Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

I know you're trying to steer away from Souls chat, but the juxtaposition is amusing since the rating system in the games works the same way. Makes sense there, not so much for Youtube.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

How much do you regret playing Touhou for the internet, Slowbeef?

slowbeef
Mar 15, 2005

Will Harvey hates you, and everything you stand for.
Pillbug

Genocyber posted:

I know you're trying to steer away from Souls chat, but the juxtaposition is amusing since the rating system in the games works the same way. Makes sense there, not so much for Youtube.

It kinda makes its own sense - you don't want users dictating the search results directly and excluding controversial results. An Anita Sarkeesian video is going to be downvoted to hell and back... but a video that mentions her in the tags to game the system? Users will more likely just pass it by.

I guess.

a cartoon duck posted:

How much do you regret playing Touhou for the internet, Slowbeef?

I still say Crimzon Clover is better, though.

Also I don't, I figured I'd make people mad with that one. I lost a few subscribers but eh. I lost a bunch to Video Game Therapist too, so easy come, easy go!

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

slowbeef posted:

Also I don't, I figured I'd make people mad with that one. I lost a few subscribers but eh. I lost a bunch to Video Game Therapist too, so easy come, easy go!

The one you were playing also came out in 2002. They've gotten a lot better since then.

watho
Aug 2, 2013

The real world will, again tomorrow, function and run without me.

I really like Touhou 10 but it was my first Bullet Hell so that might be the reason why.

Speaking of Touhou, raocow's LPs of the 'Marissa and Alice' fangames are fantastic.

The first one (Not as good as the second but worth it for the last episode)
The second one!

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

slowbeef posted:

You're not doing a great job! (I know it's not you.) edit: Oh wait, maybe it is. You're not doing a great job!

THIS IS A HORRIBLE WAY TO FIND THIS OUT.

I'm TurtliciousDefinitions. Turtlicious is someone else.

slowbeef
Mar 15, 2005

Pillbug
Okay, so I really like to get into YouTube stats lately. I cannot for the life of me explain this:

DarkSydePhil is losing subscribers???

Seriously, I left my slowbeef account alone for like... months and I still gained by dribs and drabs. In fact as far as I'm aware, everyone trends positive. I'll grant the average is thrown by that -2000 which was due to YouTube pulling inactive accounts, but there's a lot of negative days. Did something happen this month with that guy?

edit: His views are still alright, and accounting for the -2000, he's still in the positive. Still, I've never seen that.

Turtlicious posted:

THIS IS A HORRIBLE WAY TO FIND THIS OUT.

I'm TurtliciousDefinitions. Turtlicious is someone else.

Just link it. I don't want to make fun of you; I want to see if there's something you're doing wrong. I can't become rich and famous on YouTube, I might as well help you!!! probably cannot help you

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

You probably gained subscribers from people coming upon your existing content and deciding that they liked it enough to subscribe. Hell, I toss out subscriptions to channels that I don't watch every video just because I feel like they do a good enough job to deserve a boost to their count. Or they found Retsupurae and looked up your other one.

DSP is probably losing subscribers because he's an abrasive rear end in a top hat.

....how long has it been since the last time he was mentioned?

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------
Despair will never let you down.
Malice will never disappoint you.

slowbeef posted:

Okay, so I really like to get into YouTube stats lately. I cannot for the life of me explain this:

Seriously, I left my slowbeef account alone for like... months and I still gained by dribs and drabs. In fact as far as I'm aware, everyone trends positive. I'll grant the average is thrown by that -2000 which was due to YouTube pulling inactive accounts, but there's a lot of negative days. Did something happen this month with that guy?

edit: His views are still alright, and accounting for the -2000, he's still in the positive. Still, I've never seen that.

That is pretty bizarre. I haven't uploaded anything public to my account for two years now and I'm still gaining subscribers. Then again, I don't have people actively disparaging me because I'm that terrible. I wouldn't think that would have any direct negative effect, just limiting the positive one, but maybe I'm wrong. And then again again, I'm only at like 150 and I don't do LP on my YT account.

Wiseblood
Dec 31, 2000

I always wondered if his relentless update schedule was detrimental to his subscriber numbers. I know if I were actually a fan of DSP I wouldn't want to subscribe to his channel because he just uploads so many videos that he would dominate your subscriber feed.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe

slowbeef posted:

Should we care? The less we talk about this guy, the better.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Wiseblood posted:

I always wondered if his relentless update schedule was detrimental to his subscriber numbers. I know if I were actually a fan of DSP I wouldn't want to subscribe to his channel because he just uploads so many videos that he would dominate your subscriber feed.

As part of my job, I've read about that aspect of marketing (specifically in the context of YouTube) and you're probably right. The most popular channels have a regular update schedule, often three or four videos a week and usually on the same days. Some channels with a higher output get around it by having several types of videos, like a review and a comedy video both being uploaded on the same day.

What viewers don't like is either a relentless spam of content or sporadic, random uploads. Those both driver viewers away.

It helps if you're not DarkSydePhil as well. Just being him is a detriment.

watho
Aug 2, 2013

The real world will, again tomorrow, function and run without me.

Wiseblood posted:

Yes. Though instead of having around 100,000 people watch one video every day, he has around 2,000 people watch up to 50 videos per day. He also doesn't do any editing what so ever if I'm not mistaken.

Essentially, the only thing that keeps him afloat is slowly sinking him.

Dr. Buttass
Aug 12, 2013

AWFUL SOMETHING

Patter Song posted:

I've never watched one of Anita Sarkeesian's videos, but the fact that she drives the worst sort of people online mad suggests that she's doing something right.

Eh. They're not stellar, actually. I've watched one or two. They're sort of :effort:. Her "Tropes Vs. Women" videos are literally just narrated TV Tropes pages.

It's not that she's doing anything right in particular, so much as that anti-feminist and grognard types are so hair-trigger on the lookout for people being mean to their pwecious menz and pweciouser vijamogaymz that even Sarkeesian's half-assed material registers on their radar.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

Dr. Buttass posted:

Eh. They're not stellar, actually. I've watched one or two. They're sort of :effort:. Her "Tropes Vs. Women" videos are literally just narrated TV Tropes pages.

It's not that she's doing anything right in particular, so much as that anti-feminist and grognard types are so hair-trigger on the lookout for people being mean to their pwecious menz and pweciouser vijamogaymz that even Sarkeesian's half-assed material registers on their radar.

I unabashadly love Sarkeesian's stuff, but yeah, she's not doing anything totally revolutionary. Feminist critique has been applied to all sorts of media, and she's far from the first to do it. I appreciate that she makes such information easily accessible as I think they can work as great tools for introducing and educating people who are utterly unaware of the issues in question.

At the end of the day, though, it's as Dr Butass says: internet sociopaths care far to much about their precious video games to tolerate any sort of criticism.

Edit: her early videos are pretty low fi, but the production and effort put into them has increased quite a bit as she's gone on. I'm really enjoying her women in video games series.

Sally fucked around with this message at 21:34 on Oct 5, 2014

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

slowbeef posted:

Just link it. I don't want to make fun of you; I want to see if there's something you're doing wrong. I can't become rich and famous on YouTube, I might as well help you!!! probably cannot help you

I have not made any videos in uhh... A year?

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms

chitoryu12 posted:

DSP is probably losing subscribers because he's an abrasive rear end in a top hat.

I avoid the DSP talk usually, but I wanted to butt in here. You have a lot more faith in humanity than me.

I imagine that a disinterested party is more likely to unsubscribe from a channel only if he or she updates frequently enough to be an active nuisance in one's subscriber feed. For instance: assume I'm tired of SephirothGoku420's videos. If he doesn't update for a year, I won't even think to unsubscribe from him. But if he updates 3-4 times daily, he's flooding my feed with videos I don't want to see and potentially making me miss videos I do. Since that's the only purpose these subscriptions serve (unlike Twitch or something), I'll likely unsubscribe.

Since big channels get big because of huge amounts of content, this means that only really big channels are likely to bleed significant percentages of their subscribers. Insert rant about The Advertising Fairy here.

Why do I think this is more common than people being offended, even in the tinderbox that is today's internet? Because they had to be a subscriber first. Anyone who would be terribly upset by his act would likely have not subscribed. It's not like a bowling ball dropped on his head recently and his personality changed, Fred Flintstone style.

Psychedelic Eyeball
Jan 10, 2006

Like it or not, we will build you a new civilization.

slowbeef posted:

Something which probably didn't help him was his move to Seattle, which is a period where he posted a series of incredibly uneventful and inane videos about how his living room looks like, him eating his first cooked meal ever since moving, and whatever other dull activity you can think of.

And yeah, being a giant douche, constantly making GBS threads on his fans and begging for subscribers on Twitch all of the time probably don't help his image.

frozentreasure
Nov 13, 2012

~
But…if you don't factor in the -2,000, he didn't lose subscribers. I don't think people unsubscribing is that astounding; some people might subscribe one day and unsub the next after just one day of their feed being flooded. That's not really a net loss for him, since the person didn't really stick around long enough, is it? There are plenty of other things that can be considered, and they all involve giving him more attention than he deserves (zero). Besides, that page is saying there are some days when DSP gets absolutely no views whatsoever, in between days of tens upon hundreds of thousands of views, and I find that a bit suspect.

Roar
Jul 7, 2007

I got 30 points!

I GOT 30 POINTS!

slowbeef posted:

Seriously, I left my slowbeef account alone for like... months and I still gained by dribs and drabs. In fact as far as I'm aware, everyone trends positive.

I've made almost nothing on my youtube account but mediocre lets plays and videos of my kids and have somehow maintained 50-60 subscribers. Pretty sure I've never gone down.

slowbeef
Mar 15, 2005

Pillbug

frozentreasure posted:

But…if you don't factor in the -2,000, he didn't lose subscribers. I don't think people unsubscribing is that astounding; some people might subscribe one day and unsub the next after just one day of their feed being flooded. That's not really a net loss for him, since the person didn't really stick around long enough, is it? There are plenty of other things that can be considered, and they all involve giving him more attention than he deserves (zero). Besides, that page is saying there are some days when DSP gets absolutely no views whatsoever, in between days of tens upon hundreds of thousands of views, and I find that a bit suspect.

No no, check it against other channels - you're right it's not a net loss without the big -2000, but you usually don't go negative as often as that.

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

I wasn't subscribed to DSP, but I have unsubscribed to channels when they kept putting 5-6 boring Minecraft videos a day, just because it filled up my feed with something I wasn't going to watch day after day. I can easily see his video output working against him.

goldjas
Feb 22, 2009

I HATE ALL FORMS OF FUN AND ENTERTAINMENT. I HATE BEAUTY. I AM GOLDJAS.

slowbeef posted:

It kinda makes its own sense - you don't want users dictating the search results directly and excluding controversial results. An Anita Sarkeesian video is going to be downvoted to hell and back... but a video that mentions her in the tags to game the system? Users will more likely just pass it by.

I guess.

Not really anything to do with this conversation, but I'm very happy that I now know what Crimzon Clover is, never heard of it before.

RSCNyx
Mar 6, 2013

It's okay, little guy. I would be scared too.
I think the amount of videos you upload at once is a pretty important deal. You can easily overwhelm people by just dumping dozens a video a day, and they won't watch every single one. They'll skip ahead so then they can keep up with the LP, which, if you're trying to be the rich, popular YouTuber, is a bit of a problem.

As for DSP, I think it's a combination of people being more aware that he's a huge jerk, the sheer amount of content subs are expected to keep up with, and a sudden influx of videos showing off his new house, that aren't about video games.

I think I've been getting subscribers due to my YouTube comments, which is pretty odd. Was working on an LP, but it's on hiatus until this school semester is over.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

RSCNyx posted:

I think the amount of videos you upload at once is a pretty important deal. You can easily overwhelm people by just dumping dozens a video a day, and they won't watch every single one. They'll skip ahead so then they can keep up with the LP, which, if you're trying to be the rich, popular YouTuber, is a bit of a problem.

Like I said before, that's absolutely correct. Statistically, a regular schedule keeps people interested. Spamming videos constantly drives viewers away similarly to having a sporadic update schedule. If you look at all the major YouTube channels, they often keep to a relatively regular schedule. DSP is a sort of stream of conscious spam.

And like watho said earlier, he's reliant on his spam to stay afloat because he doesn't have enough subscribers to merit dropping a "real job" for his LP income unless he gets them to add views to as many videos as possible. But that spam is going to be one of the many, many factors that keeps him from climbing the ladder.

As prominent as he is now around here, Philip Burnell is going to fizzle out if he doesn't clean up his act. Probably pretty soon.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

goldjas posted:

Not really anything to do with this conversation, but I'm very happy that I now know what Crimzon Clover is, never heard of it before.

I've watched slowbeef's Crimzon Clover videos and I still don't know what it is, other than an audio-visual device to make him giggle like a schoolgirl.

(But seriously, I can't understand how people are able to play those kind of games, there's SO MUCH poo poo going on.)

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Slowbeef can you please play some more touhou tyia.

slowbeef
Mar 15, 2005

Pillbug

Gaz-L posted:

(But seriously, I can't understand how people are able to play those kind of games, there's SO MUCH poo poo going on.)

Touhou really is a good introduction as it's slower paced. The trick is you end up just focusing on your ship and the bullets in the immediate area. You kinda figure out where you can go somewhat safely and you end up weaving through poo poo. It's a really cool thing; you kinda shut off your brain and play by just instinct. At first, I couldn't talk over them at all, but now I just pause when I have to navigate through some insane stuff.

Rythian
Dec 31, 2007

You take what comes, and the rest is void.

Downvotes and upvotes both counting for "votes" is also part of why the "reply girls" thing lasted as long as it did. It didn't matter that people clicked on it and disliked it, in fact that only helped it. It gave it views, and user interaction (even hateful comments, etc, drove it up in the relevance list - making the "related videos" filled with cleavage shot girls.)

The only thing that killed it was YouTube taking into account the "time watched" on the videos.

Similarly, in the comment section of videos, downvotes do nothing. That's why you always see the most horrible and stupid comments at the top, no matter how many people hate it and want to downvote it - see the stalker "PressFartToContinue" who always gets 30-40 people going "lol ur everywhere!!!" and therefore ends up being the most upvoted comment on all the videos he comments on (which is ALL of the Polaris videos has still hasn't been banned from.)

That's also why Sarkeesian disables comments on her videos - any theoretical discussion that would follow would be completely drowned in all the abuse she'd get.

Rythian fucked around with this message at 15:20 on Jul 24, 2014

IGgy IGsen
Apr 11, 2013

"If I lose I will set myself on fire."

slowbeef posted:

Last thing I heard is Tobuscus is stealing his views. He must also steal his subscribers now. What a douche.

The amount of time DSP haters put into making these videos always baffles me. But he actually deserves it.

So uh... Dark Souls and DSP.
What else aren't we supposed to talk about here anymore? DSP playing Dark Souls?

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

IGgy IGsen posted:

What else aren't we supposed to talk about here anymore? DSP playing Dark Souls?

It's the only time all of us in here would agree about how someone plays Dark Souls.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

IGgy IGsen posted:

It still amazes me that every time he would get invaded in a Souls game, he would suicide himself and then act smug as if he somehow "won".

Psychedelic Eyeball
Jan 10, 2006

Like it or not, we will build you a new civilization.

IGgy IGsen posted:

I don't even think his playthroughs qualify as his anymore considering he spends more time looking at his stream chat than the game itself.

Migeman
Aug 1, 2011
Well apparently he did start playing the DS2 DLC last night so I imagine there will be a 'this is how you don't play' soon.

slowbeef
Mar 15, 2005

Pillbug
What is the general opinion on Cry? Is there a good video of his that indicates what his stuff is like? He follows retsupurae, someone asked about getting him on the podcast but save "he's done stuff with Pewdiepie" but I don't really know anything about him.

Obscil
Feb 28, 2012

PLEASE LIKE ME!

slowbeef posted:

What is the general opinion on Cry? Is there a good video of his that indicates what his stuff is like? He follows retsupurae, someone asked about getting him on the podcast but save "he's done stuff with Pewdiepie" but I don't really know anything about him.

I used to watch videos of his, but haven't for awhile. So, I can't really give you a good video to recommend, but he seemed like a good guy. He did a lot of horror games. When I started watching him he was doing a lot of mods of amnesia. he never used a facecam, and was pretty chill for a horror game LPer. His commentary was mostly (what I think are) honest reaction to the game and odd jokes. He actually decided to stop doing amnesia mods because, they stopped scaring him, which was very noticeable in the later amnesia mod videos. He also does a weekly stream on fridays with a bunch of friends of his. I remember seeing harvester on one of his streams, which was pretty funny. I stopped watching him because I was tired of horror games, but he does other types of games nowadays from what I've seen from the recommendations. Overall, I think he's a pretty chill and nice guy.

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Hereby it is manifest that during the time men live without a common power to keep them all in awe, they are in that condition which is called war; and such a war as is of every man against every man.
Fun Shoe

RSCNyx posted:

I think I've been getting subscribers due to my YouTube comments, which is pretty odd. Was working on an LP, but it's on hiatus until this school semester is over.

Well, you do have the top comment on basically every Retsupurae video, it can't be that surprising. I see Eike's face staring back at me every time I scroll down below the description on one of their videos.

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

I just heard about the Yogscast's kickstarter situation, and while I don't watch them I wonder if that has negatively affected them at all, because I wonder what it exactly takes for a negative impact to actually occur, or if it does occur outside of special cases like DSP.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Magnetic North posted:

I avoid the DSP talk usually, but I wanted to butt in here. You have a lot more faith in humanity than me.

I imagine that a disinterested party is more likely to unsubscribe from a channel only if he or she updates frequently enough to be an active nuisance in one's subscriber feed. For instance: assume I'm tired of SephirothGoku420's videos. If he doesn't update for a year, I won't even think to unsubscribe from him. But if he updates 3-4 times daily, he's flooding my feed with videos I don't want to see and potentially making me miss videos I do. Since that's the only purpose these subscriptions serve (unlike Twitch or something), I'll likely unsubscribe.

Since big channels get big because of huge amounts of content, this means that only really big channels are likely to bleed significant percentages of their subscribers. Insert rant about The Advertising Fairy here.

Why do I think this is more common than people being offended, even in the tinderbox that is today's internet? Because they had to be a subscriber first. Anyone who would be terribly upset by his act would likely have not subscribed. It's not like a bowling ball dropped on his head recently and his personality changed, Fred Flintstone style.

To help emphasize this completely valid point, here's his gaming page screenshotted just today.

Jesus christ how does he even have the time/effort to put all that poo poo up each day? :psyduck:

bobjr posted:

I just heard about the Yogscast's kickstarter situation, and while I don't watch them I wonder if that has negatively affected them at all, because I wonder what it exactly takes for a negative impact to actually occur, or if it does occur outside of special cases like DSP.

I enjoy the Yogscast vids in the same way people find How I Met Your Mother entertaining. It's just something to slap on and listen to for the jokes etc. I don't think their views dropped significantly and despite sounding like an apologist, I think what they did with the outcome of the Yogventures fiasco wasn't a terribly bad move. They gave the backers a game they support and is at least mechanically similar, not the game they supported mind you but better than going "lol tough poo poo don't get anything." What was said in the email was a reminder that, per Kickstarter's rules/regulations, they were in the clear. That's why a game like Star Citizen is going to be hilarious to watch fail to deliver and see the pubbie anger and rage over it not matching their expectations.

Mekchu fucked around with this message at 19:02 on Jul 24, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D

slowbeef posted:

I can tell you that his fanbase is loving nuts because they're all in love with his voice and try to imagine what he looks like in real life. Also disturbing amounts of fanfic, but unfortunately that is the norm for any internet famous person.

Aside from that, I've been subscribed to his channel for several months now and for the most part he goes into games mostly blind, something I find kind of rare nowadays (or I don't look in the right places). He's good at editing out parts where he just fumbles around when he doesn't know what to do and personally, the appeal for me is when he's genuinely enjoying the game he plays and gets immersed in it.

He used to do a lot of horror games like Obscil said, but nowadays he actually plays a few short Steam indie games or older titles like Catherine, Parasite Eve and currently he's playing Okami. He does LP stuff that's more recent like Resident Evil 6 or just released like The Walking Dead. Despite going in blind with games, I think he's found his pace where he allows the game to speak for itself just as much as he reacts to what he's playing. Cry can do some dumb stuff (who doesn't), but for the most part he's presents himself as a rather chill dude who likes playing games.

I think a good way to get a feel for his videos is the Papo & Yo LP. It's only five videos, ranging from 20-40is minutes and the game itself is really unique.

Compendium fucked around with this message at 19:01 on Jul 24, 2014

• Locked thread