Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum
The rear is 80/20 at least but yeah, nobodies fault but my own for taking a busy street with unpredictable traffic lights. I'll go do some burnouts in a gravel pit for a bit and then take it on a loooooong slow ride to get them heat cycled tomorrow evening or Wednesday, should be highway safe after that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010

Z3n posted:

60/40 knobbies are going to have pretty meh grip on asphalt, so just keep that in mind. Maybe test them a bit in a parking lot, you also need to run lower pressures.

nsaP posted:

z3n, lay off of him please. Don't be a dick.

:psyboom:

ScienceAndMusic
Feb 16, 2012

CANNOT STOP SHITPOSTING FOR FIVE MINUTES

Its just an in joke in this forum now. Feel free to put them on your ignore list and it will make your CA experience better.

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010

ScienceAndMusic posted:

Its just an in joke in this forum now. Feel free to put them on your ignore list and it will make your CA experience better.

Half the fun of reading these forums is the wonderful interpersonal relationships posters develop and enjoying the occasional inversion of personalities and tendencies.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Beach Bum posted:

Half the fun of reading these forums is the wonderful interpersonal relationships posters develop and enjoying the occasional inversion of personalities and tendencies.

Exactly. "Shut up nsap/n8r/hnasty/z3n et al."

It's pretty wonderful :allears:

edit for clarity

Just Horizontal
Jul 11, 2011

Rime posted:

It's time for my annual contribution: Got new tires put on, 60/40 knobbies instead of the bald-rear end Spitfires I'd been running. Get on the road home, babying it, everything is going well and it feels like I'm riding on ice instead of glued to the pavement.

Yellow light comes out of nowhere, I pull the front brake like an idiot, I end up on my left side. Get it over on the sidewalk to inspect the damage, unfortunately it snapped off the bolt that I use as a shifter knob. Thankfully, I have plenty of ducttape under the seat! Straighten the forks out with the ol' tire between the legs trick, make sure everything else is working, and take the back roads home shifting delicately.

Now I'm sitting here with a tensor bandage running up my left arm, afraid to take this pile of poo poo on a road trip this weekend. :negative:

I'm genuinely intrigued, just how hard did you pull the brake? I rarely feel unstable under breaking on the road and almost exclusively use the front. I just want to know how much more I can tug on the layer'dan lever.

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

I'm as annoying as the high-pitched whine of my motorcycle, desperately compensating for the lack of substance in my life.

Just Horizontal posted:

I'm genuinely intrigued, just how hard did you pull the brake? I rarely feel unstable under breaking on the road and almost exclusively use the front. I just want to know how much more I can tug on the layer'dan lever.

Tug as hard as your little pecker can handle front tire can hold traction. This means not hard at all on loose things such as your mom sand and gravel and poo poo.

I think the real concern is why people are panic braking for a yellow light rather than clutching up and hammering down.

Tanbo
Nov 19, 2013

EX250 Type R posted:

I think the real concern is why people are panic braking for a yellow light rather than clutching up and hammering down.

Can't wash out the front if you're riding on the rear through the lights.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?

Beach Bum posted:

Yeah cause it's the guys that have been around a while. I can't imagine the CA experience if you put all of us on ignore...getting googled advice from razzled or something I guess.

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL

nsaP posted:

Yeah cause it's the guys that have been around a while. I can't imagine the CA experience if you put all of us on ignore...getting googled advice from razzled or something I guess.

God save their souls

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

I'm as annoying as the high-pitched whine of my motorcycle, desperately compensating for the lack of substance in my life.
jfc nsap lay off you jerk >:|

Lynza
Jun 1, 2000

"Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea."
- Robert A. Heinlein
So this is not my accident, but it's interesting and I thought I'd get your takes on it.

http://www.10news.com/news/motorcyclist-killed-in-solana-beach-crash

The motorcyclist in this case is my friend's stepbrother. My friend says that all of the witnesses have said there was no racing involved (the motorcyclist was going to work, there were no other bikes around, etc.) but the cops are reporting that racing may have been involved. It seems like this is something they try to push with other accidents, if reading this thread is any kind of indicator.

Why would they immediately assume racing? Is it just the go-to for single-vehicle crashes or what?

ScienceAndMusic
Feb 16, 2012

CANNOT STOP SHITPOSTING FOR FIVE MINUTES

nsaP posted:

I have a carb problem. Solution: eat more fat.

Shimrod
Apr 15, 2007

race tires on road are a great idea, ask me!

If witnesses say he wasn't racing, chances are he wasn't actually racing. Cops are probably assuming it because young bloke on a sportsbike. Plus they can use it to push an agenda if they feel like it, or something. They may also just say that because he was speeding or something.

Just Horizontal
Jul 11, 2011

EX250 Type R posted:

Tug as hard as your little pecker can handle front tire can hold traction. This means not hard at all on loose things such as your mom sand and gravel and poo poo.

I have/still occasionally rode off road, on all types of mud and loose gravel/stone surfaces and, whilst I still consider myself a bad rider, I think I can stop my piddly 250 in at least 85% of the time that is humanely possible when on the road. I have just never seen or heard of my friends washing out front ends yet coming to this board, all I read about is things like this happening!

apatite
Dec 2, 2006

Got yer back, Jack

Just Horizontal posted:

I have/still occasionally rode off road, on all types of mud and loose gravel/stone surfaces and, whilst I still consider myself a bad rider, I think I can stop my piddly 250 in at least 85% of the time that is humanely possible when on the road. I have just never seen or heard of my friends washing out front ends yet coming to this board, all I read about is things like this happening!

He panicked and grabbed wayyy too much front brake (or the tire he bought is insanely hard and in that case probably really old). I run "stamped with DOT but poo poo on the road" knobbies and can grab a big old handful with a brand new tire and not crash, even after using tons of soap to mount the tire and tons of baby powder on the tube, which invariably gets the slipperiest nastiest poo poo all over the tire.

Sorry to hear about the crash, "yellow means more gas"

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum

apatite posted:

He panicked and grabbed wayyy too much front brake (or the tire he bought is insanely hard and in that case probably really old). I run "stamped with DOT but poo poo on the road" knobbies and can grab a big old handful with a brand new tire and not crash, even after using tons of soap to mount the tire and tons of baby powder on the tube, which invariably gets the slipperiest nastiest poo poo all over the tire.

Sorry to hear about the crash, "yellow means more gas"

Grabbing way too much brake too fast is exactly what happened, the tire for reference is a Kenda K784. I would have powered through the yellow in an other intersection, here it would have meant running across 9 lanes of traffic and probably ended messier since I was already rattled by how icy the tires felt. :v:

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Shimrod posted:

If witnesses say he wasn't racing, chances are he wasn't actually racing. Cops are probably assuming it because young bloke on a sportsbike. Plus they can use it to push an agenda if they feel like it, or something. They may also just say that because he was speeding or something.

Every time anyone has a crash in any kind of vehicle and it makes the media here the cops say that they're 'investigating if speed was a factor' and they pretty much assume it was, because speed kills and doing 60 instead of 50 is the difference between life and death.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

Rime posted:

The rear is 80/20 at least but yeah, nobodies fault but my own for taking a busy street with unpredictable traffic lights. I'll go do some burnouts in a gravel pit for a bit and then take it on a loooooong slow ride to get them heat cycled tomorrow evening or Wednesday, should be highway safe after that.

Just roll stoppies until you crash or the tires break in, problem solved! :buddy:

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗
http://www.10news.com/news/at-least-1-dead-in-north-county-crash-072214

This is on my commute every day.

Be careful, guys.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?

Slavvy posted:

Every time anyone has a crash in any kind of vehicle and it makes the media here the cops say that they're 'investigating if speed was a factor' and they pretty much assume it was, because speed kills and doing 60 instead of 50 is the difference between life and death.

Watching No Prisoners, it's hard to fault them.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.

Slavvy posted:

Of course speed was a factor. If they'd remained perfectly at rest it would've been drat near impossible to wreck. I swear no policemen ever take logic classes and learn how reductio ad absurdum makes all their investigations simple.

karms
Jan 22, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yam Slacker

nsaP posted:

z3n, lay off of him please. Don't be a dick.

[sensible chuckle.gif]

nsaP posted:

Watching No Prisoners, it's hard to fault them.

All that proves is that you don't want to:

1) be russian or in russia
2) see 1, but replace russia with malaysia, thailand, china, japan or korea
3) ride in the wet in britain with L plates on
4) target fixate in the meekest of corners in the continental us of a
5) stunt

Really, the cops should just replace "speeding" with "not cornering" in their vernacular. It'll get them much closer to the truth.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

#1 in the 3/4 of no prisoners 3&4 is excessive, retarded speeding.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Went for a bike ride after work and while waiting at a left turn signal saw a guy 3 lanes over from me on a bike turning right out of the corner of my eye. Being on a bike, starting watching him to ID the bike just in time to think to myself "gently caress, he's taking that turn way wide and pretty fast..." SLAM into the curb and guy went down.

Luckily the lady next to me left a gap and traffic allowed so I was able to fly over there. Guy was still down but moaning a bit. He responded to me but could you could tell he had the wind knocked out of him. Another couple people stopped and by this time he was up and walking within about 60 seconds, albeit slowly. He was able to answer my questions I was asking coherently but when a lady stopped and said she called 911 he asked her to cancel it and I concurred at this point since he was walking around and seemed very coherent and knew what he was saying.

Got him to sit down in the grass and I picked up his (as I found out later, 1 month old) Triumph Tiger. It took it well. Just cosmetic and took out a signal light bulb. Engine guard did a good job. Got him calmed down a bit and sitting on some nearby grass and I was able to ride his bike to a parking lot to get it off the road. Bike rode fine. Got him some water from the nearby burger joint as he was super thirsty. I was a little alarmed since he couldn't move enough to get his helmet off but he assured me it was his shoulder being sore and not his neck/back so I helped him. I pulled the straps wide as hard as I could to make it come off as easy as possible and it was off pretty easy. Helmet has some good rash. His Triumph jacket and pants did pretty well but he did rip the mesh part of his elbow.

He again refused my asking to call an ambulance for him and said he'd be fine. I offered to get my truck and take him to the hospital and he politely refused. He lives in a small town 1/2 hour away and he said he was going to ride home but I told him if he's that sore he really needs to stay in town and not ride anywhere. He eventually he told me his son lives in town and he'd get a hold of him. I stayed with him for about 30 minutes and I left. My cell battery was stone dead so I went by a local police station and asked them to send a cruiser to check on his welfare in a bit in case he was still there and that he refused attempts to get medical care.

I rode back about 20 minutes later and he was in the same place so I pulled over again and talked to him. I offered again to take him to the hospital but he refused. He also admitted he was too sore to ride the bike.

To cut through the chase, had a good chat with him and I drove him to where his son works. I went back and rode his tiger to the same place for him (also a well known and nice local hotel).

I will also say, I liked riding the Tiger Explorer.

slidebite fucked around with this message at 04:51 on Jul 24, 2014

mguirk the jerk
Apr 26, 2014

i cant even spell my name god help me

slidebite posted:

Went for a bike ride after work and while waiting at a left turn signal saw a guy 3 lanes over from me on a bike turning right out of the corner of my eye. Being on a bike, starting watching him to ID the bike just in time to think to myself "gently caress, he's taking that turn way wide and pretty fast..." SLAM into the curb and guy went down.

My guess is that he's a new rider who, until this point, has been grunting through turns rather than countersteering, and the speed finally got him?

Shimrod
Apr 15, 2007

race tires on road are a great idea, ask me!

I'm gonna go with dehydrated or had a bit to drink, hence not wanting an ambulance.

Schroeder91
Jul 5, 2007

Was it the Triumph Tiger Explorer XC? I really want one of those! Deets!

I refused paramedics in my incidents too. First time because I had no health insurance and it was just a broken arm. Second I was mostly fine. That sucks that happened, hopefully the dudes feeling better.

ReelBigLizard
Feb 27, 2003

Fallen Rib

slidebite posted:

...picked up his (as I found out later, 1 month old) Triumph Tiger.
...I was able to ride his bike to a parking lot to get it off the road.
...Got him some water from the nearby burger joint as he was super thirsty.
...I offered to get my truck and take him to the hospital and he politely refused.
...went by a local police station and asked them to send a cruiser to check on his welfare
...rode back about 20 minutes later
...drove him to where his son works.
...rode his tiger to the same place for him

You've got mad biker karma right now.

Schroeder91 posted:

I refused paramedics... ...no health insurance and it was just a broken arm.

:drat:
Obligatory "sorry you live in a libertarian hell hole" post. I worry about you US goons :(

karms
Jan 22, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yam Slacker
Woah dude, good job on the follow through. It would never occur to me to inform the police or even go back to check. A+

mguirk the jerk posted:

My guess is that he's a new rider who, until this point, has been grunting through turns rather than countersteering, and the speed finally got him?

aAAAA SHUT UP ABOUT COUNTERSTEERING

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

mguirk the jerk posted:

I'm not even quite sure what you mean? :confused:

Just to answer questions, pretty sure guy was stone sober and healthy. During our last bit of time I asked him and he pretty much said he just plain screwed up. To fast/late/wide/combination of all 3. I think he refused medical attention more because of ego than anything.

I'd say he was pushing 50 and even though the Tiger was brand new, wasn't his first bike ... but we all know that doesn't mean just because you're experienced doesn't mean you don't gently caress up. Really nice guy though and super appreciative of my paternal efforts. He's going to be sore as hell today.

I actually took a few photos of the bike with my wifes cell after I went back to pick him up, before I rode it. I'll post a couple pics of it as long as they turned out OK (4 year old blackberry).

drat nice bike, too bad about the rash. Liked the bottom end grunt :buddy:

Schroeder91 posted:

Was it the Triumph Tiger Explorer XC? I really want one of those! Deets!
I think so.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

I drove by the hotel this AM and his bike was still where I parked it so I took a quick photo.

Engine guard took the bulk of it, pegs got scuffed and broke the front signal lens/bulb. Aux light got a little tweaked but I think it's fine. Hand guard took some pretty good scrapes too along with the top right of the tank/cowl. The headlight bucket seems to move a bit more than it should when I was riding it so I think he snapped something there too, but it wasn't terrible.

All in all, not bad... took it a lot better than my C14 would have that's for sure.

slidebite fucked around with this message at 21:20 on Jul 24, 2014

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL
That is a really cool looking biek. Good on you for taking care of that guy like that!

M42
Nov 12, 2012

Is that.. a blinker bashplate?

Schroeder91
Jul 5, 2007

:swoon: That is the XC. Good to know it can take a hit! I want that biek so bad. :(

^^^^ I believe those are aux lights for fog and low visibility, not the blinker.

DrakeriderCa
Feb 3, 2005

But I'm a real cowboy!
Ugh so dreamy

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Schroeder91 posted:

:swoon: That is the XC. Good to know it can take a hit! I want that biek so bad. :(

^^^^ I believe those are aux lights for fog and low visibility, not the blinker.

The bent one is the aux light, the broken one above it is the signal light.

e: But I see you know that, for M42.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

I like those bikes. They're like a BMW, but with more character and less :smug:

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
Yeah but they're trying so hard, they're like ARRGH LOOK AT ME I'M TOUGH ARGGH

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

At least it's not the :pwn: front end of the BMW... although I suspect Triumph and BMW parts are both probably not cheap.

Drove by on the way to the in-laws after work; still in the same spot. Dudes gotta feel like hell today. I offered to put it in my garage for him, but I think he felt like it would be too much of an imposition. I kind of wish he took me up on it though.

• Locked thread