Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players

IuniusBrutus posted:

Does it have a digitizer? Or does it just come with a pointless capacitive stylus?
Probably an improved version of this.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wtZz4PjcAUk
It's still capacitive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Still going to wait for the next Google Nexus tablet.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

fondue posted:

How was Ouya a scam?

It doesn't work? Tons of people who ordered in the Kickstarter still haven't gotten their units years later? Most of the units are defective?

plester1
Jul 9, 2004

Nintendo Kid posted:

It doesn't work? Tons of people who ordered in the Kickstarter still haven't gotten their units years later? Most of the units are defective?

That just sounds like garden variety incompetence, not necessarily a scam.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Six of one, half a dozen of the other when it comes to Kickstarters.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
You forgot the kickstarters where nerds thought they were actually investing in something. See: Oculus Rift.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Let me just give you the equivalent of a loan, but with zero interest on it and no recourse if you just randomly disappear and the project is gone.

Kameh
Apr 27, 2004

Resident Sergio Apologist
CHAMPION
My friend's got a POGO cable (not dock) for his Nexus 10, and he was blown away that I didn't have one for my Nexus 7 2012. I don't think I even noticed the 4 pins on my Nexus, but now that he's pointed it out (along with the magnetic connection feature), I wouldn't mind getting one.

It seems, however, that there are a few docks with the POGO features for the 2012 model, but there are no stand alone cables, and POGO was removed from the Nexus 7 2013. Is this a feature that's not being pursued anymore? What's the deal?

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

The Nexus 10 has magnets to hold a pogo cable in place, the Nexus 7 does not. Wireless charging is replacing pogo charging.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

plester1 posted:

That just sounds like garden variety incompetence, not necessarily a scam.

It's not incompetence that they did several additional production runs and still haven't given Ouyas to everyone who got the "receive an ouya" tier on the kickstarter.

Spermanent Record
Mar 28, 2007
I interviewed a NK escapee who came to my school and made a thread. Then life got in the way and the translation had to be postponed. I did finish it in the end, but nobody is going to pay 10 bux to update my.avatar
Actually reading up on the Samsung line of tablets, it seems they're just dumping all their old, unwanted cpus into their 'premium' tablets.

The Note 10.1, Note pro 12.2 and even the just released Tab S 10.1 all have the same Exynos 5420 1.9ghz processor that's barely better than my Galaxy 4, worse than the Galaxy S5 (which uses the same chip, just overclocked) and SIGNIFICANTLY worse than the Galaxy S5 refresh, which is using the Snapdragon 805.

They're basically releasing 2013 tech, mid 2014. It's not bad but if you're paying Samsung's prices I think you'd want better than plastic cases and old cpus.

Spermanent Record fucked around with this message at 06:12 on Jul 23, 2014

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

bull3964 posted:

I find it hard to get excited for Nvidia's version of game stream when Steam's beta version already works really well and works on a wider range of PC hardware. Eventually, Steam's android app will more than likely be updated to include streaming.

Nvidia Gamestream was in beta before you could even use Steam streaming. It works quite well, I played through all of FFXIV's story and South Park: The Stick of Truth on my Shield.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Pyroxene Stigma posted:

Nvidia Gamestream was in beta before you could even use Steam streaming. It works quite well, I played through all of FFXIV's story and South Park: The Stick of Truth on my Shield.

I know, but it still doesn't change the fact that the Steam streaming works nearly as well now and has fewer hardware requirements.

BarkingSquirrel
Sep 12, 2008

by Smythe
Okay I got a problem and no idea how to deal with it. I gave my mom my 2012 Nexus 7 after I got my Nexus 10 when it came out. In the last 3 weeks I've had to hard/factory reset it twice because it develops a problem where it boots up, gets to the screen with the swirling colors, blanks black and starts it all over never getting past the swirling colors. She was told not to install anything that doesn't come from the Play Store to avoid malware and swears she hasn't.

But then it gets worse. When it happened again today when I try to do a hard/factory reset, it freezes when it tries to wipe the drive. I saw reports that sometimes it can take up to 30 minutes but its been nearly 3 hours and still nothing.

I don't have a computer(only my Nexus 10) and I can't afford to send it to Google/Samsung to have them fix it. I don't know what to do.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer
You could try reflashing the factory image but it sounds like a hardware fault.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

BarkingSquirrel posted:

Okay I got a problem and no idea how to deal with it. I gave my mom my 2012 Nexus 7 after I got my Nexus 10 when it came out. In the last 3 weeks I've had to hard/factory reset it twice because it develops a problem where it boots up, gets to the screen with the swirling colors, blanks black and starts it all over never getting past the swirling colors. She was told not to install anything that doesn't come from the Play Store to avoid malware and swears she hasn't.

But then it gets worse. When it happened again today when I try to do a hard/factory reset, it freezes when it tries to wipe the drive. I saw reports that sometimes it can take up to 30 minutes but its been nearly 3 hours and still nothing.

I don't have a computer(only my Nexus 10) and I can't afford to send it to Google/Samsung to have them fix it. I don't know what to do.
It sounds like failing internal storage but whatever you do, don't send it to Samsung to have them fix it. Asus made it so send it to them.

BarkingSquirrel
Sep 12, 2008

by Smythe
Yeah I got Asus mixed up with Samsung because Samsung is my N10. Its a moot question now anyways as shortly after I posted that I had it charging and it decided to power itself off and won't come back on anymore. She's admitted to me that she's let the battery completely die despite me telling her not to, there chips in the frame and she's got the charging port so wallowed out that the cable doesn't lock in anymore. She's very obviously treated it like poo poo.

THEN tonight she comes over for dinner and whines because she can't get the N4 I gave her(after I got my N5) to work. She shows it to me and the screen is smashed to poo poo. Gee I loving wonder why it won't work. She said she dropped it in a parking lot and like a spoiled brat follows it up with "I guess I'll keep the next one in my purse". She got very angry when I told her there wouldn't be another of either from me. If I feel like pissing away $200-350 again I'll just throw it in the toilet and flush.

military cervix
Dec 24, 2006

Hey guys
I've got a weird small problem with my 2013 Nexus 7. In the notifications bar it says "system update available - touch to download", but actually touching it has no effect, and it's impossible to remove. Otherwise the tablet works fine, so it's really a trivial issue, but is there a way to fix it? I'm running 4.4.2.

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

What happens in the course of duty is up to you...
The Nexus 7 2013 is on 4.4.3 for cellular and 4.4.4 for WiFi, so you are a version or two behind. Try manually checking for a system update to see if it'll let you download, or failing that flash a factory image?

military cervix
Dec 24, 2006

Hey guys

DemonMage posted:

The Nexus 7 2013 is on 4.4.3 for cellular and 4.4.4 for WiFi, so you are a version or two behind. Try manually checking for a system update to see if it'll let you download, or failing that flash a factory image?

Thanks, I figured it out now. Had to do with administrator privileges lacking on my login since I'm technically borrowing the device from my university. Switching to the open account fixed the issue.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down
I am looking to get this mount https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x0tSDMtPN9E for my Nexus 7 in my car. Do you guys think that the Wireless charging plate can be adhered to the back of it and work through the material of the dock? Otherwise I'm going to go with this one https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gxsjE8w_JCI

Thanks!

JoeMB
Aug 13, 2011
I think your wireless charging plate would be too far from the Nexus 7. Even if it did connect I imagine it wouldn't charge quick enough if you were using maps and GPS.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

JoeMB posted:

I think your wireless charging plate would be too far from the Nexus 7. Even if it did connect I imagine it wouldn't charge quick enough if you were using maps and GPS.

I was reading that there are magnets that attach the tablet to the base. Could I clip it on the back with the second one?

JoeMB
Aug 13, 2011

TraderStav posted:

I was reading that there are magnets that attach the tablet to the base. Could I clip it on the back with the second one?

If you could fit both the charging plate and the tablet into that space then it should work.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

TraderStav posted:

If you remind me later I can take pictures/measurements of the charger held to the tablet by the magnets.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

JoeMB posted:

If you could fit both the charging plate and the tablet into that space then it should work.

It looks like with the spider-mount that the majority of the bottom back is left exposed. Is there a certain part of the back that the charger needs to attach to? Top/bottom/center?

Doctor rear end in a top hat posted:

If you remind me later I can take pictures/measurements of the charger held to the tablet by the magnets.

That'd be fantastic!

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

TraderStav posted:

It looks like with the spider-mount that the majority of the bottom back is left exposed. Is there a certain part of the back that the charger needs to attach to? Top/bottom/center?
It's directly in the center.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

TraderStav posted:

Yeah, it goes directly in the centre of the back. It looks like you could potentially attach the mount further down the tablet and have the charger sat above that circular part but I can't say for sure if that would work.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

Hrmm, the official google one is 1/2" thick according to the website. It's possible that it could go in between the mount and the tablet. Think the only way to find out is to pick them up. Appreciate the help!

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

TraderStav posted:

Hrmm, the official google one is 1/2" thick according to the website. It's possible that it could go in between the mount and the tablet. Think the only way to find out is to pick them up. Appreciate the help!

That being said, I do not own a wireless charger at the moment. Are there any slim ones that are worth a poo poo?

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

BarkingSquirrel posted:

Yeah I got Asus mixed up with Samsung because Samsung is my N10. Its a moot question now anyways as shortly after I posted that I had it charging and it decided to power itself off and won't come back on anymore. She's admitted to me that she's let the battery completely die despite me telling her not to, there chips in the frame and she's got the charging port so wallowed out that the cable doesn't lock in anymore. She's very obviously treated it like poo poo.

THEN tonight she comes over for dinner and whines because she can't get the N4 I gave her(after I got my N5) to work. She shows it to me and the screen is smashed to poo poo. Gee I loving wonder why it won't work. She said she dropped it in a parking lot and like a spoiled brat follows it up with "I guess I'll keep the next one in my purse". She got very angry when I told her there wouldn't be another of either from me. If I feel like pissing away $200-350 again I'll just throw it in the toilet and flush.

What a great son.

u fink u hard Percy
Sep 14, 2007

I said come in! posted:

Let me just give you the equivalent of a loan, but with zero interest on it and no recourse if you just randomly disappear and the project is gone.

Modern capitalism :allears:

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

THC posted:

What a great son.

I consider myself an ok son but if my mom treated something I gave her like that I'd also refuse to buy another? Like how is that strange.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Pyroxene Stigma posted:

I consider myself an ok son but if my mom treated something I gave her like that I'd also refuse to buy another? Like how is that strange.

Agreed. Hundreds of dollars (or euros) wasted because she treated that stuff like poo poo, not clueless handling (like loving up the OS or installing some poo poo app). My dad installed a launcher on the phone I gifted him and helped him to get rid of the app and explained what shouldn't touch on the settings just in case.

Slimchandi
May 13, 2005
That finger on your temple is the barrel of my raygun
I am looking for a large screen tablet for sheet music, and a good offer on a TabPro 12.2 has come up. Is there anything I should know about the Samsung line? I have a Nexus 4 which I'm still really happy with, and I won't be doing anything too power hungry with the tablet.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

BarkingSquirrel posted:

Yeah I got Asus mixed up with Samsung because Samsung is my N10. Its a moot question now anyways as shortly after I posted that I had it charging and it decided to power itself off and won't come back on anymore.

A friend of mine had this problem. Turns out, the ribbon connecting the battery to the motherboard likes to come lose in the 2017 N7. He had to open the back and plug the battery in again.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

ThermoPhysical posted:

A friend of mine had this problem. Turns out, the ribbon connecting the battery to the motherboard likes to come lose in the 2017 N7. He had to open the back and plug the battery in again.

I'll keep that in mind in a few years.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

Does your Nexus have a 4k screen?

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Pyroxene Stigma posted:

Does your Nexus have a 4k screen?

Pff, 4K? That was acceptable in 2016, maybe

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

u fink u hard Percy
Sep 14, 2007

Slimchandi posted:

I am looking for a large screen tablet for sheet music, and a good offer on a TabPro 12.2 has come up. Is there anything I should know about the Samsung line? I have a Nexus 4 which I'm still really happy with, and I won't be doing anything too power hungry with the tablet.

Yeah its old now get a Tab S instead.