Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
gently caress yeah! Blaster Master has its issues but is overall pretty great. Some of the best music on the NES, too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RMZXAnarchy
Sep 9, 2011

*Insert Sailor Jupiter joke here*
Nintendo released a Nintendo Minute today focusing on Capcom.

No word on when MM5 and 6 will hit Wii U (in fact they neglect to even mention that they're on the way) but they did mention that Battle Network 1 will release on July 31st.

MykonosFan
Sep 9, 2012

Hows my homies training
going? Whaa? Hey! What
are you doing Ronald?

I guess I should stop anticipating an NA Pokemon TCG release and just try not to think about it so I can be pleasantly surprised when we do get it.

pichupal
Mar 23, 2013

Poochy ain't Stupid.
I might be.

MykonosFan posted:

I guess I should stop anticipating an NA Pokemon TCG release and just try not to think about it so I can be pleasantly surprised when we do get it.

You could always play the Pokemon Trading Card Game Online with the GBC soundtrack playing in the background.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
PAL update (week of July 24):

quote:

WII U eSHOP
    Master Reboot - €11.99 / £9.99
    Wooden Sen'Sey - €9.99 / £8.00
    Super Toy Cars - €7.99 / £6.99
WII U VIRTUAL CONSOLE
    Mega Man Battle Network (GBA, US ver.) - €6.99 / £6.29
    Mega Man 5 (NES, US ver.) - €4.99 / £3.49
    Mega Man 6 (NES, US ver.) - €4.99 / £3.49
WII U SALES/PROMOTIONS
    Mario Kart 8/Club Nintendo digital promotion - register MK8 on Club Nintendo before July 31, get a free digital game! (info)
    Pullblox World promotion (Wii U) - own Pullblox or Fallblox for 3DS, get 30% off Pullblox World for Wii U! Ends July 31.]
    Clu Clu Land (Wii U VC) - €2.49 / £1.74 for owners of NES Remix 1 or 2, ends July 31
    Dr. Mario (Wii U VC) - €2.49 / £1.74 for owners of NES Remix 1 or 2, ends July 31
    Excitebike (Wii U VC) - €2.49 / £1.74 for owners of NES Remix 1 or 2, ends July 31
    Ice Hockey (Wii U VC) - €2.49 / £1.74 for owners of NES Remix 1 or 2, ends July 31
    Super Mario Bros. (Wii U VC) - €3.49 / £2.44 for owners of NES Remix 1 or 2, ends July 31
    The Legend of Zelda (Wii U VC) - €3.49 / £2.44 for owners of NES Remix 1 or 2, ends July 31
    Urban Champion (Wii U VC) - €2.49 / £1.74 for owners of NES Remix 1 or 2, ends July 31

3DS eSHOP
    Siesta Fiesta - €2.99 / £2.69
3DS SALES/PROMOTIONS
    Steamworld Dig (3DS eShop) - €4.49 / £3.99 until July 31
    escapeVektor (3DS eShop) - €3.99 / £3.59 until July 31
    Pokemon Link: Battle (3DS eShop) - €4.99 / £4.99 until July 31
    Real Heroes: Firefighter 3D (3DS eShop) - €4.99 / £4.99 until July 31
    Aqua Moto Racing 3D (3DS eShop) - €3.99 / £3.39 until July 31
    Snow Moto Racing 3D (3DS eShop) - €3.99 / £3.39 until July 31

NA update (week of July 24):

quote:

3DS eSHOP
    Wooden Sen'Sey - $9.99
    Master Reboot - $14.99
    Super Toy Cars - $7.99
    Chubbins - $3.99 (permanent price reduction)
WII U VIRTUAL CONSOLE
    Ufouria: The Sage (NES) - $4.99
WII U SALES/PROMOTIONS
    Mario Kart 8/Club Nintendo digital promotion - register MK8 on Club Nintendo before July 31, get a free digital game! (info)
    Poker Dice Solitaire Future (Wii U eShop) - $0.99 until August 6
    Trine 2: Directors' Cut (Wii U eShop) - $7.99 until August 14

3DS RETAIL DOWNLOADS
    Scooby Doo! & Looney Tunes Cartoon Universe: Adventure - $19.99
3DS eSHOP
    Siesta Fiesta - $5.99
    101 Pony Pets 3D - $?
    Pick-A-Gem - $2.99
3DS VIRTUAL CONSOLE
    Blaster Master (NES) - $4.99
3DS SALES/PROMOTIONS
    Etrian Odyssey 4 (3DS) - $14.99 until July 21
    Etrian Odyssey Untold (3DS) - $14.99 until July 21
    Jett Rockett 2: Wrath of Taikai (3DS eShop) - $4.99 until July 24
    Steamworld Dig (3DS eShop) - $4.49 until July 31
    escapeVektor (3DS eShop) - $3.99 until July 31
    Disney's Frozen: Olaf's Quest (3DS) - $19.99 until July 31
    Swords & Soldiers 3D (3DS eShop) - $3.99 until July 31
    Witch & Hero (3DS eShop) - $2.79 until July 31
    Shin Megami Tensei: Soul Hackers (3DS) - "on sale" from July 21-August 4
CLUB NINTENDO DIGITAL REWARDS
    3D Classics Kid Icarus (3DS eShop) - 200 Coins, available until August 3
    Donkey Kong Jr. (Wii U VC) - 200 Coins, available until August 3
    Metal Torrent (DSiWare) - 200 Coins, available until August 3
    Paper Mario (Wii VC) - 250 Coins, available until August 3

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar
I'm psyched for Blaster Master since I could never get past level 5 when I was a kid and will use the hell out of the save state feature. gently caress YOU GAME HERE I COME

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

Like a lot of old games the key to Blaster Master while on foot is to build up your powers and then never get hit or you're boned. World 5 is when the visuals and music really take off for a game that's got good visuals and music the whole way, but it's got that giant jackass crab.

You know the grenade trick right?

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar
Oh the key is to not get hit?????? I was doing it wrong this whole time.

Yeah, learned of the grenade trick way too late in life and the loving crab is what got me each time. NOT THIS TIME THOUGH.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

Well for most of the game getting hit's not a big problem and is the best way to just power through it, there are even enemies that hit you (but die), doing damage (but immediately dropping health refills). Hell if you do get hit from full gun-power, you all but need to get hit a second time then grab some health because the penultimate weapon is really awkward to aim and use.

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar
Yeah I was being snarky since the goal of like every game made is to not get hit. Blaster Master isn't too tough of a game but I feel it was the bane of a lot of children's existence.

deadwing
Mar 5, 2007

Louisgod posted:

I'm psyched for Blaster Master since I could never get past level 5 when I was a kid and will use the hell out of the save state feature. gently caress YOU GAME HERE I COME

i will find my frog

who took my frog

ANIME MONSTROSITY
Jun 1, 2012

by XyloJW
Was Blaster Master the game Khad LP'd with Lowtax?

BloodDesk UnderHell
Sep 24, 2007

Wow! He licks good boot!
Going back to level 1 to reach level 4 blew my mind as a kid. Too bad Metroid-master isn't so catchy.

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,
we won't need eyes to see.

ANIME MONSTROSITY posted:

Was Blaster Master the game Khad LP'd with Lowtax?

No, that was Treasure Master

Thirteen Orphans
Dec 2, 2012

I am a writer, a doctor, a nuclear physicist and a theoretical philosopher. But above all, I am a man, a hopelessly inquisitive man, just like you.
What are some not-to-be-missed Virtual Console games that are exclusive to the Wii VC catalog?

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

Incarnate Dao posted:

What are some not-to-be-missed Virtual Console games that are exclusive to the Wii VC catalog?

One thing that springs to mind is Paper Mario because it is currently a club Nintendo reward so you can get it for some CN coins.

Crawfish
Dec 11, 2012

All of the decent N64 stuff until they start putting it on the Wii U VC I guess.

RMZXAnarchy
Sep 9, 2011

Incarnate Dao posted:

By exclusive to the Wii VC do you also mean not available on the 360 or PS3?

Either way, I'll recommend Pulseman. That's a fun genesis game.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

Incarnate Dao posted:

Too many to list, really, unless you wanna narrow it down to certain genres or something. There are entire platforms that are on the Wii VC but not the Wii U - Sega Master System/Megadrive, Turbografx-16/CD, Neo Geo, a bunch of random arcade games, even N64 doesn't have an ETA for Wii U just yet.

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

~As for dreams, she has enough and more to spare~

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

Hopefully they're able to fix Ufouria's music this time around.

Judging by the eShop trailer they didn't. I doubt it'll be any different but can anyone who actually grabbed the game confirm either way?

RMZXAnarchy
Sep 9, 2011

absolutely anything posted:

Judging by the eShop trailer they didn't. I doubt it'll be any different but can anyone who actually grabbed the game confirm either way?

What's wrong with the music, may I ask?

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

RMZXAnarchy posted:

What's wrong with the music, may I ask?

A lot of Sunsoft NES games used the DPCM sample-playback function to generate basslines rather than the standard triangle wave; it sounds great, but if you try to play the game at a refresh rate it wasn't designed for (in this case, playing a 50HZ game at 60HZ) the bass will desync from the rest of the music. It's a unique problem that comes from a) Sunsoft being cool hardware dudes and b) Sunsoft being one of the few companies that bothered to properly retime their poo poo for 50HZ.

RMZXAnarchy
Sep 9, 2011

A lot of Sunsoft NES games used the DPCM sample-playback function to generate basslines rather than the standard triangle wave; it sounds great, but if you try to play the game at a refresh rate it wasn't designed for (in this case, playing a 50HZ game at 60HZ) the bass will desync from the rest of the music. It's a unique problem that comes from a) Sunsoft being cool hardware dudes and b) Sunsoft being one of the few companies that bothered to properly retime their poo poo for 50HZ.

So, instead of taking the Japanese version and just slapping the translated stuff on top of that they just took the European version and made it run 60hz?

That's kind of dumb.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Pretty much, yeah. Vic Ireland was handling Sunsoft's stuff for the Wii VC and he said it wasn't his call to make, but I don't remember whether it was a Sunsoft thing or a Nintendo thing (it was probably both).

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
I haven't played a Paper Mario except for the one released on Wii (I enjoyed it!) and I love Super Mario RPG. A few months ago I realized Thousand Year Door was apparently a really great game and then I happened upon it at a local game shop so I bought it, but haven't gotten around to playing it. Is the N64 Paper Mario great too and worth spending some coins now or should I just stick with hoping to get around to playing TYD some day?

Wildtortilla fucked around with this message at 13:41 on Jul 25, 2014

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Oh absolutely. The Thousand Year door improves upon it in almost every way, but the original Paper Mario is just fantastic through and through. The only thing is you have to finish a prologue before you get timed action commands, which ate the core component of the game, so the first half hour may seem really shallow, but trust me it isn't, soon after you get badges and timed commands so battle is really fun.

The only main problem of PaperMario is as an N64 game its pretty low resolution and sometimes the text is hard to read, but YMMV.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Two more games coming to Wii U eShop:

-Trine Enchanted Edition, a remake of the original game using the new engine that adds online play, mid-level saves and some other junk. It's already out on PC, will be out for Wii U (and PS4) later in the year.

-The Swapper, an atmospheric puzzle-platformer, is coming to Wii U courtesy of Curve Studios. It's been available on PC for about a year and will be out on PS3/4/Vita next month; the Wii U version will be out around November.

Sarchasm
Apr 14, 2002

So that explains why he did not answer. He had no mouth to answer with. There is nothing left of him but his ears.

-The Swapper, an atmospheric puzzle-platformer, is coming to Wii U courtesy of Curve Studios. It's been available on PC for about a year and will be out on PS3/4/Vita next month; the Wii U version will be out around November.

The Swapper is legit. A friend gifted it to me during the last Steam sale and I just recently finished it up. It has a unique look and gets downright devious towards the end. drat good game. I wish the plot was executed a bit better but it's a puzzle game, the plot is a disposable luxury.

Definitely recommended.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Two bits of news from Comiccon:

-Nes Remix 1+2 is getting a retail release in North America, as "NES Remix Pack". It'll be out for the holidays.

-Nazo no Murasamejou aka Murasame's Mysterious Castle is coming to the NA 3DS VC, it'll be out August 7.

BoredMarc
Jun 14, 2010
DUMB AS SHIT
The SMT games are on sale again. I was thinking about getting one of them. Are either of the cheaper ones worth getting? Or should I pay the extra money for SMT4?

night slime
May 14, 2014

BoredMarc posted:

The SMT games are on sale again. I was thinking about getting one of them. Are either of the cheaper ones worth getting? Or should I pay the extra money for SMT4?

SMT4 is $20 at Gamestop for a physical edition, just fyi.

BoredMarc
Jun 14, 2010
DUMB AS SHIT

night slime posted:

SMT4 is $20 at Gamestop for a physical edition, just fyi.

That is good to know. But are the other games on the 3ds eshop even worth considering? SMT4 looks better but I like the science fiction setting of the other ones. Does SMT4 take play in the past, or the future after all technology has crumbled?

Sarchasm
Apr 14, 2002

So that explains why he did not answer. He had no mouth to answer with. There is nothing left of him but his ears.

BoredMarc posted:

That is good to know. But are the other games on the 3ds eshop even worth considering? SMT4 looks better but I like the science fiction setting of the other ones. Does SMT4 take play in the past, or the future after all technology has crumbled?

It's a bit of a spoiler, but the medieval setting of the game is eventually revealed to be a sanctuary for humanity that exists separate from a post-apocalyptic world, and the bulk of the game involves exploring post-apocalyptic Tokyo.

BoredMarc
Jun 14, 2010
DUMB AS SHIT

Sarchasm posted:

It's a bit of a spoiler, but the medieval setting of the game is eventually revealed to be a sanctuary for humanity that exists separate from a post-apocalyptic world, and the bulk of the game involves exploring post-apocalyptic Tokyo.

That sounds cool.

Sarchasm
Apr 14, 2002

BoredMarc posted:

That sounds cool.

It is.

RMZXAnarchy
Sep 9, 2011

-Nes Remix 1+2 is getting a retail release in North America, as "NES Remix Pack". It'll be out for the holidays.

Oh dammit. I knew this was going to happen.

I should've waited on these instead of buying them when they came out.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

RMZXAnarchy posted:

Oh dammit. I knew this was going to happen.

I should've waited on these instead of buying them when they came out.

Why? It's coming out at the same price as both of them, and now you never have to swap a disc out to play them.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

greatn posted:

and now you never have to swap a disc out to play them.
for me at least, actually owning a game disc is very much worth having to get up to change it.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
I agree. Resale value on Nintendo items holds really well and I don't like the idea of my games just vanishing after this generation ends. Nintendo isn't exactly the best at online stuff, so I doubt I'll be able to download those games again in 10 years+. I sold my DS library and was able to get a 3ds and about half as many games as I had previously, can't do that with eShop retail titles. I like the eShop for classic titles and cheap indie games, those aren't a big deal to me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TechnoSyndrome
Apr 10, 2009

STARE
You say that but the Wii U is the only console of the three this generation where your last gen purchases transfered over and are still playable. Also I don't know how you can say "I want to redowload my games in ten years" and "I sold my entire DS collection to buy a 3DS" in the same post.

TechnoSyndrome fucked around with this message at 17:04 on Jul 27, 2014