Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.
Sometimes, it's like you guys have never heard of rhetorical devices before.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost

Xenoletum posted:

IE11 uses a user agent string to request the same version of the page that is delivered to Chrome/Firefox. If your webmail page doesn't support Chrome or Firefox, which is understandable, considering internal business pages are hell, then maybe it may be time to upgrade.

P.S. Blowing off people who use Win8 is bad and congrats on not doing your job.

My job isn't to support some random person using their personal computer that can't load a website hundreds of other people use daily. It works on Chrome, Firefox, Safari on OS X. Safari on Iphones, whatever browser Android phones use.

spankmeister posted:

So let me get this straight: you have a website, and it only works on Windows Vista and Windows 7?

Or you know, it works on everything but WinXp and maybe on Win8.1 for some reason. I don't know any other people stupid enough to use Windows 8, so there isn't anyone I can have test.

SamDabbers
May 26, 2003

CitizenKain posted:

I don't know any other people stupid enough to use Windows 8, so there isn't anyone I can have test.

What do you think is wrong with Windows 8 that isn't related to the new "start menu," and why do you think people are stupid for using it?

orange sky
May 7, 2007

CitizenKain posted:

I don't know any other people stupid enough to use Windows 8, so there isn't anyone I can have test.

You sure hate that OS.

m.hache
Dec 1, 2004

Fun Shoe
I like Windows 8.1

chin up everything sucks
Jan 29, 2012

SamDabbers posted:

What do you think is wrong with Windows 8 that isn't related to the new "start menu," and why do you think people are stupid for using it?

I personally hate it for being a gimmick OS. "People like tablets, lets make every computer act like a tablet." Yeah. No. How about you add a touchscreen feature for comps with touchscreens, and not try to force tablet-like setups on devices that don't have touchscreens?

Exit Strategy
Dec 10, 2010

by sebmojo

FireSight posted:

I personally hate it for being a gimmick OS. "People like tablets, lets make every computer act like a tablet." Yeah. No. How about you add a touchscreen feature for comps with touchscreens, and not try to force tablet-like setups on devices that don't have touchscreens?

Because the vast majority of Windows' userbase are people who don't care what the OS looks like as long as they can get to Steam, Gmail, and Facebook. Most Windows machines might as well just have four big buttons: "Steam", "Facebook", "Gmail", "Install malware".

Alighieri
Dec 10, 2005

:dukedog:

I don't understand the hate for the new start menu in 8. Took less than 5 minutes to poke around it and find it's functions, also the new start menu doesn't take 5 minutes to load on slow systems with lots of programs installed like the old start menu can.

Now, windows key not working on some server 2012 installs is maddening.

DrAlexanderTobacco
Jun 11, 2012

Help me find my true dharma

CitizenKain posted:

Show me on the doll where Ballmer touched you

m.hache
Dec 1, 2004

Fun Shoe
Being able to press the Windows key and type to instantly search your computer is pretty rad. That's my favorite feature thus far in Windows 8.1.

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

m.hache posted:

Being able to press the Windows key and type to instantly search your computer is pretty rad. That's my favorite feature thus far in Windows 8.1.

7 did this from day one.

m.hache
Dec 1, 2004

Fun Shoe

Great Beer posted:

7 did this from day one.

I suppose that's true. I just find it to be much more responsive in 8.1.

Wrath of the Bitch King
May 11, 2005

Research confirms that black is a color like silver is a color, and that beyond black is clarity.

Alighieri posted:

I don't understand the hate for the new start menu in 8. Took less than 5 minutes to poke around it and find it's functions, also the new start menu doesn't take 5 minutes to load on slow systems with lots of programs installed like the old start menu can.

Not to derail, but it made the process of finding what you're looking for less efficient. As someone else said, 7 gave you the ability to Windows Key -> Search from inception, so there was no real gain to be had making the transition from Classic to Metro UI.

My issue with it is how certain control options and changes have to go through the start menu UI, and certain other changes have to be made through the traditional control panel. If you're going to push people to a new standard it would probably be intelligent to make sure they didn't have to constantly cross over environments to make certain changes. Make everything available from either side of the fence to appease both tablet users and traditionalists.

Why does Skype have to use the Metro UI? Why can I only extend my desktop via WiDi using the sideswipe bar in Metro and not from my normal desktop? There are tons of examples but those are a few I can think of right now.

m.hache
Dec 1, 2004

Fun Shoe
Windows 8 is the Vista of this Generation. Some good ideas but they need to flesh them out.

DrAlexanderTobacco
Jun 11, 2012

Wrath of the Bitch King posted:

Why does Skype have to use the Metro UI?

Irritatingly, there are two versions of popular apps like Skype - One for Metro which is distinctly an "App" in Microsoft's view, but they also have "Skype for Desktop" - which is entirely based on the desktop.

Flagrama
Jun 19, 2010

Lipstick Apathy

Wrath of the Bitch King posted:

Not to derail, but it made the process of finding what you're looking for less efficient. As someone else said, 7 gave you the ability to Windows Key -> Search from inception, so there was no real gain to be had making the transition from Classic to Metro UI.

My issue with it is how certain control options and changes have to go through the start menu UI, and certain other changes have to be made through the traditional control panel. If you're going to push people to a new standard it would probably be intelligent to make sure they didn't have to constantly cross over environments to make certain changes. Make everything available from either side of the fence to appease both tablet users and traditionalists.

Why does Skype have to use the Metro UI? Why can I only extend my desktop via WiDi using the sideswipe bar in Metro and not from my normal desktop? There are tons of examples but those are a few I can think of right now.

Uh, it doesn't? I think you have to install the desktop version but you definitely aren't forced to use the app version.

I also have never used the modern ui control panel for anything except for a system refresh. What other settings are in it that don't directly effect the start screen stuff and would be better off in the desktop control panel?

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

DrAlexanderTobacco posted:

Irritatingly, there are two versions of popular apps like Skype - One for Metro which is distinctly an "App" in Microsoft's view, but they also have "Skype for Desktop" - which is entirely based on the desktop.

Same thing for Dropbox, by the way.

The last two pages of this thread are awful. Way too much "my way or the highway" bullshit.

Let's go back to ranting about stupid tickets instead of revealing ourselves as the people who write those tickets. :)

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
I like that they put the metro view in Server 2012. I think it's just to troll people who hate Windows 8.

It also kind of says "Server Core is too scary for you? Well, I guess we can give you big touchscreen buttons if powershell is just too much for you."

Wrath of the Bitch King
May 11, 2005

Research confirms that black is a color like silver is a color, and that beyond black is clarity.

Flagrama posted:

Uh, it doesn't? I think you have to install the desktop version but you definitely aren't forced to use the app version.

I also have never used the modern ui control panel for anything except for a system refresh. What other settings are in it that don't directly effect the start screen stuff and would be better off in the desktop control panel?

There being separate apps is kind of a problem and adds to the confusion.

As for your other question, lockscreen background changes have to be made through the metro UI settings, connecting/displaying to a WiDi device has to be done through the metro UI unless you have the Intel WiDi software installed, connecting to a VPN using native windows (PPTP or otherwise) brings up the goofy sidebar for your connections, certain elements of user account management (ones with Microsoft Account integration) have to be processed in Metro, etc. I'm sure there are more.

If you've ever had to do work with application packaging or desktop controls, Windows 8 can be painful if you want to lockdown even native apps, since they have different identifiers for the metro version of the apps than the regular ones. Controlling metro IE is painful in and off itself because it doesn't have an appID/package ID defined in the OS.

A lot of this is probably obvious to me because I have to work with all of this stuff in a way most people don't.

Wrath of the Bitch King fucked around with this message at 20:17 on Jul 24, 2014

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.
The biggest issue with windows 8 isn't that the metro GUI is poo poo (it is), its that they made a conscious decision to remove the ability to change back to the old style GUI. The decision makers at Microsoft thought you shouldn't have a choice and that is hilarious.

Lamar Smith R-TX
Feb 23, 2012

Sickening posted:

The biggest issue with windows 8 isn't that the metro GUI is poo poo (it is), its that they made a conscious decision to remove the ability to change back to the old style GUI. The decision makers at Microsoft thought you shouldn't have a choice and that is hilarious.

Our CFO is quite proud of himself for having drunk the kool-aid and fully adapted to Metro

A minor setback the other day though - - He used Metro to tell Windows to perform updates, it constantly failed to actually apply these 30+ recently issued updates.

I run Windows 8 everywhere but I use Start8 and bypass Metro completely, I'm totally unfamiliar with it. I *windows key + R* enter "control" and double click Windows Update... Updates install flawlessly.

So not only is it more awkward to use, it isn't even fully functional...

dox
Mar 4, 2006

Lamar Smith R-TX posted:

Our CFO is quite proud of himself for having drunk the kool-aid and fully adapted to Metro

A minor setback the other day though - - He used Metro to tell Windows to perform updates, it constantly failed to actually apply these 30+ recently issued updates.

I run Windows 8 everywhere but I use Start8 and bypass Metro completely, I'm totally unfamiliar with it. I *windows key + R* enter "control" and double click Windows Update... Updates install flawlessly.

As far as I'm aware, you are still using the same update engine whether you do it 'in Metro' or otherwise.

Also: WIN+R, type wuapp. :smuggo:

Lamar Smith R-TX
Feb 23, 2012

dox posted:

As far as I'm aware, you are still using the same update engine whether you do it 'in Metro' or otherwise.

Also: WIN+R, type wuapp. :smuggo:

I would think that too, but for whatever reason it failed repeatedly in this case. (supposedly even after MULTIPLE reboots!) :colbert:

Lynxifer
Jan 2, 2005
Comedy "Buttsecks" Option

Sickening posted:

I think this was Microsoft trying to copy Apple's stances that they have with their own product line.
For years, certainly in the Steve Jobs round two Apple era, Apple spent a lot of time removing, adding or changing various aspects of their products and the fanbase would eat it up, like it was the best idea in the whole world and would say how Microsoft/Intel/Dell, etc were behind the times and would never try something "so smart". Even when moves were terrible, the Fanbase would still eat it up from Apple's PR line and you just get this enormous wave of mindless support for whatever they announced. On the flipside you had the running thing of the font add progress box being the same one as from Windows 3.11 all the way up to at least Vista, which was "absolute proof" the Microsoft "never innovated or changed".
With all that going down, I'm not surprised Microsoft tried to pull an Apple and tell the userbase: "No, we think this is better so shut up", but with their history of legacy support and Microsoft being the easy target, I'm not surprised it backfired as it did.

Don't get me wrong, I love the Metro UI on a touchscreen. But what I want on my desktop PC is a Desktop UI that doesn't flip on its head and become unwieldy every time I need to start a new action.
It really feels like a line manager said "We're doing this" and just stuck his fingers in his ears and stamped his feet like a child if anyone tried to voice concerns about forcing metro on the desktop users.

Bohemian Cowabunga
Mar 24, 2008

We rolled Win 8.1 out to all our users around 3 months ago and I am growing on it. From a support point of view, its been a breeze so far (even with our in-house middleware Java application).
Granted we migrated from XP, not sure it's worth the effort if you're on Win 7.

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

I am now officially the person in charge of the department when my boss is not here. This comes with no official change in title or pay, of course.

m.hache
Dec 1, 2004

Fun Shoe

GWBBQ posted:

I am now officially the person in charge of the department when my boss is not here. This comes with no official change in title or pay, of course.

But it comes with the power! :black101:

DrAlexanderTobacco
Jun 11, 2012

GWBBQ posted:

So why do it?

Mustache Ride
Sep 11, 2001

Probably the future hope of one day having an official change in title or pay.

So naive.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

You act like it was his choice.

Alighieri
Dec 10, 2005

:dukedog:

Had a ticket the other day, Asterisk PBX with 3rd party call center software integrated into the PBX running on separate servers. They had a power outage earlier in the day and are having lots of problems with the call center servers. Logged into the servers and in the wireshark I see SIP packets that have nothing to do with the call center servers as if someone turned on port mirroring and was sending all PBX SIP traffic to them. Turns out the switch the PBX and other servers were on was not attached to any surge protector/battery backup. Replaced the switch and all is fine. They will be adding surge protectors now. It's a wonder none of the NIC's were taken out.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

GreenNight posted:

It is?

DrAlexanderTobacco
Jun 11, 2012

GreenNight posted:

Rather, I forgot about the current state of US labor laws :smug:

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

What, is he going to say no and not be a team player?

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

GreenNight posted:

What, is he going to say no and not be a team player?

I think that its perfectly reasonable to not accept more responsibility without being compensated for it. Its not personal, its business.

JohnnyCanuck
May 28, 2004

Strong And/Or Free

m.hache posted:

But it comes with the power! :black101:

What power?

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

Yeah it's not personal, it's business when they find someone else.

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011
This has nothing to do with IT- but I'm playing a (hopefully) harmless prank on our office manager. For the last few weeks I have been working at another office on and off. When I'm working late at the other office, I usually stop by our main office on the way to the parking garage. The last three times I have done this, our supply room (which is in a common hallway area shared with the other half of the building), has been left open. I sent out a reminder and was surprised to see it still open last night. We don't keep anything special in there, just shipping/office supplies- but we do keep our conference gear in there. Part of this includes a laptop and a brand new 32" LED TV. I have hidden the laptop and TV in one of my locked store rooms and am waiting for the fallout. :devil:

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

nobody is going to notice until the CEO needs it for an emergency conference and you're going to get fired for sabotaging it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

President Ark
May 16, 2010

:iiam:

The power of voodoo!

• Locked thread