Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Diarrhea Elemental
Apr 2, 2012

Am I correct in my assumption, you fish-faced enemy of the people?

holocaust bloopers posted:

The safety bars are always a touch too high above the chest, which makes getting into a proper wind-up impossible. I make sure every rep hits my chest and stays there for a beat before finishing the rep. Can't really do that in a cage.

Works a lot better if you arch decently PL-style when you bench. Set the bars just at chest height when you're relaxed, then get your shoulders tucked and your arch locked in, bam. Bars end up below chest height while you're benching and if you fail, just relax out of the arch and slide out from under the bar.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fart Sandwiches
Apr 4, 2006

i never asked for this

vulturesrow posted:

Farts is gonna e-yell at you for posting pics. :D

Im just mad that I would break my phone with the insane amount of sweat I produce when lifting in my garage. Also if you search back in the thread I've posted pictures before.

I only want to e-yell at the most recent picture cause those are some shiny plates and I am jealous. :drat:

elite_garbage_man
Apr 3, 2010
I THINK THAT "PRIMA DONNA" IS "PRE-MADONNA". I MAY BE ILLITERATE.
sure beats the hell out of the multi colored, and rusted plates at my gym

Do your chrome weights have spinners on them too?

Also, quite being pussies and bench. Getting the hang of the arch is the easy part, using leg drive is not. Look it up on youtube and start working on proper setup and pressing technique.

Also pt 2: I started using wrist wraps and they definitely help boost confidence by keeping your wrists aligned and less shaky, which in turn leads to a better pressing position, Did 235 for reps after taking a few weeks off from a shoulder injury (thanks crossfit and me for not stretching). Nailed 7 pretty easily after only taking 1 minute breaks between my work up sets. Should have rested longer for that last set and I could have probably hit 9 or 10.

Fart Sandwiches
Apr 4, 2006

i never asked for this
the weights I keep on the back porch are cheap CAP steel ones along with the lovely CAP barbell and they are rusted to all poo poo. I bet you could take a picture of my weights and a boko haram training set and not tell the difference. I keep all the good non-tetanus causing poo poo in the garage.

I have a set of straps from Lift Big Eat Big that are pretty good but I only use them on deadlift. I should look into using them on bench and other lifts.

Just for you VR i'll post a full photo spread tomorrow.

vains
May 26, 2004

A Big Ten institution offering distance education catering to adult learners

Fart Sandwiches posted:

I have a set of straps from Lift Big Eat Big that are pretty good but I only use them on deadlift. I should look into using them on bench and other lifts.

He's talking about these
http://www.bodybuilding.com/store/sck/wrist.html

not these

http://www.bodybuilding.com/store/gofit/cotton-wrist-straps.html

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
My gym has two different kinds of kg plates. Both are the legit Ivenko ones. There's the shiny steel ones and this odd matte type plate that looks like pressed sand or clay. They're odd. No spinners on each. Most of the barbells have free spinning ends though.

Fart Sandwiches
Apr 4, 2006

i never asked for this

Well maybe if I weren't dyslexic I would see that he wrote wrist WRAPS and not STRAPS. It took me 4 hours to write this post I hope you feel good about yourself.

elite_garbage_man
Apr 3, 2010
gently caress readin', just lift

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

So what's up with BCAAs? You guys notice a difference? It's found in most whey protein? As a bunch of Military/former Military dudes you guys surprisingly aren't supplement crazy.

Thinking of ordering a bunch from here when I order some whey http://us.myprotein.com/sports-nutrition/bcaa/10852382.html

Wondering if I should start taking creatine mono again :shrug: It's cheap so that's not the issue. How long do people generally take it? I know you'll hear varying poo poo about cycling it but I mean do professional athletes take it for years on end?

elite_garbage_man
Apr 3, 2010
Yeah I use bcaas in my post workout shake, and take protien throughout that has bcaas and glutamine mixed in already. ON Gold Standard Whey if you're wondering. There's a ton of good info on the benefits of bcaas out there so why not.

I've heard a ton of poo poo about creatine too, and I just take it on training days as it's part of my post workout protien powder (ON Hydrobuilder). Just be consistent when you use it and it will help, but it doesn't make the difference so staggering where you'd really even notice if you miss a day or 2. 3 and more and you'll definitely notice your appearance change in size and feel a little different.

elite_garbage_man fucked around with this message at 03:16 on Jul 23, 2014

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
I always liked seeing the fat army guys loading up on NOxplode and other goodies at the on-base GNC.

Fart Sandwiches
Apr 4, 2006

i never asked for this
On base GNC was the biggest fuckin scam. You'd get dudes who were totally gonna get ripped and drop like 200 bucks on supplements only to quit a week or 2 in. Lots of free poo poo from those dudes.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

elite_garbage_man posted:

Yeah I use bcaas in my post workout shake, and take protien throughout that has bcaas and glutamine mixed in already. ON Gold Standard Whey if you're wondering. There's a ton of good info on the benefits of bcaas out there so why not.

I've heard a ton of poo poo about creatine too, and I just take it on training days as it's part of my post workout protien powder (ON Hydrobuilder). Just be consistent when you use it and it will help, but it doesn't make the difference so staggering where you'd really even notice if you miss a day or 2. 3 and more and you'll definitely notice your appearance change in size and feel a little different.

When you say protein through you mean throughout the day? Intra-workouts are mostly just BCAAs, right?

Buying bulk through that site BCAAS are pretty cheap but I was just curious about your guys experience with 'em.

Yeah I took creatine mono for about 6 months or so and made some good gains. Was also taking beta alanine. Can't really attribute the gains to anything directly but just curious on exactly how long people take that poo poo.

As far as being consistent with creatine shouldn't you take it everyday even non-training days? I thought the whole thing with creatine was that it didn't really matter when you took it just if you took it around the same-ish time everyday and kept the creatine levels up in your body or w/e.

I'm trying not to get too supplement crazy. I was taking beta alanine just because I was working out pretty intensely. Other than that it's just caffeine pills pre-workout and the normal whey protein right now. Plus multi, green tea extract, fish oil, and vitamin-c extract. So a lot of vitamins :/

Nostalgia4Dogges fucked around with this message at 03:32 on Jul 23, 2014

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!

Christoff posted:

I'm trying not to get too supplement crazy.

Keep it that way. Save your money. There ain't anything BCAAs, creatine, or whatever will do for you that's worth the money. Spend cash on food and whey.

elite_garbage_man
Apr 3, 2010
Body Building and amazon are usually the places to go for the lowest prices on brand name poo poo, and get free shipping which is usually pretty quick even for ground service.

As for why take bcaas separately, it basically comes down to being absorbed faster and in larger quantities than just taking protein. Do some more reading, but honestly, you can get away with just using a decent protein powder and learning how to make food to adjust cals, sugars etc. They help retain muscle mass duriong cutting phases where you might lower protien intake or during periods of inactivity. More bcaas also help promote protein synthesis.

Like creatine, bcaas are pretty cheap and there isn't any reason why you shouldn't take them, especially if you've been training for some time. If you look around you can find plenty of protein vendors that have extra bcaas packed into the protein powder so you don't have to buy them separately (save yourself money for video games), and there usually isn't a significant price difference. Maybe they don't even put them in there, who knows.

elite_garbage_man fucked around with this message at 03:45 on Jul 23, 2014

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!

Body Building and amazon are usually the places to go for the lowest prices on brand name poo poo, and get free shipping which is usually pretty quick even for ground service.

Smartpowders.com own generic whey is a great deal at 35 bucks for 5lb. It's the Scivation poo poo just in a different jug. Matter of fact, I ordered 15 lb of the stuff a month ago and they just sent me the Scivation branded jugs which are like 50 bucks.

elite_garbage_man
Apr 3, 2010
Yeah I;ve seen that site, but I've been hesitant to go through with an order. I may give it a shot for a couple of weeks and see how it turns out.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!

Yeah I;ve seen that site, but I've been hesitant to go through with an order. I may give it a shot for a couple of weeks and see how it turns out.

They're legit. The owner posts in the YLLS powders thread and has put up third-party testing certifying the quality of the whey. Hell he's the guy who told me the Scivation brand and the generic Smartpowders whey is the same poo poo. I've been ordering from them for years.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

I usually use dpsnutrition.net because they have some decent coupons (10% off order over x amount etc) but recently discovered myprotein which used to be a UK only site. Going to place an order tonight. I've linked it above but check it out -

http://us.myprotein.com/

I've read good things and there was something about a lab testing the actual mg of protein in certain protein brands and they came out on top. Not sure how much BCAAs normally cost but 2.2 lbs is $50 there.

On the topic of BCAAs how much you guys taking and when? I know some people go all out and mix a bunch in a jug and sip on it all day. I always just thought you took it pre (possibly intra?) workout Their site says -

quote:

As a dietary supplement we recommend consuming 5 grams 2 - 4 times daily for optimal results. Best consumed with your preferred amount of water or fruit juice.

Beta alanine is continually getting a lot of positive press though. I know we're talking about not doing a ton of supplements but I'm tempted to order some more.

Nostalgia4Dogges fucked around with this message at 04:23 on Jul 23, 2014

Anansi The Spider
Jan 30, 2014

loved basic so much I decided to stay
How much is considered a scoop of C4? I took one yesterday morning before PT and it didn't do poo poo, at least I didn't feel any different or see any difference. Should I just increase amount taken?

For reference I did a 5 miler, then did power cleans and felt no different during either.

elite_garbage_man
Apr 3, 2010
Try butt chugging it.

Click Beelay
Oct 13, 2011

Apparently drunk me likes to write redundant programs, obviously not 100% accurate but saves me a couple minutes every now and then maybe someone else will find a use for it. There's a metric version too.

elite_garbage_man
Apr 3, 2010
I got fired up after reading some motivating anasi the spider training stories and blasted 335 for 17 reps on back squat. Same rep range as my last rep out, but my workup sets were higher in reps and weight. Felt fuckin solid.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

Here, watch this and get inspired as gently caress

http://www.cbssports.com/collegefootball/eye-on-college-football/24634158/video-iowa-ot-brandon-scherff-hang-cleans-443-pounds

elite_garbage_man
Apr 3, 2010
What's great about that is his technique is so loving awful, but that dude has so much brute loving strength it still flies up like no big deal.

it was really like a 443x3 reverse curl which is more impressive.

Whip Slagcheek
Sep 21, 2008

Finally
The Gasoline And Dynamite
Will Light The Sky
For The Night

I don't know what I just watched, but it isn't a hang clean.

elite_garbage_man
Apr 3, 2010
hang reverse curl power clean

Anansi The Spider
Jan 30, 2014

3 scoops of C4 is too much, I felt like I had loving meth bugs crawling up my skin until I started working out, then it subsided, still don't like the feeling of being sick unless I start burning it out of my system. I'll stay at like 1 and 1/2 or 2 scoops.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!

Anansi The Spider posted:

3 scoops of C4 is too much, I felt like I had loving meth bugs crawling up my skin until I started working out, then it subsided, still don't like the feeling of being sick unless I start burning it out of my system. I'll stay at like 1 and 1/2 or 2 scoops.

You're not an exceptionally bright kid are you?

Anansi The Spider
Jan 30, 2014

I wasn't feeling poo poo with 1 or 1 and a half

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!

Anansi The Spider posted:

I wasn't feeling poo poo with 1 or 1 and a half

Well what did the on-base GNC guy have to say?

pkells
Sep 14, 2007

King of Klatch

Come on, give him a break, it's not like there are directions that instruct you how much to take. Everyone makes mistakes.

Oh, wait

Anansi The Spider
Jan 30, 2014

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!

You're a loving idiot if you interpreted that as "take a lot more than what the label says."

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Shouldn't take any of that bullshit anyways IMO

If you're gonna go crazy might as well just go all out and take oxy elite pro

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
I take a half a scoop of musclepharm assault because it guarantees an amazing poop. I don't like to weight lift not empty. Beyond that, pre workout doesn't do poo poo for me. It's just a good way to ensure a dump and drink some water beforehand all in one fell swoop.

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Always gotta pay it forward.
Hopefully he videos his heart exploding. Anyhow, after several months of working on my shoulder flexibility I'm starting to see some definite improvement. Most noticeably when I'm squatting. It's pretty amazing how much better I feel just from being able to tighten up my upper back more.

Kung Fu Fist Fuck
Aug 9, 2009

just start shooting meth into your dick

Crazy Mike
Sep 16, 2005

Now with 25% more kimchee.

Well what did the on-base GNC guy have to say?

C4 is on the way out, the new product is Neon Sport Volt.
http://www.highintensitysupplements.com/reviews/neon-sport-volt-review-2/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anansi The Spider
Jan 30, 2014

Holy gently caress, if you pound down a fifth of vodka, then take one scoop of C4 you can stay hosed up like 2x as long. I felt like I could lift a fridge so I did a dickton of pullups and got really ducking lightheaded, still an amazing gains day my chest is sore as poo poo