Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
1:21:15 where he hits the back of the van and goes flying over the van to the front, then gets run over :ohdear:.

And it seems the video has segments or chapters, to an extent. The beginning is a ton of target fixation, where you can tell where somebody is going to crash because they point their face (and helmet cam) at that exact point 2 or 3 seconds before they hit it. Near the middle-end is cars turning left in front of motorcycles, and towards the end it's motorcycles zipping through traffic like dongs and getting into accidents. Of course, the videos all have a kind of semi statistical random distribution, but there is a definite trend in periods.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

I'm wondering what they neglected to show at the beginning of the video since the guy is already brake-checking like mad when the video starts.

Brigdh
Nov 23, 2007

That's not an oil leak. That's the automatic oil change and chassis protection feature.

IOwnCalculus posted:

I'm wondering what they neglected to show at the beginning of the video since the guy is already brake-checking like mad when the video starts.

There is a link in the description that shows the dashcam-driver passing the brake-checker on the right when the brake-checker was in the middle lane. Still seems like there is a bit of a gap between that and this video.

I was kinda wondering why the dashcam driver didn't just pull over to the shoulder for a few minutes after the 2nd or 3rd brake check.

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta

Brigdh posted:

I was kinda wondering why the dashcam driver didn't just pull over to the shoulder for a few minutes after the 2nd or 3rd brake check.

Had this happen once, except it was a psycho nutjob lady who was actually trying to sideswipe me with her car multiple times. She had drifted in my lane and I honked to get her attention and that set her off. We were on a one-way street so I couldn't U-turn or anything so I just stopped. She stopped. I called 911. She got in a lot of trouble.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
What are the diamonds painted in the lane indicating?

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

InitialDave posted:

What are the diamonds painted in the lane indicating?

It's a HOV lane, for busses or carpoolers.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

revmoo posted:

Had this happen once, except it was a psycho nutjob lady who was actually trying to sideswipe me with her car multiple times. She had drifted in my lane and I honked to get her attention and that set her off. We were on a one-way street so I couldn't U-turn or anything so I just stopped. She stopped. I called 911. She got in a lot of trouble.

Did she get arrested? was she dumb enough to admit she tried swiping you?

buttcrackmenace
Nov 14, 2007

see its right there in the manual where it says
Grimey Drawer

Geirskogul posted:

1:21:15 where he hits the back of the van and goes flying over the van to the front, then gets run over :ohdear:.

2:39 and 2:51. Bikes versus lorries.

Yah you just watched three people die. Sleep well!

eriddy
Jan 21, 2005

sixty nine lmao
Is brake checking where you slam your brakes with the intention of having the guy following you smash into you? What is the purpose or benefit of it? Seems unwise

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Well, the intention is to panic them into hitting their brakes as you let off and get back on the gas, opening up a gap between you.

In practice, yeah, it's a bad idea and I don't do it anymore. At most, I'll just brush the brake pedal with my left foot, enough to turn the light on but not actually slow the car down.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

IOwnCalculus posted:

This

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HC-TYxYZHpE

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

So the dude passed on the right and was outpacing people in the left lane.

Yeah, not gonna defend either of them, they are both people you share the road with.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

ratbert90 posted:

So the dude passed on the right and was outpacing people in the left lane.

Yeah, not gonna defend either of them, they are both people you share the road with.

Haha yeah dude equally bad in my humble opinion

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

GENDERWEIRD GREEDO posted:

I never said they where equally bad, they are both bad enough that I don't want either of them on the road with me.

NoWake
Dec 28, 2008

College Slice
The driver is passing on the right, which might actually matter in a country where people have a clue about lane discipline. I count one, two lanes on the far right completely devoid of traffic while the four on the right move along at their own pace.

Driving long distance, 90% of the traffic I'll pass is by me simply remaining in the far right lane. So many people get on the interstate, steer to the middle lane under the pretense of avoiding all the slow traffic, and then just go to sleep tailgating one another.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

GENDERWEIRD GREEDO posted:

ehhhh, he was passing on the right, but that is literally the only way you're passing anyone around here because people will get on the highway, immediately merge all the way left, and then happily stumble along at 1mph under the limit for hours while ignoring everything around them. I see that happen probably a half dozen times a day on my commute.

And the response completely outstrips anything a reasonable person would do... whoever was in that gold car didn't check their mirror or blind spot before merging, then rages out because clearly this is the victim's fault. Dude didn't even honk or do anything in response, just avoided the collision and drove away. Unless he flipped the gold car off I guess? But even so, taking it from a minor infraction to repeated, aggressive attempts at causing an accident is in no way reasonable.

I mean, unless you consider that response reasonable. Not much I can say to that.

(I'm pretty sure you're just trying to stir up another angry debate, so I'm going to stick with what I just said and just walk away now. Have a nice day! :))

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

kastein posted:

(I'm pretty sure you're just trying to stir up another angry debate, so I'm going to stick with what I just said and just walk away now. Have a nice day! :))

No I'm not actually I'm just pointing out that passing people on the right is in no way comparable to what the other guy did and your post is completely sensible and correct. Please don't get real weird and hold a grudge over me making fun of zipper merging for a couple posts.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
haha, apparently my sarcasm detector is broken :downs:

Also, I'm pretty sure they both suck at zipper merging, seeing as cars are supposed to take turns not both occupy the same space like they tried to.

Black88GTA
Oct 8, 2009

nsaP posted:

Since you guys hate bikes so much I thought you'd like this:

(jk, these really are people you share the road with tho)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pxjtv6PCSVQ

This is the newest and longest one, there's probably another 3 hours or so if you look up No Prisoners 2012 and 2013 part 1 n 2.

Edit: Also people die and they don't really separate those ones from the others so avoid if that bothers you

26:49 :lol: I can't stop loving laughing

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
If I didn't pass people on the right in Southern California it would take so much loving longer to get places. If the freeway is over 3 lanes wide and youre not passing in a merge/slow lane, and have ample space, who gives a poo poo.

This is for the US.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Yep, in an urban area if you don't pass on the right you aren't going to be passing anyone. The left lane is habitually clogged by some ignoramus either going just slow enough to build a line of six cars behind them, or keeps perfect pace with someone else in the middle lane, creating a giant rolling roadblock.

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

god damn it, you've got to be kind

Stuck in stop-and-go traffic on the way home, some chick in the back of a Tahoe opens the moon roof and hauls her upper body out, then starts waving to other cars and doing a cheer routine.

I can't get the footage off my dashcam until tomorrow, I hope I actually caught it in frame.

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
It's perfectly legal to pass on the right in multi-lane highway in Kansas, I looked this up to fight an illegal passing ticket a cop wrote me for passing him on the right 20 over the speed limit because he was being a dick sitting at 65mph in the far left lane with a train of cars behind him. I don't take it up much past 10 over these days because $270+ tickets kind of hurt but with a little foresight it's pretty easy to look ahead and figure out which lane is moving the quickest at any given minute and adjust accordingly. I'll have impatient assholes blow by me at 80+ only to slam on the brakes and merge behind me as they reach the next elderly driver tooling along at 53mph on the interstate.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

rscott posted:

It's perfectly legal to pass on the right in multi-lane highway in Kansas

Is also legal in CA where this happened on a divided highway.

Killstick
Jan 17, 2010
So a 3 lane road, you're in the right most lane and an idiot is in the left most. You''re going the speed limit and the idiot slows down to 10 under, are you supposed to slow down too to not "pass" him or what? Like there's some invisible line in front of his car that you better not cross. I don't live in the states so i don't know but that sounds retarded.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

Killstick posted:

So a 3 lane road, you're in the right most lane and an idiot is in the left most. You''re going the speed limit and the idiot slows down to 10 under, are you supposed to slow down too to not "pass" him or what? Like there's some invisible line in front of his car that you better not cross. I don't live in the states so i don't know but that sounds retarded.
Forums poster ratbert90 thinks so, but literally every reasonable person does not. The law (in CA where this happened, at least) agrees with said reasonable people.

tuna
Jul 17, 2003

I try to stick to overtaking/going faster in the left lanes (my Jeep is certainly not the fastest on the road so I got no problem sticking to middle lane areas), but I have no problem overtaking on an inside lane (CA) if it happens.

The thing that pisses me off is when it comes to single lane highway sections through mountains. There are occasional 2-lane overtake zones so a normal vehicle can overtake trucks/haulers etc. instead of going 30-55 the entire way. These sections are usually straight sections for safe overtaking. The problem is these idiots in their topheavy minibuses or hauling lovely trailers suddenly realize they can go 75mph in a straight line! Great so now I run out of room overtaking several cars going fast in a straight line and have to sit behind them for another 10 miles doing 35mph around every single corner.

Disgruntled Bovine
Jul 5, 2010

tuna posted:

I try to stick to overtaking/going faster in the left lanes (my Jeep is certainly not the fastest on the road so I got no problem sticking to middle lane areas), but I have no problem overtaking on an inside lane (CA) if it happens.

The thing that pisses me off is when it comes to single lane highway sections through mountains. There are occasional 2-lane overtake zones so a normal vehicle can overtake trucks/haulers etc. instead of going 30-55 the entire way. These sections are usually straight sections for safe overtaking. The problem is these idiots in their topheavy minibuses or hauling lovely trailers suddenly realize they can go 75mph in a straight line! Great so now I run out of room overtaking several cars going fast in a straight line and have to sit behind them for another 10 miles doing 35mph around every single corner.

I was out for a drive on a local mountain road a while back and never before have I seen this demonstrated so well. The speed limit on this road is 50 most of the time, but it has yellow 30 mph warning limit signs for sharp curves constantly. I would have done 58 the whole way, having fun in the corners and while avoiding being pulled over (those warning limits are only a recommendation). Unfortunately everyone else on the road wanted to do 65-70 on the straights and 25 in the corners. On the plus side this particular road has slow vehicle lanes on most of the uphill sections, allowing me to get around some of these idiots.

The funniest part is on my way back I was following an emty flatbed semi, and he was taking the 30 mph corners at 50.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Krakkles posted:

Forums poster ratbert90 thinks so, but literally every reasonable person does not. The law (in CA where this happened, at least) agrees with said reasonable people.
I try to exclusively pass people on the right. :colbert:

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

InitialDave posted:

I try to exclusively pass people on the right. :colbert:

Yeah but some idiot put your steering wheel on the wrong side so it's only fair.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

rscott posted:

passing him on the right 20 over the speed limit because he was being a dick sitting at 65mph in the far left lane with a train of cars behind him

That's pretty ballsy, man. Were you not expecting him to pull your rear end over, or what?

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Disgruntled Bovine posted:

I was out for a drive on a local mountain road a while back and never before have I seen this demonstrated so well. The speed limit on this road is 50 most of the time, but it has yellow 30 mph warning limit signs for sharp curves constantly. I would have done 58 the whole way, having fun in the corners and while avoiding being pulled over (those warning limits are only a recommendation). Unfortunately everyone else on the road wanted to do 65-70 on the straights and 25 in the corners. On the plus side this particular road has slow vehicle lanes on most of the uphill sections, allowing me to get around some of these idiots.

The funniest part is on my way back I was following an emty flatbed semi, and he was taking the 30 mph corners at 50.

Highway 93 in AB/BC is exactly this. Mostly single lane, passing lanes on some of the uphills, and a few long straight sections with dotted yellow lines also for passing. One year I was out there on my bike and I came a couple feet from being pasted, when a pickup truck going the other way tried to pass the conga line of cars it was behind through the dotted yellow. Normally I ride on the left hand side of the lane, but if I hadn't been tootling along on the right side for no real reason, the fucker would have smeared me all over the road. I didn't even have to dodge him, he just... missed, so it took a couple minutes for my brain to catch up and tell me I almost died.

slurry_curry
Nov 26, 2003
<3mini-moni+animu^_^

Disgruntled Bovine posted:

I remember dealing with this with my brother in NZ years ago. We were driving a POS suzuki swift that we had bought for $300NZ and were driving all over the north island. We got stuck behind some camper van thing on the forgotten highway(barely 2 lane wide gravel road that wound through the mountains) with 100kph limit, which pretty much meant drive as fast as you can/want to. Well the camper was slowing to a crawl on the corners, but would floor it on the straight sections. Sadly the swift could just barely keep up with the van on the straights, so we were stuck behind him for what felt like hours, since he would not let us by, despite us wanting to take the corners at a reasonable speed. I think we finally just started pulling over to let him get ahead of us.

I am still amazed that that little car put up with all the abuse.

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

Why did you recommend me this video Youtube, why?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=upf4X789mt4

The parts where people are unable to maneuver their cars at all in small spaces are damning enough but at least they're understandable. The ones where people suddenly lose all control of their vehicle with catastrophic results are just plain scary.

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

You shared it with a dick.

tuna posted:

The other thing about that video is the rear end in a top hat in the camry was changing lanes without signaling in the first place. I almost wonder if they were not really intending to change lanes but were already raging and decided to play road police. Camry is in the wrong 100%.

tuna posted:

I posted about my last experience with this earlier in the thread, here:

LloydDobler posted:

I got super lucky last summer when about 30 of us got stuck behind a guy doing this for nearly an hour. He was doing 40 in a 55 and passed numerous slow vehicle turnouts, with traffic thick enough the other way that there was no opportunity to pass at all. People were loving pissed. When we finally got out of the hills to a passing lane, all of us took off like rabid dogs. I was 3rd in line, so I floored it and the passing traffic got up to about 90 mph. The second I was past the slow driver I got back over and let off the gas to let angrier drivers pass me, and it saved my rear end because there were three motorcycle troopers set up with a speed trap on that passing lane. So the 2 cars in front of me and the car behind me got pulled over, while I looked innocent over in the right lane. I drove away, and the entire line of remaining cars got stuck behind the same loving motorhome again due to the cops. I felt bad for those other speeders but was very glad to not have an out of state ticket in my dad's car.

Hikaki
Oct 11, 2005
Motherfucking Fujitsu Heavy Industries

RillAkBea posted:

Why did you recommend me this video Youtube, why?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=upf4X789mt4

The parts where people are unable to maneuver their cars at all in small spaces are damning enough but at least they're understandable. The ones where people suddenly lose all control of their vehicle with catastrophic results are just plain scary.

All I could think of while watching that:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KZXzjKb8nTw&t=47s

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

The Midniter posted:

That's pretty ballsy, man. Were you not expecting him to pull your rear end over, or what?
I've seen a state trooper going the speed limit on I-85 out of Atlanta, causing 6 lanes to go 65 for the first time in forever. A Jeep Wrangler passed the trooper and the trooper pulled him over right away.

Passing a cop is just asking for a ticket.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

CannonFodder posted:

Passing a cop is just asking for a ticket.

There's a town I drive through every so often where the police habitually putter around under the speed limit.

Most people freak out and jam on the brakes to avoid passing, but after I've triple checked my speedo to make sure I'm exactly at the speed limit I breeze by no problems. The first few times I was pretty nervous but got over it.

Unless that's their plan, to lure me into complacency before they strike. :tinfoil:

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

CannonFodder posted:

I've seen a state trooper going the speed limit on I-85 out of Atlanta, causing 6 lanes to go 65 for the first time in forever. A Jeep Wrangler passed the trooper and the trooper pulled him over right away.

Passing a cop is just asking for a ticket if you have to go substantially over the limit.

Fixed. Most cops won't give any fucks if they aren't on traffic detail, and even if they are unless you have to exceed the speed limit substantially they probably won't give you more than a cursory glance. Several years ago I passed an Ohio state trooper while doing 9 over the limit (they typically won't pull you over until you're doing 10+ over), and despite the agency's reputation for not giving warnings to save their own lives he gave me a verbal warning for speeding.

Also a friend of mine is former law enforcement and says that most cops hate how people won't pass them, even when they're going under the limit, and some even play games to the effect of "how slow can I go before people will pass me." YMMV but as long as you're not being stupid about it you should be able to pass a cop without getting pulled over or ticketed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fattig
Oct 10, 2012

RillAkBea posted:

The ones where people suddenly lose all control of their vehicle with catastrophic results are just plain scary.

Them drat street racers should take it to the track if they want to follow the words of Colin McRae.
"When in doubt, flat out."