Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sunny Side Up
Jun 22, 2004

Mayoist Third Condimentist
I also put 0$ on applications when asked.

When you know that your salary range may be above the norm for an area it is sometimes good to confirm the salary range being offered for the position. I went on several on-site interviews (wasted time + vacation days flying across the country) where they came in with an offer $30,000 less than my current salary.

I didn't understand initially that despite a higher cost of living chemical engineers in the northeast typically make less than those on the gulf coast, and that different industries pay wildly different for the same job (e.g. specialty chemicals vs refining). My mistakes to make, yeah, but this may apply to anyone looking to relocate long distances. Also, the first time it happened I was so surprised that I ended any further discussion with the recruiter and the company, but I decided after that to always, always follow through until an offer was presented in writing even if I """lost""" the negotiation. Super great practice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

necrobobsledder
Mar 21, 2005
Lay down your soul to the gods rock 'n roll
Nap Ghost

Sunny Side Up posted:

I also put 0$ on applications when asked.

When you know that your salary range may be above the norm for an area it is sometimes good to confirm the salary range being offered for the position. I went on several on-site interviews (wasted time + vacation days flying across the country) where they came in with an offer $30,000 less than my current salary.
This is one potential area where a recruiter can be valuable for you as a job-seeker (it's usually not very helpful for you I'd say) - they can outright tell you the pay range expected without getting into the icky, potentially off-putting move of immediately asking "so, what's the pay range you guys offering?" I'm having to dance around this carefully all the time because somehow according to glassdoor.com I'm in the top 5% and am getting no-go fairly often if I use the salary I had previous (I took a 15% paycut for better growth and a more enjoyable work situation). I try to negotiate upwards by citing an offer I had for double my comp package with a really fast growing, reputable company (and didn't take for E/N reasons) but that tends to just confuse the recruiter because on paper it makes no sense to turn down double the comp for what seems like a forward career progression.

A few recruiters seem to have a pretty close, long-lasting professional relationship with the candidates they place and I like those guys a lot - they're basically agents in the Hollywood sense, and you should hold a special place in your contacts for them if you cross paths with them. I worked with a recruiter that had worked 10+ years with the CEO of the company that was interested in hiring me. He got him a gig when he was a college grad as a software engineer, then for sales engineer roles, and was now finding candidates for him. Once in a while I think about how my life would be different if I wasn't a paranoid rear end in a top hat and had taken up their offer. Afterward, I tend to drink.

null gallagher
Jan 1, 2014

HiroProtagonist posted:

Lots of great salary negotiation stuff

Awesome timing on this post.

I've been talking to an internal recruiter this week about a job at his company, and he's been on me about salary. Since I'm underpaid right now, I didn't want to tell him. I got the feeling that if I'd be lowballed on an offer and get told "still more than what you're getting at your current place, take it or leave it."

This guy emailed me about a year and a half ago and I told him it was a little too early for me to look. His email a little while back was something like "Hey we spoke back in April but I haven't heard from you since, are you still interested!?!?!" so it felt sorta sketchy to me in the first place. Might as well take it as negotiation practice, if nothing else. :shrug:

Zeris
Apr 15, 2003

Quality posting direct from my brain to your face holes.
My first experience being recruited:

I have a LinkedIn profile that lists "open to new opportunities" at the top because, well, it's true. That said, I do freelance writing & low-scale web design on the side to get by, so I'm not desperate for work. The opposite, in fact. I have long-term plans to go to graduate school in Fall 2015 regardless.

A recruiter from the Judge group connects with me and writes that she is finding technical writers for JP Morgan Chase, which has an office in my city. We talk over the phone and can't agree on a pay rate.

I wasn't sure of the relationship between this recruiter and JP Morgan Chase - I had no idea a recruiter would negotiate an hourly wage with me for a 1-year contracted position.

Anyway, I'm happy to give more information, but can anyone offer some insight on this process? We left it at a standoff - I wasn't willing to proceed below my desired pay rate, and she wasn't willing to go above hers. At one point she "had to talk to her supervisor" and bumped the offer by $1.50/hr, which reminded me of the buying process at a car dealership.

Is this all normal?

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Zeris posted:

My first experience being recruited:

I have a LinkedIn profile that lists "open to new opportunities" at the top because, well, it's true. That said, I do freelance writing & low-scale web design on the side to get by, so I'm not desperate for work. The opposite, in fact. I have long-term plans to go to graduate school in Fall 2015 regardless.

A recruiter from the Judge group connects with me and writes that she is finding technical writers for JP Morgan Chase, which has an office in my city. We talk over the phone and can't agree on a pay rate.

I wasn't sure of the relationship between this recruiter and JP Morgan Chase - I had no idea a recruiter would negotiate an hourly wage with me for a 1-year contracted position.

Anyway, I'm happy to give more information, but can anyone offer some insight on this process? We left it at a standoff - I wasn't willing to proceed below my desired pay rate, and she wasn't willing to go above hers. At one point she "had to talk to her supervisor" and bumped the offer by $1.50/hr, which reminded me of the buying process at a car dealership.

Is this all normal?

This is fairly normal. I've refused to be submitted for positions of less than X rate/hour and then had the recruiter's boss get on the phone with me and try to browbeat me into being submitted. That was when I knew I definitely wasn't going to be doing business with them.

Let's say they offered you $30 per hour. The assignment pays $35, the recruitment agency gets $5. They are not going to want to get less than $5 an hour, so if you are not going to go in for $31.50 an hour, there's no deal to be made at that point.

the
Jul 18, 2004

by Cowcaster
Let me take a moment to bitch about the LinkedIn "Industry" fields.

I'm doing work in database management, analysis, analytics, stats, etc.

What the gently caress field do I choose? Computer Software seems like the only one even remotely close. There are no Industry categories related to Data Science in any way.

Oh, but they have:

-Alternative Dispute Resolution
-Cosmetics
-Fine Art
-Fishery
-Furniture
-Ranching
-Tobacco

I mean, thank god for those at least.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

What industry is your company in?

the
Jul 18, 2004

by Cowcaster

ultrafilter posted:

What industry is your company in?

Cloud software

wolffenstein
Aug 2, 2002

Pork Pro

the posted:

What the gently caress field do I choose? Computer Software seems like the only one even remotely close. There are no Industry categories related to Data Science in any way.

Oh, but they have:

-Alternative Dispute Resolution
-Cosmetics
-Fine Art
-Fishery
-Furniture
-Ranching
-Tobacco

I mean, thank god for those at least.

Computer software is the catch-all category for everything tech industry, so stick with it. It's worth mentioning here that for whatever reason, most people put in the industry of their employer which may confuse recruiters. Pick the industry that best describes your skill set. You pick your employer's industry when adding their information to your work experience section.

Database stuff might be considered Information Technology and Services. I'd say the deciding factor is do you know how/want to program? Yes : Computer Software :: No : Information Technology and Services

wolffenstein fucked around with this message at 17:08 on Jul 14, 2014

necrobobsledder
Mar 21, 2005
Nap Ghost
The problem I have sometimes with the "go with whatever industry your employer is in" seems pretty myopic because you might be working in a specialty department within a company that doesn't really have much to do with the vertical much with your actual skills and training. What does an IT guy for a health insurance company know about healthcare? What does a lawyer for a tech company actually know about software? And what does a customer service representative for a telecom really know about the telecom industry itself? They'll all certainly know more about said vertical than a random person outside that vertical, but is that the most important component of their job skills and qualifications? Even among executives it hardly seems to matter (see: CEO of Burberry going to retail operations of Apple) so the vertical only seems to matter for industries and positions that actually demand you know something about said vertical, which these days I'd argue pretty much only matters to executives.

So gently caress your labels. Mark them all. Be a big data statistician for a farming cosmetics company writing cloud software working with your furniture products division making dyes matching Leonardo da Vinci's the Last Supper from North Atlantic salmon.

Omne
Jul 12, 2003

Orangedude Forever

I feel you on the industry thing. I do data analytics and product management....for a transportation company. If I put down transportation, I get nothing but logistics positions that I am completely unqualified for and uninterested in. I went and changed my industry to marketing instead.

the
Jul 18, 2004

by Cowcaster
I ended up going with "Research."

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.

necrobobsledder posted:

What does an IT guy for a health insurance company know about healthcare?

Sure, but it's not completely irrelevant. If you work in IT in healthcare, you're probably fairly familiar with HIPAA regulations and what it takes to be compliant (at least, IT-wise), which is pretty valuable for a healthcare company looking to hire IT.

Roles are multifaceted and it's important to take all those facets into consideration when trying to hire/sell yourself. Familiarity with HIPAA, for example, may just be the selling point that sets you apart from all the other applicants when applying to an IT role at a hospital, for example.

Rad R.
Oct 10, 2012
I've been invited to publish on LinkedIn. Does anyone have any experience with this? I'm still wondering what to write about, I'm thinking something motivational but realistic, similar to 'Talent is Overrated' and 'Getting Things Done'.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Please publish practical advice on real topics and not "What we can learn from the World Cup about leadership"

Stanos
Sep 22, 2009

The best 57 in hockey.

OneThousandMonkeys posted:

Please publish practical advice on real topics and not "What we can learn from the World Cup about leadership"

I sometimes peek at those articles and while they can be interesting or have different perspectives, the fluff articles are 100% awful. I think I remember seeing one that was like 75% Wikipedia copy and paste with some platitudes thrown in.

My advice is something that isn't a thing you can find out on the first page of google results. I really don't want to see/read another article about ~*~Brands~*~ and interview tips ripped from another article.

HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007
I got an invitation to "publish" on Linkedin too, once. I laughed and forgot about it. Sometimes I click on stuff other people publish, and then I regret it.

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

HiroProtagonist posted:

I got an invitation to "publish" on Linkedin too, once. I laughed and forgot about it. Sometimes I click on stuff other people publish, and then I regret it.

This.

Unrelated to that:

If I want to move to move back to my home city to work, is it going to make a huge showing in search results difference if my current job is located somewhere else? I've added every in-industry recruiter in the first 6 or so pages of search results for "my_industry recruiter" and have 500+ connections in my home city so I feel like I'd rank pretty well for whoever is looking. Still, not sure how many recruiters/companies limit their search to their immediate state/area only.

DropsySufferer
Nov 9, 2008

Impractical practicality
I'm trying to get my profile strength to all-star but even though I've filled everything out it's still at expert. Do I need to buy linkedin Premium?

Also with the job groups I don't see too many jobs posted even in large ones. Should I just make a post saying I'm looking for a job?

I've just been using the normal job sites but I'm trying to use linkedin now.

Sunny Side Up
Jun 22, 2004

Mayoist Third Condimentist

CarForumPoster posted:

This.

Unrelated to that:

If I want to move to move back to my home city to work, is it going to make a huge showing in search results difference if my current job is located somewhere else? I've added every in-industry recruiter in the first 6 or so pages of search results for "my_industry recruiter" and have 500+ connections in my home city so I feel like I'd rank pretty well for whoever is looking. Still, not sure how many recruiters/companies limit their search to their immediate state/area only.

If there are positions that are currently only looking at local candidates, but you feel you're attractive enough to overcome that obstacle, changing your current location might get your foot in the door; however, that may would reduce the possibility (or quality) of a relocation package. I've seen it definitely work to attract more recruiters in a target geographic location.

Rad R.
Oct 10, 2012

Of course. I am completely against intrusively positive advice articles with titles such as '5 Habits of Successful People' or '9 Things You Are Doing Wrong as a Freelancer'. Either practical, real-world advice, or something from the arts and entertainment spectrum. After all, I am an illustrator and designer as much as I am into copy and content writing.

People publish anything these days. Everyone that can type, can and does so publicly.

Tai-Pan
Feb 10, 2001

DropsySufferer posted:

I'm trying to get my profile strength to all-star but even though I've filled everything out it's still at expert. Do I need to buy linkedin Premium?

Why? Being "all-star" doesn't get you anything.

DropsySufferer
Nov 9, 2008

Impractical practicality
Ah, I didn't know that. linkedin claimed it increased profile views. I'll discard that then. My plan has just been to add every nearby recruiter in my field that I can possibly can.

For the groups I don't see too many jobs posted. Should I just post that I'm looking for jobs in the group boards or do I need to do something more creative?

I'm just very recently within the last week trying to use linkedin as a job tool vs the usual sites so I'm figuring out what works.

necrobobsledder
Mar 21, 2005
Nap Ghost
I think everyone in the top n% of LinkedIn profile views got invited to publish. I got an invitation and I'm some nobody in IT without a book or published paper to my name, I'm sure there's a lot of people with more interesting stories and witticisms than my lame rear end. You're special if you were among the first, don't think you're any bit special because LinkedIn "recognized" you.

CarForumPoster posted:

Still, not sure how many recruiters/companies limit their search to their immediate state/area only.
From my understanding, if a company starts looking outside their area, you should be very, very concerned about the position and why they couldn't find someone local first. It makes some sense if they're in a field that doesn't really have many resources that can do it in the area (how many farmers are in Camden, New Jersey? How many software engineers are in Augusta, Maine?) but if we look at position-employee match, perhaps we as job-seekers should be wary of employers matching certain descriptions. Otherwise, sometimes the position requirements itself are about being spread out geographically (engineers that do operations / site reliability for websites, for example).

Kim Jong Il
Aug 16, 2003

the posted:

Research

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
Had my first recruiter approach on LinkedIn today. Give the guy my phone number, get a call.

"So we've been asked to find a teapot coordinator for XYZ company..."
"That job's been posted for months - Don't they want someone with teapot construction experience?"
"Yeah, I've heard you've got many years of experience with that."
"No, I'm a certified teapot operator."
"Oh."
"Yeah."
"Do you know anyone who'd be interested?"
"Uh... No. These guys are pretty darn hard to find."
"Alright well I'll keep you in mind if something comes up!"

Look at the guy's profile, looks like he's specialized in every industry except mine, so that explains that I guess. Turns out he'd got my name from an acquaintance who's known in the community for being very "convincing" about their qualifications. :rolleyes:

(I checked my profile, it does list my certification and a quick glance at it by someone remotely familiar with the industry would tell them that I'm in a completely different professional track.)

MOVIE MAJICK
Jan 4, 2012

by Pragmatica
Is it not kosher to use this site for dating?

Stanos
Sep 22, 2009

The best 57 in hockey.
Well, they are called connections for a reason. Just make sure you get the first connection, you don't want sloppy second or thirds.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Just remember, it's ok to send a recruiter dick pics.

HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007

Just remember, it's ok to send a recruiter dick pics.

More required, I'd say. And the bigger the better: everyone knows that the most successful professionals have the biggest dicks. It's like Darwin, or some poo poo.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.

HiroProtagonist posted:

More required, I'd say. And the bigger the better: everyone knows that the most successful professionals have the biggest dicks. It's like Darwin, or some poo poo.
Don't tell that to Carl Fiorina.

I heart bacon
Nov 18, 2007

:burger: It's burgin' time! :burger:

HiroProtagonist posted:

But play it safe and change your middle name to something like 'Danger' first.

prezbuluskey
Jul 23, 2007
A life, Jimmy, you know what that is? It's the shit that happens while you're waiting for moments that never come.
LinkedIn articles are so awful, I could go on for hours about them.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

People read them?

FrozenVent fucked around with this message at 18:25 on Jul 19, 2014

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Sometimes I get really bored at work.

Stanos
Sep 22, 2009

The best 57 in hockey.
When I check it sometimes I see an interesting one but most of them are fluff stuff like 'Why (topical event) is good/bad' or '5 hot tips (that I pulled from a quick google search) to help you do thing!'

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

https://www.linkedin.com/today/post/article/20140717040348-36792-the-human-side-of-microsoft-s-layoffs?trk=tod-home-art-list-large_0

The Human Side of Microsoft's Layoffs

As I write this on Wednesday night, I am thinking of Microsoft's 125,000 employees who are trying to go to sleep with the knowledge that tomorrow they or their colleagues may be FIRED.

I say FIRED because "layoff" is one of those words created to soften the ugly underbelly of reality. Microsoft employees are not factory workers being laid off for two weeks so that inventory levels can drop to an acceptable level. They are being FIRED, forever. They are human beings with spouses and kids and parents to support. They have mortgages, car loans, college loans, and many have too little saved for retirement.

Microsoft is a fine company, filled with many wonderful people. Just a few weeks ago, I gave a speech there and spent two days with some of the smartest and most talented people I've ever met. The company has a bright future, and I am in agreement with many of the things their new CEO is saying.

Quality stuff.

Knot My President!
Jan 10, 2005

Hey guys,

I am updating my LinkedIn as I read through the Google Resume book and was wondering if anybody had any critiques of the information I've supplied.

https://www.linkedin.com/pub/sean-phillips/3b/11a/5a7

Thanks in advance. :)

Harry
Jun 13, 2003

I do solemnly swear that in the year 2015 I will theorycraft my wallet as well as my WoW
I saw this linkedin article today.

Justin Mares
Director of Revenue at Airbrake
https://www.linkedin.com/today/post/article/20140722235610-67056463-why-real-businesses-don-t-charge-5-month?trk=tod-home-art-list-small_2

Been a while since I've seen the comments get so hostile towards someone.

Harry fucked around with this message at 04:54 on Jul 24, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stanos
Sep 22, 2009

The best 57 in hockey.
I got about a minute into skimming it and realize that somehow the director of revenue here hadn't considered price elasticity at all and just assumed "Charge more = MORE MONEY"

That's like, something I learned in Week 2 of Econ 101 buddy.

EDIT: I'm sorry, it's ~*~SaaS~*~ so obviously that doesn't apply. Digging that hole there in the comments. God drat I hate the tech bubble.

Stanos fucked around with this message at 05:17 on Jul 24, 2014

• Locked thread