Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Orv
May 4, 2011

Zombie Samurai posted:

...and honestly it's a pretty solid game. The combat is good, there's a wild variety of enemies...

You are literally insane.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Ugh does The Witcher ever get interesting? The game seems to be essentially trundling from NPC to NPC on endless fetch quests.

blakelmenakle
Sep 1, 2007
AHEM! There's sand on my boots!

Eruonen posted:

Aside from ME3, were these the games in the set? I certainly didn't buy those (aside from DS1 on Steam).

I'm not complaining, but I also doubt I'll ever play them.

All those other games were part of the Origin Humble Bundle.

Nevett
Aug 31, 2001

Pretty sure Origin detects games added on Steam and shows them in your Origin client, because I had a bunch of games appear despite buying them on Steam.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

Ibram Gaunt posted:

So is Valve going to let us disable this loving moronic linkfilter bullshit they added? It was annoying enough having to click a button everytime I wanted to click on something I was linked but now half the time their linkfilter fucks up and it gives me a service error. I don't know how Valve gets away with bogging down the steam experience so much.

Its bullshit

Orv
May 4, 2011

Mr. Flunchy posted:

Ugh does The Witcher ever get interesting? The game seems to be essentially trundling from NPC to NPC on endless fetch quests.

1 or 2? 1 no, 2 shouldn't have that problem at all.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Orv posted:

1 or 2? 1 no, 2 shouldn't have that problem at all.

The first Witcher.

So the fetch quests have been toned down for the second game?

a7m2
Jul 9, 2012

blakelmenakle posted:

All those other games were part of the Origin Humble Bundle.

I feel incredibly silly.

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

The most important tricks to making Witcher 1 more fun:
- Set difficulty to easy
- Skip any side quest that sounds tedious or hard
- When you are in any area that lets you draw your sword, always have your silver sword drawn in Fast style, it makes you move faster than normal.

Nevett
Aug 31, 2001

Mr. Flunchy posted:

The first Witcher.

So the fetch quests have been toned down for the second game?

Yeah, most people recommend jumping straight to The Witcher 2. It's massively improved in every way, and includes a video at the start to get you up to speed story-wise.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Orv posted:

You are literally insane.

The gameplay, taken in a vacuum, is... okay I guess? Obviously not totally polished but serviceable. If I can take Metro 2033's shooting then I can take Afterfall's shooting/melee system. Afterfall Insanity's main problem is that the whole game is utterly boring. Yeah it goes into pretty crazytown in a few places but it blows through it so fast or without any comment, or both, that its all meaningless. So what if you've got an underground fake movie set city full of cannibals complete with fake weather that your character thought was the surface because he was previously living even further undergroud than that in a sterile white fallout bunker? If you just treat it as another shooting/bashing gallery without exploring any of it there's no point.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Gwyrgyn Blood posted:

The most important tricks to making Witcher 1 more fun:
- Set difficulty to easy
- Skip any side quest that sounds tedious or hard
- When you are in any area that lets you draw your sword, always have your silver sword drawn in Fast style, it makes you move faster than normal.

I think I'm going to try this speed mod and see if it improves the experience.

http://www.nexusmods.com/witcher/mods/256/

If not then so long Witcher.

Breadallelogram
Oct 9, 2012

Kibayasu posted:

The gameplay, taken in a vacuum, is... okay I guess? Obviously not totally polished but serviceable. If I can take Metro 2033's shooting then I can take Afterfall's shooting/melee system. Afterfall Insanity's main problem is that the whole game is utterly boring. Yeah it goes into pretty crazytown in a few places but it blows through it so fast or without any comment, or both, that its all meaningless. So what if you've got an underground fake movie set city full of cannibals complete with fake weather that your character thought was the surface because he was previously living even further undergroud than that in a sterile white fallout bunker? If you just treat it as another shooting/bashing gallery without exploring any of it there's no point.

I liked the melee combat for a couple hours but yeah, the game got extremely boring.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Mr. Flunchy posted:

I think I'm going to try this speed mod and see if it improves the experience.

http://www.nexusmods.com/witcher/mods/256/

If not then so long Witcher.

If you do stop playing it but are still interested in the sequel (and perhaps Wild Hunt), look up the ending cutscene for Witcher 1 on YouTube. It's basically the main connection to the second game if you don't care about losing character connections.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Did Steam just die for anyone else? The store frontpage loads, but both the old and new communities are down and I can't sign in now.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Rirse posted:

Did Steam just die for anyone else?

Yes.

Delusibeta
Aug 7, 2013

Let's ride together.

Rirse posted:

Did Steam just die for anyone else? The store frontpage loads, but both the old and new communities are down and I can't sign in now.

Yeah, it looks like Steam's community servers has croaked. :frogbon:

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch

Sober posted:

Is it something I can mute all the sound on and just play while listening to podcasts? This is important.

Definitely.

Quest For Glory II posted:

That's because it's a Good Game.

So here's a question, do you ever get to take multiple guns in to the tower or get alt-fires or anything? The whole one gun that does one thing in a playthrough gets a little old and the items you can use are almost all completely terrible from what I've found. I also kinda don't like how 95% of the secrets require you to have the multiple jump perk selected from the beginning.

e: also the end boss is a motherfucker

tripwood
Jul 21, 2003

"Cuno can see you're trying to shit him, but Cuno's unshittable, so fuck does Cuno care?"

Hint: He doesn't care.

Mr. Flunchy posted:

By the end I just cheated and made myself max level. The story is awesome but the game is just too hardcore just for the sake of being hardcore.

I do love the lore, character and dialogues though. You really do feel like an outsider in some shithole medieval world where everything wants to kill you.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Yodzilla posted:

So here's a question, do you ever get to take multiple guns in to the tower or get alt-fires or anything? The whole one gun that does one thing in a playthrough gets a little old and the items you can use are almost all completely terrible from what I've found. I also kinda don't like how 95% of the secrets require you to have the multiple jump perk selected from the beginning.
As far as I know, no, but you could probably shout out suggestions to the guy, he still works on the game and pushes out a content update every month. I've never bothered with the multi-jump perk because fall damage is a real fucker.

Weekend sale is Dead Island franchise and Ace Combat something or other free weekend

Bioshock Infinite is $7.49 on Gamefly if you thought $20 was too much to pay for it on Humble Bundle (it was)

The 7th Guest fucked around with this message at 18:18 on Jul 24, 2014

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Weekend sale is Dead Island franchise and Ace Combat something or other free weekend

Anyone who likes the old Ace Combat series should at least give Assault Horizon a try since its free. While it is most definitely Call of Duty in terms of narrative tone and characters (and the super-weapon is literally just a not-nuke) I think it retains enough of the old to be fun. After experiencing it in practice I don't think the Dog Fight Mode is as nearly as "RAIL SHOOTER MODE" as most people on the internet will proclaim it to be as you do in fact still need to speed up/down and pitch/yaw around so you aren't knocked out of of it (although there is still a fair amount of auto-guidance) and it is only really required on boss jets.

Just be aware that the first level will, in fact, confirm all fears the internet has about the DFM as your plane flies through buildings all on its own and control is taken away so you can watch explosions happen. It does get better after that... until you hit an overly long helicopter door gunner level but it gets better after that! ...until you hit an overly long Apache gunship levels but I do think the jet fighter/bomber levels really are just as good as anything the older Ace Combat's have.

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

Murder Miners -Coming soon
This picture sounds like trollbait, which in turn makes this post trollbait. I'm so sorry.
Anyone with hands on this thing?

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch
The perfect first person shooter would be like Popular Game that plays nothing like Popular Game. Also Minecraft.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
It's funny about all the hate Witcher 1 gets, however hyperbolic, but loving hell how awesome a game it was when it was released.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

First touch: Life.
Second touch: Dead again. Forever.
Gods Will Be Watching is super hard as gently caress and it's great.

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

All its quotes are making my eyes roll out of my head.

"This game is just so fantastic, and I have such high hopes for it.
I could see it becoming my main shooter for a very, very long period
of time. I'm 24 years old, and it hasn't been since my highschoo
days that I've found myself this passionate, inspired, and
flat out hyped the f*** up about any game whatsoever."
- Hello Mr Lion

It reads like a ED ad.

"Even in beta, this game is hands down more fun than any of the FPS I've played over the past 2 years." -SoloXIII

Aka this game is better then others like it in the last couple years.
More steam games need gamer quotes over their screenshots.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch

Drifter posted:

It's funny about all the hate Witcher 1 gets, however hyperbolic, but loving hell how awesome a game it was when it was released.

The Witcher games both own for good reasons but boy do they both have their share of problems. Also

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

tripwood posted:

By the end I just cheated and made myself max level. The story is awesome but the game is just too hardcore just for the sake of being hardcore.
You got a link for that? It's probably going to be the only way I'm going to get through it because there's no real easy difficulty like in Witcher 2.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Humble Weekly Bundle:

$1
Ethan Meteor Hunter
Finding Teddy
Mechanic Escape

$6
Legends of Persia
Kill the Bad Guy
Freaking Meatbags
Project Temporarity

$10
WRC 4 FIA World Rally Championship

I have no clue about any of these games

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
Mechanic Escape is a bad game. It's supposed to be a twitch platformer but it has really slippery and floaty controls.

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

I have destroyed more of your kind than I can count.

Kibayasu posted:

Just be aware that the first level will, in fact, confirm all fears the internet has about the DFM as your plane flies through buildings all on its own and control is taken away so you can watch explosions happen. It does get better after that... until you hit an overly long helicopter door gunner level but it gets better after that! ...until you hit an overly long Apache gunship levels but I do think the jet fighter/bomber levels really are just as good as anything the older Ace Combat's have.

Assault Horizon seems like a really cool game until you realize the final target on just about every map is functionally immortal until you engage DFM because you HAVE to end the mission with a cinematic close call explosionfest. It's a cool mechanic but the way they force it on you is very souring.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

Darkrenown posted:

You could try the Long War mod for XCOM:EW, it's functionally a bigger expansion pack than EW was. I really like it so far, and LW has basically taken over the XCOM thread here.

Could I have a link to the thread? For the life of me I can't find it with search.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Anyone else pick up Darkwood? Only a little bit in but it's pretty cool so far. It's definitely a game where you need to set your gamma a bit above what it recommends though unless you like eye strain.

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness

The Iron Rose posted:

Could I have a link to the thread? For the life of me I can't find it with search.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3529135

tripwood
Jul 21, 2003

"Cuno can see you're trying to shit him, but Cuno's unshittable, so fuck does Cuno care?"

Hint: He doesn't care.

Accordion Man posted:

You got a link for that? It's probably going to be the only way I'm going to get through it because there's no real easy difficulty like in Witcher 2.

Use the save editor. Give yourself some raven armor too because even when maxed out you can still get hosed easily. The last fights are just that difficult.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Humble Weekly Bundle:

Humble's weekly bundles are generally merely meh to begin with this but this one seems fairly bad. Ethan Meteor is polished enough but its just a standard pretty boring puzzle-platformer where you pause the game to move objects around so you can jump on them, woopee.

Xaris fucked around with this message at 19:40 on Jul 24, 2014

Darth Various
Oct 23, 2010

New Bundle Stars bundle:

Vector - looks like Canabalt but with more than one button?
Rush For Glory
Montas
Steel & Steam: Episode 1
Sugar Cube: Bittersweet Factory
Ionball 2: Ionstorm
Clockwork Tales: Of Glass & Ink - some adventure game, it won't say if it's point&click.
Growing Pains

Any opinions on any of these? Is it worth €3,19 for essentially the canabalt clone?

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Zombie Samurai posted:

Assault Horizon seems like a really cool game until you realize the final target on just about every map is functionally immortal until you engage DFM because you HAVE to end the mission with a cinematic close call explosionfest. It's a cool mechanic but the way they force it on you is very souring.

I think the only boss fight in Ace Combat I ever liked was in Ace Combat Zero where you wind up literally jousting the final enemy. Every other one was really just flying at a big target multiple times. While it is repetitive at times I just don't really think DFM wound up any worse than any of the other level quirks the older games threw at you. I will say that I think the only time the DFM really came into its own as an awesome mechanic was when you used it to make attacks on the enemy fleet. Its still pretty scripted and linear but the camera angles while explosions and bullet tracers fly past you is pretty awesome. Otherwise I just think it winds up being pretty inoffensive, and at least the very least a lot better than HAWX's "OFF" system.

Malek
Jun 22, 2003

Shut up Girl!
And as always: Kill Hitler.

Humble Weekly Bundle:

I haven't purchased a Humble Bundle in about a week and I normally buy these as impulse purchases... but lately.. "Games as Art" "Humble Cancer Bundle (Squenix)" and now this. Blegh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

I have destroyed more of your kind than I can count.

Kibayasu posted:

I think the only boss fight in Ace Combat I ever liked was in Ace Combat Zero where you wind up literally jousting the final enemy. Every other one was really just flying at a big target multiple times. While it is repetitive at times I just don't really think DFM wound up any worse than any of the other level quirks the older games threw at you. I will say that I think the only time the DFM really came into its own as an awesome mechanic was when you used it to make attacks on the enemy fleet. Its still pretty scripted and linear but the camera angles while explosions and bullet tracers fly past you is pretty awesome. Otherwise I just think it winds up being pretty inoffensive, and at least the very least a lot better than HAWX's "OFF" system.

I hated that you were forced to use it, and the only way you knew you had to use it was that all of your missiles would mysteriously miss this one particular target. At least with gimmick bosses in the previous games AWACS would tell you exactly what to do. In AH you just run into magically invincible planes.

• Locked thread