Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fellwenner
Oct 21, 2005
Don't make me kill you.

Well, it's not just about right and wrong, although wanting and trying to kill someone for what they haven't done is probably wrong. It's conduct, standards of behavior. It's totally one sided.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

I've long been fascinated with how the alt-right develops elaborate and obscure dog whistles to try to communicate their meaning without having to say it out loud
Stepan Andreyevich Bandera being the most prominent example of that
"We will never forgive you for the person our parents told you to kill. By the way don't help her cousin he needs to die our parents said so."

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

Pavlov posted:

"We will never forgive you for the person our parents told you to kill. By the way don't help her cousin he needs to die our parents said so."

Maybe laird gets bad karma but for the kids this is good karma, no? Maybe bad if they know Molly was just going to hang out at home shivering. But otherwise, killing a famous diabolist (ok so probably good for laird too) before they could become a threat? Seems like a net good in terms of karma.

Not really fair that binding demons seems to auto give you bad karma though just for associating with them. That seems like the big bullshit card to me.

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

I've long been fascinated with how the alt-right develops elaborate and obscure dog whistles to try to communicate their meaning without having to say it out loud
You know, the fact that Wildbow can start a chapter with the line "Buttsack had this down to a science." amuses me to no end.

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

Well that explains a loving poo poo ton don't it?

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Well, you've certainly hosed up, girl.

hollylolly
Jun 5, 2009

Do you like superheroes? Check out my CYOA Mutants: Uprising

How about weird historical fiction? Try Vampires of the Caribbean

Poor Maggie!!

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006
What ridiculously fun twists. It helps that we don't know the rules of magic, so whatever Wildbow needs to happen is what happens, but still.

Edit: Do the events of this chapter mean Toronto counts towards Maggie's three episodes of blood and fire?

Grundulum fucked around with this message at 09:31 on Jul 12, 2014

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Of course! Maggie is the one who's there, after all. It doesn't matter that the girl who used to have that name isn't.

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

Its almost like we're a Bureaucracy, in space!

I set sail for the Planet of Lab Requisitions!!

Oh my god what a clusterfuck. Sucks to be you (not)Maggie! I wonder if she and Blake can be disenfranchised BFF's now.

pumpinglemma
Apr 28, 2009

DD: Fondly regard abomination.

Grundulum posted:

What ridiculously fun twists. It helps that we don't know the rules of magic, so whatever Wildbow needs to happen is what happens, but still.

Edit: Do the events of this chapter mean Toronto counts towards Maggie's three episodes of blood and fire?

We do know this sort of thing is possible with faerie, though - remember when Padraic tried to make a bargain with Blake for his apologies?

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

That solicited kiss with Blake makes more sense now too. It was just Padrick trying to make drama.

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

Now I'm really wondering how much sabotage or how much support "maggie" got up to.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
wow, tho, that girl got punked

NinjaDebugger
Apr 22, 2008

Tollymain posted:

wow, tho, that girl got punked

She shoulda read more fairy tales. Never make a deal with a fairy. They're even worse than dragons.

packsmack
Jan 6, 2013

Saros posted:

Oh my god what a clusterfuck. Sucks to be you (not)Maggie! I wonder if she and Blake can be disenfranchised BFF's now.

Them becoming BFF's and gaining a bunch of power and coming back to kick rear end would be awesome.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!
One interesting thing about this is that apparently faeries can lie? She explicitly asked 'is this a trap' to which he said 'no'. Unless Patrick didn't consider it a trap?

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Eh, if a practitioner even remotely familiar with faeries makes an open-ended deal with them the faeries probably figure they had it coming.

Thom Yorke raps
Nov 2, 2004

thespaceinvader posted:

One interesting thing about this is that apparently faeries can lie? She explicitly asked 'is this a trap' to which he said 'no'. Unless Patrick didn't consider it a trap?

He doesn't say it isn't a trap, he says the Lord will not trap her. He doesn't answer her question, which should have set off her alarm bells.

quote:

“Is this a trap?” she asked.

“I harbor no animosity toward you, Maggie dear,” Patrick said. “I find you interesting, I would tarnish myself if I suggested becoming a familiar to someone boring. I’m motivated by interest: Maggie Holt in one hand, Toronto in the other. Combining the two seems like common sense.”

Patrick used his hands to gesture, clasping them together as he said ‘combining’.

“Are you anticipating that this Lord-level entity I’m supposed to meet is going to trap me or otherwise act against me in some form that escapes the protection you’re offering?”

“No.”

Fellwenner
Oct 21, 2005
Don't make me kill you.

Yeah, Rose would have been all over that poo poo.

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction
Yeah if someone gives a long winded answer to "Is this a trap?" and you don't immediately back out it's on your rear end really.

Maybe it'll work out for her though. Somehow. Having no name has got to be an advantage of sorts, if only for the opportunities for shenanigans it opens up.

Rose Spirit
Nov 4, 2010

:33 < APEX PURREDATOR
Does anyone still read Ra? I picked it up at this thread's recommendation and just caught up. I like it a lot despite the clunky writing and the :stare: plot twists that have happened in the past few chapters.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
has it updated recently?

Rose Spirit
Nov 4, 2010

I have no idea? The most recent chapter seems to be "Machine Space". How often does it update?

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Not very swiftly.

Also I just caught up again. I think it's finally clear what's actually happening.

Lyon
Apr 17, 2003
The writer of Ra is a goon I believe.

Rose Spirit
Nov 4, 2010

I wonder how much longer it'll end up being; the current arc seems like it's heading for a climax but after Worm I can't be sure anymore.

Virigoth
Apr 28, 2009

Corona rules everything around me
C.R.E.A.M. get the virus
In the ICU y'all......

"Motherfucker!"

hahahahahahahah. That made me laugh out loud.

P.S. New Pact is up

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

And booooy is it interesting:

The Girl in the Checkered Scarf (henceforth TGITCS) apparently doesn't know that one can lie in writing and it doesn't matter. She spent a long time apparently looking for ways to catch out Padraic, but I don't think, based on the Histories arc, she'd be able to?

I was wondering what Sandra's motivation might be... then I thought about the contract and maybe it was to make TGITCS sign it... The I wondered, what if Maggie Holt|Padraic already DID? Would it be binding afterwards?

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006
This has really been a rough couple of arcs for sympathetic POV characters in Pact.

At least we are back to Thursday updates, though!

Edit: well, since I'm still the last post, here's a thought. Both Maggie and Blake have to deal with suddenly losing their connections to people. Maybe what Maggie learns here will help Blake.

Grundulum fucked around with this message at 09:24 on Jul 18, 2014

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Pact hadn't really been making a strong impression on me so I'd fallen a little behind in reading it. Just read the last 5 or so updates, and wow. Poor Maggie, or, I guess more accurately, not-Maggie.

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006
Final chapter in the Checkered Scarf saga drops Thursday. Only two big takeaways for today's chapter: (1) Johannes is a different threat class than Laird -- probably closer to Conquest, and (2) having a demesnes, especially a big one, is a seriously big power boost within the domain. We didn't get much sense of the latter from the Conquest arc. It was too easy to ascribe it to Conquest himself rather than the area around him.

Edit: crap, forgot to post this. Quote from the comments section for this chapter.

Wildbow posted:

Now here I am, and I’m looking to move – which I put off until after the wedding. Once I move, I hope to have the time to dedicate myself more to editing Worm and getting it out there. Once I have it fairly polished, I’m thinking I might put segments of it (ie. arc 1 first, then arc 2 when I have that done, etc) up for subscribers on Patreon and send it out to big donators, but I want to talk to a lawyer and make sure I’m not shooting myself in the foot first.

In general, though, other little stuff…

I got a job offer for some video game writing from some guys with something of a pedigree, and I don’t want to go too into depth before anything’s finalized or not finalized, but it’s a thing, and it’s cool, because having a part in making a video game is on my bucket list. We’re chatting, in the meantime.

I also got a lot of offers from startups. And when I say a lot, I mean that when April rolled around and people started graduating, I had no less than 12 internet startups reach out to me, wanting me to get involved in their ideas. And I’ve had maybe another 12 reach out before/after that. I started a blog post on my pig’s pen blog and haven’t quite finished it due to all the chaos, but I get frustrated with these offers, because I feel like I keep saying the same things over and over again. I wish these guys the best, I really do, but jumping ship and latching onto something is risky when I’m still sorta treading water and ahhh! Maybe a blog post about all that, when I can find the time.

I’ve enjoyed the past few arcs. I’ve said it before, but I don’t know that Pact is something I’d want to edit and publish, as-is, but I’m learning a lot and it’s apparently entertaining enough to maintain an audience, so yay. Not all bad.

Hugoon Chavez
Nov 4, 2011

THUNDERDOME LOSER
As far as other webserials go, I'm reading Superpowereds right now:

http://www.drewhayesnovels.com/superpowereds/

It's not amazing, but good enough as a distraction. Bunch of college kid superheroes (so far). Obviously it doesn't hold a candle to Worm, as if anything does in the webserial world, but it's ok.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Grundulum posted:

Final chapter in the Checkered Scarf saga drops Thursday. Only two big takeaways for today's chapter: (1) Johannes is a different threat class than Laird -- probably closer to Conquest, and (2) having a demesnes, especially a big one, is a seriously big power boost within the domain. We didn't get much sense of the latter from the Conquest arc. It was too easy to ascribe it to Conquest himself rather than the area around him.

Edit: crap, forgot to post this. Quote from the comments section for this chapter.

I don't think Conquest's Lordship of Toronto is a Demesne per se - in particular, because he could give you permission to establish a demesne within his territory, and I get the impression, at least, that demesnes aren't really transferrable except by death. Demesnes are a place where a practitioner (which, note, big C isn't, strictly speaking) is uber-powerful.

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

God drat yes she kept her connection to Blake he's got a loving chance.

Wolpertinger
Feb 16, 2011

NecroMonster posted:

God drat yes she kept her connection to Blake he's got a loving chance.

Halleluja!

Also, Johannes having an angel as a familiar is pretty badass - I'm curious about angels and hope they go into more detail. Though angels are obviously not going to be kind rosy-cheeked cherubs I bet they would be extremely useful weapons against their opposites.

That arc was probably my favorite Pact arc to date - Maggie has grown on me way more than I would have thought when I heard they were going to have an arc centered on her.

Wolpertinger fucked around with this message at 09:08 on Jul 24, 2014

Virigoth
Apr 28, 2009

Corona rules everything around me
C.R.E.A.M. get the virus
In the ICU y'all......

I think you meant Mags.

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

Padraic may have, by sheer loving co-incidence, saved Blake with his identity fuckery.

And Johannes is every bit the really awesome character I thought he was going to be, shame Blake didn't talk to this dude before he managed to get himself really loving screwed.

TheRagamuffin
Aug 31, 2008

In Paradox Space, when you cross the line, your nuts are mine.
I don't want this to be the last Mags chapter. This arc is the best part of the story so far. :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Johannes is the closest a human can get to motherfucking Lucifer and as such is the last person a diabolist wishing to work good wants to associate with.

Edit: In a world where metaphors have that much power, that's not a joke.

• Locked thread