Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Are there any comparisons of the animation? I didn't know they switched. Of course I haven't been watching so...
There's been a few posted in the thread, there were more in the last one.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?noseen=0&threadid=3645941&perpage=40&pagenumber=1#post431434313

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.

Dang, what poo poo does that company usually make?

Gruckles
Mar 11, 2013

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Dang, what poo poo does that company usually make?

Naruto

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.

Say no more

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It

i hate meatloaf
May 23, 2010

MrSlam posted:

As poo poo as the animation might be only a handful of kids are going to notice, and if they stopped watching because of that then chances are they stopped watching Nickelodeon after the Spongebob movie.

Even some of the older fans probably didn't notice or care. Some of my friends barely noticed the drop in animation until I pointed it out to them. I'm sure Korra lost viewers because of the letdown of the book 1 finale and the drop in quality for the first half of book 2, but I really doubt it's the main reason. Most people I talk to about Korra off the internet are pretty positive about it overall.

Metropolis
Apr 6, 2006
I don't think the show's creators are completely blameless in this. They kind of brought it upon themselves with books 1 and 2 being so shoddily written. This season is kind of too little too late in terms of bringing a fun, interesting show with lots of cool action and good characters.

Then again they were killing it with the first series and Nick still hosed with them, so who knows. Not airing the show on TV at all starting mid-season is baffling to me. If you're gonna burn it off, burn it off. At least you get the small audience to devour it. Two episodes a week was fun to watch even if I knew it was bad news for the show's moneymaking prospects.

This season really has been better this time though. I am enjoying the ride, not just the "wow I sure can't wait for all this to pay off." The show is way more fun when everyone is ripping around the world instead of hanging out at Republic City. When they tried so hard to make the plot "tightly focused" it was way messier than season 3 has been so far.

Mercury Hat
May 28, 2006

SharkTales!
Woo-oo!

Isn't Nickelodeon/Viacom loathe to sell any of their original licenses? I only remember Doug moving to Disney back in the day. Ren and Stimpy is the only other Nick show I recall moving to another network, but Viacom still owned Spike TV where it ended up. Is any of their old classic stuff even available on an outside streaming service?

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

She was a sword glinting in the depths of night, a lance of light piercing the darkness. There would be no mistakes this time.
ATLA was on Netflix for a while, IIRC, although it's not there anymore.

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

Rincewind posted:

It still is, on Netflix Canada.

SirKibbles
Feb 27, 2011

I didn't like your old red text so here's some dancing cash. :10bux:

Rincewind posted:

I'm really hoping they get moved to Hulu or Netflix if they want to do more in the universe. Hulu has actually been looking for an exclusive show or two so it works.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
If they really do want to have no part in any future production for Avatar, I have a feeling they'll sell. Beyond the fact they've probably lost quite a bit of money over the course of the series and want to recoup, the Avatar license is something other networks will almost certainly pay a premium for, since they see the 18-35 demographic as much more potentially lucrative than Nick does. A high offer may turn otherwise reluctant heads.

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

Metropolis posted:

I don't think the show's creators are completely blameless in this. They kind of brought it upon themselves with books 1 and 2 being so shoddily written.
If you think Korra's writing was a problem for a demographic that made iCarly a nine figure property then I again posit that you are out of your goddamn mind.

Criticize Korra all you want but don't think for a drat moment that this has anything to do with the show's quality.

SpiderHyphenMan fucked around with this message at 05:46 on Jul 24, 2014

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
Uh, what is the cause then?

Lessail
Apr 1, 2011

:cry::cry:
tell me how vgk aren't playing like shit again
:cry::cry:
p.s. help my grapes are so sour!
i dunno kids could've found it boring :shrug:

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Tatum Girlparts posted:

Uh, what is the cause then?

For Season 3 I think, regardless of anything else, you can put the blame pretty poorly on poor marketing and a bizarre release schedule. "Hey guys, show's out! We're showing the first three episodes and then rerunning them and then showing 2 episodes a week but we're going to rush this poo poo out and barely let anyone know" is not the best strategy for high viewer numbers.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

ImpAtom posted:

For Season 3 I think, regardless of anything else, you can put the blame pretty poorly on poor marketing and a bizarre release schedule. "Hey guys, show's out! We're showing the first three episodes and then rerunning them and then showing 2 episodes a week but we're going to rush this poo poo out and barely let anyone know" is not the best strategy for high viewer numbers.

I agree but I think it's silly to act like the past seasons didn't already make a bit of a hill to climb. Korra had quality issues for most age groups, it's not saying the show sucks to say that.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
I'm going to make the completely objective, indisputable claim that even at its very utter worst, Legend of Korra was still many times better than absolutely everything else on Nickelodeon.

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

She was a sword glinting in the depths of night, a lance of light piercing the darkness. There would be no mistakes this time.
I'm going to make the completely objective, indisputable claim that if you air a show without telling anybody and it gets poor ratings that might have something do with it.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Honestly I could see Korra flopping with the 6-12 demographic. AtLA did have dark moments and deal with some adult themes, but ultimately it was about a kid and his group of friends who were also kids, and for every adult problem Aang faced he had many other childhood ones.

Korra has a lot of young characters in the supporting cast, but the entire main cast is ultimately made up of teenagers, who deal with teenage issues and adult issues, but not too many kid issues. It's also much less episodic as a result of shorter seasons requiring tighter writing, which means we don't have any goofy one-off episodes for children to just sit back and laugh at.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

iCarly is a great hangover show :colbert:

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Zedd posted:

iCarly is a great hangover show :colbert:

I've had to watch that show with my little sister and it has so much high-pitched yelling that I can't possibly imagine it is good for a hangover.

Maduo
Sep 8, 2006

You see all the colors.
All of them.

I know everyone wants to believe Nickelodeon doesn't know how a TV schedule works, but it's probably more likely they've already written the show off for dead ages ago. On any other network airing two episodes a week in an awful timeslot with little warning would be called a "burn-off", and even that's being generous. It's a real shame given how the show's turned itself around.

But hey, I can't wait to watch Book 4 on Toonami in 5 years! :shepicide:

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Sydin posted:

Honestly I could see Korra flopping with the 6-12 demographic. AtLA did have dark moments and deal with some adult themes, but ultimately it was about a kid and his group of friends who were also kids, and for every adult problem Aang faced he had many other childhood ones.

Korra has a lot of young characters in the supporting cast, but the entire main cast is ultimately made up of teenagers, who deal with teenage issues and adult issues, but not too many kid issues. It's also much less episodic as a result of shorter seasons requiring tighter writing, which means we don't have any goofy one-off episodes for children to just sit back and laugh at.

Essentially this. Nickelodeon's marketing focus is towards the age group one or two tiers lower and fits uncomfortably across certain demos that they don't really want to deal with too much. Particularly for the amount of money and time they have to invest in it. Compared to an animated series, a Live Action series is much faster and cheaper to produce.

If Nick took the budget for Korra and put it into a Live Action series with similar writing, it would probably win big on networks like the CW where shows like that exist. Even in its current form, that might be a better home since it is more mature and could probably sit besides Arrow and Supernatural with no problem.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
Has the thread gone mad from grief? To say nothing of Shyamalan's film fiasco, there's no way a live action version of Korra would do any remote kind of justice to the kind of effects it deserves, much less on a TV budget. The whole point of the series is to be a cartoon.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

BrianWilly posted:

Has the thread gone mad from grief? To say nothing of Shyamalan's film fiasco, there's no way a live action version of Korra would do any remote kind of justice to the kind of effects it deserves, much less on a TV budget. The whole point of the series is to be a cartoon.

This.

Like RWBY there's some stories that can only be properly done justice either because of the strengths of the medium or the limitations of your resources; although cynically I think its arguable that a part of the reason for both shows is someone saying "I think we should make our own anime." -> "Sold!" and going all in, not that I think its necessarily bad (*cough* totally-not-biased-honest */cough*) I just think its plausible as far as intent goes.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
They won't make a live action. Even back in the AtLA days when the show was consistently raking in 3m-4m views per episode, Nick very much had a love/hate relationship with the show because its demographic capture is wide instead of deep. As said earlier, Nick would rather air TMNT which gets 2m views of almost exclusively the 6-12 demographic instead of an Avatar episode that gets 4m views, but with 1m coming from 6-12, 1m coming from 12-18, and 2m coming from 18-35.

Nickelodeon has zero interest in selling ad time for any demographic beyond children and very young teens, and so these recent episodes of Korra that are pulling in ~1m views of predominantly 16-18+ viewers are borderline worthless to them. Since it seems Nick has no intent on trying to fix this, they are probably planning on washing their hands of the whole franchise.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!
Sell the drat license to Netflix, let Netflix make more Avatar episodes and animate some of the Darkhorse comics

Jack Skeleton
Dec 7, 2006
Well, I think they made as much as they were originally planning to make for Korra with Book 4 already on its way to being animated.

Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010
I'd rather see the show run (and produced) on Netflix anyway. I don't have cable so I've always had to watch the show online.

ROSS MY SALAD posted:

Sell the drat license to Netflix, let Netflix make more Avatar episodes and animate some of the Darkhorse comics

I get the impression that a lot of people that wouldn't be caught dead watching Nick might even give a show like Korra a chance if it was on Netflix.

Sephiroth_IRA fucked around with this message at 13:34 on Jul 24, 2014

Level Slide
Jan 4, 2011

Burn Nickelodeon to the ground.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!

Level Slide posted:

Burn Nickelodeon to the ground.

Have a firebender kill their parents.

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

DrSunshine posted:

Have a firebender kill their parents.
Legend of Korra Book 3: Kill You're Networ

Torquemadras
Jun 3, 2013

...wait, what is this? The show's cancelled? Less episodes? Only online available? What exactly is going on?

Goddammit! Rather than quietly dreading the next episode, I was really looking forward to them this season! Why are you doing this, Nickelodeon? Have you detected illegal enjoyment? Have you been watching my house?!

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

Torquemadras posted:

...wait, what is this? The show's cancelled? Less episodes? Only online available? What exactly is going on?

Goddammit! Rather than quietly dreading the next episode, I was really looking forward to them this season! Why are you doing this, Nickelodeon? Have you detected illegal enjoyment? Have you been watching my house?!

Easy there. The show's not completely cancelled. We're getting 1 new episode on Nick this Friday, then the rest of Book 3 will be in a digital format, and we'll get details on that eventually. Book 4 is still under production and hasn't been shitcanned.

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

DizzyBum posted:

Easy there. The show's not completely cancelled. We're getting 1 new episode on Nick this Friday, then the rest of Book 3 will be in a digital format, and we'll get details on that eventually. Book 4 is still under production and hasn't been shitcanned.

I believe Book 4 wrapped a few weeks ago.

Pastrymancy
Feb 20, 2011

11:13: Despite Gio Gonzalez warning, "Never mix your sparkling juices," Bryce Harper opens another bottle of sparkling grape and mixes it with sparkling cider.

1:07: Harper walks to the 7-11 and orders an all-syrup Slurpee.

1:10-3:05: Harper has no recollection of this time. Aliens?

quote:

Hey Korra Nation! Phew. Some of you may have heard versions of this news elsewhere, but here’s the official word. After this Friday’s on-air premiere of Episode 8 “The Terror Within” at 8/7c, all remaining Book 3 episodes will move to a digital rollout. That means two things: 1) Korra is NOT cancelled, 2) the remaining episodes will roll out weekly on Nick.com and the Nick app beginning August 1, as well as on platforms like Amazon, Google Play, Xbox and Hulu.

more here

SirKibbles
Feb 27, 2011

I didn't like your old red text so here's some dancing cash. :10bux:

Wondering what they're going to do after this because they're probably sick of working with Nick.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
e:f,b

Wish the episodes would roll out all at once, tho.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

e:f,b

Wish the episodes would roll out all at once, tho.

I wouldn't count on Nick to not gently caress up and do that so there's hope.

• Locked thread