Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Arlo and Janis is doing a drama arc much better than "proper" drama comics.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Looking cute, feeling cute.
The Facebook page for Star Trek was trying to promote Intelligent Life as "Finally, a comic strip for geeks!" despite Fox Trot, Dilbert, Gil, etc. existing, and I can't tell you how tempting it was to comment on the story, "NO, DON'T, IT SUCKS, IT SUCKS."

Glad to see that promoting did it absolutely no favors in the actual funny pages.

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

Kennel posted:

Arlo and Janis has the most realistic characters in the paper, which is why about a third of them make no sense and half are completely comprehensible but don't actually make any points.

I still like it most of the time.

Presto
Nov 22, 2002

Keep calm and Harry on.
If I lived in Inspector Danger's Murderopolis I'd get the hell out ASAP. It's worse than Detroit.

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Is it possible for someone to get a hairstyle touched-up in under thirty minutes?

Edit: I just realized she could also have rescheduled the appointment to be earlier in the day.

RandomPauI fucked around with this message at 03:09 on Jul 25, 2014

Humanoid Female
Mar 13, 2008

I could just barely see it as possible to get in and out and back home from a hair appointment in under 30 minutes, if you live close (or are rich enough to have the stylist come to your home) and if maybe you're just getting it styled instead of washed and cut and styled. I know there are blowdryer bars in some cities where you can just get an express hairdo in a lunch break. BUT she was also booked for a massage, and you can't get that done simultaneously with the hairstyling, and virtually no salons offer less than a 30 minute massage, with 1 hour being the standard. UNLESS it was a hand/foot massage being done by somebody else while she was having her hair done.

Whatever, my real question is who the gently caress wears a watch anymore except male hipsters

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.
Finally caught up with my entirely arbitrary Pogo schedule in time for Pogo to split town. (July 26, 1956)

Bonus Peanuts (July 26, 1956)

Ensign_Ricky
Jan 4, 2008

Daddy Warlord
of the
Children of the Corn

or something...

Evil Mastermind posted:

Oh come the gently caress on.

To be fair, this one is less bullshit than the car jack one.

edit: Inspector Danger's consistent usage of "probable cause" probably keeps most lawyers in the US wealthy.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!

Humanoid Female posted:

Whatever, my real question is who the gently caress wears a watch anymore except male hipsters

Old cranks who don't have smartphones, thank you very much.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

god damn it, you've got to be kind

The Little King:

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Little Jack Horner is clearly one of the Keane kids in a wig.

Presto posted:

If I lived in Inspector Danger's Murderopolis I'd get the hell out ASAP.
Why? Do you have a lot of money and three heirs?

Humanoid Female posted:

I could just barely see it as possible to get in and out and back home from a hair appointment in under 30 minutes, if you live close (or are rich enough to have the stylist come to your home) and if maybe you're just getting it styled instead of washed and cut and styled. I know there are blowdryer bars in some cities where you can just get an express hairdo in a lunch break. BUT she was also booked for a massage, and you can't get that done simultaneously with the hairstyling, and virtually no salons offer less than a 30 minute massage, with 1 hour being the standard. UNLESS it was a hand/foot massage being done by somebody else while she was having her hair done.
But he just looked in her appointment book, he never verified that she actually went. Or found out what time she left. Maybe she cancelled. Maybe she got there and they'd double-booked so she went home again. Maybe Guy Hilton phoned so she decided to skip the massage and just get her hair done quickly and go back home.

Humanoid Female posted:

My sister does. She says it's because she can't have her mobile with her at work, but she also wears it when she's not at work so that excuse doesn't hold up.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Probably Magic posted:

The Facebook page for Star Trek was trying to promote Intelligent Life as "Finally, a comic strip for geeks!" despite Fox Trot, Dilbert, Gil, etc. existing, and I can't tell you how tempting it was to comment on the story, "NO, DON'T, IT SUCKS, IT SUCKS."

Glad to see that promoting did it absolutely no favors in the actual funny pages.

The sad thing is, it was probably dropped because of geezer newspaper readers who hate novelty, rather than general lack of quality. But still, a pleasant schadenfreude rush.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Indolent Bastard posted:

Old cranks who don't have smartphones, thank you very much.

Also those of us who are just too lazy to fish a phone out of our pockets for the few seconds it takes to tell what time it is.

don Jaime
Apr 3, 2004

:drat:

Pickles saved its fork.

Geech did too.

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Juliet Jones

Phantom Classic

Radio Patrol

Rip Kirby

Big Ben Bolt

Forktoss
Feb 13, 2012

I'm OK, you're so-so

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

Angels didn't see that coming, did they?

Julet Esqu posted:

Phantom Classic

Popeye!

F Minus

Mary Worth

No!

Rex Morgan MD

Blhue
Apr 22, 2008

Fallen Rib

So is this actually happening at night and the colorist is a fuckup, or is Mary Worth a vampire, sleeping through the day?

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Emmy Lou

Mandrake the Magician

The Phantom

Classic Prince Valiant

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Mandrake wins again.

Bloom County

Opus is slowly becoming an alcoholic.

Calvin And Hobbes

Bye, Uncle Max! :wave:

Ripley's

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Oh its only a little whipping, dont take it seriously!

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Okay, so Luann's got a natural talent to be a set or lighting designer or a stage manager or general stage tech person. Fair enough, good for her, it sounds like a fun job. Quill, meanwhile, has moved halfway across the world to be in a drama camp that's not competent enough to catch issues like "door too small for thing" and "prop in way of light" right off the bat without assistance from a fresh high school graduate and believes it to be a valuable career option.

As theater logistics go I think these are about on the same level as "are the curtains up y/n."

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Calaveron posted:

I think the crow is confessing? And the Pope is forgiving him?

It also references a real event

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VQ_JnOi4q7w

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Johnny Walker posted:

Mary Worth

No!

Oh, my! Looks like somebody should have taken those swimming lessons her parents tried to give her.

Blhue posted:

So is this actually happening at night and the colorist is a fuckup, or is Mary Worth a vampire, sleeping through the day?

This daring escape is meant to be taking place in the dead of night. Olive's parents probably didn't hear her sneaking out because, as has been heavily established, they're more interested in banging than in having a daughter.

sweetguts
Apr 29, 2013

I know what I'm about.

Johnny Walker posted:

Mary Worth

No!

this wouldnt even be a problem if she had just learned how to swim like literally every kid her age who isn't a paranoid hallucinating cancerpsychic

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

sweetguts posted:

this wouldnt even be a problem if she had just learned how to swim like literally every kid her age who isn't a paranoid hallucinating cancerpsychic

So basically she's in danger of drowning because her hallucinationsvisions made her want to avoid the water, and thus she never learned to swim and has now fallen into the pool, again prompted by her hallucinationsvisions? I admit I've only been skimming this but it's sounding like I should find where it started and read the whole thing because wow.

Trilobite
Aug 15, 2001

Tiggum posted:

Get ready for a week of Holly trying to make him take more money for it since he put it there by mistake. Either that or a week of her smugly talking about how she got this rare comic for 25¢.
I just keep remembering that the last time Funky Winkerbean had a story arc about the comic book store that wasn't about Holly's collection, it was about how bad business was and how the only reason the owner could keep the doors open was because he was getting a commission for selling off all of Crazy Harry's books after he and his wife got laid off from their jobs at the Post Office. (You know, the classic tale of bathos from Tom Batiuk: a person on the brink of bankruptcy is saved only because someone else gets double-bankruptcy.)

Now, just a few years later, that same motherfucker is closing down his entire loving store for over a week so he can go to SDCC with Holly, secretly buy an apparently wildly expensive comic, fly back, and fake-sell it to her for a quarter at a local convention. Not that it really matters whether the store is open, I guess, since the only people who ever go in there are Crazy Harry, who obviously doesn't buy anything, a couple of teenagers who also never buy anything, and Holly, who never has to buy anything because her son is a soldier in Afghanistan and therefore just gets everything given to her because maybe it'll help her cope with the imminent death of her only child. But seriously, where is this guy's money coming from, anyway? Is he still coasting on his payoff for putting all of Crazy Harry's poo poo up on eBay? Is he embezzling from the pizza place? Is he dealing meth?

sweetguts
Apr 29, 2013

I know what I'm about.

Roland Jones posted:

So basically she's in danger of drowning because her hallucinationsvisions made her want to avoid the water, and thus she never learned to swim and has now fallen into the pool, again prompted by her hallucinationsvisions? I admit I've only been skimming this but it's sounding like I should find where it started and read the whole thing because wow.

she sees angels who warn her to stay away from the pool, so when her parents ask her if she wants to learn how to swim she's like "nah"

and now here we are

drowning in a pool

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

sweetguts posted:

she sees angels who warn her to stay away from the pool, so when her parents ask her if she wants to learn how to swim she's like "nah"

and now here we are

drowning in a pool

Yeah, see, between this and that they apparently manifest through a cyst I am pretty sure these "angels" are actually trying to kill her. In any sane (relatively speaking) comic, that would likely be the plot, really, but... Yeah.

Pidmon
Mar 18, 2009

NO ONE risks painful injury on your GREEN SLIME GHOST POGO RIDE.

No one but YOU.
So Mary's got angelcancer now too, right? That's why she's having a vision?

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

RandomFerret posted:

Arlo and Janis has the most realistic characters in the paper, which is why about a third of them make no sense and half are completely comprehensible but don't actually make any points.

I still like it most of the time.
It's pretty good at being just pleasant enough to read without being bland or depressing.

But I am starting to warm to that Zach poo poo Morrissey or whatever that loving poser Detective comic is so I don't know if this thread is good for my tastes.

Maybe I have a cyst.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

GorfZaplen posted:

Mandrake the Magician
Rule one of time travel, don't change anything. Even something as minor as stepping on a lizard could change all of history. It's totally OK to kidnap prominent humans though, that couldn't possibly have any consequences.

spookygonk
Apr 3, 2005
Does not give a damn

Tiggum posted:

Rule one of time travel, don't change anything. Even something as minor as stepping on a lizard could change all of history. It's totally OK to kidnap prominent humans though, that couldn't possibly have any consequences.
Pfft, she'll put him back unsquished.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

How would stepping on a lizard even make them the dominant species.

Is that one lizard the source of all lizard weakness like some kind of evolutionary poo poo-Adam that prevents lizards from genociding the well-established and widely spread Homo erectus populations of the year 0.95 BCE.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Mandrake is pretty bad but in the Bradbury story they lifted the concept from a time traveller steps on a butterfly and the result is that a fascist wins the election so let's not be hasty in pointing fingers.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

I'm more willing to believe that and it's a better story hook because it perfectly demonstrates the chaos and unpredictability of change by juxtaposing two unconnectable events rather than steps on a butterfly->world populated by butterflies.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.

Get out of the garbage Sluggo you'll get sick.

Kennel posted:

Are you kidding Mary Worth is on loving fire at the moment. Wake me up when Boring Family Squabbles has angels in it.

Blhue posted:

I think the colourist was pretty hamstrung by the large amount of ink-black water, and if he made the sky black (or dark purple) too the strip would look muddy. It's a happy accident because no way are those guys paid enough to care about things like that.

Ghostlight posted:

How would stepping on a lizard even make them the dominant species.

Is that one lizard the source of all lizard weakness like some kind of evolutionary poo poo-Adam that prevents lizards from genociding the well-established and widely spread Homo erectus populations of the year 0.95 BCE.

Maybe it's a mouse getting stepped on, all you can see is a tail and a foot.

That's clearly a hooded crow while the bird depicted in the strip is just regular. I'm jumping off the Pope Francis strip train here.

Have a bunch of Tom Gauld

Some good avs there in that last strip.

And a Rarebit Fiend that's a metaphor about the military-industrial complex

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

Blhue posted:

Yes.

• Locked thread