it?

Either way, I doubt I'll hold on to any bike until 50k...

Tanbo
Nov 19, 2013

Barnsy posted:

I was under the impression that clutchless shifts don't damage your transmission unless you're forcing it?

Either way, I doubt I'll hold on to any bike until 50k...

po.txt

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Today: I love the poo poo out of going for a ride on a hot day, then stopping for gas, and as you leave feeling the coolness of the tank on your knees and thighs. Ahhh

Also, a constant one many other people (including myself) have posted about: the smells. Riding along an open country road and smelling the evergreens, the eucalyptus, the hot asphalt, the kelp on the ocean, the manure on the fields, the newly mown hay, the metallic exhaust of the vintage car in front of you. It's all great.

Sagebrush fucked around with this message at 21:29 on Jul 23, 2014

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

Sagebrush posted:

Today: I love the poo poo out of going for a ride on a hot day, then stopping for gas, and as you leave feeling the coolness of the tank on your knees and thighs. Ahhh

Also, a constant one many other people (including myself) have posted about : the smells. Riding along an open country road and smelling the evergreens, the eucalyptus, the hot asphalt, the kelp on the ocean, the manure on the fields, the newly mown hay, the metallic exhaust of the vintage car in front of you. It's all great.

The other day on the way home from work, I rode past a fast food place and smelled the most delicious burger smells and had to turn around and go through the drive-thru on my bike to get a burger because goddamn that smelled too good to ignore.

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
How does that work? Just kinda hold the bag against the left handlebar and put the drink between your thighs?

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

Radbot posted:

How does that work? Just kinda hold the bag against the left handlebar and put the drink between your thighs?

I unzipped my jacket partway, sucked in my chest as much as I could, and just tucked the bag with the delicious grilled meat on a bun inside the jacket while trying not to smash it. I was only a block away from home so I didn't have to go very far like that.

I didn't get a drink because if there's one vehicle with even fewer cupholders than my car, it's my bike.

SeamusMcPhisticuffs
Aug 2, 2006

republicans.bmp

Radbot posted:

Mordeth13 shows you how it's done.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e12lEzK2qec

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

If I were in high school I'd totally do this right in front of the clerk, "coning" style.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Thing I love about riding: my meathead latest colleague challenging me to a race against his Nissan silvia.

SkaAndScreenplays
Dec 11, 2013

by Pragmatica

Taco John's ad came up before the video...

Guess I'm taking a 30 minute ride for a Crunchy Chicken Potato Burrito when I get back from work...

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

Slavvy posted:

Thing I love about riding: my meathead latest colleague challenging me to a race against his Nissan silvia.

What excuse did he offer for having lost so badly?

Voltage
Sep 4, 2004

MALT LIQUOR!
This one is the best http://youtu.be/2BTyCCFlR3o - I gotta try this haha

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Slavvy posted:

What do you ride again?

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Safety Dance posted:

What excuse did he offer for having lost so badly?

"Nah bro I knew I wouldn't win but my other one has 300Kw just wait till that one's finished it'll be closer I reckon bro."

I agreed that it would definitely be measurably closer.

I ride a raggedy 05 Honda 919 that I can't wait to get rid of.

SkaAndScreenplays
Dec 11, 2013

by Pragmatica

Slavvy posted:

Boost has nothing on bikes.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

It isn't a turbo :negative:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shimrod
Apr 15, 2007

race tires on road are a great idea, ask me!

lol, I love those guys. I get guys in R32s/R33s try to race me around here all the time, the vast majority of them P platers (no turbo). I just sit there wondering why they're even bothering.

• Locked thread