Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Forzelt
Jul 23, 2012

Variance? Fuck that noise.

CVE posted:

Hmm I kinda need Klein since he can play both LF and RF. Anything else I can give you to sweeten the deal? Something from my feeders or minors preferebly?

Haha. This was basically the reason I wanted to keep Klein. How about Klein/Curt Davis for Rixey/(Sparky Lyle or Steve Reed)?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

The Merry Marauder posted:

I believe you advocate discarding "early seasons," so let's throw out SL V and VI at least, and probably even SL VII, given the people throwing baseballs in the DL that season (e.g. the Radbourns).

You can't go into a season planning to use someone who struggles to hit .200, not unless his ISO is .300 or it's the MACHINE. A real baseball team can get away with holes in the lineup, but unless you're in a weak division or get lucky, expecting to get away with that in the SL will get you relegated with a quickness. It's certainly not worth any percentage whatever of Tyrus Cobb.

e: But hey, if your trading partner wants to be optimistic about the Pagoda's park effects and Fhisk's Fhloston seasons, go nuts. I'm going to laugh at them, though. (in much the same way I found the guy assembling the Bangers outfield backwards very funny indeed)

That's fair. The Pharmas problem is that they're largely "acceptable" at all positions, but a team of acceptable dudes only goes so far without elite talent. Fisk is acceptable, I think, and you can live with him at catcher if you've got some other cool poo poo going on. But trading elite talent (or a pick that'd get elite talent) to get several acceptable dudes isn't going to take you places.

Except to the championship series when your division has a down year and you catch a superior team in a short series, but that's not anything you count on. "Holy poo poo lucky" is not a viable plan.

Back on board with the Blyleven/Abreu trade assuming Forzelt and CVE can work out their side.

CVE
Jan 27, 2012

FairGame posted:

Back on board with the Blyleven/Abreu trade assuming Forzelt and CVE can work out their side.

Unfortunately that doesn't seem to be the case. I can't give up what Forzelt needs and vice versa.

HulkaMatt
Feb 14, 2006

BIG BICEPS SHOHEI

a mystery envelope has hit the draft

EDIT: 3 MYSTERY ENVELOPES

EDIT 2: and chelsea baker

HulkaMatt
Feb 14, 2006

BIG BICEPS SHOHEI

<@SmasherDynamo> One has something great! One has something pretty good! One has....not as much.

<&McFreeze> what if you collect them all
<@SmasherDynamo> Well, yes, if you get all three, then you get the Mystery Envelope Gold.
<@HulkaMatt> WAT
<@SmasherDynamo> Now, what's in that, you might ask?
<@HulkaMatt> yeah i wanna know
<@SmasherDynamo> I guess there's only one way to find out.
<@Monathin> OH poo poo
<@CFBalla> God dammit smasher
<@Monathin> IT BEGINS
<@SmasherDynamo> Is it worth destroying your team?
<@SmasherDynamo> Is what is in that envelope better than what you'd have to give up?

HulkaMatt fucked around with this message at 01:50 on Jul 25, 2014

TheFlyingLlama
Jan 2, 2013

You really think someone would do that? Just go on the internet and be a llama?

Someone trade me one of the next three picks

I will offer good things+ the 27th overall pick for one. Talk to me in IRC

TheFlyingLlama fucked around with this message at 01:51 on Jul 25, 2014

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------
Despair will never let you down.
Malice will never disappoint you.

Oh Christ, here we go again. I'm somewhat annoyed that I'm not feasibly able to get any of the envelopes without destroying my team in the process, and in the event that there's another RNG God/MACHINE level player hiding in there, I'm going to be more than somewhat annoyed.

EDIT: Oh god, it's going to be a bidding war. Never mind my previous annoyance, I'm just looking forward to the Schadenfreude for when it turns out that Smasher wanted to throw a curveball this time and the golden envelope was not worth giving up a ton of good guys for.

TheMcD fucked around with this message at 02:02 on Jul 25, 2014

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

?????????
?

I am suddenly interested in ALL of the current picks, please take my players so I can bet it all on a Golden Ticket Envelope

Zodiac5000
Jun 19, 2006

Protects the Pack!

Doctor Rope
Kensei and Andy Waltfield! What do you want for your picks?!? I am prepared to offer extremely high quality players for them now that the mystery envelopes have appeared.

Forzelt
Jul 23, 2012

TheMcD posted:

I'm just looking forward to the Schadenfreude for when it turns out that Smasher wanted to throw a curveball this time and the golden envelope was not worth giving up a ton of good guys for.

It will be (probably really) good, but will it be worth a bidding war for three DD picks? Probably not.

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

Leaning toward taking a Mystery Envelope, cause I love to live dangerously.

DannoMack
Aug 1, 2003

i love it when you call me big poppa
Don't do it! Trade it to someone who wants all three and will stop at nothing to get them.

Forzelt
Jul 23, 2012

DannoMack posted:

Don't do it! Trade it to someone who wants all three and will stop at nothing to get them.

Why should someone else get to live dangerously?

theacox
Jun 8, 2010

You can't be serious.
Take the Mystery Envelope. Do It. DOOOOO IIIIIT.

Ice To Meet You
Mar 5, 2007

DannoMack posted:

But if you pick the envelope, and someone gets the other two, imagine the value you can extort from them! It's just like Monopoly.

DannoMack
Aug 1, 2003

i love it when you call me big poppa

Forzelt posted:

Why should someone else get to live dangerously?

I want to see Zodiac trade his entire team for those two picks and then have to field a team of ENVELOPE PRIZE and the remains of his feeders.

HulkaMatt
Feb 14, 2006

BIG BICEPS SHOHEI

KENSEI YOU GOTTA BE KIDDIN ME

CFBalla
Sep 16, 2009

Yeah, I just made that shot. :smug:
Do it kensei. Live life on the edge. Fantasy fantasy baseball life, but still.

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

Take the Mystery Envelope and then make Smasher play Monty Hall

and then watch the beginning of 21, I guess.

Pungry
Feb 26, 2011

JUST PICK ONE. ANY ONE.
Mods, please change my name to Coldplay. Thanks.

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

Zodiac5000 posted:

Kensei and Andy Waltfield! What do you want for your picks?!? I am prepared to offer extremely high quality players for them now that the mystery envelopes have appeared.

Make me an offer

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

?????????
?

T-T-T-TRADE!

Portland Hipsters Receive
Pick #37
1912 Al Demaree
1938 Ernie Lombardi
1948 Robin Roberts

Blossom City Wonderfuls Receive
Pick #14

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

Monathin posted:

T-T-T-TRADE!

Pick #37
1912 Al Demaree
1938 Ernie Lombardi
1948 Robin Roberts

Pick #14

Confirmed

What will you do with your new pick? :allears:

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

?????????
?

I'M GONNA PICK THE

1921 Ty Cobb, LATER NERDS

tatankatonk
Nov 4, 2011

Pitching is the art of instilling fear.

Monathin posted:

T-T-T-TRADE!

Pick #37
1912 Al Demaree
1938 Ernie Lombardi
1948 Robin Roberts

Pick #14

Kensei what the gently caress this is so bad

Monicro
Oct 21, 2010

And you could feel his features in the air
A wide smile and perfect hair
He had complete control of the rising tides
And a medicine bag hanging at his side

In the flowing blue world of the death-dealing physician
Oh wow

ForeverBWFC
Oct 19, 2011

Oh, the lads! You should've seen 'em running!
Ask 'em why and they reply the Bolton Boys are coming! All the lads and lasses, smiles upon their faces,

WALKING DOWN THE MANNY ROAD, TO SEE THE BURNDEN ACES!
I actually don't want to get involved in this. Success has changed me...

CFBalla
Sep 16, 2009

Yeah, I just made that shot. :smug:
:siren: Trade! :siren:

Tornados send:
1989 Cal Ripken

Pirates send:
1935 Joe Cronin

I do enjoy ironies, yes.

Beet
Aug 24, 2003

CFBalla posted:

:siren: Trade! :siren:

Tornados send:
1989 Cal Ripken

Pirates send:
1935 Joe Cronin

I do enjoy ironies, yes.

He's yours again, by all means. Good evening.

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

Shawon Dunston posted:

He's yours again, by all means. Good evening.

Where is The MACHINE going to play? Ripken's defense + MACHINE's defense is going to be amazing if they're both in the same infield.

Andy Waltfeld
Dec 18, 2009
God dammit, Beet, I was gonna do a thing with a 2nd Rounder-for-Cronin pick, but then Llama tried to counter-offer and I wound up having to go to work and then you do THIS.

So here's my counter-counter offer: Convince me not to blow it on one of the Mystery Envelopes. They're all in the LF slot on the spreadsheet, and I need a new LF (mainly as an excuse not to put HoJo or Hamilton there), and I dare not take my chances on the last remaining Old Bonds because there's no way to prove he was The Worst's weak link.

CVE
Jan 27, 2012
Hmm, what would a pick in the near future cost me? I kinda want to take a chance on old Bonds probably (don't have nearly the ressources to fight the fight for the envelopes) and might be convinced to trade for a pick.

Andy Waltfeld
Dec 18, 2009
...didn't take long to convince me. Such is the magic of IRC.

Dryfield Golems receive:
1989 Rickey Henderson
1958 Whitey Ford
Dispersal Draft Pick #65

Oklahoma City Bombers receive:
Dispersal Draft Pick #15

mentholmoose
Nov 5, 2009

YKNOW THERES ONLY ONE DIRECTION I KNOW AND THATS DRIVIN STRAIGHT TO THE NET

Approved! The Bombers take '00 Barry Bonds.

Zodiac5000 is up.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------
Despair will never let you down.
Malice will never disappoint you.

You know, I didn't think that the next two draft picks after the reveal of the envelopes was going to be regular players. Nobody want to take a dive on a single envelope?

StupidSexyMothman
Aug 9, 2010

TheMcD posted:

You know, I didn't think that the next two draft picks after the reveal of the envelopes was going to be regular players. Nobody want to take a dive on a single envelope?

Not with a Cobb and a Bonds still on the board. Later on when you're taking best available reliever yeah, envelope away.

mentholmoose
Nov 5, 2009

oldskool, I want your Tris Speaker! Get on IRC or PM me about it.

StupidSexyMothman
Aug 9, 2010

You can't handle my Tris Speaker!
(good CF, slugging 1B, draft pick/starting pitcher but I'm really more interested in keeping Speaker)

Zodiac5000
Jun 19, 2006

Protects the Pack!

Doctor Rope
The Marmosets select 1940 Luke Appling, and rage against not getting the sweet, sweet gimmick.

CaptainYesterday is on the clock.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mentholmoose
Nov 5, 2009

oldskool posted:

You can't handle my Tris Speaker!
(good CF, slugging 1B, draft pick/starting pitcher but I'm really more interested in keeping Speaker)

For what it's worth, I was thinking '65 Mickey Mantle and my 1st round Super-Draft pick for Speaker.