Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

That almost sounds like a decent last resort scedule.

So something tells me the streaming services themselves are behind it. (they aren't)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

hiddenriverninja posted:

I believe Book 4 wrapped a few weeks ago.

No, only the pre-production finished. Studio Mir is still in the process of animating it.

Which reminds me, Michael Dante DiMartino gave another update on Facebook:

Michael Dante DiMartino posted:

Hey everyone! I appreciate all the support for the show and share your frustration. But the good news is, you will be able to see the rest of Book 3 of Korra, I just don't know all the details yet. And there is most definitely a Book 4. All the pre-production is done and Studio Mir is hard at work on the animation. So this was a disappointing development for sure but as long as you all are able to see the show in some capacity, I'm grateful. And honestly, you're all watching it online anyway, right?

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

quote:

And honestly, you're all watching it online anyway, right?
:drat:

Surprised he came out and said that.

Torquemadras
Jun 3, 2013

Fifty Three posted:

DEATH TO TRADITIONAL TELEVISION

'cause nothing good ever comes of that.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

releasing it online is definitely better than whatever the hell they've been doing recently. I will definitely watch the rest on Hulu

Wildeyes
Nov 3, 2011
Eh, I've seen a tutorial from a Photoshop programmer where the programmer acknowledged that some users would buy Photoshop and some would torrent it (without saying anything negative about the second option). So it really doesn't surprise me that some creative types have come to terms with what's actually happening.

I mean, surely they know we're not all going to be home watching Korra at 6 pm (for me) on a Friday night. At 6 pm, I'm just starting my commute home from work.

Not that I have a Nielsen box anyway. God, now that I think about it, it's mind-blowing that it's 2014, and only a relative handful of people are being factored into television ratings.

A friend also tells me that this season hasn't been available for him on demand, unlike previous seasons. The rollout of this season has been bungled in every possible way it can be bungled.

Wildeyes fucked around with this message at 17:18 on Jul 24, 2014

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

Fifty Three posted:

He and Konietzko have been posting fan-made gifs this whole season that could only have been made by pirates, since there's been no legal way to get episodes online, so they know what's up. Haha.

SirKibbles
Feb 27, 2011

I didn't like your old red text so here's some dancing cash. :10bux:

Wildeyes posted:

Eh, I've seen a tutorial from a Photoshop programmer where the programmer acknowledged that some users would buy Photoshop and some would torrent it (without saying anything negative about the second option). So it really doesn't surprise me that some creative types have come to terms with what's actually happening.

I mean, surely they know we're not all going to be home watching Korra at 6 pm (for me) on a Friday night. At 6 pm, I'm just starting my commute home from work.

Not that I have a Nielsen box anyway. God, now that I think about it, it's mind-blowing that it's 2014, and only a relative handful of people are being factored into television ratings.

A friend also tells me that this season hasn't been available for him on demand, unlike previous seasons. The rollout of this season has been bungled in every possible way it can be bungled.

It's so dumb it's like they hate money (the reason is that media movies etc, but especially tv are run by a bunch of old assholes afraid of change)

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

thexerox123 posted:

He and Konietzko have been posting fan-made gifs this whole season that could only have been made by pirates, since there's been no legal way to get episodes online, so they know what's up. Haha.

Yeah, they've not stupid and have been interacting with the fans directly for a long time, so they know what's up. Honestly they strike me as the kind of guys who don't even care their show is getting pirated as long as it's increasing visibility.

I feel pretty bad for Michael and Konietzko, though. This season seems like the one where everything finally clicked for them, and then because of a leak that is Nick's fault in the first place, their show is rushed out and burned off with zero promotion, then they're unceremoniously given the boot because it turns out that was a stupid move and the ratings tanked.

MacBook Air Gamer
May 6, 2007

Here I go, deep type flow.
Jacques Cousteau could never get this low.
I really really really don't understand why they didn't just put it on their website to begin with. That's how I watched all of Books 1 and 2 since I never liked their on-air time slots and I didn't have to break any laws.

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
Props on the new thread title, which I agree with unironically, because Legend of Korra is far too good to be sandwiched between Sam & Cat and Full House.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Can't take credit here. I didn't think of it and I have no idea which mod did. I was in the middle of trying to come up with a new one when I noticed it.

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

She was a sword glinting in the depths of night, a lance of light piercing the darkness. There would be no mistakes this time.
If only Nickelodeon had left the Spirit Portals between Internet World and TV World open this would have never happened.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

I think this is a good move, but I am still sad that it's come to this. I watched the entirety of TLA and Korra over the course of the past month or so, and they're such good shows. Even with the pierrot episodes, and a really uneven second season overall, Korra pretty much represents the current pinnacle of western animated television for me. It frankly deserves better. I hope this gets it out to more people, because frankly it was only by sheer luck that I saw the trailer for season 3 and thought "you know I should probably check out this Avatar thing".

Squall
Mar 10, 2010

"...whatever."

thexerox123 posted:

Well, they could have recorded it themselves with a capture card (they didn't).

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

Squall posted:

Well, they could have recorded it themselves with a capture card (they didn't).
Plausible deniability.

From the official Korra website:

It will be freely available.

Of course, no idea how this will affect international audiences. I guess they're out of luck, because piracy is wrong and the network certainly isn't FORCING fans of the show to watch it online. No, that would be RIDICULOUS to say.

SpiderHyphenMan fucked around with this message at 19:02 on Jul 24, 2014

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

Of course, no idea how this will affect international audiences. I guess they're out of luck, because piracy is wrong and the network certainly isn't FORCING fans of the show to watch it online. No, that would be RIDICULOUS to say.

International audiences don't have any legal way to watch it yet anyways, so it shouldn't make any real difference.

(It'll be a bit easier being able to watch it on Nick with a VPN, at least.)

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

It's a shame they stopped the 2 episode per week thing. Oh well.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Wildeyes posted:

A lot of software companies would rather people pirated their stuff than use cheap or free competitors. It's a big part of how Adobe beat out Corel and Macromedia.

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I am the sexiest poster in the world!
The only really happy ending I see to this is if the creators are able to get the rights to the Avatar universe IP (which they may already have, who knows) and after book 4 wraps, they pitch a new Avatar show to a network like Netflix or even Cartoon Network, someplace that will see older viewers as an asset rather than a burden. If I were them, I'd time jump ahead to having the world be completely modern technologically, including (depending on how adult they want to make the series) the presence of guns. Aside from that I don't really have other ideas, since the fairly rich well of telling stories of Avatars pre-Aang is poisoned (in my opinion) by the knowledge that their inherited knowledge, and possibly souls if you take a bleak outlook on things, are destroyed in LoK, and I think the show needs to revolve around the Avatar to really work.

They could also really become an anime by making animated movies about Aang or Korra that take place whenever the heck they want them to in their lives.

Having LoK wrap up in a very satisfying way and never getting more shows from this universe isn't a bad ending either, and I'd certainly take that if it's all I get.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
The rights are almost certainly owned by Nickelodeon/Viacom, since turning over the IP to the network are almost always a prerequisite of getting your show picked up. The more likely scenario (assuming they really do have no more interest in any Avatar related productions) is that Viacom will hold an auction for the IP to make a sweet buck.

The real question then is what whoever buys the IP will do. If it's someone like Netflix or Amazon, they'll almost certainly turn around and rehire as much of the old staff as possible since they lack the expertise to run it by themselves. If someone like Cartoon Network picks it up though, they may just put their own staff on it and have it animated by the studios they already have contracts with. Which would be... interesting, to say the least. :stare:

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010
So it seems like nickelodeon have no idea what how to harness a demographic outside of little kids.

how the hell did they get so laser-focused on 6-12? is there an answer more satisfying than "they are idiot poopheads"? How did CN manage to avoid being trapped by what sells to little kids?

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

NowonSA posted:

If I were them, I'd time jump ahead to having the world be completely modern technologically, including (depending on how adult they want to make the series) the presence of guns.
This is right up there with "Aang should have just killed Ozai" in terms of completely missing the point of the franchise.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

A big flaming stink posted:

how the hell did they get so laser-focused on 6-12? is there an answer more satisfying than "they are idiot poopheads"? How did CN manage to avoid being trapped by what sells to little kids?

CN is better at segmenting their audience by air time. You have kid friendly stuff in the mornings and afternoon for before/after school, more teenager friendly stuff in the evening, and adult swim at night when the kids are in bed. It's a clear segmentation of programming blocks that is announced to the viewer so you don't have parents stumbling into Adult Swim with their kids. This means you can clearly convey to advertisers who is going to be watching at what time, and sell the right ads at the right time. You also get a continuous fanbase: kids who watch cartoons go on to watch anime who go on to watch adult swim. It's a drat smart strategy.

Nick kind of tried to do this back in the day, but they never got past high schooler age. They've also always done a piss poor job of separating out programming blocks, so you get stupid poo poo like Spongebob followed by Avatar followed by Dora the Explorer. Because of this you can't capitalize on selling ads targeted towards your 18-35 Avatar viewers, because you can't afford the fallout of young kids and their parents tuning in a few minutes early for Dora stumbling into a condom commercial. Nick's best bet would be to reorganize broadcasting slots to take advantage of a demographic split, but I think they've already proven they have their collective heads up their asses when it comes to broadcast times.

So yes, a lot of it can be attributed to Nick's strategy being worse than CN's. CN positioned itself as a network that has cartoons for people of all ages. Nick positioned itself as a network that has cartoons for children.

Wildeyes
Nov 3, 2011

NowonSA posted:

The only really happy ending I see to this is if the creators are able to get the rights to the Avatar universe IP (which they may already have, who knows) and after book 4 wraps, they pitch a new Avatar show to a network like Netflix or even Cartoon Network, someplace that will see older viewers as an asset rather than a burden. If I were them, I'd time jump ahead to having the world be completely modern technologically, including (depending on how adult they want to make the series) the presence of guns.

If I wanted to watch a show with guns, I'd watch one of the million other shows with guns. I watch Avatar/Korra to see flashy elemental magic powers.

The only "adult" thing they could add in that I would actually want is the ability to freely say "die" and "kill." And they've already done that a few times anyway.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Sydin posted:

The rights are almost certainly owned by Nickelodeon/Viacom, since turning over the IP to the network are almost always a prerequisite of getting your show picked up. The more likely scenario (assuming they really do have no more interest in any Avatar related productions) is that Viacom will hold an auction for the IP to make a sweet buck.

The real question then is what whoever buys the IP will do. If it's someone like Netflix or Amazon, they'll almost certainly turn around and rehire as much of the old staff as possible since they lack the expertise to run it by themselves. If someone like Cartoon Network picks it up though, they may just put their own staff on it and have it animated by the studios they already have contracts with. Which would be... interesting, to say the least. :stare:

If CN picks it up, they might hire back the leads. Might. As for other stuff, Korra animated by Titmouse might be likely. Also a Spirit-focused episode directed by Penn Ward or some AT person.

PaganGoatPants
Jan 18, 2012

TODAY WAS THE SPECIAL SALE DAY!
Grimey Drawer
Show would do a lot better on CN I bet. At least it would be marketed.

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

A big flaming stink posted:

So it seems like nickelodeon have no idea what how to harness a demographic outside of little kids.

Cartoon Network never had a Spongebob to rally behind as a symbol of everything their network stood for. It did however learn the value of periphery demographics with Adult Swim, and around five years ago some genius went "What if we did shows like the ones we show on Adult Swim, except we're also able to show them to kids!"
Nickelodeon, meanwhile, had a guy called Dan Schneider, who perfected the artscience of the tween sitcom and, along with Spongebob, essentially pays Nickelodeon's bills.

So that's how that's happened.

YorexTheMad
Apr 16, 2007
OBAMA IS A FALSE MESSIAH

ABANDON ALL HOPE
The main thing I've learned from this whole affair is that Spongebob is still o the air. Seriously?

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

YorexTheMad posted:

The main thing I've learned from this whole affair is that Spongebob is still o the air. Seriously?

For hours upon hours a day. Because somehow it just keeps raking in money.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

That's the power of merchandising.

Metropolis
Apr 6, 2006

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

If you think Korra's writing was a problem for a demographic that made iCarly a nine figure property then I again posit that you are out of your goddamn mind.

Criticize Korra all you want but don't think for a drat moment that this has anything to do with the show's quality.

There's good bad writing, where a show is episodic and formulaic, with bland, inoffensive, easy-to-digest humour, that will garner a show a lot of ratings. That's probably what iCarly has. Then there's bad bad writing, where a show is serialized, so a person who is just tuning in has no idea what's going on and is not really sucked in enough to care. And the people who do follow along do know what's going on but also sorta don't care and will stop watching if they find something better to do. If Korra had great writing and was generally awesome in the first two seasons we probably wouldn't have seen such a gigantic drop in viewership over two years, depsite how badly the network has messed up with it.

I mean I'm not ratings expert or anything but as much as The Last Airbender got hosed with schedule-wise (an 8 month mid-season break?), its ratings would either hold steady or increase through its run. Overall viewership from the premiere of the first season to the series finale practically doubled. Korra's ratings have dropped off to the point where it has less than one third of the viewers it had at its series premiere. That's pretty dire. A strong serial show will have fans that go out of their way a bit to watch it, recommend it to their friends, etc. which can help a show weather some bullshit like getting bounced to Fridays. Korra doesn't really have that going for it partly because it had such weak writing earlier on. If the show were better through its run I think it would have higher ratings despite how the network is messing with it.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!

PaganGoatPants posted:

Show would do a lot better on CN I bet. At least it would be marketed.

Yeah, you'd think that. Then you realize how horribly CN treated Justice League Unlimited

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I am the sexiest poster in the world!
Yeah CN isn't a total angel either. Young Justice was an interesting series, probably the closest thing to JLU since JLU went off the air, an it got canceled fairly early essentially because it wasn't selling toys.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

ROSS MY SALAD posted:

Yeah, you'd think that. Then you realize how horribly CN treated Justice League Unlimited

After season 1 of Justice League the show lasting for 4 seasons was a miracle. It could've rightly been axed after the poo poo show it started as.

PaganGoatPants
Jan 18, 2012

TODAY WAS THE SPECIAL SALE DAY!
Grimey Drawer

ROSS MY SALAD posted:

Hmm and I forgot the treatment SU is getting nowadays.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

ROSS MY SALAD posted:

And Samurai Jack, and Symbiotic Titan (which did Enders Game better than the movie), and Young Justice, and Green Lantern TAS. Come to think of it, wasn't CN doing really bad compared to Nick and Disney (another channel that really fucks over good cartoons see: Gravity Falls :argh:) business wise a few years ago?

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
I do not like the new thread title. :(

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

This one was my idea, actually.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

She was a sword glinting in the depths of night, a lance of light piercing the darkness. There would be no mistakes this time.
I liked the other one better. :smith:

• Locked thread