Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
JonusRockweller
Jul 3, 2013
Mildly humiliating but expected for non PvP perks. Got my rear end handed in Broken Peninsula a few times, being on the defensive doesn't help- Apparently hit and runs and harassing bases is fairly easy, just grab the enemy health pad, and while that's waiting for a regen fly around using their own glider. AoE and DoT seems to be king, you don't get hit by anyone much, but just the matter of getting hit once by them means you're hosed. Recluse seems to be the spray and play class, who needs to aim when you can spam out clouds every half second that cover a 3 meter area to do 30k damage over time. Ouch.

Edit: Tip, don't use a Health Regen Core, you'll be lucky to be standing after three splash hits.

JonusRockweller fucked around with this message at 03:14 on Jul 24, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fina
Feb 27, 2006

Shazbot!
I jumped in last night as a level 32 Tigerclaw and I took down a few players but it isn't really worth the effort at this point. I was fighting one of the medic classes and he couldn't aim for poo poo but he could out heal my damage no matter how much I could nail him mid-air. The whole fight was just this long drawn out ordeal. Usually I just got one-shot though.

I really miss the more structured PVP that the game used to have like the DM and TDM modes since it just stuck everyone into the same level so it was pretty equal. I don't know why they don't change that for the PVP area so that you're always up-leveled to 40 and your equipment takes on the stats of its level 40 equivalent. I've barely seen any people in the mode too, so it seems really weird to make your only PVP mode practically exclusive to a minority of the player base.

Inimicul
Oct 14, 2006

Shenanigans!

JonusRockweller posted:

Mildly humiliating but expected for non PvP perks. Got my rear end handed in Broken Peninsula a few times, being on the defensive doesn't help- Apparently hit and runs and harassing bases is fairly easy, just grab the enemy health pad, and while that's waiting for a regen fly around using their own glider. AoE and DoT seems to be king, you don't get hit by anyone much, but just the matter of getting hit once by them means you're hosed. Recluse seems to be the spray and play class, who needs to aim when you can spam out clouds every half second that cover a 3 meter area to do 30k damage over time. Ouch.

Edit: Tip, don't use a Health Regen Core, you'll be lucky to be standing after three splash hits.

Confirmed. Recluse is naaaasty. My crossbow has an AOE of almost 6 meters and does 4x more damage during the DOT stage than the initial hit. Considering how long the cloud on the floor lasts, you can specialize in area denial at the expense of having to take every perk you can to minimize your own vulnerability to self damage and poison.

Apple Craft
Mar 8, 2012
Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray :cry: Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray

Fina posted:

I really miss the more structured PVP that the game used to have like the DM and TDM modes since it just stuck everyone into the same level so it was pretty equal.

I believe R5 has said they want to bring the arena PVP back, at some point. I thought TDM was a blast back in early closed beta.

A lot has changed since I used to play, and it can be a bit weird at times. Having Aero as my handler instead of Ratchet, who is now stuck in a back corner shop, is strange. The molecular printer is moved, because reasons. The old PVE quests are gone, but some of the art assets (like the water pumps you used to have to activate) are still there. Mob density in Copa and surrounding areas is greatly reduced. I miss the chosen invasions that used to happen around Copa, too.

I am still mad they got rid of the medic class' TF2-style medigun. I love support classes and Medic was my favorite class back then.

permanoob
Sep 28, 2004

Yeah it's a lot like that.
I've been enjoying the game solo, but trying to get missions done with multiple people is terribly cumbersome. Had some friends start playing with the new changes and both missions we tried were riddled with bugs and problems and took a long time to complete because of that.

We had a ton of fun doing S3 thumpers though. They were a tad inconsistent it seemed. We dropped one in one spot. Had no problems. Launched it at 100% and maybe 60% health. The next one we dropped, easily 4 times as many chosen crawled out and we had to launch at 95% because the health was dropping like a brick at 20%.

Ralith
Jan 12, 2011

I see a ship in the harbor
I can and shall obey
But if it wasn't for your misfortune
I'd be a heavenly person today

permanoob posted:

I've been enjoying the game solo, but trying to get missions done with multiple people is terribly cumbersome. Had some friends start playing with the new changes and both missions we tried were riddled with bugs and problems and took a long time to complete because of that.

We had a ton of fun doing S3 thumpers though. They were a tad inconsistent it seemed. We dropped one in one spot. Had no problems. Launched it at 100% and maybe 60% health. The next one we dropped, easily 4 times as many chosen crawled out and we had to launch at 95% because the health was dropping like a brick at 20%.
Never had or heard of any issues doing missions with multiple people, aside from some screwery that happens with job board mission cancelling. They're mostly designed to be completed by squads.
High level thumpers sometimes but not always result in a spam of chosen drop pods near the end; other than that, they should be pretty consistent at any given drop point.

PureRok
Mar 27, 2010

Good as new.
So, I just reinstalled this after not playing the beta since about 2 years ago. One thing that's bugging me is that all three texture settings in the graphics options seem to do nothing. Low, Medium, and High are all identical. None of the textures change. What's up with this?

Inimicul
Oct 14, 2006

Shenanigans!
It streams textures so depending on how you have your network settings in game configured, it may either be throttled or turned off entirely.

Xavier434
Dec 4, 2002

Inimicul posted:

It streams textures so depending on how you have your network settings in game configured, it may either be throttled or turned off entirely.

Wait what? So what should our in game network settings be set to in order to avoid being throttled?

PureRok
Mar 27, 2010

Good as new.
I put everything at the best settings they could be in the network section as well. I'm not sure what's going on. 20mbps for textures should be plenty (especially since it's the max), since my internet supports speeds up to 50mbps.

xxEightxx
Mar 5, 2010

Oh, it's true. You are Brock Landers!
Salad Prong
I picked up a rare crafting component from the days of old, (drone module), does anyone know how they are integrated into the new manufacturing system? I haven't unlocked module colors yet, I'm saving my points (about a million left) to see what is needed.

MadHat
Mar 31, 2011
The old Modified base Abilities and Weapons are still in [except Soaring Afterburner] they are blueprints at certain POI's you can buy to get certain levels of the recipe.

Fina
Feb 27, 2006

Shazbot!
Why can't the game just cache the textures? The game has really lovely streaming and sometimes returning to an area will cause it to re-stream textures in again. I wish they had an option to just go ahead and bulk download the whole texture cache and be done with it.

Lemon King
Oct 4, 2009

im nt posting wif a mark on my head

Fina posted:

Why can't the game just cache the textures? The game has really lovely streaming and sometimes returning to an area will cause it to re-stream textures in again. I wish they had an option to just go ahead and bulk download the whole texture cache and be done with it.

Firefall caches textures once they are streamed in, if they keep re-streaming type ClearVTCache in the console as its a sign your cache didn't properly clear between versions.

Lemon King fucked around with this message at 18:12 on Jul 24, 2014

chestnut santabag
Jul 3, 2006

xxEightxx posted:

I picked up a rare crafting component from the days of old, (drone module), does anyone know how they are integrated into the new manufacturing system? I haven't unlocked module colors yet, I'm saving my points (about a million left) to see what is needed.

I've seen drone modules drop in Blackwater - I think they're used for crafting a special module or a specific ability?

xxEightxx
Mar 5, 2010

Oh, it's true. You are Brock Landers!
Salad Prong

chestnut santabag posted:

I've seen drone modules drop in Blackwater - I think they're used for crafting a special module or a specific ability?

Pre-patch they were used for shielded crater. I have no idea what vendors sell nanoprints or where they are, but I am hoping the recipe is out there somewhere. I have not seen a way to re-make that ability with mods, but I don't have all the ability mods unlocked yet.

Inimicul
Oct 14, 2006

Shenanigans!
I guess I need to sit down and visit all the quartermasters and update my vendor list with who has what recipes and such.

Fina
Feb 27, 2006

Shazbot!

Lemon King posted:

Firefall caches textures once they are streamed in, if they keep re-streaming type ClearVTCache in the console as its a sign your cache didn't properly clear between versions.

I'll give this a shot but is there a command to force a full download? It sucks to stand in front of a texture thinking "wow, this looks terrible. Is it going to keep streaming in? yep, yep, yep, nope, still blurry"

GaylordButts
Feb 19, 2009

Fina posted:

I'll give this a shot but is there a command to force a full download? It sucks to stand in front of a texture thinking "wow, this looks terrible. Is it going to keep streaming in? yep, yep, yep, nope, still blurry"

I'd be into that as well, it can't possibly be larger than Titanfall's morbidly obese 50 GB install.

Differo Cathedra
Oct 9, 2012

To be honest it was 4AM when I started making the gif and even I don't know what it's supposed to be about by the time I finished it an hour and a few GIS searches later :effort:

I had an account for a while but just decided to install this since it landed on steam. I could be missing it but is there no character customization other name and gender?

Fina
Feb 27, 2006

Shazbot!
All of the character things are changed in the New U stations across the world, including gender, face, hair, skin, etc.

Differo Cathedra
Oct 9, 2012

To be honest it was 4AM when I started making the gif and even I don't know what it's supposed to be about by the time I finished it an hour and a few GIS searches later :effort:

Fina posted:

All of the character things are changed in the New U stations across the world, including gender, face, hair, skin, etc.

Okay. Thanks. Seems a bit weird not to put that stuff up front but good to hear there's still options.

Literal Hamster
Mar 11, 2012

YOSPOS
Has anyone else noticed no difference in damage between a body shot and a head shot? I'm playing a Nighthawk with the +10% Headshot damage perk and I don't see a difference in the amount of damage I'm doing.

Fina
Feb 27, 2006

Shazbot!
Headshot damage is there but I don't know how much it is. I know on my Raptor it was the difference between one-shotting some enemies and leaving them with a sliver of health, so I'm not sure exactly how much the bonus damage is.

Lemon King
Oct 4, 2009

im nt posting wif a mark on my head

Fina posted:

A few players found out how to download the entire vt cache in 2013 but be warned, the cache size was about 50 gigs then and its even larger now.

Fina
Feb 27, 2006

Shazbot!
How did they manage 50gb of textures? Are they going for the MEGATEXTURE thing that Rage had where everything was uniquely textured or something?

texasmed
May 27, 2004
I dunno they probably use a lot of different textures to make the game.

There is a way you can turn on a Network Monitor in the Interface options, it tells you when you're streaming textures. I'd say if the icon for texture streaming pops up and stays on for a long time, there could be a problem. Mine usually only flashes for a second or two at a time when traveling.

Literal Hamster
Mar 11, 2012

YOSPOS
Heads up folks, Mission Hardmodes (Level 37+) are now officially enabled.

Ralith
Jan 12, 2011

I can and shall obey

Daysvala posted:

Has anyone else noticed no difference in damage between a body shot and a head shot? I'm playing a Nighthawk with the +10% Headshot damage perk and I don't see a difference in the amount of damage I'm doing.
I've played a lot of Raptor, and headshot damage is absolutely there (on some non-human enemies it's in a weird place though, think "weak armor" not "head") and has a dramatic effect. The chosen are a pretty good test target since they have obvious and consistent heads and frequently hold still for you to aim carefully at.

Thor-Stryker
Nov 11, 2005

Daysvala posted:

I still see the difference on my Rhino, and I at least know the "Killer Stealer" perk works on both head and body shots.

Xavier434
Dec 4, 2002

Sounds like they fixed a number of Job Board quest bugs in the latest patch. That is very good because I already know some people who tried the game recently that were really turned off by those.

Westy543
Apr 18, 2013

GINYU FORCE RULES

Is there a list of "secret" abilities? I know you can get the rocket turret from the vendor in Shanty Town, it seems like there are some other abilities like that. I found a bombing run ability for my Assault when I finished the first story arc.

Edit: Holy poo poo just patched, the cinematic is really nice. I remember seeing something similar in the past, but it was just the tale of the Arclight. Is it new? I don't remember seeing Battleframes in it.

Westy543 fucked around with this message at 03:17 on Jul 25, 2014

Fina
Feb 27, 2006

Shazbot!
I just unlocked the Assault Lvl 20 perk that increases Plasma & energy weapon damage by 10%. I'm assuming that means it applies to Fusion and Thermal cannons, but what else is considered an energy weapon?

MadHat
Mar 31, 2011

Fina posted:

I just unlocked the Assault Lvl 20 perk that increases Plasma & energy weapon damage by 10%. I'm assuming that means it applies to Fusion and Thermal cannons, but what else is considered an energy weapon?

Raptor, Electron, and Accord Engineer off the top of my head are classified as Energy.

Really need a tooltip on weapons for Damage Type, still a couple UI issues like that floating around, like Raptor not seeing how many Charges their Perk has stored.

Westy543
Apr 18, 2013

GINYU FORCE RULES

Fina posted:

According to this this wiki page, Bio and Tesla rifles, all the Assault primaries, the charge rifle, shock rail, laser and plasma HMG. It seems like the wiki is slowly started to be updated for 1.0.

Cheston
Jul 17, 2012

(he's got a good thing going)

Fina posted:

The Rhino's HLMG, the Mammoth's HPMG, the Dragonfly's Bio Rifle, the Bastion's Tesla Rifle, and the Electron's Shock Rail should all count. Everything else is bullets, grenades, or poison.

**Beaten, but yeah, also the Charge Rifle.

Fina
Feb 27, 2006

Shazbot!
Excellent, thanks. I was hoping the Charge rifle applied but it makes a gunshot sound instead of a laser pew so I figured it didn't.

Ralith
Jan 12, 2011

I can and shall obey
Man, all the unlockable perks seem really nice. Gives a real reason to play non-advanced classes.

Inimicul
Oct 14, 2006

Shenanigans!
Are you still not seeing the headshot damage on your Night Hawk? I play that frame a lot and know the headshot damage is there, but it's not the 200% bonus that most frames get. It was nerfed down to 30% bonus because with Ambush and other perk stacking I was regularly making GBS threads out 60k damage headshots, even while hip firing. Naturally, that was unintended so Night Hawk got brought down a peg or two.

Now, who wants to do some BWA Hard farming?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Apple Craft
Mar 8, 2012
Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray :cry: Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray

Westy543 posted:

Edit: Holy poo poo just patched, the cinematic is really nice. I remember seeing something similar in the past, but it was just the tale of the Arclight. Is it new? I don't remember seeing Battleframes in it.

It looks like a few trailers combined. I think this is the one you are thinking of, and some of it is in the intro, too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4GtUcLktpxw

• Locked thread