Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TheRagamuffin
Aug 31, 2008

In Paradox Space, when you cross the line, your nuts are mine.
I don't think I've ever beat Chastity on my first try in any playthrough. I'm not sure if it's because I don't build toward combat until later in the game, or if I just always forget how fast and hard-hitting she is, but it always takes 2-3 tries for me to take her out.

e: Ahahahahaha I've never seen that stripper dance part before. Is that a Wesp addition? *Sway sway sway* DANCE OVER GO HOME.

TheRagamuffin fucked around with this message at 03:41 on Jul 24, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tehan
Jan 19, 2011
If you jump into bed (metaphorical or otherwise) with a Toreador then this sort of overwrought nonsense is the price of admission, just like dealing with Jeanette and Therese meant putting up with a double dose of lunacy and getting the info we needed from Bertram meant having to look at his ugly face. Even Isaac, Baron of Hollywood and arguably the most functional Toreador in LA, dabbles in melodrama.

VV is what she is, and though she filters everything into the framework of bad romance novels she is being a good citizen of the Anarch Free State. Whereas in Camarilla society David Hatter and the threat to the Masquerade he represents would be the Prince's responsibility, Anarchs are expected to all pull together for the common good, and paying in blood (or dances) for some wandering mercenary to do the job gets the job done as well as any other method.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

The way I figure it, Promethean is the best setting to simulate the old "wandering hero fixes small town problems" action genre that showed up in the 1970's and 80's. Something like The Incredible Hulk or Kung Fu, for instance. Hell, even in those shows more time was spent on character development and introspection than on kicking rear end, so it fits with Promethean's intended themes, too.

theDOWmustflow
Mar 24, 2009

lmao pwnd gg~
Do oWoD mummies appear like stereotypical mummies, wrapped in bandages and all that?

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Bobbin Threadbare posted:

The way I figure it, Promethean is the best setting to simulate the old "wandering hero fixes small town problems" action genre that showed up in the 1970's and 80's. Something like The Incredible Hulk or Kung Fu, for instance. Hell, even in those shows more time was spent on character development and introspection than on kicking rear end, so it fits with Promethean's intended themes, too.

When I was running a Hunter game, the PCs had a few encounters with a Promethean working for Task Force: Valkyrie. She was a Tammuz on the Refinement of Bronze seeking to understand the human need for soldiers and warfare while protecting them from supernaturals ill-prepared to face something that laughs at anything less than anti-tank weapons. The Valkyrie bureaucracy understood how her Disquiet and Wasteland worked, and kept her constantly on the move and rotating the people she worked with.

Pickled Tink
Apr 28, 2012

Have you heard about First Dog? It's a very good comic I just love.

Also, wear your bike helmets kids. I copped several blows to the head but my helmet left me totally unscathed.

Finally you should check out First Dog as it's a good comic I like it very much.
Fun Shoe
You got lucky there with your murdering of her, picking the moment when the Chunk lookalike was out of the booth to pull it. To get rid of him you have to rob the cash machine (Which he was returning from) to make him leave since he can't get the small change needed to operate the peepshow.

gatz
Oct 19, 2012

Love 'em and leave 'em
Groom 'em and feed 'em
Cid Shinjuku

Pickled Tink posted:

You got lucky there with your murdering of her, picking the moment when the Chunk lookalike was out of the booth to pull it. To get rid of him you have to rob the cash machine (Which he was returning from) to make him leave since he can't get the small change needed to operate the peepshow.

Did not know that. Honestly, I think he came back during the fight. You can hear some guy panicking the in background if you watch the video.

By the way, everyone, please go ahead and keep discussing White Wolf lore. I don't mean to derail the discussion with an update (that sounds weird posting in my own thread, but still, you know what I mean).

TheRagamuffin
Aug 31, 2008

In Paradox Space, when you cross the line, your nuts are mine.

gatz posted:

By the way, everyone, please go ahead and keep discussing White Wolf lore. I don't mean to derail the discussion with an update (that sounds weird posting in my own thread, but still, you know what I mean).

This whole thread has been amazing, and there's no way the archived version will ever do the original justice.

Vicissitude
Jan 26, 2004

You ever do the chicken dance at a wake? That really bothers people.

theDOWmustflow posted:

Do oWoD mummies appear like stereotypical mummies, wrapped in bandages and all that?

No, they appear like any other member of the human race. HOWEVER! When they first feel the call, they make a pilgrimage back to the "holy lands" of ancient Egypt. Once they find the Osirus cults, they are inducted into the ways of the Amenti and part of the ceremony includes ritualistic "mummification". They are wrapped in bandages and treated with natron and whatnot, but not actually mummified because they are, in fact, technically alive.

Tehan
Jan 19, 2011

Vicissitude posted:

HOWEVER! When they first feel the call, they make a pilgrimage back to the "holy lands" of ancient Egypt. Once they find the Osirus cults, they are inducted into the ways of the Amenti and part of the ceremony includes ritualistic "mummification". They are wrapped in bandages and treated with natron and whatnot, but not actually mummified because they are, in fact, technically alive.

On top of that, when they do die (and, if nothing else, they'll die of natural causes at an age their come-back-to-life skill can inflate into the low triple digits) they're going to be returning to their body at some point, so it's definitely a good idea for them to tuck it away. There's a background stat for tombs, both to protect the corpse and filled with knick-knacks that can help the mummy in their afterlife adventures. They range from paid-up warehouses to the traditional isolated desert tombs, and the traditionalists tend to go for having their corpse ritually preserved with bandages and whatnot. There's also a stat for a Mummy's Curse that can be pumped by a very basic necromantic ritual that involves drinking a bunch of preservational unguents that was traditionally used in mummification.

Additionally, coming back to life involves healing all the damage that killed them, and most of the healing items mummies can make are, of course, supernatural bandages. So you do get corpses wrapped in bandages lurching their way out of sarcophagi, they just tend to quickly regenerate and before long they can change into shorts and a T-shirt or something.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

fspades posted:

Well, let's be fair to other lines here. While the books contain lethal amounts of angst, in practice most WoD games devolve into punching Cthulhu in the dick at some point. Dramatic "woe is me, I've become a monster" acts are hard to keep for even the most hardcore players. Sure, they love to talk about them like how WH40k fans can't stop talking about how crazy and evil the Imperium is, but that doesn't always translate to actual gameplay.

Right the difference is that in other lines when you're punching a monster in the dick what is taking place is assholes loving up other assholes. Sometimes it's refreshing to leave the morally grey behind and the fact that it's MUMMIES who do that is hilarious.

Or is it Sputnik
Aug 22, 2009

Oh, Ho-oh oh oh, oh whoa oh oh oh
I'll get 'em caught, show Oak what I've got

Pickled Tink posted:

Indeed, there's a couple bucks ($120-ish) in there too.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

I couldn't figure out how to get rid of either the fat guy or the other dancer in that area, so I just killed her in front of them. There are surprisingly few consequences for doing so.

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.

gatz posted:

He's writing a movie about the Bush administration?

This made me giggle far more than it should. Great update, seems you had fun with it. It appears I have forgotten too much about this part of the game, are we near the horrible sewers part yet?

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------
Despair will never let you down.
Malice will never disappoint you.

Tiggum posted:

I couldn't figure out how to get rid of either the fat guy or the other dancer in that area, so I just killed her in front of them. There are surprisingly few consequences for doing so.

What are the consequences to loving up anyway? I ballsed up by using a firearm (Melee 1 ahoy) and VV bitched me out because she could hear me all the way across the street, which hadn't occurred to me at all, but it seems that because I used Seduction on her, I had enough brownie points to still get what I presume is the best outcome.

Angry Lobster posted:

It appears I have forgotten too much about this part of the game, are we near the horrible sewers part yet?

Getting there and pretty close. We're basically putting it off by doing sidequests before progressing with the story.

GrimRevenant
Mar 28, 2011

Je Reviendrai.
If you have good enough stealth (possibly Obfuscate?), you can use it to get the drop on Chastity and just feed on her til she drops, making this possibly the easiest “boss fight” in the game. Her combat skills are good enough this feeding on her is not a valid tactic for most people if they alert her.

It’s been long enough I’m not entirely sure, but I think you can also just use a disabling power to get the drop on her – as she’s human, she's easy prey for all sorts of stuff that wouldn't work on supernaturals, and assuming you isolate her as suggested, there's nobody to break your bite once you get stuck in. :drac:

UrbicaMortis
Feb 16, 2012

Hmm, how shall I post today?

Angry Lobster posted:

This made me giggle far more than it should. Great update, seems you had fun with it. It appears I have forgotten too much about this part of the game, are we near the horrible sewers part yet?

That's a line from the game, not one gatz added.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

Angry Lobster posted:

I like all of the options there:

quote:

1. He's writing a movie about the Bush administration?
2. They're making another Share Bears movie?
3. A movie about the game industry? He stole my idea!
4. Oh ... he's writing about Kindred.

The Malkavian options are somewhat more limited, sadly:

quote:

1. He's in my head!
2. All too.... A story I learned only recently. Kindred.

Incidentally, if it hasn't been mentioned yet, Malkavian characters will know VV's true name, Susan. She ... doesn't like it when you mention that.

double nine fucked around with this message at 13:30 on Jul 24, 2014

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Captain Oblivious posted:

Right the difference is that in other lines when you're punching a monster in the dick what is taking place is assholes loving up other assholes. Sometimes it's refreshing to leave the morally grey behind and the fact that it's MUMMIES who do that is hilarious.

Promethean does leave behind the moral grey occasionally, for what it's worth. As much as a Prometheans' main adversary is a universe that personally hates them and rebels against their existence, Prometheans also occasionally have to content with things called Pandorans.

Now, a necessary part of every Promethean's Pilgrimage is creating progeny: Prometheans *must* create a new Promethean if they are to become human. Depending on the Promethean's stats and how close they are to humanity, this may or may not go well. If it doesn't, they create a Pandoran instead of a Promethean.

If Prometheans are Frankenstein's Monster desperately trying to become human, Pandorans are horrible zombie mutants created from failed attempts to resurrect the dead and create life. They're animated by Flux, the chaotic and destructive form of the Divine Fire, and feed on the Pyros that animates Prometheans. Without a nearby source of Pyros, most Pandorans go dormant and look like part of the landscape - a gnarled tree, an old statue, an oddly shaped rock. And merely feeding on Prometheans is quite frankly the least scary thing Pandorans can do - they Centimani, and Centimani Transmutations are the kind of thing that gives tentacles.

Pandorans usually aren't a danger to anyone but Prometheans, fortunately. The Cheiron Group of Hunters likes to kill them and turn them into implanted wrist cannons that shoot semi-intelligent explosive metal bees, but most Pandorans have only an animal level of intelligence. They animate in the presence of Pyros and go after the Promethean whose presence animated them, and that's it for the most part.

Although... there are exceptions. Sublimati have human levels of intelligence, though there is absolutely nothing sympathetic about them. In the books, the closest one to sympathetic is an expy for L. Ron Hubbard, who founded its cult to bring it Prometheans to feed upon.

Fantastic Alice
Jan 23, 2012

gatz posted:

Will do bossman.

So I found a site listing canon characters in Promethean. Not much info, just what splat they are and a short blurb.

Hendaid Bran
Osiris
Aurum
This unique Promethean, also known as Great-Grandfather Crow, is indeed not human but avian. He's ancient, and the Azoth within drives him to become human. He fears, however, that that may be an impossible desire, and so he despairs.

Anyone got more info on the weird bird turned Promethean? Appeared in some book called Magnum Opus.

Cythereal posted:

The Cheiron Group of Hunters likes to kill them and turn them into implanted wrist cannons that shoot semi-intelligent explosive metal bees, but most Pandorans have only an animal level of intelligence.

Or The Cheiron Group. That seems like another interesting thing to look into.

Fantastic Alice fucked around with this message at 16:49 on Jul 24, 2014

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

xanthan posted:

Or The Cheiron Group. That seems like another interesting thing to look into.

The Cheiron Group are a Hunter Conspiracy, a biomedical megacorp that hunts and kills supernaturals for the juicy bits inside. Among other things, they're pretty close to synthesizing a cure for cancer derived from glands and chemicals found in werewolves and can do all sorts of interesting things with vampire blood.

Some of those juicy bits, though? Those, the Cheiron Group sticks right back inside its field agents. Examples include eye grafts harvested from demons that can stare into the souls of people, and worms from places beyond that can be implanted to make the symbiont's host resistant to magic.

Oh, and they're secretly run by eldritch *things* from elsewhere with unknown motivations.

quote:

Anyone got more info on the weird bird turned Promethean? Appeared in some book called Magnum Opus.

Basically, he's a crow that was turned into a Promethean. The Pilgrimage is about becoming human, but Great-Grandfather Crow doesn't want to *be* human - he wants to be a crow. Not much more to him than that. He's one of several points in Promethean that go "Fyi don't take everything from these books as written in stone - Promethean is about deeply personal journeys and no one in setting really knows much about anything at all that goes on with the Prometheans and stuff connected to them, so feel free to go in other directions as appropriate for your game."

Tyrone Biggums
Mar 5, 2013
VV freaks out at you if you use guns to kill Chastity. I don't remember the exact wording, but the gist of it is that you were way too loud. Neat little addition I found out about on my Firearms Toreador run!

UrbicaMortis
Feb 16, 2012

Here's the description for the pandora swarm weapon Cythereal mentioned:

The Cheiron Group's scientists still aren't entirely sure how to explain the function of this implant, and the very nature of where it comes from remains top secret. Rumor has it that a team in Bucharest (or maybe Prague, or Vienna, or somewhere else) found some weird little monster that turned into an ugly little metal statue as soon as they caught it. They say the boys in the back room figured out what made it fall inert, and how to revive it. Then they melted it down into little ball bearings, coated the pieces with hypoallergenic aluminum, and jabbed them into hunters' arms. The tiny metal spheres are embedded in the subcutaneous tissue of the forearm. A small valve, similar to the one some dialysis patients use, is implanted near the base of the palm. After the hunter comes out of recovery, he's given a small, black satchel that contains five syringes of an extremely diluted solution of a substance rumored to be wrung from the organs of unnaturally animated corpses. Whatever that substance is, those little ball bearings feed on it. For lack of a better word, they hatch. When the hunter opens that valve in his wrist, a swarm of tiny, angry insects come boiling out and attack whatever the hunter's mad at. The bugs look like little yellow jackets -- except for the fact that each one has the exact same human face.

apostateCourier
Oct 9, 2012

UrbicaMortis posted:

Here's the description for the pandora swarm weapon Cythereal mentioned:

The Cheiron Group's scientists still aren't entirely sure how to explain the function of this implant, and the very nature of where it comes from remains top secret. Rumor has it that a team in Bucharest (or maybe Prague, or Vienna, or somewhere else) found some weird little monster that turned into an ugly little metal statue as soon as they caught it. They say the boys in the back room figured out what made it fall inert, and how to revive it. Then they melted it down into little ball bearings, coated the pieces with hypoallergenic aluminum, and jabbed them into hunters' arms. The tiny metal spheres are embedded in the subcutaneous tissue of the forearm. A small valve, similar to the one some dialysis patients use, is implanted near the base of the palm. After the hunter comes out of recovery, he's given a small, black satchel that contains five syringes of an extremely diluted solution of a substance rumored to be wrung from the organs of unnaturally animated corpses. Whatever that substance is, those little ball bearings feed on it. For lack of a better word, they hatch. When the hunter opens that valve in his wrist, a swarm of tiny, angry insects come boiling out and attack whatever the hunter's mad at. The bugs look like little yellow jackets -- except for the fact that each one has the exact same human face.

In other words, Bioshock style bees. They go after whoever you're most angry at, so they can be dangerous to use if you and a cellmate have had a fight recently.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Remind me, have you had the chance to comprehensively diss other contacts you worked for, or is this just something for VV?

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

You can be a complete uncooperative poo poo to Lacroix, hostile to Isaac, etc. Basically you can be arrogant whiny new vampire who makes no friends (a bad idea).

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

GuyUpNorth posted:

And even better, France allegedly sold it in a porn bag because of that vagina.

I dunno about France, but I can confirm that Atlanta comic book stores sold Clanbook: Tzimisce in a porn bag back in the day.

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

What God wants, God gets, God help us all
I would just like to say that Monte Cook's World of Darkness is the best World of Darkness. It's like Rifts, but with WoD. A mage, a werewolf, a changeling, a vampire and a very talented mortal team up and fight monsters spilling forth from dimensional rifts. What's not to love?

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition

ulmont posted:

I dunno about France, but I can confirm that Atlanta comic book stores sold Clanbook: Tzimisce in a porn bag back in the day.

Now that you mention it, I do recall a couple of game stores in Missouri and Nebraska putting it in a sleeve of some kind.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

I think the only reasons stores don't have it in porn bags was because they didn't realize it was vagina mouth

DeusExMachinima
Sep 2, 2012

:siren:This poster loves police brutality, but only when its against minorities!:siren:

Put this loser on ignore immediately!

GrimRevenant posted:

If you have good enough stealth (possibly Obfuscate?), you can use it to get the drop on Chastity and just feed on her til she drops, making this possibly the easiest “boss fight” in the game. Her combat skills are good enough this feeding on her is not a valid tactic for most people if they alert her.

Is it possible to level grapple or whatever unarmed is called to the point you can just grab alerted enemies during combat to drain them? I almost never could even when I dumped points into it. It was a hell of a stealth takedown though.

Grimpond
Dec 24, 2013

DeusExMachinima posted:

Is it possible to level grapple or whatever unarmed is called to the point you can just grab alerted enemies during combat to drain them? I almost never could even when I dumped points into it. It was a hell of a stealth takedown though.

IIRC increasing your unarmed increases the difficulty for enemies to resist feeding. I forget if that means leveling the brawl skill or not

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Grimpond posted:

IIRC increasing your unarmed increases the difficulty for enemies to resist feeding. I forget if that means leveling the brawl skill or not

All the combat skills are derived from the combination of one of the physical stats and skill level. Unarmed is a combination of Strength and Brawl, so a regular melee character will probably be pretty good at it, since it's pretty easy to get a free pip or two in Brawl and you'd have Strength maxed anyway, for your whack guy with stick skill.

e: And if you're going for firearms, you're probably not in range to make a grab anyway :v:

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

Grimpond posted:

My Gangrel character (brawl + protean) used feeding in combat pretty extensively. Worked great on anything feedable.

Grimpond
Dec 24, 2013

ulmont posted:

My Gangrel character (brawl + protean) used feeding in combat pretty extensively. Worked great on anything feedable.

I'm doing a tremere run at the moment, and even though I'm garbage at it, there's just something about trance + feed that is incredibly satisfying in combat

UrbicaMortis
Feb 16, 2012

My last run through as a Toreador abusing celerity and guns had me gunning everyone down in slo-mo and then desperately pawing at the last survivor until I eventually succeeded on the check and fed on him. It took away some of the badass matrix vibe but it was either that or not have enough blood to constantly be slowing down time.

UrbicaMortis fucked around with this message at 00:37 on Jul 27, 2014

nweismuller
Oct 11, 2012

They say that he who dies with the most Opil wins.

I am winning.
An excellent way to get to feed on a firearms focus character is to pop Blood Buff just before you feed. Increasing your Strength to 5 makes feeding attempts much more successful, and you get the blood back anyhow from chowing down on whoever the unfortunate target is.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

ulmont posted:

As Gangrel, by the time you get the highest level of Protean you can basically just turn combat against any number of humans into a buffet. You don't even need to worry about the rest of them shooting at you or whatever, just ignore it.

Stroth
Mar 31, 2007

All Problems Solved

Tiggum posted:

As Gangrel, by the time you get the highest level of Protean you can basically just turn combat against any number of humans into a buffet. You don't even need to worry about the rest of them shooting at you or whatever, just ignore it.

Maxing out any of protean, celerity or obfuscate will break the game over your knee. I prefer obfuscate personally, just because I find it hilarious to watch them freak out while I stealth kill everybody one by one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DeusExMachinima
Sep 2, 2012

:siren:This poster loves police brutality, but only when its against minorities!:siren:

Put this loser on ignore immediately!

ulmont posted:

Oh, well this was probably my problem too. Never played a melee focused character. :downs:

Vent/Malk/Noss are way more interesting anyway.

• Locked thread