Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

Can you post a picture of the edge markings? "Blue" prints sounds like a lovely lab, not lovely film.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

unpacked robinhood
Feb 18, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

ansel autisms posted:

Can you post a picture of the edge markings? "Blue" prints sounds like a lovely lab, not lovely film.

this ?

MrBlandAverage
Jul 2, 2003

GNNAAAARRRR

yeah your lab guy's story is bullshit and he's terrible at operating a minilab, sorry

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

MrBlandAverage posted:

yeah your lab guy's story is bullshit and he's terrible at operating a minilab, sorry

yep, get a scanner and don't trust that guy anymore

unpacked robinhood
Feb 18, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

ansel autisms posted:

yep, get a scanner and don't trust that guy anymore

OK. There's a pro lab on the other side of town, I'll probably check next time when I can afford it.

deaders
Jun 14, 2002

Someone felt sorry enough for me to change my custom title.
Oh hey look what I found while cleaning out some boxes of crap, my old waterproof p&s from the 90's. I love this camera, just need to get some more CR123 batteries to see if it still works.

VomitOnLino
Jun 13, 2005

Sometimes I get lost.

unpacked robinhood posted:

My main problem with the XA at the moment is to get the focusing working correctly though, any picture where the subject is less than 2m away is woefully out of focus. I'm pretty sure I paid attention each time so I'm thinking I'll have to open this thing again and try to recalibrate the whatitscalled.

The rangefinder, that said it's odd that it's the most noticeable for you at short distances, it should be far worse at mid/long distance unless of course the large 35mm DOF covers that up.

Let me explain: Basically the rangefinder moves linearly through its' focus range, but the distance increases a lot faster than that. (For something similar, see how the distances are spaced out on the lens, if they are marked.) So at close distances you might be off by 1-2cm - that at 10m turns into 1-2 meters, becoming much more noticeable.

365 Nog Hogger
Jan 19, 2008

by Shine

deaders posted:

Oh hey look what I found while cleaning out some boxes of crap, my old waterproof p&s from the 90's. I love this camera, just need to get some more CR123 batteries to see if it still works.

Make sure you check the seals before taking it underwater. I dug out our copy of that camera a couple years ago and ended up with a soggy pile of tri-x. :(

deaders
Jun 14, 2002

Someone felt sorry enough for me to change my custom title.
Yeah I figure as long as they are clean and not obviously crumbling, a bit of vaseline should give it a decent chance of not leaking?

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

The idea that there's some Chinese dudes making knock-off Portra 400 is hilarious to me.

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

Kangaroos hate Hasselblads
There was the Kodak Ektacolor that I used to shoot (you can't get it anymore) that was made in Asia, and supposed to be a cheap version of Portra 160NC. Lomography have some expired stuff in stock, I think I've got a few rolls left in the fridge.

And here's couple of my shots with it

E in Apollo Bay by mr_student, on Flickr

Raspberry hands by mr_student, on Flickr

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

deaders posted:

Check local surplus stores. One near me always seems to have a ton of them on the cheap.

Also that thing is awesome.

voodoorootbeer
Nov 8, 2004

We may have years, we may have hours, but sooner or later we push up flowers.
Lucked out at a trash 'n treasure:

New 2 dolla whip by voodoorootbeer, on Flickr

This thing is small -- might be even thinner than my Rollei 35. Front lens cover has some trouble retracting so I'm either going to have to rip it off or just remember to check it every time. PANORAMA MODE should be fun to dick around with.

Chill Callahan
Nov 14, 2012
I've found a couple of those. They're becoming more scarce as Stylus Epic prices are rising on eBay. Those Nikons hover around $20-30 so they're still reasonable to get as a dick-around point-and-shoot. Lens is decently sharp, though of course not as good as the Stylus Epic.

In my point and shoot (technically ~rangefinder~) thrift story I found a XA with A16 flash for $5 over the weekend. The focusing is garbage though and I kinda hate it.

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

voodoorootbeer posted:

This thing is small -- might be even thinner than my Rollei 35. Front lens cover has some trouble retracting so I'm either going to have to rip it off or just remember to check it every time. PANORAMA MODE should be fun to dick around with.

Panorama mode is just cropping off the top and bottom of each frame

voodoorootbeer
Nov 8, 2004

ansel autisms posted:

"dicking around" != "making Serious Arts"

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib

ansel autisms posted:

True, and despite knowing (and it being obvious through the viewfinder) on my 90's SLR that does it, I find it an interesting and enjoyable way to shoot.

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

voodoorootbeer posted:

"dicking around" != "making Serious Arts"

"dicking around" != "wasting film"

Cropping is hard.

MrBlandAverage
Jul 2, 2003

GNNAAAARRRR

ansel autisms posted:

Cropping is hard.

but then it wouldn't be sooc!!

IM DAY DAY IRL
Jul 11, 2003

Everything's fine.

Nothing to see here.
built in panoramas that crop the frame are pretty goofy but can be a decent way to help you frame panorama shots during your photo infancy.

dorkasaurus_rex
Jun 10, 2005

gawrsh do you think any women will be there

voodoorootbeer posted:

There's only one true panorama 35mm and it belongs nowhere near this thread:

http://www.luminous-landscape.com/reviews/cameras/haselbla.shtml

voodoorootbeer
Nov 8, 2004

ansel autisms posted:

Cropping is hard.

pourin out a 40 for my lost mm's of Arista Premium

bobmarleysghost
Mar 7, 2006

dorkasaurus_rex posted:

There's only one true panorama 35mm and it belongs nowhere near this thread:

http://www.luminous-landscape.com/reviews/cameras/haselbla.shtml

This has been on my wish list for a few years now. One day Hassie, one day...

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you
I want to get a $50-or-less p&s. What are some recommended models? I tried the ones in the OP but I guess lots of other people had the same idea because they're looking pretty pricey these days.

I just want a camera to have fun with and not worry about losing it. I have my fancy 5D for formal shots, but I want something to take photos of my friends that I'll actually print and keep rather than store on a harddrive and file away somewhere.

I've never done anything with film before so something somewhat dummyproof would be nice.

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm
Olympus XA2 would be my recommendation. Not technically a point and shoot since its zone focus but pretty close.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib
Cut your budget to $15 for the camera, spend the rest on film.

Browse your local thrift shops. You're looking for a non-zoom first, something with a reputable brand name behind it second. If you recognize the brand name, it's probably good (though obviously that doesn't mean "Vivitar" or "Sears" are good bets).

Zooms on film P&S tend to be pretty bad, they had to make too many compromises on the lens design, all driven by cutting costs so you end up with a variable aperture that runs from about f/4 to f/6.3 if you're lucky. It's much easier to find a P&S with a prime lens and a maximum aperture of f/3.5 or even f/2.8.

BANME.sh
Jan 23, 2008

What is this??
Are you some kind of hypnotist??
Grimey Drawer
To be fair, a lot of stuff in the OP is rare/collectible/expensive. The only exception being maybe the Stylus Epic, because it was only about $100 brand new in 1997. They look like pieces of junky plastic, so they often find themselves thrown in the pile of junk p&s film cameras at the thrift store (as opposed to behind the glass, where you'll find film SLRs or other more "fancy" looking stuff). I got one just a few months ago for $7. Check local classifieds as well. If you are patient, one will come along.

The only downside is it's *completely* automatic. It's modern enough that it'll read the film spool and set the ISO for you, and you can't change it if you want to over/under expose.

Also, not technically a p&s, but the Minolta Hi-Matic AF2 is a pretty good dummy proof (being autofocus and all) compact camera. Has a wide f2.8 lens that takes decently sharp photos, uses 2xAA batteries instead of some weird hard to find type, and is also made entirely out of cheap feeling plastic. So you might be able to find it for not a lot of money. The Canon AF35M would be another pick, for the same reasons.

BANME.sh fucked around with this message at 00:44 on Jul 24, 2014

dorkasaurus_rex
Jun 10, 2005

gawrsh do you think any women will be there

triplexpac posted:

I want to get a $50-or-less p&s. What are some recommended models? I tried the ones in the OP but I guess lots of other people had the same idea because they're looking pretty pricey these days.

I just want a camera to have fun with and not worry about losing it. I have my fancy 5D for formal shots, but I want something to take photos of my friends that I'll actually print and keep rather than store on a harddrive and file away somewhere.

I've never done anything with film before so something somewhat dummyproof would be nice.

Konica Big Mini should be a good option for you. Might be time for a new thread given that even used Yashica T4's go for like $250 and up these days.

IM DAY DAY IRL
Jul 11, 2003

Everything's fine.

Nothing to see here.

BANME.sh posted:

The only downside is it's *completely* automatic. It's modern enough that it'll read the film spool and set the ISO for you, and you can't change it if you want to over/under expose.

My biggest gripe with Epics is the spotty focusing. The best piece of advice for any new Epic owners is to become very familiar with the zone focusing and use it all the time otherwise you end up with photos like this;

(also don't knock it around because you'll get light leaks)

365 Nog Hogger
Jan 19, 2008

by Shine
What? There is no zone focusing, the mju-ii is AF only. The only settings whatsoever are flash mode and date imprint.

I haven't used mine in a while, as I'm pretty done with 35mm, I should shoot my remaining b/w or sell it all probably.

bobmarleysghost
Mar 7, 2006

365 Nog Hogger posted:

What? There is no zone focusing, the mju-ii is AF only. The only settings whatsoever are flash mode and date imprint.

I haven't used mine in a while, as I'm pretty done with 35mm, I should shoot my remaining b/w or sell it all probably.

He meant the XA is zone focus.

365 Nog Hogger
Jan 19, 2008

by Shine

Santa is strapped posted:

He meant the XA is zone focus.

"The best piece of advice for any new Epic owners"

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

IM DAY DAY IRL posted:

My biggest gripe with Epics is the spotty focusing. The best piece of advice for any new Epic owners is to become very familiar with the zone focusing and use it all the time otherwise you end up with photos like this;

Heart fuckin owns

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

IM DAY DAY IRL posted:

I'm assuming you meant "XA" there, because the Epic has pretty reliable autofocus in my experience. In fact it's pretty reliable everything, and it usually even does a pretty good job with fill flash without causing highlights.

Yeah the XA's rangefinder is definitely a bit on the gimmicky side. I think of it as mostly being important out to about 10ft and then you just shoot hyperfocal. Don't even worry about it, a wide-angle lens near infinity is real forgiving and assuming you don't bump the focus tab you're more likely to see motion blur than missed focus.

Of course then you go to a camera like the Rollei 35 and I would kill to have a rangefinder because close up is where focus accuracy matters the most :negative:

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 18:58 on Jul 24, 2014

IM DAY DAY IRL
Jul 11, 2003

Everything's fine.

Nothing to see here.
Whoops. It was late and I was tired; meant to say spot focusing, not zone.

MrBlandAverage
Jul 2, 2003

GNNAAAARRRR

IM DAY DAY IRL posted:

hmu next time you're in my hood

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

Kangaroos hate Hasselblads

IM DAY DAY IRL posted:

Whoops. It was late and I was tired; meant to say spot focusing, not zone.

I had no idea it could do this, now I can throw all my other 35mm cameras in the bin.

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm
At first glance I thought this was how to take a picture of Darth Vader. Just another reason why the epic owns.

IM DAY DAY IRL
Jul 11, 2003

Everything's fine.

Nothing to see here.

MrBlandAverage posted:

hmu next time you're in my hood

I live and work in NE but I'm constantly down off Burnside. I just got home from a run to See See for some replacement parts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

The mailman ran off with it, then realized it was a poo poo camera and gave it back. :snoop:

• Locked thread