Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

N. Senada
May 17, 2011

My kidneys are busted

LeJackal posted:

smiley post

Wait, this isn't a joke post?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

muscles like this? posted:

Now, I only watched the first episode of The Mentalist but unlike Psych where they explain where Shawn gets all his clues, The Mentalist guy would just say stuff and people would go "wow, you're right!"

It could have just been a first episode thing but it was enough to make me not want to watch the show.
Patrick Jane solves crimes almost exactly the same way as Sherlock Holmes. You usually do get an explanation of whatever clues he used to solve it, but they're very rarely actually enough evidence for a real person to have figured it out. Like how Sherlock Holmes could tell that a man was unmarried because his hat was dusty or whatever. They don't always go through everything in detail, but they generally do show you what the clues were.

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

Service Desk B-b-bunny...
How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?

N. Senada posted:

Wait, this isn't a joke post?

It's a gross misrepresentation, and at no point does Patrick Jane get a cop killed. I also don't remember him ever putting peanuts in any guns. He does remove bullets occasionally. Really, it's not a bad show if you remember, he's not a cop, and he doesn't actually care about proof, just about being the smartest guy in the room.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Avenging_Mikon posted:

It's a gross misrepresentation, and at no point does Patrick Jane get a cop killed. I also don't remember him ever putting peanuts in any guns. He does remove bullets occasionally. Really, it's not a bad show if you remember, he's not a cop, and he doesn't actually care about proof, just about being the smartest guy in the room.

This is also the best way to watch House because even though that is the case, House always ends up being right and so he wins out in the end even if he pulls six-degrees-of-separation levels of logic in the final diagnosis.

I can think of maybe half a dozen times when he made the final diagnosis and then was wrong, and one of those is because he got shot and the whole episode was a hallucination.

Leper Residue
Sep 28, 2003

To where no dog has gone before.

Silver Falcon posted:

Fine, fine. I don't even care about The Mentalist. I was just pointing out that whatever the dude does isn't magic. That's it!

Since I now feel compelled to contribute, here's one for you. Happy Feet. Every musical number in Happy Feet.

Not that I don't like the music, precisely. They had Queen in there, at least... The deal with the movie is that each penguin has a "heart song" which is supposed to lead them to their ideal mate. Did they bother to compose some original songs? No. No, they did not. That's what irritates me about it.

It doesn't even make sense in-universe because where would a bunch of penguins in Antarctica ever hear about Queen or whatever? It was just lazy. The movie would have been so much better with some original songs.

The thing that got me about Happy Feet is that it opens with loving Salt n' Pepas "Lets Talk about Sex" except they replaced sex with eggs. How is this in any way appropriate for a loving childrens movie? Seriously, Lets Talk about Sex. Rated PG.

Stottie Kyek
Apr 26, 2008

fuckin egg in a bun

CJacobs posted:

This is also the best way to watch House because even though that is the case, House always ends up being right and so he wins out in the end even if he pulls six-degrees-of-separation levels of logic in the final diagnosis.

I can think of maybe half a dozen times when he made the final diagnosis and then was wrong, and one of those is because he got shot and the whole episode was a hallucination.

My mam's a doctor, and it's sometimes fun to watch House with her. She says the final diagnoses are usually pretty accurate (except the stupid one where they gave a guy ECT to erase his memories), but the diagnoses they try along the way often don't make any sense, or aren't the first one you'd usually try.

Leper Residue posted:

The thing that got me about Happy Feet is that it opens with loving Salt n' Pepas "Lets Talk about Sex" except they replaced sex with eggs. How is this in any way appropriate for a loving childrens movie? Seriously, Lets Talk about Sex. Rated PG.

I've never sat through a whole one of the new Transformers movies, but the trailers and clips they show on movie review shows have some really leery creepshot-like framing of any time a woman shows up, and swearing censored by loud crashes and bangs, so characters say things like "clusterf-" *CRASH*. It's about what you'd expect from a big sleazy Hollywood movie, but these movies are supposed to be about those wee toys that folded into other toys that we all played with as kids! It'd be like a Clangers movie where they contact the US and Soviet space programs and the rest of the thing turns into a gritty Cold War movie. Or Postman Pat dealing with public sector strikes and police brutality.

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

Avenging_Mikon posted:

No I think I remember it and it does get a police officer killed as that is then a setup for why the local pd don't turn up later when someone gets abducted or something.

Anyway, the whole point of that bit was really that Jane has gone off the rails and doesn't even pretend to think about the possibility of being wrong.

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

So your plan is for half of us to die?

Hot Rope Guy

Stottie Kyek posted:

My mam's a doctor, and it's sometimes fun to watch House with her. She says the final diagnoses are usually pretty accurate (except the stupid one where they gave a guy ECT to erase his memories), but the diagnoses they try along the way often don't make any sense, or aren't the first one you'd usually try.
Yeah but isn't House running the "If in doubt: gently caress about" wing of the hospital? People only get sent to him when the proper doctors run out of ideas.

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

Pilchenstein posted:

Yeah but isn't House running the "If in doubt: gently caress about" wing of the hospital? People only get sent to him when the proper doctors run out of ideas.

There was the one episode where they lost a patient to a simple staph infection, just because they weren't looking for something simple. Was it ever lupus? That was always the :25 minute diagnosis, never the correct one.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

AFewBricksShy posted:

Was it ever lupus?

There was an episode where, yes, it was lupus. It was suggested way early on in the episode and House shot it down because it's never lupus. :rolleyes:

My favorite missed diagnosis thing on House was the episode with the blind dude. The key symptom that brought everything together went unnoticed by the team because it was an eye issue, which they did not look at because the dude didn't have working eyes in the first place. It was somehow equal parts realistic and unrealistic that they wouldn't catch it.

CJacobs has a new favorite as of 14:07 on Jul 24, 2014

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no glitter in the gutter~
~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

AFewBricksShy posted:

There was the one episode where they lost a patient to a simple staph infection, just because they weren't looking for something simple. Was it ever lupus? That was always the :25 minute diagnosis, never the correct one.

Once, I think. They definitely got some mileage out of the "it's never lupus" joke until then.

edit: beaten, oh well, at least it's not lupus

Torquemadras
Jun 3, 2013

Leper Residue posted:

There was something like that in the kiddie animation movie Ice Age 2 as well. Basically, this mammoth is lead to believe he's the last of his species, which is his Problem Of The Day (tm). He meets a female mammoth, which is obviously set up to be his love interest. One of the first things he says to her? "Hey, wanna save our species?"

Even the 10-year old that dragged me into that movie knew what that was all about.

it's mammoth loving

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire
Kids understand that it takes a boy a girl to make a baby, even if they're a little hazy on the details.

KoB
May 1, 2009

AFewBricksShy posted:

There was definitely an episode or two that mixed it up. There was at least one where they figure it out fast and then gently caress about the rest of the episode.

ShinyBirdTeeth
Nov 7, 2011

sparkle sparkle sparkle

RagnarokAngel posted:

Kids understand that it takes a boy a girl to make a baby, even if they're a little hazy on the details.

Or some frog DNA under the right circumstances.

bobua
Mar 23, 2003
I'd trade it all for just a little more.

What is the appropriate age to mention to children that birds make(fertilize for the pedantic) eggs by having the sex? (Pg-)13 seems a little late.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

I knew how baby making worked about three years before I learned Santa Claus wasn't real. Like telling a kid they're adopted, demystifying the process early doesn't hurt.

Ratoslov
Feb 15, 2012

Now prepare yourselves! You're the guests of honor at the Greatest Kung Fu Cannibal BBQ Ever!

CJacobs posted:

There was an episode where, yes, it was lupus. It was suggested way early on in the episode and House shot it down because it's never lupus. :rolleyes:

The reason behind 'it's never lupus' is that lupus is a rare genetic autoimmune disease with no consistent profile of symptoms, so essentially any random collection of symptoms could potentially be lupus. Saying 'It's lupus!' would be the lazy dumb answer, which House was supposedly trying to avoid.

(This doesn't excuse House for being Lazy Writing: The Medical Diagnosis Drama, but that's what the catchphrase means.)

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

bobua posted:

What is the appropriate age to mention to children that birds make(fertilize for the pedantic) eggs by having the sex? (Pg-)13 seems a little late.

My parents showed me a video of a childbirth with the head crowning & all when I was I guess like 3 or 4. As I recall there were also some discussion of male/female anatomy and the whole process coming before the actual birth. But that was Denmark in the early 1980s.

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

bobua posted:

I dated a man in his late 20s who thought birds fertilize their eggs the way fish do. I guess there was no Happy Feet for his generation.

Anil Dikshit
Apr 11, 2007

LITERALLY A BIRD posted:

I dated a man in his late 20s who thought birds fertilize their eggs the way fish do. I guess there was no Happy Feet for his generation.

Why didn't you show him how?

Leper Residue
Sep 28, 2003

To where no dog has gone before.

RagnarokAngel posted:

You want to tell your kids about sex and bird sex, that's fine. That's not even what I have the issue with.

I rewatched it again, but Happy Feet has a bunch of really weird poo poo in the beginning intro. From prince, to Salt N Peppa, but it's basically about a whole bunch of guy penguins wanting to gently caress a girl penguin and I just couldn't believe what I was seeing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EcHTn5HXSK0

Also Robin Williams character is called Lovelace.

LeJackal
Apr 5, 2011

Leper Residue posted:

You want to tell your kids about sex and bird sex, that's fine. That's not even what I have the issue with.

I rewatched it again, but Happy Feet has a bunch of really weird poo poo in the beginning intro.

If you had seen The Pebble and the Penguin you would not be complaining about the hosed-up sexualized dance numbers in Happy Feet.

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL
I didn't like happy feet because penguins are some of the most visually uninteresting animals ever.

Krypt-OOO-Nite!!
Oct 25, 2010

Dr_Amazing posted:

I'm not asking him to explain internal combustion or anything. He just seems strangely confused by things he sees everyday. It's like showing someone from our time a record player, and he starts yelling about ghosts of musicians being trapped inside a magic disc.

I got to take umbrage with this.
It's been a while since I watched Thor so forgive me if I'm wrong but as far as I can remember at no point do they do the wacky man out time thing with him shouting about horseless carriages or magic viewing box or anything like that.

He act's like a dick and unused to normal culture and try's to buy a horse out of a pet shop (which makes total sense when you think about it.)and he seems unable to drive or has any road sense but he seems fine with technology and unsurprised by it apart from maybe not being used it looking like it does.

My irrational irritation with Thor is those two arseholes that call what is obviously a giant hammer "some kinda satellite".

Oh and the whole of Happy Feet could go in this thread, gently caress that movie. In my opinion it's even shittier than Bee Movie.

Krypt-OOO-Nite!! has a new favorite as of 14:11 on Jul 25, 2014

Eau de MacGowan
May 12, 2009

BRASIL HEXA
2026 tá logo aí
Happy Feet is directed by the guy who directed the Mad Max movies.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Leper Residue posted:

I rewatched it again, but Happy Feet has a bunch of really weird poo poo in the beginning intro. From prince, to Salt N Peppa, but it's basically about a whole bunch of guy penguins wanting to gently caress a girl penguin and I just couldn't believe what I was seeing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EcHTn5HXSK0

Also Robin Williams character is called Lovelace.

I mean, you get that "lets talk about sex" and Prince used to be played on the radio, right? Without being bowlderised to "lets talk about <whatever they said in the dancing penguin movie>". I'm sorry tipper gore, but I really think the ship has sailed on "Bringing up your kids as if they live in some imaginary pseudo victorian bubble where table legs are covered up in case that makes you feel weird in what, if absolutely forced to by circumstances you would refer to as your unmentionables".

And if you associate Lovelace with Linda before Ada, then I think that says more about you than the movie to be honest.

made of bees
May 21, 2013

SiKboy posted:

I mean, you get that "lets talk about sex" and Prince used to be played on the radio, right? Without being bowlderised to "lets talk about <whatever they said in the dancing penguin movie>".

Eggs.

I am almost certain it was 'let's talk about eggs'

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
What weirded me out about Happy Feet was that the main girl penguin wanted to marry/mate with the main boy penguin, who still had all the baby penguin markings despite being an adult. Yes yes his egg was dropped he was the odd one, but really made me go Huh.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

It's okay, even though he looks like a child, he's actually an adult! There's nothing weird about being attracted to an adult in a child's body.

Stayne Falls
Aug 11, 2007
Everything was beautiful

SiKboy posted:

I mean, you get that "lets talk about sex" and Prince used to be played on the radio, right? Without being bowlderised to "lets talk about <whatever they said in the dancing penguin movie>". I'm sorry tipper gore, but I really think the ship has sailed on "Bringing up your kids as if they live in some imaginary pseudo victorian bubble where table legs are covered up in case that makes you feel weird in what, if absolutely forced to by circumstances you would refer to as your unmentionables".

And if you associate Lovelace with Linda before Ada, then I think that says more about you than the movie to be honest.

Note that the song "Let's Talk About Sex" is also literally about "hey talking about sex isn't weird. Everybody does it. Stop pretending it doesn't exist 'cause that's what makes it weird." There's something amazing about being able to miss the point that badly.

Lincoln
May 12, 2007

Ladies.
You people sure are getting excited about a terrible penguin cartoon.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
I was incredibly annoyed in the Avengers when Hawkeye was falling off the roof, and shot an arrow at some hosed up angle like up and to the right to how he was falling, but still managed to somehow make it go in a straight line to hit the building.

I know it's dumb, but it's a big budget movie and dammit, it's not like you didn't center the god damned camera on that shot anyway. How hard would it have been to just retake that shot and tell the actor "AIM AT THE loving CAMERA JACKASS".

And that, my friends, is the irrational irritation for the morning.

Esroc
May 31, 2010

Goku would be ashamed of you.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

I was incredibly annoyed in the Avengers when Hawkeye was falling off the roof, and shot an arrow at some hosed up angle like up and to the right to how he was falling, but still managed to somehow make it go in a straight line to hit the building.

I know it's dumb, but it's a big budget movie and dammit, it's not like you didn't center the god damned camera on that shot anyway. How hard would it have been to just retake that shot and tell the actor "AIM AT THE loving CAMERA JACKASS".

I just pretend that the MCU Hawkeye actually has a bullseye superpower. It makes those silly scenes easier to stomach.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Esroc posted:

I just pretend that the MCU Hawkeye actually has a bullseye superpower. It makes those silly scenes easier to stomach.

Hawkeye is the comedic relief, right?

Supreme Allah
Oct 6, 2004

everybody relax, i'm here
Nap Ghost
He's the only character without any funny moments that I can recall, now that you mention it.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
You and I remember Budapest very differently.

Seventh Arrow
Jan 26, 2005

Supreme Allah posted:

He's the only character without any funny moments that I can recall, now that you mention it.

I think it was a MASH reference :thejoke:

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

They missed an opportunity with Hawkeye when he said that if put an arrow in Loki's eye socket, he would sleep better. When he gets his shot, the arrow would have hit Loki in the neck or jaw area had he not caught it in mid-air.

And that reminds me of the scene in Jedi where Han gets Lando to promise to bring the Falcon back without a scratch. You half expected the Falcon to be destroyed, but it comes back without its radar dish and Han says nothing.

Mister Kingdom has a new favorite as of 21:45 on Jul 27, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

razorrozar
Feb 21, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Mister Kingdom posted:

They missed an opportunity with Hawkeye when he said that if put an arrow in Loki's eye socket, he would sleep better. When he gets his shot, the arrow would have hit Loki in the neck or jaw area had he not caught it in mid-air.

And that reminds me of the scene in Jedi where Han gets Lando to promise to bring the Falcon back without a scratch. You half expected the Falcon to be destroyed, but it comes back without its radar dish and Han says nothing.

Return of the Jedi had a lot of problems, tbh.

I am irritated by Ewoks. Is that irrational?