Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LordSaturn
Aug 12, 2007

sadly unfunny

Digital Osmosis posted:

I played about a month of CO at launch and thoroughly enjoyed it. I was that two pistol build and I liked how kinetic the combat was... plus I'm a sucker for Barbie Dress Up and this game has the best character creator around. Anyway I was thinking of playing again for a bit. I could see the same thing happening again though - only playing for a month or so here and there. My question is what happens to a gold account when I drop down to silver? How does it choose which two of the characters to let you play as? What happens if you have a mixed archetype character when you stop paying the monthly fee? What happens if you start paying it again after some time?

To the best of my knowledge, they just lock you out of your Gold characters until you have a Gold account again. (Unless you intentionally downgrade them for whatever reason.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ColHannibal
Sep 17, 2007

LordSaturn posted:

To the best of my knowledge, they just lock you out of your Gold characters until you have a Gold account again. (Unless you intentionally downgrade them for whatever reason.)

Each character gets one free swap from either gold to silver or (not and) or silver to gold. To go back it costs real money, in the conversion to silver you will probably loose bits of your costume as a hunk of the standard stuff is behind the paywall.

Also good luck reactivating your account if you never did any of the conversions to a PW account. It's possible but not easy.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug
While I might be able to do with some Archetypes if I got down to it, part of what breaks the Free mode for me in Champions is they take away piles of default costume parts and lock it behind "PREMIUM SUBSCRIBER PARTS WOW!", and a lot of those parts are as old as the launch trailers. It made me literally facepalm when the F2P model first rolled out while I still had a sub going, and my excitement at seeing these parts labeled as NEW WOW SUBSCRIBER EXTRAS fell flat when it turned out they were all just stock parts I already had.

Also, are you still unable to make a fresh character on a Freebie mode account if you have more than the free limit in old characters, without deleting basically every character until you have a slot free? I haven't touched Champions since my last computer. So all these various issues adding up have been why I never really got around to trying free mode.

Did a Perfect world shift a while back, but haven't even dealt with all this ARC stuff yet, on the "I have a lifetime for STO but haven't played that in ages" end.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

You are being watched. :allears:

Section Z posted:

While I might be able to do with some Archetypes if I got down to it, part of what breaks the Free mode for me in Champions is they take away piles of default costume parts and lock it behind "PREMIUM SUBSCRIBER PARTS WOW!", and a lot of those parts are as old as the launch trailers. It made me literally facepalm when the F2P model first rolled out while I still had a sub going, and my excitement at seeing these parts labeled as NEW WOW SUBSCRIBER EXTRAS fell flat when it turned out they were all just stock parts I already had.

The best part is how they swore up and down the pieces behind the paywall would be all new and that none of the pieces already in the game would be locked behind it. Welp.

Digital Osmosis
Nov 10, 2002

Smile, Citizen! Happiness is Mandatory.

ColHannibal posted:

Each character gets one free swap from either gold to silver or (not and) or silver to gold. To go back it costs real money, in the conversion to silver you will probably loose bits of your costume as a hunk of the standard stuff is behind the paywall.

Also good luck reactivating your account if you never did any of the conversions to a PW account. It's possible but not easy.

So if I'm following you I could go gold for a month, make a custom archetype, convert it down to silver when my time runs out and keep the powes but lose some of the costume... but then if I ever want to go back to gold with the same character I'd have to throw them some some extra cash?

ColHannibal
Sep 17, 2007

Digital Osmosis posted:

So if I'm following you I could go gold for a month, make a custom archetype, convert it down to silver when my time runs out and keep the powes but lose some of the costume... but then if I ever want to go back to gold with the same character I'd have to throw them some some extra cash?

Yep.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

No, that's not right. If you're freeform and convert down you will need to choose an archetype.

ColHannibal
Sep 17, 2007

Aphrodite posted:

No, that's not right. If you're freeform and convert down you will need to choose an archetype.

Right, my brain skipped that part, you have to pick an arctype if you are silver. To go back to free form after you get gold costs money.

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

The disruptive powers of excessive national fecundity may have played a greater part in bursting the bonds of convention than either the power of ideas or the errors of autocracy.
You can also purchase a (hilariously overpriced) freeform character token, I recall.

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

It's like fifty bucks worth of fun money, yes.

Champions really screwed the pooch when it came to their F2P scheme, especially when STO's is so generous. :smith:

Pesterchum
Nov 8, 2009

clown car to hell choo choo

Digital Osmosis posted:

AND if you decide to keep them silver you can't play the character when you resubscribe until they're converted back to gold. The concept of locking subscribers out of playing their free characters was something I never understood.

Archonex
May 2, 2012

MY OPINION IS SEERS OF THE THRONE PROPAGANDA IGNORE MY GNOSIS-IMPAIRED RAMBLINGS

Asimo posted:

It's like fifty bucks worth of fun money, yes.

Champions really screwed the pooch when it came to their F2P scheme, especially when STO's is so generous. :smith:

Probably because they went F2P under Atari. Especially since CO's F2P release was during Atari's "gently caress! We have to milk this company for all it's worth before they jump ship due to our lovely business practices." phase.

Really, most of the poo poo that went bad with the game can be traced back to Atari being greedy dicks. The game is pretty decent now though.

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.
Even so...

I've tried to get back into the game recently. Can't do it. I had a sub years ago, let it lapse. So all my characters are freeform.

Changed one of them to silver to try again. Don't like the powerset as given.

Too much is behind that paywall and I don't especially like what's open to me. I ain't willing to to pay more under these circumstances.

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

Archonex posted:

Probably because they went F2P under Atari. Especially since CO's F2P release was during Atari's "gently caress! We have to milk this company for all it's worth before they jump ship due to our lovely business practices." phase.

Really, most of the poo poo that went bad with the game can be traced back to Atari being greedy dicks. The game is pretty decent now though.
Yeah, pretty much. There's also the argument that they had more experience with the transition when it was time for STO. But yeah, swapping to F2P under Atari hosed them over regardless; even if it was done well and not so half-assed hesitant, they still had no support afterwards so lost whatever new momentum they got.

I still say Cryptic should have sold powersets, rather than the dumbass archetypes. Have a few available free (might, fire, magic, martial arts, one or two others) then sell the rest as c-store unlocks. It'd be that "STO starship" lucrative thing since it'd add more options to an existing character and you wouldn't need to make a new one to take advantage of it. It'd also give Cryptic motivation to make new powersets and such instead of the crap-rear end vehicles they've dumped all their effort and hope onto. Ah well.

Bloodly posted:

Even so...

I've tried to get back into the game recently. Can't do it. I had a sub years ago, let it lapse. So all my characters are freeform.

Changed one of them to silver to try again. Don't like the powerset as given.

Too much is behind that paywall and I don't especially like what's open to me. I ain't willing to to pay more under these circumstances.
This is pretty much why I eventually gave up on ChampO, even if I think it's still fun, and I suspect why a lot of other people did too. I couldn't justify spending fifteen bucks a month on it, but the restrictions on silver players are just too frustrating if you've ever had a gold account. If I had a lifetime sub or something I'd probably pop in and mess around now and then, but... whelp.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
Honestly, the most frustrating part of CO and why I stopped playing and took an extended break is that it's basically lost any sort of development momentum at all. It doesn't have the revenue to expand their development team, which in turn means they don't have the crew needed for a big adventure pack-esque update or new full powersets, which in turn means no huge influx of new players for more revenue to expand their development team, which means etc. etc. etc.

I have a lot of fun playing this game, and the editor is uncontested, but it's just really depressing to see the slump it's stuck in.

Bluhman
Nov 7, 2009

Low morale causes the golems to dance in panic.
It's been marginally getting better, though. About half a year ago, development was passed along from Cryptic to Cryptic North, which is formed of people who did development on Pirates of the Burning Sea. So far they've managed to facelift the rampages to their current state, and did the whole Foxbat event.

From what I can tell they're still mostly trying to break in to the developer tools, but their biggest leaps and bounds ahead so far have all had to do with regularly releasing a bunch of new costume sets. I think this week the game's due for an armored ninja set, though it might be the one following. Some people scrounging through the source were also able to find some 'star force' themed map files, indicating something involving them might be coming up further along?

I think it's going to be some time before CN really gets anything substantial out there, but there at least is the push behind it now.

General Maximus
Jul 14, 2006
Standard models come in white labcoats for inexplicable reasons.
Sadly, what the game really needs is something like twice the amount of content it has now. Delivered in a big expansion slash relaunch the way they did with STO and Legacy of Romulus.

Unfortunately, it has neither the playerbase nor the development resources to allow such a thing to be approved by PWE. Which is a shame because underneath all the bugs and the crippling lack of content, there's actually the makings of a pretty decent game.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

The first thing they need to do is overhaul existing, and add new, content.

The next thing they need to do is overhaul how the F2P system works. Including, but not limited to, selling Powersets instead of ATs, as was mentioned earlier.

Archonex
May 2, 2012

MY OPINION IS SEERS OF THE THRONE PROPAGANDA IGNORE MY GNOSIS-IMPAIRED RAMBLINGS

Bluhman posted:

From what I can tell they're still mostly trying to break in to the developer tools, but their biggest leaps and bounds ahead so far have all had to do with regularly releasing a bunch of new costume sets. I think this week the game's due for an armored ninja set, though it might be the one following. Some people scrounging through the source were also able to find some 'star force' themed map files, indicating something involving them might be coming up further along?

I think it's going to be some time before CN really gets anything substantial out there, but there at least is the push behind it now.

Star Force sounds like the moon zone they promised back before Atari started dicking Cryptic over. Plus, the Whiteout arc included mention of some sort of Star Guardians or something at the end of it.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG

Asimo posted:

I still say Cryptic should have sold powersets, rather than the dumbass archetypes.

Yes they really should have done this, Archetypes are pretty much garbage.

viewtyjoe
Jan 5, 2009

Archonex posted:

Star Force sounds like the moon zone they promised back before Atari started dicking Cryptic over. Plus, the Whiteout arc included mention of some sort of Star Guardians or something at the end of it.

StarForce is the Canadian superhero team in the Champions universe, actually! :eng101:

Don't ask why I know all this CO lore, it just comes naturally.

Archonex
May 2, 2012

viewtyjoe posted:

StarForce is the Canadian superhero team in the Champions universe, actually! :eng101:

Don't ask why I know all this CO lore, it just comes naturally.

Nerd!

Actually that sounds like it could be something interesting. It definitely means more content at least.

I'm amazed the game ended up being labeled as a silver age comic book MMO. At release the first few zones were like that, but with all the retools it's different now.

Plus the last few zones are dark as hell. Monster Island has overt acts of cannibalism taking place, Vibora Bay is basically :stonk: the zone in the crisis version, and Lemuria is basically "What would happen if Namor and Aquaman were pals with Cthulhu?". Almost all of the content released after release has been pretty dark too.

If anything, it's probably close to CoH now in terms of theme. Though maybe a bit darker. Pretty sure they never showed the graphic murder of all of the main NPC heroes in one story arc. :stare:

Archonex fucked around with this message at 03:50 on May 17, 2014

Huge Spatula
Jul 15, 2001

I like the pole and the hole, and right now I'm as moist as a snack cake down there.
Does anyone play too often? I send messages on SuperGoon now and again but no one ever responds.

Mewnie
Apr 2, 2011

clean dogge
is a
happy dogge
SnakeWildlife is mad about Champions Online, and he won't take it anymore!

http://pastebin.com/8txML27H

James_Bonnell
Sep 20, 2013
Um.

"Snake, it's just a game. If you have a problem with it, take a break, seriously."

Not that I'd bother saying that in game.

Amusing, though.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Snake is a creepy weirdo who probably had his lunch money taken away from him at various points of his education up to and including university.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

What's the lifetime store this new Gold vendor has?

Is it going to have its own items or is it just like some lifers can claim any previous reward type thing?

Mewnie
Apr 2, 2011

clean dogge
is a
happy dogge
I clicked on the lifetime tab and it still had the same stuff the gold one has. I suppose that yes, LTers can claim any.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

The holoforce armor is pretty cool. Works really well with my secret agent character.

Did that contest just have the one winner or are they making more than one?

Mewnie
Apr 2, 2011

clean dogge
is a
happy dogge

Aphrodite posted:

The holoforce armor is pretty cool. Works really well with my secret agent character.

I think the Holoforce is a combo of two of the finalists?

And yeah, it's a pretty rad set. Also, the June gold special is goggles/glasses that use the new glass material.

Bluhman
Nov 7, 2009

Low morale causes the golems to dance in panic.

Mewnie posted:

SnakeWildlife is mad about Champions Online, and he won't take it anymore!

http://pastebin.com/8txML27H

:stare:
Keep in mind he was sort of indirectly related to my main CO Supergroup, ARC, going off to his Minecraft and basically never being heard from again (it might've been GW2 that did it though). So in other words yes he did take a break.

To summarize his (Champions Online) Forums meltdown, basically a well known player, Angel of Caine, died of cancer about a year back. Shortly after this he made the very imprecise insinuation that Angel apparently died waiting for content to come out, and it was somehow Cryptic's fault or something ridiculous.

Flesh Forge posted:

Snake is a creepy weirdo who probably had his lunch money taken away from him at various points of his education up to and including university.

So yeah, basically this.

Aphrodite posted:

There were indeed two winners, but from what I'm looking at the set is very strongly based off of one winner's entry. However, I vaguely remember them also planning to make a second costume set that's more strongly based on the other entry.

Here's a cool trick you can do with Holoforce pieces: Choose either Psi or Holo-hex materials, color it pure black, and use an ability such as Conviction or Force Sheath to put a glow over yourself. The result should look like this:

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Have any of you ever gotten art commissioned for your characters?

My nephew is crazy into superheroes right now, and draws his own mini comic books with characters he made up. For his birthday/Christmas/some gift giving holiday in the future, I would really like to have a comic book cover style drawing made for him with a couple of his characters or something like that.

Cuchulain
May 15, 2007

My tiny godly CoX shall burn forever!

Aphrodite posted:

My nephew is crazy into superheroes right now, and draws his own mini comic books with characters he made up. For his birthday/Christmas/some gift giving holiday in the future, I would really like to have a comic book cover style drawing made for him with a couple of his characters or something like that.

I don't know if he's currently taking commissions, but the goon Geekboy used to do a shitload of that for CoH dudes.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

You are being watched. :allears:

Cuchulain posted:

I don't know if he's currently taking commissions, but the goon Geekboy used to do a shitload of that for CoH dudes.

Kelp Plankton mentioned to me today he was doing art for people to pay for some RL expenses, maybe shoot him a PM?

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

The disruptive powers of excessive national fecundity may have played a greater part in bursting the bonds of convention than either the power of ideas or the errors of autocracy.

Aphrodite posted:

Whatever happened to that guy who did character portraits for winning a CC?

Allatum
Feb 20, 2008

Pillbug

Aphrodite posted:

There's a few artists I think. Prices vary wildly and can get drat expensive. I guess people have different ideas what their skills are worth. But..

KarlaDiazC and Daclobanon might be open for commissions and have a comic-y style. I've had pieces done before but the artists currently aren't taking new commissions.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Jan posted:

Whatever happened to that guy who did character portraits for winning a CC?

He was ilikedirt's friend and not a member here.

Brave New World
Mar 10, 2010
CO is getting new content!
http://massively.joystiq.com/2014/08/12/champions-online-brings-the-steel-crusade-on-september-4th/

This is great news for me, because I'm playing Gold atm. It looks like STO and Neverwinter are raking in so much money that PWE feel rich enough to throw a bone to the starving people in spandex. The question is: will anyone come back for it?

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

I admit I'm not horribly interested in playing if I have to resub... the F2P scheme here is really punitve compared to STO's. :( Still, I'll try and update the OP once there's some more tangible info to put up there. I'd say make a new thread, but I'm not sure the game's active enough to justify it... maybe if there's a big rush of folks after the update hits.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

New content for Champions is great, it's easily PW's funnest game in my opinion although yeah the F2P model is really lovely. Hopefully this will become a trend because the only thing wrong with Champions is the smallish selection of content.