Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hegay
Jun 29, 2012

6.09 according to tweets

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

Welcome back, welcome back, welcome baaaack
Clean climb from Nibali, just a natural talent finally allowed to express himself with Froome dropping out due to fake injuries (fear of AICAR testing).

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
The only times quicker than his were all from before 2000. Most from 1994-96

Bolivar
Aug 20, 2011

Hegay posted:

6.09 according to tweets

Well that's nothing after all, gotta hate this microdosing era :negative:
Riis with his 60%+ hematocrit going 12 percent faster :shepicide:

Hegay
Jun 29, 2012

serious gaylord posted:

The only times quicker than his were all from before 2000. Most from 1994-96

Not sure if serious...

Withnail
Feb 11, 2004

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Hegay posted:

Not sure if serious...

I'm afraid he's the quickest rider up that mountain since the notorious years Hegav. Its a sad day for cycling that we're back to those dark times.

Mr.Nice
Apr 28, 2006

It's true, 26th time on Hautacam for Nibali but the last time the tour finished in Hautacam was 2008, before that 2000.

Bolivar
Aug 20, 2011

serious gaylord posted:

I'm afraid he's the quickest rider up that mountain since the notorious years Hegav. Its a sad day for cycling that we're back to those dark times.

Way to miss the big picture. Did you miss the part where a talentless gently caress like Brarne Riis went 12% faster (6,84 w/kg) than Nibali (6,09 w/kg)? Not even the same loving ballpark.

James Garfield
May 5, 2012
Am I a manipulative abuser in real life, or do I just roleplay one on the Internet for fun? You decide!
Nibali climbed Hautacam faster than the 2008 tour, I don't see how that says anything about doping. The Riccardo Ricco attacking is more suspicious than his usual but it's not like Nibali was a domestique losing cat 2 races in 2010.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Bolivar posted:

Way to miss the big picture. Did you miss the part where a talentless gently caress like Brarne Riis went 12% faster (6,84 w/kg) than Nibali (6,09 w/kg)? Not even the same loving ballpark.

Ah yes, he went a little bit slower than some of the most notoriously doped to the gills riders of all time. He's clean. My mistake.

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

Andy Schleck is about to pop for Bio passport rumors are saying. Lol that it punishes you for riding clean. Froome has to be making GBS threads himself, Wiggins has already accepted his fate. The axe is coming.

paddyboat
Feb 20, 2013

Maxi, Maxi Rodriguez
Run down the wing for me
There are literal French riders on the podium of the Tour. Dark clouds are forming. End times are near.

Hold me

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

African AIDS cum posted:

Andy Schleck is about to pop for Bio passport rumors are saying. Lol that it punishes you for riding clean. Froome has to be making GBS threads himself, Wiggins has already accepted his fate. The axe is coming.

How can Fat Andy be giving dodgy bio passports? Do they check for burger consumption?

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

serious gaylord posted:

How can Fat Andy be giving dodgy bio passports? Do they check for burger consumption?

Drop in levels since 08 when he was riding high and mighty now he's gone clean and its confirmed he was doping then. Boom roasted. Bio passport encourages lifelong doping now.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

African AIDS cum posted:

Drop in levels since 08 when he was riding high and mighty now he's gone clean and its confirmed he was doping then. Boom roasted. Bio passport encourages lifelong doping now.

Explains Wiggins 'retirement' rumours after the commonwealth games.

Smirr
Jun 28, 2012

African AIDS cum posted:

I was thinking about this exact scenario the other day. Can't really think of a good solution either. Getting banned for riding clean might just be the way cyclists end their careers from now on.

Anyway, pretty OK stage if only for Valverde crumbling off the podium. I hope both Frenchmen hang in there somehow, that would own. Oh and if anyone's got gifs of The Great Voeckler Crack of 2014, I'm all ears (eyes)

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
Valverde doesnt deserve to even be in the top 10 he's a gormless rider.

Gregor Samsa
Sep 5, 2007
Nietzsche's Mustache

Smirr posted:

I was thinking about this exact scenario the other day. Can't really think of a good solution either. Getting banned for riding clean might just be the way cyclists end their careers from now on.

Anyway, pretty OK stage if only for Valverde crumbling off the podium. I hope both Frenchmen hang in there somehow, that would own. Oh and if anyone's got gifs of The Great Voeckler Crack of 2014, I'm all ears (eyes)

Some sort of amnesty program like they offer to the losing army in a civil war might be one way to eliminate the incentive to dope forever. Except not a lot of guys are gunna want a) to admit,to doping in the past or b) quit doping.

Legendary Ptarmigan
Sep 21, 2007

Need a light?
TJ can probably get 2m7s on Bardet in the TT, so the final top five will be Nibali 1, Peraud/Valverde 2 and 3, Pinot 4, and TJ in 5th. Majka won the mountains jersey today; Bardet can't get 2m17s on Pinot so the latter gets White. Sagan has had Green locked up since the first week, so it seems like we're just watching for stage wins now (and I guess 2nd and 3rd place overall).

I'm really annoyed at NBC showing the women's race on Universal Sports instead of NBC Sports. Now I can't watch La Course. What are they showing on the regular channel? A replay of the boring TT stage. :smithicide:

Legendary Ptarmigan fucked around with this message at 19:04 on Jul 24, 2014

Mr.Nice
Apr 28, 2006
Stage 18 Pau / Hautacam

Spectator getting smacked

EN - Summary - Stage 18

Full Results

Stage 19 Maubourguet Pays du Val d'Adour / Bergerac 208.5km

Stage 19: by Pierrick Fedrigo

Mountain passes & hills

Km 195.5 - Côte de Monbazillac 1.3 km at 7.6% - category 4

Intermediate sprint

Finish

Weather

Storms and rain

Stage 19 odds

Time schedule

Start : 12h25
Finish : 17h20

Smirr
Jun 28, 2012

lol he really reminds me of Lukas Podolski, just with fewer thumbs

Roobsa
May 1, 2011

Rojas kicked from the Tour for drafting behind a team car. Apparently it was on the descent of the Tourmalet, which seems pretty unnecessary.

Had to use Google Translate to make sense of it as I can't find any report in english yet - http://ciclismo.as.com/ciclismo/2014/07/24/tour_francia/1406214841_859282.html

Smirr
Jun 28, 2012

"Quitte à être prétentieux, ce n'était pas du grand Thomas aujourd'hui." --Thomas Voeckler
(At the risk of sounding pretentious, it wasn't the great Thomas today)

I LOVE him.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
I hope he's back next year.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

Bolivar posted:

Then start adding in poo poo like the bikes / wheels / tyres are faster than when all those absurd times were done. Put Nibbles on a 1996 or even 2000 bike, he'll be a minute or more slower again.

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

What an awesome stage. Lol if you think Nibali is doping.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Cat Terrist posted:

Then start adding in poo poo like the bikes / wheels / tyres are faster than when all those absurd times were done. Put Nibbles on a 1996 or even 2000 bike, he'll be a minute or more slower again.

Yep, okay, you're absolutely right. Its the bike, totally the bike. Nothing to see here, move on people.

strangemusic
Aug 7, 2008

I shield you because I need charge
Is not because I like you or anything!

Russian Bear posted:

This is not an emptyquote. God drat can that guy ever accelerate.

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

Russian Bear posted:

Of course he is lol

Badfinger
Dec 16, 2004

Timeouts?!

We'll take care of that.
I assume he's doping, yes. Everyone is doping. It's not casting aspersions on him specifically. He's a good rider that I assume is doping.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
I'm just disappointed at how bad everyone else is at doping.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

serious gaylord posted:

Yep, okay, you're absolutely right. Its the bike, totally the bike. Nothing to see here, move on people.

And yet again you miss the point. There is nothing remarkable about what Nibbles is doing.

quote:

I assume he's doping, yes. Everyone is doping. It's not casting aspersions on him specifically. He's a good rider that I assume is doping.

Every single professional sportsman dopes in some way (That's not to say all doping is illegal) but clearly this TdF has performances back in the "Yep, that's actually believeable" area so whatever the teams are doing (legal or illegal), it's not some sort of Team Sky jungle juice. It's probably about as clean as we're ever going to get and probably cleaner than any winner in the last 50 years outside of Cuddles.

Knitting Beetles
Feb 4, 2006

Fallen Rib

Cat Terrist posted:

And yet again you miss the point. There is nothing remarkable about what Nibbles is doing.

If you take out the times before 50% hematocrit was enforced only Armstrong remains with a better time. That's somewhat remarkable.

serious gaylord posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IaVcb0iTRFo&feature=youtu.be&t=1m26s

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

6.1 w/kg? I'm not impressed.

Box Hill Strangler
Jun 27, 2007

Frozen peas are on special at Woolies! Bargain!
Must have been some hardcore drafting by Rojas for a DQ. Considering we watched Stybar (?) in Paris-Nice draft a team car for 20k and only get 2 minutes or something.

Horners Saddle has to be the least used piece of equipment in the peloton.

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

I'd love to live in a world where Vino runs a clean team. Can you imagine.

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

Another thing to consider is that this stage was super short and the climb up Hautacam came after a long descent. 90s mountain stages were longer.

Is he doping during the race? I doubt it. In training however..

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

Russian Bear posted:

Another thing to consider is that this stage was super short and the climb up Hautacam came after a long descent. 90s mountain stages were longer.

Is he doping during the race? I doubt it. In training however..

Yeah that is fair, he isn't some no name popping up and destroying people Sky style. Deserving winner. Wish the race was closer but grand tours are too controlled these days for the most part. Need smaller teams.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Cat Terrist posted:

Every single professional sportsman dopes in some way (That's not to say all doping is illegal) but clearly this TdF has performances back in the "Yep, that's actually believeable" area so whatever the teams are doing (legal or illegal), it's not some sort of Team Sky jungle juice. It's probably about as clean as we're ever going to get and probably cleaner than any winner in the last 50 years outside of Cuddles.

Everything you're saying now is exactly the same thing as what Armstrong supporters were saying. 'He's slower than the guys from Festina' 'The bikes have gotten quicker' 'Marginal gains'. Think about that for a second.

If you honestly think the sport is now cleaner than it has been in the last 50 years theres honestly no point even continuing to talk about this.