Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mecca-Benghazi
Mar 31, 2012

http://conversations.nokia.com/2014/07/23/lumia-530/

quote:

At the heart, the Lumia 530 is powered by a 1.2GHz quad-core Qualcomm Snapdragon processor that delivers a super fast and lag-free user experience of your favourite apps, gaming and internet browsing on the 4-inch LCD display.
The Lumia 530 is designed with flexibility in mind.

Lumia 530 comes in both single SIM 3G and Dual SIM 3G versions, so if you're looking to ditch your second phone and consolidate your SIM cards into one phone, with the Dual SIM version you can.

Both versions are available in bright orange, bright green, white, dark grey. The shells are changeable so you can personalize your Lumia 530 to match your mood, or outfit.
The Lumia 530 Single SIM and Lumia 530 Dual SIM are expected to be priced at €85 before taxes and subsidies and on the highstreet for under €100. The Lumia 530 will be available globally, with rollout beginning in select markets in August 2014.
And if you go to the product pages, you'll note 512mb of ram, 4gb internal with up to 128gb SD, and on screen buttons. I don't think there's a dedicated camera button.

I think I'll actually find a way to get my hands on a dual SIM version; might be tricky in the US. And the flip covers look nice. The GSM version of the 520 sold for ~$130 in Vietnam, so this is a tiny bit cheaper if the prices are comparable

Edit: There's a page to compare the 520, 630, and 530: http://www.nokia.com/global/products/compare/?action=productcompareaction&products=3767942-3459516-2204302 :getin:

Mecca-Benghazi fucked around with this message at 10:06 on Jul 23, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Happy_Misanthrope
Aug 3, 2007

"I wanted to kill you, go to your funeral, and anyone who showed up to mourn you, I wanted to kill them too."
So less internal ram, slightly heaver, worse battery life, same ram, now non-IPS LCD (could it actually get worse?) than the 520

Hell of an upgrade.

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

I would guess it is the same screen, the rest of the table also somewhat inconsistently reports specs that are the same in different ways, such as 530 having "flash: -" and the 520 "flash: no" etc. Battery life will probably tend to average out better (standby rating is up) with a newer SoC as well. So the loss of internal storage is really the big downside.

e: Camera is now fixed-focus as well. Seems a bit weird overall, since the Android phones in the 520s price class are already really universally worse compromises than the 520, so little reason to cost-cut it further. Then again, if your best feature as a platform is that it scales down without much compromise I guess it would be a shame not to go for it fully.

Cybernetic Vermin fucked around with this message at 12:09 on Jul 23, 2014

rckgrdn
Apr 26, 2002

So that's how it's made...

LentThem posted:

Okay quick employment check: Xylo and thestoreroom, you guys still around? Probably too personal but I'm super curious.
Now that MixRadio is being spun-off as a separate business, I'll soon be leaving Microsoft - it's a shame, but speaking personally I think it's a great opportunity for us.

Being free from the imposed release schedules of device programmes will be a nice change, though I will miss playing with the prototypes ;)

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

Good luck to you! I am pretty happy to see it spun off really, it was hard to see it growing to potential if it were to be integrated and harmonized with some broader Microsoft multimedia vision.

LentThem
Aug 31, 2004

90% Retractible

thestoreroom posted:

Now that MixRadio is being spun-off as a separate business, I'll soon be leaving Microsoft - it's a shame, but speaking personally I think it's a great opportunity for us.

Being free from the imposed release schedules of device programmes will be a nice change, though I will miss playing with the prototypes ;)

True, this is probably better for you overall, for the reason Cybernetic Vermin gave.

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

it was hard to see it growing to potential if it were to be integrated and harmonized with some broader Microsoft multimedia vision.

Thanks, I forgot about Yammer.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004
If anyone is looking, I have a 822 and a 521 I'm looking to dump. I had 8.1 installed on both before I reset them. $100 and $50 shipped respectively. PM if you're interested!

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

Good luck to you! I am pretty happy to see it spun off really, it was hard to see it growing to potential if it were to be integrated and harmonized with some broader Microsoft multimedia vision.

Well, news sites seem to seizing on this part of the earnings call as the broader multimedia vision going away, so may very well have been a good move:

quote:

"With our decision to specifically focus on gaming, we expect to close Xbox entertainment studios and streamline our investments in music and video. We will invest in our core console gaming in Xbox live with a view towards the broader PC and mobile opportunity."

Not sure if this means that the services are going to close down or what.

Factor Mystic
Mar 20, 2006

Baby's First Post-Apocalyptic Fiction

Maneki Neko posted:

Well, news sites seem to seizing on this part of the earnings call as the broader multimedia vision going away, so may very well have been a good move:

Not sure if this means that the services are going to close down or what.

Joe Belfiore, on Twitter posted:

Don’t worry, no plan to drop Xbox Music/Video-- my team builds these key scenarios for tablets, phones, PCs! And Xbox team does on console.

Hey, it's been upgraded to a "key scenario"! Or it was always a "key scenario" and this dismal app is the benchmark by which Windows Phone can be judged. You decide!

Mecca-Benghazi
Mar 31, 2012

Good luck to you thestoreroom! :)

I think the 4 GB internal is the one that really sticks out but I also strongly suspect this is going to be positioned as a first smartphone, even more so than other Lumias, so it makes sense in that regard.

Ev
Aug 3, 2006
So apparently ATT has released 8.1 and the new firmware for the 1520? I'm going to see if I can update it in a minute, just hoping I don't have to downgrade to 8.0 first since I'm on the 8.1 Dev Preview.

Edit: I guess it wasn't ready or some poo poo, they pulled the post off their blog so gently caress knows what's going on.

Ev fucked around with this message at 18:58 on Jul 24, 2014

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003
Allegedly for people on Developers Preview they need to roll back to 8.0 before upgrading, or you can wait an indeterminate amount of time.

Rent
Jul 20, 2004
Steal the warm wind tired friend

Ev posted:

So apparently ATT has released 8.1 and the new firmware for the 1520? I'm going to see if I can update it in a minute, just hoping I don't have to downgrade to 8.0 first since I'm on the 8.1 Dev Preview.

Edit: I guess it wasn't ready or some poo poo, they pulled the post off their blog so gently caress knows what's going on.

My 1520 is getting an update now. :iiam:

Oh, it's to get 8.1 ready. Looks like it's doing 8.1 now.

Rent fucked around with this message at 23:04 on Jul 24, 2014

Doomsday Jesus
Oct 8, 2004

Doomsday Jesus we need you now.
The 1520 gets 8.1 first on ATT?

Rent
Jul 20, 2004
I've had 8.1 about 5 minutes and already furious at Xbox Music. I feel like a reddit meme

Already uninstalled about 12 games I don't really play, because now they litter my app screen. I just can't be happy I guess.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Rent posted:

Already uninstalled about 12 games I don't really play, because now they litter my app screen. I just can't be happy I guess.
Don't worry, I'm still mad about this too.

LentThem
Aug 31, 2004

90% Retractible
I don't even have any games on my phone because everything in the store is following the free-to-play model of "insert wait times for every user interaction which will temporarily go away if you pay us $$$".

Rent
Jul 20, 2004

LentThem posted:

I don't even have any games on my phone because everything in the store is following the free-to-play model of "insert wait times for every user interaction which will temporarily go away if you pay us $$$".

Yeah, I really hate this new trend. But I guess if it makes people money. I really hate how people balk at spending $4.99 on a mobile game, but will spend $20 on gems and coins over the lifetime of the game. It's invading PC gaming, too :(

ljw1004
Jan 18, 2005

rum

Rent posted:

Yeah, I really hate this new trend. But I guess if it makes people money. I really hate how people balk at spending $4.99 on a mobile game, but will spend $20 on gems and coins over the lifetime of the game.

99% of people also balk at spending $20 on gems and coins.

It's only 1.5% of people who make any in-app purchases at all. The rest of us get given a crummy experience in order to milk money out of these 1.5%.

http://games.slashdot.org/story/14/02/28/1848228/study-half-of-in-app-purchases-come-from-only-015-of-players

Stick100
Mar 18, 2003

ljw1004 posted:

99% of people also balk at spending $20 on gems and coins.

It's only 1.5% of people who make any in-app purchases at all. The rest of us get given a crummy experience in order to milk money out of these 1.5%.

http://games.slashdot.org/story/14/02/28/1848228/study-half-of-in-app-purchases-come-from-only-015-of-players

It's even crazier than that I don't have the source at hand but in well monetized F2P games it's actually .15% that's responsible for 50% of all revenue.

EDIT: Oops your source was the very study that .15% of all users are 50% of all revenue.

PlaneGuy
Mar 28, 2001

g e r m a n
e n g i n e e r i n g

Yam Slacker

Stick100 posted:

It's even crazier than that I don't have the source at hand but in well monetized F2P games it's actually .15% that's responsible for 50% of all revenue.

EDIT: Oops your source was the very study that .15% of all users are 50% of all revenue.

I wanna see a study about how much the "pain" contributes. Like if dungeon keeper mobile worked the same as on PC and then added gems for bigger bonuses/payouts/special things, would that 1.5% still pay? Is the game-torture actually a significant driver for revenue?

Mecca-Benghazi
Mar 31, 2012

Rent, since you're on AT&T: Does the data sense app work? Has it been neutered in any way?

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

Mecca-Benghazi posted:

Rent, since you're on AT&T: Does the data sense app work? Has it been neutered in any way?

WPCentral claims it does:

quote:

•Data Sense – Although everyone has Data Sense in the generic Windows Phone 8.1 OS Preview build, AT&T has never kept Data Sense on their phones for official releases. This restriction changes with the Lumia 1520, which now has Data Sense fully intact on the US carrier.

•Data Arrows – Data arrows have been present in the Windows Phone OS for quite some time, but they were a carrier option whether to enable. Our hunch is they are part of Data Sense, and as such, users can now see the little arrows when data is actively being transferred on Wi-Fi or cellular.

http://www.wpcentral.com/whats-new-lumia-1520-att-lumia-cyan-update

Ev
Aug 3, 2006
So this happened.

Zuhzuhzombie!!
Apr 17, 2008
FACTS ARE A CONSPIRACY BY THE CAPITALIST OPRESSOR
Couple things since upgrading to the dev preview 8.1

Battery Life is noticeably less. Not detrimentally so.

How the gently caress do I get FB to stop vibrating my phone?

Mecca-Benghazi
Mar 31, 2012

That lock screen beta app is working on devices with 512MB of RAM apparently, even though it originally wasn't supposed to.

Zuhzuhzombie!! posted:

Couple things since upgrading to the dev preview 8.1

Battery Life is noticeably less. Not detrimentally so.

How the gently caress do I get FB to stop vibrating my phone?
You should be able to go into Settings then Action Center, and where it says Facebook, turn off vibration, banners, and sounds. And turning it off completely would remove any alerts from appearing in the action center at all.

Charles Martel
Mar 7, 2007

"The Hero of the Age..."

The hero of all ages
Is the 8.1 update out for Verizon's Lumia Icon, or has it been pushed back?

Drastic Actions
Apr 7, 2009

FUCK YOU!
GET PUMPED!
Nap Ghost

:aaaaa:

Most of them do use local settings though, so that's pretty good.

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

Anyone else seeing big slowdowns from the lock screen beta? I'll get "Resuming" when I hit the power button for up to 5 seconds before the lock screen appears now, and it continues after the app is uninstalled. :(

Edit:

If anyone else has this, apparently you can fix it (after uninstalling the lock screen beta) by changing your lock screen to Bing and then back to whatever you want.

Maneki Neko fucked around with this message at 17:26 on Jul 26, 2014

Cream
May 6, 2007
Fett-kart
I have an annoying issue with the web browser on my 620. When I put in a search term or web URL, it freezes for up to 30 seconds. Is this usual? It's so annoying that if someone has another phone I suggest they do the search for me.

Charles Martel
Mar 7, 2007

"The Hero of the Age..."

The hero of all ages
I finally found a legitimate complaint about an app on the Lumia Icon: When I listen to mp3s on my phone in MixRadio through a bluetooth receiver in my car and I pause it in the middle of a song when I reach my destination, it skips to the next song instead of picking up where it left off when I get back in and press the play button. Then I have to manually go back to the last song and listen to it all over again unless I manually fast-forward to somewhere around where I remember the song was. I miss the ability to do that "scrubbing" through the music app on the iPhone too.

Oh, and I manually have to go to the next album in someone's discography too on MixRadio. The iPhone did that automatically as well as put them in perfect chronological order too.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Is there an app I can use to import a GPX or TCX file and have the phone do nothing more than display the route and my position relative to it?

Drastic Actions
Apr 7, 2009

FUCK YOU!
GET PUMPED!
Nap Ghost
An open beta of Awful Music is now on the Windows Phone Store!. This is a very very barebones version. Currently, it indexes your music, gets fresh Album and artist information, and let's you play music. There is a current playlist that persists on opening and closing the app. That's about it right now. There are still some issues I know about that I need to fix, but it's hopefully nothing major. Note that I expect major things to be busted.

One big thing I still need are icons. If anyone wants to help make some, just let me know.

This is not published yet on the store. Basically, I'm looking for some feedback on what I have so far, as well as how it handles on other kinds of devices, as I only have a Lumia 1020 and 521. Also, I want to know what changes I should make in the UI. The biggest issue that I know of is how the back button reacts. Based on how many XAML is laid out, I don't just the default page navigation features. I have to manage it myself. Sometimes that can result in not going back to the page you were thinking of. For example, if you go to the artists page, then to an album, then hit back, you go back to the Albums listings rather than the artist.

So yeah, please download it and let me know what you think, and how much worse it is than Xbox music.

wookieepelt
Jul 23, 2009
Awful music: It indexed music in the background, so that was nice. It looks good, and I really like the music bar on the bottom. I do have a bit of bad news though. The music doesn't play. I'm using a NL 1520 and I'm on 8.1 preview for developers.

Drastic Actions
Apr 7, 2009

FUCK YOU!
GET PUMPED!
Nap Ghost

wookieepelt posted:

Awful music: It indexed music in the background, so that was nice. It looks good, and I really like the music bar on the bottom. I do have a bit of bad news though. The music doesn't play. I'm using a NL 1520 and I'm on 8.1 preview for developers.

It's probably because the background process that plays the music did not start. I gotta throw an error when that happens, because it never should.
after its fully done indexing, restart the app and load the album again.

ljw1004
Jan 18, 2005

rum

Drastic Actions posted:

It's probably because the background process that plays the music did not start. I gotta throw an error when that happens, because it never should.
after its fully done indexing, restart the app and load the album again.

I use "Episodic" to play audio. It quite often puts up a banner at the top of the screen saying "The background music player failed to start". It reeked to me of a flakey OS API, and a frustrated developer who was getting bad reviews, and therefore had to surface some kind of message to mollify people.

Drastic Actions
Apr 7, 2009

FUCK YOU!
GET PUMPED!
Nap Ghost

ljw1004 posted:

I use "Episodic" to play audio. It quite often puts up a banner at the top of the screen saying "The background music player failed to start". It reeked to me of a flakey OS API, and a frustrated developer who was getting bad reviews, and therefore had to surface some kind of message to mollify people.

Right now I'm facing two major challenges that I need to conqueror before I can do anything else. The first is getting the indexing right. It works fine on the first run, but if you, say, delete or remove a single track, right now it has to go through the entire collection again to add or remove that track. I can't rely on things like last modified date (which produces garbage or inconsistent dates for some reason) so I have to think of better ways to handle this. This is mostly down to me figuring it out.

Now that Background Media API... :suicide:. It's such a pain in the rear end.

I can understand why they wanted to move all the audio stuff off to a separate task, since it lets the app itself suspend or get canceled and let the music play, but managing this process is nuts. As far as I can tell, and I hope I'm wrong here, you can't register background audio tasks like you can with regular background tasks. This means I can't check on app load that the process is still running. Mirosoft's example solution has the process save a "load" and "unloaded" state to local storage, which the foreground app can read to see if the background task is loaded.

gently caress that

You can't rely on that. What happens when a user kills the foreground task on their own? The background task is still running, but the foreground app can't tell the background process what's going on. So when you reload the app, you have a 50/50 shot of the foreground process actually finding the audio task. Sometimes it thinks it's there and tries to run something from it. In this case, we're okay because all that does is start the background process... but it does not send our message, so that results in what probably (hopefully) happened to wookieepelt. The app thinks music is playing, but the music was not sent to the process.

At least now I understand how the Xbox music app can get so confused if you play around with the UVC enough. Even they can't figure it out.

Jeherrin
Jun 7, 2012
Download it. 9/10 so far. Love the presentation overall. Phone posting right now, but will make some more in depth comments tomorrow from a more UX perspective- though I appreciated it is early days yet!

Already replaced xbox music with your app on the home screen, though.

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

I will be gone, but not forever.
I'm like 500 posts behind on this thread so maybe its been covered before, but the last couple of times I've sync'd music to my 920 running the 8.1 preview it hasn't updated the music in the Xbox music app. I can't find a way to force it. I've tried everything I could think of without luck. I'm using the Windows Phone for Desktop app FWIW.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LentThem
Aug 31, 2004

90% Retractible

Drastic Actions posted:

The background task is still running, but the foreground app can't tell the background process what's going on. So when you reload the app, you have a 50/50 shot of the foreground process actually finding the audio task.

Aha! This explains the problem I've noticed in the now-outdated Casts podcast app. If you resume the app while something is playing, there's a 50/50 chance the Now Playing screen won't appear anywhere in the app. The only way to fix it is to tell the app to start playing a different podcast, then go back to the previous one.