Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Busy Bee
Jul 13, 2004
I was involved in a hit & run accident about 3.5 years ago. I felt fine but I went to the doctor anyway to make sure everything was okay. I thought everything was fine and settled in terms of the insurance payment and such but a few weeks ago I received a letter from the "Calypso Subrogation Department". The letter says:

"The letter is to request that you bring us up to date with regard to this matter. Please complete the form and return it in the envelope provided.

If the claim has already settled, please provide the settlement date and contact us immediately to discuss resolution of the Plan's outstanding subrogation amount.

Additionally, if there is/was first party medical coverage available for this accident and that coverage exhausted, would you kindly forward a payment ledger to us. The ledger should include the provider name, date of service, amount billed and amount paid.

Thank you for your prompt attention with this matter. If you have any questions, please call us at the telephone number listed below."

I have no idea what any of that means. Could someone please explain this to me and do I owe these guys money?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Busy Bee posted:

I was involved in a hit & run accident about 3.5 years ago. I felt fine but I went to the doctor anyway to make sure everything was okay. I thought everything was fine and settled in terms of the insurance payment and such but a few weeks ago I received a letter from the "Calypso Subrogation Department". The letter says:

"The letter is to request that you bring us up to date with regard to this matter. Please complete the form and return it in the envelope provided.

If the claim has already settled, please provide the settlement date and contact us immediately to discuss resolution of the Plan's outstanding subrogation amount.

Additionally, if there is/was first party medical coverage available for this accident and that coverage exhausted, would you kindly forward a payment ledger to us. The ledger should include the provider name, date of service, amount billed and amount paid.

Thank you for your prompt attention with this matter. If you have any questions, please call us at the telephone number listed below."

I have no idea what any of that means. Could someone please explain this to me and do I owe these guys money?

Contact YOUR insurance company. If they are not part of YOUR insurance company I'd be very leery of sending out any information. If their name matches the stuff you received payment on then I'd reach out. Don't send ANYTHING to them until you know who they are and their relationship to your insurer

Wickerman
Feb 26, 2007

Boom, mothafucka!
Just wanted to provide an update: State Farm faxed Progressive a letter and everything has been resolved. I just wish it would've taken less effort. :)

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.
Insurance company changed their policy so with the same coverage I'm paying an extra $360 a year.

I've cut coverage down to the minimum amount I'd reasonably drive, but when I called and asked for an explanation, the CSR said that there'd be no change, that rates all across California rose. (Potentially due a law that tracks how long you've driven instead of flat age).

Is this true, or was I tricked by a wily rep? My monthly rate is insane considering I only drive 2-3 times a week.

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Golden Bee posted:

Insurance company changed their policy so with the same coverage I'm paying an extra $360 a year.

I've cut coverage down to the minimum amount I'd reasonably drive, but when I called and asked for an explanation, the CSR said that there'd be no change, that rates all across California rose. (Potentially due a law that tracks how long you've driven instead of flat age).

Is this true, or was I tricked by a wily rep? My monthly rate is insane considering I only drive 2-3 times a week.

It doesn't matter how much you drive for most insurance companies.Its sad but true, for most companies if you drive once a week or 5 days a week, your rate is going to be the same. That is why some companies have introduced SmartRide or SnapShot to look at your driving habits to more accurately measure your driving. Otherwise its just "but I barely drive!!!" against the stats and the stats are going to win every time.

As far as general rate increases, its possible. They happen all the time. An extra $360 is a lot though if you have a solid record. I'd shop around a bit if you're unhappy with your company. If your rates end up being close to what they are with your existing company then you know it wasn't a wily rep. Otherwise, change on over!

RebeccaBlackFriday
Nov 13, 2008

Jastiger posted:

It doesn't matter how much you drive for most insurance companies.Its sad but true, for most companies if you drive once a week or 5 days a week, your rate is going to be the same. That is why some companies have introduced SmartRide or SnapShot to look at your driving habits to more accurately measure your driving. Otherwise its just "but I barely drive!!!" against the stats and the stats are going to win every time.

As far as general rate increases, its possible. They happen all the time. An extra $360 is a lot though if you have a solid record. I'd shop around a bit if you're unhappy with your company. If your rates end up being close to what they are with your existing company then you know it wasn't a wily rep. Otherwise, change on over!

Actually California ratings MUST factor average mileage/year per the DOI. Discount-as-you-drive programs (Snapshot, Smartride, etc) aren't permitted in California due to the stringent rating structures for auto insurance.

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

RebeccaBlackFriday posted:

Actually California ratings MUST factor average mileage/year per the DOI. Discount-as-you-drive programs (Snapshot, Smartride, etc) aren't permitted in California due to the stringent rating structures for auto insurance.

Interesting, I did not know that. I knew many states had limits as far as ranges, say 0-8000, 8001-15000, etc. but not outright limitations. California is one of the few states I do not actively write in. Good information.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
HDHP/HSA question. I have a debit card that the HSA gave me but I forgot about it and have been paying for things e.g. medication with my personal credit card. I read somewhere before that as long as I have the receipts for up to three years I can make a claim against my HSA and withdraw the money back out. Is this possible and how do I do that?

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Boris Galerkin posted:

HDHP/HSA question. I have a debit card that the HSA gave me but I forgot about it and have been paying for things e.g. medication with my personal credit card. I read somewhere before that as long as I have the receipts for up to three years I can make a claim against my HSA and withdraw the money back out. Is this possible and how do I do that?

That sounds like a tax question to be honest. The law has changed a lot in the recent years regarding how these work. I am not sure about 3 years back, but if so, great!

Jerome Louis
Nov 5, 2002
p
College Slice
Are you still able to provide quotes? I am shopping around for auto and renters insurance since I am getting a bit annoyed at my current agent -- I'm located in CT.

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Jerome Louis posted:

Are you still able to provide quotes? I am shopping around for auto and renters insurance since I am getting a bit annoyed at my current agent -- I'm located in CT.

I can't do quotes directly unless you call into the company I work for specifically. I don't think its a good idea to put that number here though.

nbakyfan
Dec 19, 2005
I currently have insurance in KY, and I will be living in Florida for five months for an internship. In the event of a car accident or some comprehensive damage, will the insurance company get upset that my location is different? I will be down there for less than six months, and I pay my insurance in six month increments.

SiGmA_X
May 3, 2004
SiGmA_X

nbakyfan posted:

I currently have insurance in KY, and I will be living in Florida for five months for an internship. In the event of a car accident or some comprehensive damage, will the insurance company get upset that my location is different? I will be down there for less than six months, and I pay my insurance in six month increments.
You must tell the carrier when you move in-city, so I assume out of state definitely requires it.

SiGmA_X fucked around with this message at 21:43 on Jul 15, 2014

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

nbakyfan posted:

Ehhhhhhhhhh. If your vehicle is still registered in KY, they will likely still be fine. If it is time to renew and you're in FL and you still want a KY policy, I'd explain it to the company and make sure the coverage is still going to be there.

Generally insurance policies will allow for out of state travel and are more worried about which state you're in for MOST of the year.

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.
I live overseas and will be returning to the US next month. I want to get insurance before I arrive so that I won't have to get insurance from the rental car company, and so there's one less thing to gently caress around with while I'm trying to get my car back on the road. Will just any car insurance policy cover rental cars, or do I need to look at the fine print?

How about USAA and Progressive (I'll almost definitely be getting one of those two)? This will be in Arizona.

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

VideoTapir posted:

I live overseas and will be returning to the US next month. I want to get insurance before I arrive so that I won't have to get insurance from the rental car company, and so there's one less thing to gently caress around with while I'm trying to get my car back on the road. Will just any car insurance policy cover rental cars, or do I need to look at the fine print?

How about USAA and Progressive (I'll almost definitely be getting one of those two)? This will be in Arizona.

I would look into a Named Non Owners policy that provides coverage for you and not on a vehicle. It'll get you covered and will not only give you liability coverage, but also insurance so you can't be ticketed. If you OWN a vehicle you'll likely need to insure the vehicle on a standard insurance policy though., and the liability will follow you wherever you go. Be sure to ask specifically at the carrier you go with though!

ScooterMcTiny
Apr 7, 2004

Hope this is the right thread for this. I'm traveling to Mexico at the end of September and the hotel I'm staying at recommended travel insurance due to it being hurricane season. I've got no experience with this type of coverage, and am looking for a little guidance. Should I just add up the total cost of the trip and purchase insurance through AAA to cover it? Let me know if there is a better thread for this question.

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

ScooterMcTiny posted:

Hope this is the right thread for this. I'm traveling to Mexico at the end of September and the hotel I'm staying at recommended travel insurance due to it being hurricane season. I've got no experience with this type of coverage, and am looking for a little guidance. Should I just add up the total cost of the trip and purchase insurance through AAA to cover it? Let me know if there is a better thread for this question.

I don't handle travel insurance, but its absolutely a good idea. The more variables there are in the trip,t he better the idea is to pick it up. I know AAA offers it, so yeah, go for it.

Kung Fu Jesus
Jun 20, 2002

lol jews gonna get fucked.

VideoTapir posted:

I assume you are military so I'd go with USAA. I used to work there in auto claims and they always have very high customer satisfaction ratings. Since they are geared towards the military, they have certain benefits and are used to dealing with people who may be hard to reach or have odd hours or locations. I don't know if they are the cheapest(probably not) but they have members who have been with them for 50 years who love them. I would be with them still if I hadn't quit.

anne frank fanfic
Oct 31, 2005

Kung Fu Jesus posted:

I assume you are military so I'd go with USAA. I used to work there in auto claims and they always have very high customer satisfaction ratings. Since they are geared towards the military, they have certain benefits and are used to dealing with people who may be hard to reach or have odd hours or locations. I don't know if they are the cheapest(probably not) but they have members who have been with them for 50 years who love them. I would be with them still if I hadn't quit.

You can stay with them if you quit.

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
I currently have USAA auto insurance, so they aren't bad. I WILL tell you that they aren't always the cheapest if you're only after $$$. I would also shop around regardless. They are pretty good, but sometimes they can take you for a ride if you don't know what you're doing.

Kung Fu Jesus
Jun 20, 2002

anne frank fanfic posted:

You can stay with them if you quit.

Unless it changed, you had to work five years. I couldn't take it that long. I still use their bank though.

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
I've been out for years and you're still in. I think as long as you get in while you're serving, you're good.

HondaCivet
Oct 16, 2005

And then it falls
And then I fall
And then I know

A year or so ago I had a streak of bad luck. I swung my bumper into a pole and used my insurance to get that fixed as it was fairly serious damage. Then a couple months later I put a big gouge in the side of my car parallel parking (the thing I hit was fine). I was afraid of filing two claims so close together and it was just cosmetic damage anyway so I never reported it. Fast forward to this past weekend: my b/f's dad backs into my car and puts a gouge in the OTHER side of the car. They are being cool about getting it fixed for me so I'm taking it in on Wednesday. We both use Geico.

1) Will I get into any kind of trouble having unreported damage on my car? It will look kind of funny because the gouge I made is bigger and uglier than what my b/f's dad did.

2) Can you file a claim for damage this far after it happened? I don't know if there's typically a statute of limitations or anything like that.

Sorry if this is a dumb question, I'm just curious. Thanks!

Thesaurus
Oct 3, 2004

They insurance company won't care that you didn't report the gouge because it just means that they didn't have to pay out on it. A win for them.

However, if you claim that the gouge is a result of the car backing into you, then you'd be trying to scam them. Depending on how the accident is described, they might not know, but it's unethical because it would hit the insurance company/your bf's dad for more money that they weren't liable for.

This last point is important: when you damage your own car through bumping into something, it dings your policy (if you claim it and have comprehensive coverage). When your bf's dad backed into your car, it's his liability coverage that's paying for the damage, so your policy isn't negatively affected.

Generally speaking, if it's covered by your comprehensive coverage, you want to think about how much it would take to fix the damage and whether it's worth it to even file a claim. You'd need to take into account both your deductible and the potential increase in your future premiums. If it's less than your deductible, there is literally no point in claiming it. If it's just a little more, it's probably better to just take care of it rather than recoup a few bucks on the claim and have that on your record (and thus see higher future premiums).

If you don't want to ask for money for the gouge, just make sure that the mechanic/adjuster or whoever evaluates the damage knows it was there and doesn't take the gouge into consideration.

Thesaurus fucked around with this message at 23:45 on Jul 28, 2014

HondaCivet
Oct 16, 2005

And then it falls
And then I fall
And then I know

Thesaurus posted:

They insurance company won't care that you didn't report the gouge because it just means that they didn't have to pay out on it. A win for them.

However, if you claim that the gouge is a result of the car backing into you, then you'd be trying to scam them. Depending on how the accident is described, they might not know, but it's unethical because it would hit the insurance company/your bf's dad for more money that they weren't liable for.

This last point is important: when you damage your own car through bumping into something, it dings your policy (if you claim it and have comprehensive coverage). When your bf's dad backed into your car, it's his liability coverage that's paying for the damage, so your policy isn't negatively affected.

Generally speaking, if it's covered by your comprehensive coverage, you want to think about how much it would take to fix the damage and whether it's worth it to even file a claim. You'd need to take into account both your deductible and the potential increase in your future premiums. If it's less than your deductible, there is literally no point in claiming it. If it's just a little more, it's probably better to just take care of it rather than recoup a few bucks on the claim and have that on your record (and thus see higher future premiums).

If you don't want to ask for money for the gouge, just make sure that the mechanic/adjuster or whoever evaluates the damage knows it was there and doesn't take the gouge into consideration.

Oh no I wasn't plan on trying to scam anyone, sorry if I was confusing. I'd file for my own claim on my own insurance for the other gouge. They're on different sides of the car so they should be able to keep them separate.

Is there a way to see after getting an estimate if filing a claim would be worthwhile? If I called them would they help me figure it out, or would they only care about getting me to file a claim so they can raise my rates?

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

HondaCivet posted:

Oh no I wasn't plan on trying to scam anyone, sorry if I was confusing. I'd file for my own claim on my own insurance for the other gouge. They're on different sides of the car so they should be able to keep them separate.

Is there a way to see after getting an estimate if filing a claim would be worthwhile? If I called them would they help me figure it out, or would they only care about getting me to file a claim so they can raise my rates?

Well...I don't know GEICO's policies, but they SHOULD be able to tell you if you should file a claim or not. As a general rule though, they aren't clairvoyant. Yes, it WILL raise your rates, but no, they likely won't be able to tell you how much. You're going to want to look at the estimate and as Thesaurus said, see if its worth making a claim in concordance with your deductible. It sounds like it would likely not cost much more than your deductible so I'm not sure I would consider filing the claim.

He makes a good point though, you COULD try to claim the bf's dad did it, but that WOULD be fraud. I wouldn't do that.

Really all you need to know is what your deductible is and how much the estimate is.

SiGmA_X
May 3, 2004
SiGmA_X
And go to a third party for the estimate. Easy. It's not like your insurance company fixes it anyway.

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.

Jastiger posted:

I currently have USAA auto insurance, so they aren't bad. I WILL tell you that they aren't always the cheapest if you're only after $$$. I would also shop around regardless. They are pretty good, but sometimes they can take you for a ride if you don't know what you're doing.

I'm specifically concerned with whether they cover car rentals; that is, whether if you have a regular liability policy it will cover you when you rent a car (not whether they cover rentals when your car is being repaired). I just would rather not buy 20 dollar a day insurance from Enterprise; and I haven't driven a car in 4 years, so I'm not as confident in my abilities as I once was.

I believe I used USAA once before (can't remember if it was car insurance or what), and I know their reputation. I have had good experiences with Progressive, which is why they're also on my list.

I do not have a credit card (just a mastercard debit card, which I doubt has rental insurance). What other options are there that are cheaper than rental car company insurance? Besides driving uninsured?

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

VideoTapir posted:

I'm specifically concerned with whether they cover car rentals; that is, whether if you have a regular liability policy it will cover you when you rent a car (not whether they cover rentals when your car is being repaired). I just would rather not buy 20 dollar a day insurance from Enterprise; and I haven't driven a car in 4 years, so I'm not as confident in my abilities as I once was.

I believe I used USAA once before (can't remember if it was car insurance or what), and I know their reputation. I have had good experiences with Progressive, which is why they're also on my list.

I do not have a credit card (just a mastercard debit card, which I doubt has rental insurance). What other options are there that are cheaper than rental car company insurance? Besides driving uninsured?

Generally a regular liability policy is going to cover you when you rent a car. Remember, liability follows YOU, not your car! However, when it comes to rental car coverage, it is often better to pick up the small physical damage coverage if you damage the vehicle. Its better to pay the extra 20$ or so than have a claim on your insurance in most cases.

Kung Fu Jesus
Jun 20, 2002

HondaCivet posted:

Like Jastiger said, all you need is an estimate. If its $1500 and your deductible is $500, you might want to report it. From my experience taking these type of "hypothetical" calls, we can't tell you much. File the claim or don't but I can't tell you if your rates will go up or how much. We just don't know. Plus we aren't going to commit to some number that can't be met when it comes time to renew.

DeesGrandpa
Oct 21, 2009

Who's the go-to for renters insurance? Only need 15k or so of coverage. My leasing company tells everyone to go with erentersplan.com, but i haven't heard poo poo about them. Should I just go with state farm or something?

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

DeesGrandpa posted:

Who's the go-to for renters insurance? Only need 15k or so of coverage. My leasing company tells everyone to go with erentersplan.com, but i haven't heard poo poo about them. Should I just go with state farm or something?

I only offer one company right now, but it is probably worth while to shop around with those that do auto as well. Often times the bundling discount pays for the renters. Companies like State Farm, Allstate, Nationwide, and Travelers to name a few.

Also, think really had about how much insurance you want. Most people vastly underestimate how much it would cost to repurchase all of their property brand new, and if you have a good record and credit history, the difference between 25K and 15K is likely minimal.

last laugh
Feb 11, 2004

NOOOTHING!

DeesGrandpa posted:

Try your Auto insurance company, often you get a discount on your car insurance for bundling and the renters policy become essentially "free". Also make sure to have them price different limits, I had $15k of coverage but when I asked what it would be to step it up to $25 they told me both policies were at the minimum premium, so there was no extra cost.

SiGmA_X
May 3, 2004
SiGmA_X

DeesGrandpa posted:

Varies by zip code, honestly! State Farm was the cheapest for me by a fair margin. Farmers was almost 2x the price, and Allstate about 1.3x.

I would go with 100k in liability at a minimum, and whatever your realistic property coverage should be - mine&gf have 30k. Fires are expensive.

Like Jastiger said, 15k to 30k was a minimal rate increase. Now if I paid monthly vs annually, haha.. Huge diff there.

DeesGrandpa
Oct 21, 2009

Thanks guys, I appreciate it.as for the coverage I really only have ~9k worth of poo poo on the high end as I'm just out of school. Can I step up the coverage if I need to?

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

DeesGrandpa posted:

Thanks guys, I appreciate it.as for the coverage I really only have ~9k worth of poo poo on the high end as I'm just out of school. Can I step up the coverage if I need to?

Sure ya can!

SiGmA_X
May 3, 2004
SiGmA_X

DeesGrandpa posted:

Get 100k liability and 10k property - no big deal! I changed mine from 15 to 30 and added my gf when my gf's coverage dropped (1/2 the price w State Farm!!), it took 5min on the phone with my agent. And then a follow up email when they changed our apt# somehow (last # of 5 vs 8 on the keypad, oh well) but that was easy.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Am I to interpret that the following means that Aetna covers nothing and the copay doesn't kick in until I've reached $5750 in terms of money towards my deductable?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SiGmA_X
May 3, 2004
SiGmA_X

BlackMK4 posted:

Am I to interpret that the following means that Aetna covers nothing and the copay doesn't kick in until I've reached $5750 in terms of money towards my deductable?

Yep. You're surprised that you're getting exactly what you signed up for why? I hope you're at least using your HSA.