Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kobayashi
Aug 13, 2004

by Nyc_Tattoo
This is a fun thread. Love the pictures.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug

Kobayashi posted:

This is a fun thread. Love the pictures.

Thanks, here's a couple more since I was phone posting yesterday.

This week I have another distracting project, as I mentioned a few posts ago my wife's cousin is giving us their kid's swingset/playhouse thing, so I'm tasked with getting that moved later in the week. Saturday I got the leaves raked up in the area I cleared before with the chainsaw and the ground actually looks pretty level there, so I'm hoping I don't have to do a whole lot with that. I'm planning on doing a lot of sanding/staining since it's all original wood and 10+ years old. The decking is shot for sure so I'll need to replace that.

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug
Started disassembly of the playset last night, the bad news is that it's going to require more disassembly than I originally thought, the good news is that I won't have to rent a trailer to move it. It took me about two hours to get to this point since I forgot some tools. If I had my drill-to-socket adapter I would have had this thing taken apart in half the time.

I've asked some guys from work if they want to help me thursday in return for pizza and beer, it should be a quick move.

I'm going to end up replacing a bunch of the lumber, some of it's pretty bad. I contemplated building from scratch but I don't think I'm going to do that, at least right away. The top playhouse thing is going to come off as one piece, I'm planning on putting that on our deck so my son can play in that while I work on the rest of it (no real hurry).

Atmus
Mar 8, 2002
That IS a pocket door, right? How hard was the install? I'm thinking of doing that for my closet and bathroom in my basement (and would for the entrance, if I could make it secure).

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug

Atmus posted:

That IS a pocket door, right? How hard was the install? I'm thinking of doing that for my closet and bathroom in my basement (and would for the entrance, if I could make it secure).

Yes it's a pocket door, this is the one I got and would recommend it, it all seems to be of good quality and the instructions were good, it even shipped free.

It wasn't hard, though you'll want a good 4' level and some patience. My rough opening isn't quite plumb so I'm going to have to shim the jamb out quite a bit to make the finished opening just right.

Cobalt60
Jun 1, 2006

dreesemonkey posted:

Made this today to sum up my shopping trip from yesterday:

Nothing to contribute, just posting to say I love this image and saved it to my desktop for the inevitable & innumerable failed visits.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
That's pretty accurate about Home Depot, too.

Find a local lumberyard and buy there instead. Seriously. I used to spend an hour pawing through the ZZZZ grade lumber at Lowes/HD for a dozen good 2x4s... then I went to the local yard. I grabbed the first dozen off the top of the pallet. The worst one in the whole lot was better than the best I found at Lowes/HD, ever. And guess what? They cost about the same!

Atmus
Mar 8, 2002

dreesemonkey posted:

Yes it's a pocket door, this is the one I got and would recommend it, it all seems to be of good quality and the instructions were good, it even shipped free.

It wasn't hard, though you'll want a good 4' level and some patience. My rough opening isn't quite plumb so I'm going to have to shim the jamb out quite a bit to make the finished opening just right.

That's the one I was looking at, actually. Thanks.

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug
A group of guys from work helped me move the playset yesterday, it went very well other than me stepping in dogshit. We were able to move the playhouse part and the rest of the frame in tact with no further disassembly. It was less than an hour loading, moving, and unloading.

The frame in it's it's final resting place, more or less

We put the house part on the deck so my son can enjoy it in the meantime (bonus :frogout: chair)

Generally speaking, the gameplan from here out is:
- Level the spot with 4x4s for the frame to sit on
- Acquire some sort of decking material to redo the upper and lower decking.
- Possibly do some reinforcing with new lumber
- Sanding / restaining of the wood that's salvageable
- Build new railing so the ladder is the only way up

I'm not sure where this project falls on my priority list, but given how excited my son was when he saw it, I'm going to have to do it sooner than later.

Not Wolverine
Jul 1, 2007
More pics of :frog: chair plz.

Is your son old enough to help assemble the fort?

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug

Crotch Fruit posted:

More pics of :frog: chair plz.

Is your son old enough to help assemble the fort?

Don't get your hopes up:

No, he's only 2.5 so he won't be much help, but he does like hanging around when I'm working on stuff so it's all good :)

Yesterday I got some 4x4s so I could level his playset. It went much better than I thought, I got it close enough so it's probably about 1/2" out of level on the long side. Good-e-nuff.

Getting the first one level

Jumping straight to the money shot because I'm incapable of taking pictures while working

The weather was absolutely perfect yesterday, here's a shot from our deck as the sun was going down

Today I'm heading over to a local building center to see if they have any overstock composite decking on the cheap. I only need about ~70 sq ft or so. I also bought some railing materials at lowes so those are ready to go once the playhouse is back up there and I can determine how long it needs to be. I might be taking a day off of work this week to work on it, but we'll see.

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug
I took off work yesterday to work on the playset, it was one of those days where I underestimate how long things will take and assume I'll be able to get everything done ever. I thought I'd wrap the playset up in the morning, then start on powerwashing the deck or something else in the afternoon. Thanks to the weather and two trips to lowes I only really got the playset squared away.

Starting off, added a brace in the middle (I think this side was originally to be a sandbox or something

Here's a little trick I'm not sure where I learned to keep your joints uniform.

At this point it started raining. Tarp 1.0 worked in the light rain.

It started raining harder, Tarp 1.0 was not cutting it anymore. Found some pressure treated scraps that have been by our shed since we bought the place

Tarp 2.0 launched

The bottom decking done. I have to flip some of the boards over at some point, I didn't notice the stamping on the boards until they were down.

It's at this point I realized I miscalculated how much wood I needed. The bottom deck portion was resting on 5/4 boards inside the "4x4" supports, so they were 47 1/4" all the way down, naturally I bought 8' boards, simple! Well, the top decking sits on 2x3s OUTSIDE of the "4x4" supports, 56" total so I was way off. Unfortunately this way also generated a bit of waste. What I ended up doing is doing some staggered joints to make the most out of the wood I had, I did have to make a second Lowes run in the afternoon to buy 3 more boards, though. One 8' board would get me one 56" cut and then two 18 3/8" cuts or one 37 5/8" cuts. Still ended up with about 6" waste for each board.

Started work on the top, the first piece I notched around the outer supports.

The sun came out and this little spider bro was checking on my work, he loved the drill for whatever reason. Typically I'm not a spider fan, but this one was so tiny I couldn't help but try to be it's friend.

2nd level almost done, you can see some of the joints here. I put all the small pieces in the back because the ladder will be in the front and when my son climbs up I don't want any extra chance of splinters having the joints right there. Bonus delicious rum and coke in the picture.

Top done

Ladder mounted, sitting on a 4x4 for stability. Upper railing also put back into place. This is as much as I can get done before the playhouse is set back on top.

When the sun came out it was beautiful, we even got the sprinkler out. Unfortunately no pictures of that.

On an unrelated note, I got a new Galaxy S5 work phone Monday and I'm very happy with the battery life. I streamed spotify for probably 6 hours or so over 4G, and watched part of a top gear on netflix at lunchtime and by the time I finished up around 5 I still had 58% battery left.

Sir Cornelius
Oct 30, 2011

If those are black drywall screws, you're going to regret using them for this job. Not only will they rust to hell in days, they're also brittle as gently caress.

Atmus
Mar 8, 2002
They look like green decking screws.

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug

Sir Cornelius posted:

If those are black drywall screws, you're going to regret using them for this job. Not only will they rust to hell in days, they're also brittle as gently caress.

Atmus is right, they're green exterior-rated screws.

I don't have any pictures but last night I got the playhouse put back on top and I constructed the rear railing, finishing it in a downpour. Today at work I ran out and bought carriage bolts to get the slide mounted. So the slide and a small railing on the front above the ladder is all it needs yet and then my son is cleared for play.

In our bedroom remodel I started finishing drywall, though I just did the screw holes but this weekend I'll likely start some joints. I've dragged my feet long enough, it's about time I get back on course.

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug
Playset is done enough for now, the slide had it's maiden voyage on Saturday. My son loves it :)

Saturday/Sunday I started the tape coat in the room. It's taking me a good while, so I'm only about 2/3 done. Probably tonight I'll be back at it, making slow progress.

Friday I did a fun and quick project relevant to my organizational fetish - storage above the garage door. I got the idea from the garage journal forum, it's really a no brainer considering that space is typically wasted.

Space in question

Basic frame

My solution for working by myself, rest the frame on the right side, screw into the other

Screwed into place (It was not particularly square, but ehhhhhh)

Plywood down

Took me roughly 7 minutes to fill it all up with stuff that isn't used regularly

Pleased with the outcome, quick and easy project for about $40 in materials or something. Future plans are to build one on the other side of the garage door, as well as some lumber storage.

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug
Got some more finishing done yesterday, still working on the tape coat. The ceiling and some parts of the bathroom are what remain.

Tiglath III
Feb 25, 2005
Loving your work. Its a great feeling to be making progress.

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug

Tiglath III posted:

Loving your work. Its a great feeling to be making progress.

Thanks, you're putting me to shame with your house though, especially that bathroom you just finished. :drat:

I've been pretty much worthless the last few weeks, I developed a cold/cough and my wife and I had been plowing through the show Homeland (A++++, will watch again), so I didn't do anything with the room. Since we're all caught up with Homeland now, I was running out of excuses so it was back to it. I don't really have any pictures of progress since finishing drywall looks pretty much exactly the same. I'd say it's going reasonably well. Of course everything looks like poo poo until you start sanding, so I will refrain from freaking out about how terrible it's going to look.

This is as of last night, almost all of the first finish coat is applied, the last seams I have to do are the 3 butt joints on the ceiling. After those are done I will start the dreaded sanding, I expect that to take me 2-3 evenings of work

In slightly-house related news, my wife and family surprised me by getting me the grill I wanted for my birthday/father's day, which are on the same day this year. It was delivered Friday and I got it put together. Love it so far!

Completely off topic, my mom retired last week. I'm very proud of her! We went to their house for dinner on Thursday, and got subs from a newish place near where they live, it's called Taste of Philly and they have absurdly huge and crazy subs. Here is mine, the "Balboa" which is a cheesesteak with homemade cheese sauce, pepperoni and bacon. It was mammoth and I felt horrible after eating half of it. And then felt horrible after eating the second half of it the next day.

We're leaving for the beach in less than three weeks, so I've got a lot of work to do between now and then. I'd love to have the drywall done and ready for paint, but it remains to be seen whether or not I can keep my productivity up.

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug
Some slow progress happening. We had family up on Sunday for the father's day and my birthday double whammy, Tim (my sister's boyfriend) brought stuff to re-hook up the HVAC runs to the master bedroom and my son's room, as we took part of the ducting down to work on the plumbing for the new bathroom.

Extended the flexible ducts and cut in to the next duct up. The black extension in the foreground is what he added (and the one behind it)

I've been continuing work on the drywall finishing, the second coat is on except for the ceiling and the bathroom. I'm hoping to get that done tonight, though I still need to do the butt joints on the ceiling again so I'll have to wait for that. The ultimate goal is to have the finishing and sanding done by Thursday, but I don't think it's going to happen, there is still a lot of work to do in the bathroom.

On the bright side, Tim checked it out after I sanded the first coat and he thought I did an excellent job so that was a nice to hear.

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug
Just a quick checkin before I leave for vacation. The last of the major finishing is pretty much done, I put the last finishing coat on the butt joints last night. They're at least 24" wide, and being the first real butt joints I've done, I'm hoping they turn out well enough that it's not glaringly obvious. At this stage in the game I think they look good but I won't know until they're painted I guess. The remaining sanding is just the ceiling and the bathroom, so I should be able to wrap that up in a few hours when I get back from vacation.

I'm technically not done with the finishing, I need to get some fast setting drywall compound (I guess typically referred to as "hot mud") and fill in the gap between the drywall and the shower surround. The hot mud doesn't shrink or crack when it dries so that's why you use it. With that in place, I think I just flat-tape around the edges as usual. I think the hot mud is just used as a filler.

So the next steps to tackle when I get home:
- Sand ceiling and bathroom
- Hot mud around the shower
- Tape/mud around the shower
- Sand around the shower
- Wipe down walls
- Install shower drain :argh:
- Prime / Paint

After that I need to get stuff to finish out the bathroom (in floor heating junk, tile supplies), buy hardwood for the room, get all the trim, etc. Still plenty plenty to do, but I'm happy that the drywall finishing is coming to a close.

Since a post without a picture is not a post worth posting, here's Adam lounging on our first water blob experiment.

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug
Back from vacation and all kinds of busy. Work is insane, and I'm making steady progress on the room renovation. I've even managed to squeeze some freelance work in on the side (not really by choice, but oh well).

After vacation I picked up where I left off in the room. I've finished the sanding, priming and painting in the room and closet. The bathroom is still lagging behind. I'm happy to report, however, they drywall turned out great. I've had a few handy people pop in and they were all impressed with how it turned out. The butt joints on the ceiling turned out great as well, I can't see where they are at all :woop:

In the bathroom I've got the gaps filled in the shower surround and tonight I'll finish up the tape coat. After that I'm hoping to get the rest of the finishing coats done around the shower surround, and then the drywall will be all done, so then I can prime and paint in the bathroom as well.

We've made the decision to skip the in-floor heating in the bathroom. We're going to have some rug in front of the toilet/shower anyway, and I'd have to cut some new holes in the drywall / buy the stuff, etc etc so we're just deciding to skip it at this point.

lovely pictures, but here's where it's at as of now. May be hard to see, but the color is a light gray.

Here's what's left in the general order it will be done:
- Complete the drywall finishing/sanding in the bathroom
- Bathroom prime/paint
- Buy / install hardwood flooring
- Buy / prime / paint baseboard / casing / new solid core door / closet bi-fold door
- Jambs and jamb extensions / window sills
- Caulking / paint touchups
- Tile bathroom / install trim and fixtures
- Move in!

whalesteak
May 6, 2013

Lookin good, can't wait to see the bathroom.

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug

whalesteak posted:

Lookin good, can't wait to see the bathroom.

Thanks, it's going to be hard to photograph, but I'll try.

We were away for the weekend but when we got home and the wife and kid were napping, I hung the TV up on the wall, it's just what I was hoping for. We don't have cable or anything, so the chromecast will probably be it's primary use but in the few tests I did it worked great.

Tonight I'm going to wipe down the walls in the bathroom again, the drywall around the shower is now finished. Then I'll hopefully do the first coat of primer tonight.

whalesteak
May 6, 2013

dreesemonkey posted:

Thanks, it's going to be hard to photograph, but I'll try.

If you feel compelled to get everything in one shot I've used photostitch in situations where I had to photograph small spaces without a wide angle lens, and was pretty pleased with the results.

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug
Over the weekend I painted the bathroom (not quite as dark as the picture looks)

And bought flooring (3/4" x 3 1/4" gunstock oak)

I won't get to install the flooring until August at the earliest, it has to acclimate for a few days and I'll be in TX all next week.

This week I may do some small odds and ends, not sure how much I'll actually get done. I could:

- Cut jamb extensions
- Paint trim
- Build/prim/paint window sills
- Hang vanity light and mirror in bathroom

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug
I took yesterday off of work and puttered around on a few things at home.

I hung the bathroom light and the mirror, the surface mounted light really shows all the imperfections in the paint but at some point you just have to give in to the fact that I'm not a professional.

I painted a couple pieces of trim and started trimming out the windows. Unfortunately I didn't buy enough 1x3 for two window sills, so I unfortunately couldn't finish the trim.

Took a while to get the window sill right, but it fits pretty darn good

Sound_man
Aug 25, 2004
Rocking to the 80s
I like the dark color scheme between the bedroom and bathroom. Can't wait to get a place of my own that I can paint.

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug
The bedroom:
Well I'm back from my trip to TX and until yesterday, I haven't done poo poo in the room. My wife's off work this week and went to her dad's house for a few days so that meant I had yesterday evening to myself, so I finally started laying the floor.

A few rows in, working around the floor register

Trimmed a piece to transition into the closet

Where I stopped last night

I need to get more underlayment (aka roofers felt) to be able to get much further. I think this weekend I don't have any specific plans so hopefully I'll be able to get a bit more done.

General house stuff:
Before my trip I also built some 2'x4' shelves in my garage to get some more stuff organized. I love them and I'm already eyeing up another area that I might build some longer ones.

Car saga:
We also bought a new car last week, a 2015 Hyundai Sonata. It's the first new car for either my wife or myself. Getting the car was a good excuse to clean up the garage a bit.

Work:
Sucks a big fat one. Today we're starting the first round of our super duper important testing for the massive project I'm working on. We hired a consultant to do the extremely technical stuff that's way over my head and he's falling behind so I'm stressing out since I have no control. I hate relying on other people :( I came into work early today expecting an e-mail from our consultant which then I could do some more stuff with, but I have not heard from him.

I need to just get over it at some point, but I feel that I'm going to be attributed with either the success or failure of the project so I take things personally. My bosses are very supportive and understand the challenges of this project so I'm not going to get into trouble, but the project is basically my job so I want it to be successful, obviously.

Here's a bonus picture of me with a long horn steer

Cpt.Wacky
Apr 17, 2005

dreesemonkey posted:

A few rows in, working around the floor register

What are you doing for registers? It's probably too late but I put the same flooring in and used these flush mount registers:

They're sized to fit perfectly with 3 rows of 2 1/4" flooring. I was able to match the finish pretty well with about 5 coats of stain. I think it was Varathane Cherry, but I could check to be sure. The only minor issue is it protrudes maybe a 1/16th since it was probably intended to be installed with unfinished flooring and then sanded down flush before the stain and finish went on.

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug

Cpt.Wacky posted:

What are you doing for registers? It's probably too late but I put the same flooring in and used these flush mount registers:

They're sized to fit perfectly with 3 rows of 2 1/4" flooring. I was able to match the finish pretty well with about 5 coats of stain. I think it was Varathane Cherry, but I could check to be sure. The only minor issue is it protrudes maybe a 1/16th since it was probably intended to be installed with unfinished flooring and then sanded down flush before the stain and finish went on.

Wow that's really fancy. No, I'm totally going super lame/easy and just getting a white metal grate that sits in there. The bed is going to go over it anyway so all that hard work would be wasted :)

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug
Progress, goon sires.

Floor is in and looking good

Put up the closet stuff yesterday

Had a priming/painting party in the basement yesterday

Next steps are doorjambs, trim, and baseboard. I also need to prime and paint both solid core doors I bought, and paint the closet bifold door. Then it'll be on to caulking and paint touchups. I'm going to say it's likely we will move in before the bathroom is done since I'm going to have to rely on getting someone's help for that. I think my wife would like to have it all done before we move in, but there shouldn't be any kind of real mess we have to deal with for the bathroom.

I'm home with my son today who is recovering from a low grade fever, unfortunately I won't be able to get much of anything done but that's ok. When my wife gets home I may try and get the door jamb and trim up around the closet entrance and maybe the window sills and trim.

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug
I got some trim done last night, this is typically my favorite part of the room because it really starts to look good. While my son was napping I did a lot of measuring and cutting so I could just nail 'er in place when I was allowed to do loud things (and may I say an empty room with hardwood flooring is unbelievable loud to run my lovely air compressor in).

Here is where it's at now:

My wife is home with the boy today since daycare won't let him go if he's had a fever within 24 hours. We're hoping today is the last day we have to be home with him.

Next steps are to trim out the door frame inside the closet so I can do the baseboard in there and it'll be all finished except for touchups. I also need to paint the closet bi-fold so I can get that installed and done with. Priming and painting the solid core doors (bathroom, bedroom entry) will come shortly after. I'm not sure if I'll be able to easily pull off the pocket door with the split jamb in place so I'm going to try and paint that first.

Off topic:
We live in a natural gas boom area and yesterday they're starting their preparations for 3 wells within 1000' of our house. We had a helicopter hovering and flying around for a good 4 hours yesterday. Don't get excited, I talked to my neighbor who works in the gas industry and he said "Can't wait 'till those wells are producing so I can get my $8/mo". At least my netflix will be paid for :smith:

And since it's my thread, here's a picture of my cute kid, damnit

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug
I've always said that the small stuff at the end of the project is what drives me the most crazy. You're almost done and it's hours and hours of detailed bullshit when you're just ready to be done and have a break already. . This weekend I probably put in about 12 hours of work, and the only things I accomplished was:

Finished the trim in the closet
Hung some hooks in the closet for hanging poo poo on
Installed closet door
Caulked the closet
Primed bedroom and bathroom door
Painted bedroom and bathroom door
Hung doors (hanging a pocket door by yourself is not fun)

Here's where it's at now

Pretty bad picture of the baseboard in the closet

To do yet before moving in:
- Caulking everywhere
- Paint touch ups (ceiling/walls)
- Paint the window frames / door jamb extensions all over the place
- Buy/install blinds
- Buy a new dresser

MiamiKid
Dec 14, 2003
Just popping in to say I've enjoyed watching you work thru your projects and like what you've done with the place! How's the bathroom itself coming along?

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug

MiamiKid posted:

Just popping in to say I've enjoyed watching you work thru your projects and like what you've done with the place! How's the bathroom itself coming along?

Thanks MiamiKid, the bathroom is at a standstill right now since "I don't know what I'm doing and I'm scared". On the bright side, it's really not that far from being done. The biggest hurdle is I need to get the tile floor in. Since I haven't done this before, I plan on getting some help. One problem I have is it's most convenient for my handy friends to help during the week, and I'm so swamped at work I don't have time to take off despite having plenty of vacation time. I've been busying myself with things that I know how to do and can do by myself.

After the floor is done, I can get the rest of the fixtures in and plumbing hooked up, and on the shower I still need to connect the drain line. Oh yea, I guess i need to do a roof vent for the fan too. But that's all fairly minor stuff.

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug
Super short update, I finally put the door jamb and trim up around the bathroom door on the bedroom side. Looks pretty good!

I was going to do some caulking and maybe paint touchups last night but I wasn't feeling the best. Hopefully tonight I can get going on that.

Kobayashi
Aug 13, 2004

by Nyc_Tattoo
Is that a pocket door in the middle, and if so did you put that in, or was it already there?

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug

Kobayashi posted:

Is that a pocket door in the middle, and if so did you put that in, or was it already there?

Yep it's a pocket door, I put it in. Here's a few pictures of the process

I still need to put up "door stop" around the door jambs, but it's pretty much in place.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coasterphreak
May 29, 2007
I like cookies.
That looks classy as hell, good job dude.