Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
LaTex Fetish
Oct 11, 2010

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

Dude, Haruhi's 16. Totally different.

she's also a god

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~

Why can't paper magic have neat little glows around the mythic rare symbol? It looks so neat! "HOT poo poo RIGHT HERE!" it says.

Because the Power 9 sits at a level beyond Mythic so it gets to be special. :v:

It does look really neat though.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

LaTex Fetish posted:

thinking about picking a set of these to play with my infect deck. do you think these would be OK?

Only if you are okay broadcasting your lovely taste. (I'm not actually getting on the anime-hate bandwagon here, Haruhi is just really bad).

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

Cernunnos posted:

Because the Power 9 sits at a level beyond Mythic so it gets to be special. :v:

It does look really neat though.

I can't even envision my seething rage if Wizards decided to bring Special rarity to paper Magic products, or really, any other product ever.

neetengie
Jul 17, 2013

Shittiest taste in anime and video games.

LaTex Fetish posted:

thinking about picking a set of these to play with my infect deck. do you think these would be OK?

you're better off using touhou sleeves.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

neetengie posted:

Unironically this.

Gensuki
Sep 2, 2011

neetengie posted:

Have each sleeve be of a different character though.

Make it fancy.

LaTex Fetish
Oct 11, 2010

Gensuki posted:

Have each sleeve be of a different character though.

Make it fancy.

did you not read the rules, gosh. they all have to be the same

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy

Angry Grimace posted:

How many packs did you rip? The problem with MODO pack-ripping is that it has none of the visceral fun of ripping a real life paper pack and shuffling through the cards.

Just the one. And yeah, I would play paper Vintage Masters until my hands dropped off but y'know, reprint policy.

OneDeadman
Oct 16, 2010

[SUPERBIA]

Dude, Haruhi's 16. Totally different.

Why can't paper magic have neat little glows around the mythic rare symbol? It looks so neat! "HOT poo poo RIGHT HERE!" it says.

Why can't paper magic have all the fancy stuff from the Duels games. I want my pyroclasm to let loose a firey wave across the board.

BRB, becoming literally Kaiba Corp

Snacksmaniac
Jan 12, 2008

Just get 60-100 iPod touches or something. Have all the animated cards you want.

Snacksmaniac fucked around with this message at 00:22 on Jul 25, 2014

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

mfcrocker posted:

Just the one. And yeah, I would play paper Vintage Masters until my hands dropped off but y'know, reprint policy.

It's probably way too much to ask for WOTC to have some kind of animation for opening the packs where it doesn't just pop up a window with "here's your lovely bulk rare."

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

Just get a pokemon playmat and pokemon card back sleeves.

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~

OneDeadman posted:

Why can't paper magic have all the fancy stuff from the Duels games. I want my pyroclasm to let loose a firey wave across the board.

BRB, becoming literally Kaiba Corp

If you can find a good way to get the holograms working the rest is just getting RFID in the cards. And then manufacturing but :v:

LaTex Fetish
Oct 11, 2010

Dr. Stab posted:

Just get a pokemon playmat and pokemon card back sleeves.

lol this is actually pretty funny. Maybe do the same with yugioh sleeves. Every time I play a creature declare "I summon Glistener Elf in Defense Mode."

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

Snacksmaniac posted:

Just get 60-100 iPod touches or something. Have all the animated cards you want.

a more practical approach would probably involve an augmented reality overlay with something like google glass

edit:
though then we probably run into some implementation concerns where RFID makes everything way easier but also enables some pretty amazing new ways of cheating

LGD fucked around with this message at 00:26 on Jul 25, 2014

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~

LaTex Fetish posted:

lol this is actually pretty funny. Maybe do the same with yugioh sleeves. Every time I play a creature declare "I summon Glistener Elf in Defense Mode."

I want to load a Modern deck up with Traps and take it to Modern Night at my LGS now. So thanks for that I guess.

LaTex Fetish
Oct 11, 2010

LGD posted:

a more practical approach would probably involve an augmented reality overlay with something like google glass

wait, I remember something like this for the 3ds. I'm surprised wizards hasn't tried to cash in on the idea using the 3ds. especially with the yugioh cartoon around

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

cheetah7071 posted:

Only if you are okay broadcasting your lovely taste. (I'm not actually getting on the anime-hate bandwagon here, Haruhi is just really bad).

15 year-old me from 7 years ago wants to fight you.

neetengie
Jul 17, 2013

TheKingofSprings posted:

15 year-old me from 7 years ago wants to fight you.
has your taste improved over the years at least

LaTex Fetish
Oct 11, 2010

Cernunnos posted:

I want to load a Modern deck up with Traps and take it to Modern Night at my LGS now. So thanks for that I guess.

* in yugi's voice *

"Not so fast, Joey, but countering my monster you just activated my trap card. Now I get to look at the top 7 cards of my deck. Ah, yes! I summon Emrakul in defense mode! He has 15 attack and defense!"

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy

Angry Grimace posted:

It's probably way too much to ask for WOTC to have some kind of animation for opening the packs where it doesn't just pop up a window with "here's your lovely bulk rare."

Yeah, the crappy pack opening sound effect doesn't really cut it.

Basically, v5 needs to be Duels of the Planeswalkers good.

Dungeon Ecology
Feb 9, 2011

LaTex Fetish posted:

* in yugi's voice *

"Not so fast, Joey, but countering my monster you just activated my trap card. Now I get to look at the top 7 cards of my deck. Ah, yes! I summon Emrakul in defense mode! He has 15 attack and defense!"

(to self): Aghhh Kakarot...How can this be?! The POWER LEVEL!

*Google glasses shatter*

(wrong anime idgaf)

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

here, I think this is relevant to both conversational strands in this thread-

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gW2D_Votd2Y

truly the future is now

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

LaTex Fetish posted:

Doesn't work. Yu gi oh cards are too small.

Johnny Landmine
Aug 2, 2004

PURE FUCKING AINOGEDDON

kizudarake posted:

Holy poo poo, don't be the guy with the 12 year old anime chick on your sleeves.

My niece plays, and she's 11.

The hypothetical you may love you some lolis, but do you seriously have to put them on everything you own?

The question remains: do I teach her how to steal wins by calling a judge over anime boob alters?

I've seen some pretty heinous anime sleeves in my time, but there's a world of difference between the ones LaTex Fetish linked and the sort of sleeves that would be anything to call a judge over/worry about a kid seeing. I think we're all capable of exercising judgement and obviously the best judgement call is

neetengie posted:

using touhou sleeves.

OneDeadman
Oct 16, 2010

[SUPERBIA]

LaTex Fetish posted:

* in yugi's voice *

Just play Goblin Charbelcher and just do this

High House Death
Jun 18, 2011
First off, I will confess that I did not read all 576 pages of this thread, so I apologize off the bat if this question has already been asked.

I have played Magic several times with friends on and off, and I really enjoyed it. I am looking to start my own collection/decks, but I dont know where to start, so what is the best way to "break in" to MTG? Any advice would be appreciated.

LaTex Fetish
Oct 11, 2010

AmericanGeeksta posted:

First off, I will confess that I did not read all 576 pages of this thread, so I apologize off the bat if this question has already been asked.

I have played Magic several times with friends on and off, and I really enjoyed it. I am looking to start my own collection/decks, but I dont know where to start, so what is the best way to "break in" to MTG? Any advice would be appreciated.

hey bud, welcome to the magic: the anime thread. I'd suggest you go find yourself and a buddy a duel deck kit. They come with 2 decks (that you don't even need to shuffle!!!!) and some nifty rule information.

neetengie
Jul 17, 2013

AmericanGeeksta posted:

buy some anime sleeves
and then buy two modern decks, enjoy!

Really though buy the deck starters toolkit, those are usually in Hastings and such places, it has a good bundle of cards to start off with along with some booster packs of the last set. The Clash deck might interest you too, along with the Duel Deck series.

Minority Deport
Mar 28, 2010
I saw someone who got custom printed MtG-size sleeves with the YuGiOh card back, which is probably the only way to get those. Bonus points for having a Pokemon playmat and a WoW TCG-branded life pad.

Dungeon Ecology
Feb 9, 2011

AmericanGeeksta posted:

Cool, man. Welcome to Wizard Poker.
Duel Decks are a good place to start. Any store that carries Magic products will likely have them. They come with two pre-built decks, tips on how they both play, and I think a rules booklet or something.

Lunsku
May 21, 2006

AmericanGeeksta posted:

I would say playing Limited (draft, sealed) is a one good way to break in, in addition to duel decks, casual LGS and kitchen table games and like. It's a great fun (the best fun) in its own right, it builds up your card collection, makes you a better played and deckbuilder, and finding drafts weekly should be pretty easy if you have gaming stores that run magic around.

do u believe in marigolds
Sep 13, 2007
The worst crime is the Grumpy Cat sleeves I got were made by Ultra Pro and even after a few weekends of commander play the corners have started to come up. I don't think any other company makes them.

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

Minority Deport posted:

I saw someone who got custom printed MtG-size sleeves with the YuGiOh card back, which is probably the only way to get those. Bonus points for having a Pokemon playmat and a WoW TCG-branded life pad.

Star Trek Deck Building Game Playmat and Star Wars Sleeves.

OneDeadman
Oct 16, 2010

[SUPERBIA]

AmericanGeeksta posted:

A real easy way to get into MTG is to just buy one of the various pre-made decks with the colors that you like and just sort of building off of it by taking out cards that you don't like and adding in cards you do like.

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

There's only one type of card sleeve that I trust will remind the world how manly I am:

*combat stance pelvic thrusts*

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

...the person who says honestly that he despairs is closer to being cured than all those who are not regarded as despairing by themselves or others.
The Deck Builder's toolkit is a really good way to get started on having a Magic collection, I think, but if you want to just sit down and play a good set of Duel Decks is your best bet.

There's also the new Clash Pack which is like a set of duel decks that you can moosh together into one, different deck later.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!
Wasn't Haruhi the anime that got all the banners bought a few years ago about how it was a special good anime, or something?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dungeon Ecology
Feb 9, 2011

Lunsku posted:

I would say playing Limited (draft, sealed) is a one good way to break in, in addition to duel decks, casual LGS and kitchen table games and like. It's a great fun (the best fun) in its own right, it builds up your card collection, makes you a better played and deckbuilder, and finding drafts weekly should be pretty easy if you have gaming stores that run magic around.

I agree with you that Draft/Sealed is The Best Way to Play MagicTM, but you have to have a pretty strong grasp on the basics of deckbuilding before you wander into limited formats. I got pretty discouraged when I first started drafting because I didn't know what the gently caress I was doing, and got trounced by people who understood the limited environment.

• Locked thread