Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010

Torn Quad Jones posted:

Heres the article about that tremor that went autocrossing too bad they put music over the run it sounded great.
http://truckyeah.jalopnik.com/taking-a-stock-ford-f-150-where-its-never-gone-before-1582276128/1583351611/+matthardigree

I would have liked a ride in that. Hell, I'd have like to DRIVE it. Just because.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crustashio
Jul 27, 2000

ruh roh
Pulled another FTD out of my rear end, 37 entries.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JJvm_C-5eaE

Smudged the stupid gopro though.

Joe Mama
May 10, 2008
Nice work. I've never autocrossed and I don't think I could do it without getting lost in the sea of cones constantly.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Joe Mama posted:

Nice work. I've never autocrossed and I don't think I could do it without getting lost in the sea of cones constantly.

This is honestly one of the bigger problems I have with it :shobon: I want to enjoy it, and I do have fun, but I spend way too much time trying to figure out where I need to be going next. Probably doesn't help that I've done three, maybe four events in my life.

Well, that and the fact that I no longer have anything autocrossable.

TrueChaos
Nov 14, 2006

The biggest thing that helps with that is walking the course. Walk it once, then walk it again. And again. And again. And again. During the course walk think about where you want your car to be, what line you want to take through corners. Re walk sections you're unsure of. Look at things from multiple angles (entry / exit in particular). Identify key cones, and ones that don't really matter. I can typically visualize the entire run in my head after my first run of the day (first run required, I'm still working on getting from course walk to race speeds, first run figures that out).

Oh, and keep your head up - look where you're going to be going before you get there, things will come together much better when you have that bit of time to process.

Chriskory
Aug 18, 2004

Back when I was actively driving I drove Akina even in my dreams
Chalk or flour lines make it pretty easy, and simple course designs. At one event this January 50-60 people were picking up DNF's. At that point it's likely a design problem.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kBVGJWACzBc

Here I get 1st in STC by 7 hundredths...

SlimManFat
Nov 12, 2010

RUST RUST RUST RUST RUST RUST RUST RUST RUST RUST RUST RUST RUST RUST RUST
Heres some pictures from about a month or so ago. Decided to beat on my daily for shits and giggles:

Icebergs are kinda cool too:

Crustashio
Jul 27, 2000

ruh roh

SlimManFat posted:

Heres some pictures from about a month or so ago. Decided to beat on my daily for shits and giggles:

Bell island?

SlimManFat
Nov 12, 2010

Crustashio posted:

Bell island?

Yes sir! Usually a decent sized group of cars and all the people are great too! I'm hoping to go again in a few weeks.

Crustashio
Jul 27, 2000

ruh roh
You should come out to nationals in PEI. And bring all the other newfoundland guys.

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5
PEI is going to be funnnnnnn.

Also, I love people who bring weird poo poo/dailies to slalom events. Hats off to you.

Crustashio
Jul 27, 2000

ruh roh
I bought these from CASC for pei. Although I may get my ra1s mounted if there aren't many entries with toyos. A free set of tires would be nice.

SlimManFat
Nov 12, 2010

I'd really like to go to PEI but the cost is too great, especially with me going to trade school in the fall. Gas, lodging, Port aux Basque/Sydney ferry, food, etc would just kill my savings haha. I think I heard some rumors that some of the Bell Island guys are heading up though. I'll look into it.

Next event is on the 29th so I'll probably go beat on the Corolla again. Might borrow a friends go-pro too.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
I am bumping so its kept out of archives, but I went to PITL on Saturday. Lots of fun, a talented bunch, and its really well organized. Check it out if you are in the Toronto area.

As an aside, any recommendations for an AutoX brake pad? Or should I just stick with OEM Street pads?

Human Grand Prix fucked around with this message at 14:28 on Jul 21, 2014

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010

animeliker posted:

I am bumping so its kept out of archives, but I went to PITL on Saturday. Lots of fun, a talented bunch, and its really well organized. Check it out if you are in the Toronto area.

As an aside, any recommendations for an AutoX brake pad? Or should I just stick with OEM Street pads?

I had HP+ and HPS on my E30 STX car and they both worked great. HP+ are noisy as hell (I loved the sound, personally), eat rotors like a goon eats Cheetos and had the dust to go with the appetite, but after a couple hard stops bit like the devil and they never faded. I switched to HPS because I was doing brakes every 5k-10k miles. I got less initial bite but not by much, and everything else felt like a negligible loss in performance for my skill level. I also lengthened the replacement interval by double.

Muffinpox
Sep 7, 2004

animeliker posted:

AX6/HP+/HPS/RC5+ or a bit lower grade are good. Unless you're on slicks, you're codriving the car, or the stock pads are total poo poo, OEM should be fine though. Brakes don't get a huge workout at autox otherwise.

Crustashio
Jul 27, 2000

ruh roh
OEM has never failed me for autox, and that includes 100 second courses on a track with 80ft elevation changes. This is on an e36 m3.

I tried HPS once and absolutely hated them. They had the overall braking power of OEM but the initial bite sucked.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Beach Bum: I thought you had a Miata?

I like the HP+ for the street and autox. They dust, they make noise, they stop. I didn't have the rotor eating, though.

Avoid the HPS, it's a poo poo pad.

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010

Phone posted:

Beach Bum: I thought you had a Miata?

I like the HP+ for the street and autox. They dust, they make noise, they stop. I didn't have the rotor eating, though.

Avoid the HPS, it's a poo poo pad.

I have a Miata now, but I used to have a bit of a beast of an E30. I'd eat up a lot of newer cars in STX simply because I knew how to drive and had my car set up properly. Then a goddamn minivan pulled out in front of it :argh:

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Muffinpox posted:

AX6/HP+/HPS/RC5+ or a bit lower grade are good. Unless you're on slicks, you're codriving the car, or the stock pads are total poo poo, OEM should be fine though. Brakes don't get a huge workout at autox otherwise.

AX6 as fantastic bite. Note that they are dusty as hell and kind of noisy. They act like a track pad for most purposes except they are designed for street type temps.

Sadi
Jan 18, 2005
SC - Where there are more rednecks than people

animeliker posted:

I've been trading 1st and 2nd in ES this season running OEM pads on my miata. My times typically pax me in the lower 50% of our pro class. I had hp+ and HPS combo before. I didn't like it. They were both too much compromise for me. I'd run track only pads on the track and oem on autocross.

GOD IS BED
Jun 17, 2010

ALL HAIL GOD MAMMON
:minnie:

College Slice
I'm using HPS pads and wanna echo complaints about weak bite in. They brake fine, but the lack of initial bite does not inspire confidence. Going back to OEM after these are done.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

I've never heard of a fatality at an autocross before, this is a pretty sad, feel really bad for the family.

http://www.dallascarcrash.com/14-year-old-kierstin-eaddy-killed-in-go-kart-accident-at-tms/

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010

The Locator posted:

I've never heard of a fatality at an autocross before, this is a pretty sad, feel really bad for the family.

http://www.dallascarcrash.com/14-year-old-kierstin-eaddy-killed-in-go-kart-accident-at-tms/

This really hit us hard down here in Dixie because we had a junior carter ram into the back of her parent's S2000 coming off the finish through grid around to the start. I was working course and I heard the announcer suddenly pause and yell "SOMEBODY CALL 911" over the PA. For a half second I thought it was a joke and then realized that this guy would never joke about something like this. The little girl was just fine afterward, hardly remembered the incident, but it was a very harrowing moment for all of us in attendance. One of the guys first on the scene told me that when he first got there, she wasn't moving or making noise and her neck was bent over the seat back with her chin jammed up against the bumper. About 5 seconds later she started screaming and the dude said it was the most welcome noise he could have heard right then. Side note: I have never seen the bumper of an S2000 detached so quickly as having three mechanics under the rear end all at once working like mad to free this girl.

We suspended all junior carts activities until the investigation concluded and from then on used stop boxes that all juniors had to use coming off course and a rather rigorous pre-race training course by the junior cart safety steward.

Beach Bum fucked around with this message at 23:07 on Jul 23, 2014

TrueChaos
Nov 14, 2006

We don't let karts run.

lovely about the death, first I've ever heard of a fatality at an autox.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Our site isn't good for karts, so we don't have them either, and we've never had anyone show any interest in Jr. Karts.

I've never been there, but I understand that TMS has a huge site with plenty of run-off, so a pretty good location for karts. Probably just one of those freak things that happen in the world from time to time. Just sucks.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Holy smokes this year hasn't been good for autocross. Local hero and National DS Champion died last month after he collapsed literally minutes after setting FTD (he passed later that week) and now this 14 year old in the kart.

I'm not in an SCCA club, but we do allow karts and junior karts. When they run, no other cars are allowed on course. We also did the same thing for a guy who used to run his Formula Ford. If your knees are the crumple zone, we're not taking any chances.

FatCow
Apr 22, 2002
I MAP THE FUCK OUT OF PEOPLE

Phone posted:

Holy smokes this year hasn't been good for autocross. Local hero and National DS Champion died last month after he collapsed literally minutes after setting FTD (he passed later that week) and now this 14 year old in the kart.

I'm not in an SCCA club, but we do allow karts and junior karts. When they run, no other cars are allowed on course. We also did the same thing for a guy who used to run his Formula Ford. If your knees are the crumple zone, we're not taking any chances.

I don't think we allow junior karts at THSCC do we? I can only remember adult karts.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

FatCow posted:

I don't think we allow junior karts at THSCC do we? I can only remember adult karts.

I think one of the officers for NCR had his kids running around in karts for an event or two with THSCC. It was a while ago, though, and there was a lot of discussion about it.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Running Karts requires more clearance from obstacles with the course design, and the insurance cert has to be filed specifically to include karts. I think there are even more stringent requirements for Jr. Karts, but I've not been involved at that level for a couple years now, so I'm not certain.

In our case, unless someone specifically requested to be able to run a kart, we didn't file the insurance cert for karts so that we didn't have to worry about maintaining kart distance clearances on the course design. I'm sure lots of other groups with lot size clearance issues don't file their certs for karts for the same reason.

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5

animeliker posted:

You fool! Why didn't you say hi to the dufus running the googly Miata?

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Ziploc posted:

You fool! Why didn't you say hi to the dufus running the googly Miata?

I should have, we were in the same class IIRC. Entertaining car by the way.

Crustashio
Jul 27, 2000

ruh roh
Woo, another FTD.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vzPJz6iQgh8

Getting excited for canadian nationals now. Probably gonna get destroyed in PAX but it should be fun.

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5
We're pumped too. Prepare for the Ontario CS invasion. (All but one CS driver is local to me.)

Muffinpox
Sep 7, 2004
Did my first event with the new miata! I need to get the setup worked out a bit since the rear gives up far before the front, fastest STR car there was <5s quicker and on Z2s while the miata is on Z1s. I could have picked up a good 6-7 seconds over this run with the setup dialed in. It's gonna be craaaaazy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uVB6ncFHhV4

Muffinpox fucked around with this message at 03:23 on Jul 28, 2014

McDeth
Jan 12, 2005
Officially did my first auto-x over the weekend! I had ridden with my brother in a previous event but this was the first time driving my car. My car's not really set up for auto-x, but I still had a blast!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lq3PyPBsNX0

In-Car Video of my best run
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mdywn_EZCTA

All in all, I'd say it was a positive experience, although the guy running the event registration line was sort of an rear end in a top hat considering this was my first time ever registering for one and had a few questions.

I was a little concerned about the temps in an open-top car so I ran the first run of the day. I will definitely try to work first next time, as it's nice getting to see how other people are taking lines around corners before trying it yourself.

McDeth fucked around with this message at 21:18 on Jul 28, 2014

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

You drove a Cobra near the limits and survived. That's a success right there.

McDeth
Jan 12, 2005

IOwnCalculus posted:

You drove a Cobra near the limits and survived. That's a success right there.

I was pleasantly surprised at how much it DIDN'T want to kill me! On the street, I think I've only hit full throttle maybe once or twice, and definitely not while in a corner. I figured it wasn't worth the risk of hitting a wall or another car. It was nice to be able to open her up and let her engine roar :D

Chriskory
Aug 18, 2004

Back when I was actively driving I drove Akina even in my dreams
My friend beat me in my own car, despite his massive slide. I did backend a cone however.

First run is 53.2 +1 and his is second at 53.7

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Gk3b7KcoKQ

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5
No one is talking about SCCA Nationals?

Well I'll be there. Come say Hi to the curly haired Canadian at the Ontario, Canada tent. Beer exchange at the :canada: tent Monday night!

Going to get my rear end handed to me in a S2000 codrive in BStreet. #193 is me.

• Locked thread