Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
GenericServices
Apr 28, 2010
The boarding action would probably be a lot more fun in A Time of War scale, but that would entail teaching an entire RPG over the Internet. Those suits are vicious, though, without reaching Ironhold (Fire) levels of cheese. Pity we'll have to wait to see them fight.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company
Last-second tiebreaker attempt for E. Which may not make it in in time, but it's worth a shot!

Raised by Hamsters
Sep 16, 2007

and hopped up on bagels
Pfft, tiebreaker. "Both" is a clear victory for the peanut gallery!

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

B! :getin:

Wonder if we'll see any live-fire exercise casualties?

Also, doesn't it seem wasteful to let such valuable mechs duke it out for real just for practice? I thought mechs (especially such advanced ones) were what mattered, not people?

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

E because stealing stuff is cool.

The Merry Marauder
Apr 4, 2009

"But she goes not abroad, in search of monsters to destroy. She is the well-wisher to the freedom and independence of all. She is the champion and vindicator only of her own."

Dolash posted:

Also, doesn't it seem wasteful to let such valuable mechs duke it out for real just for practice? I thought mechs (especially such advanced ones) were what mattered, not people?

Don't forget that they're descendants of an early edition of Clanner. They have a very specific Blooding tradition for entry to the Warrior caste.

Now, the shock/proving value of using live ammo is probably somewhat muted, these being NRWR combat veterans, not test-tube teenyboppers, but a tradition is a tradition.

The Merry Marauder fucked around with this message at 03:01 on Jul 25, 2014

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS

SynthOrange posted:

E because stealing stuff is cool.

B because I live to make PTN's life difficu--wait :confused:

apostateCourier posted:

I foresee many Payday references in our futures.

I want a mech equipped with a Thermal Lance. One you have to pick up off the map, and someone yells in your ear every turn "GUYS, THE THERMAL LANCE, GO GET IT"

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat

Dolash posted:

Hole digging economy, minus all the surplus nobles to send to The Military.

The Republic as a whole doesn't necessarily have more `Mechs than people willing to use them but some of their best elite units (like the 331st) do.

Psion posted:

But it just means you guys don't get an update until Wednesday at the earliest. It's too late for me to write now. :eng99:

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
B! I want to see how well the players can slip past enemy defenses.

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

You're going to try ponies and you're. Going. To. LOVE. ME!!
Is C3i the thing that makes pilots go batshit insane?

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Artificer posted:

Is C3i the thing that makes pilots go batshit insane?

No, that's the various flavors of Direct Neural Interface. C3i is just a fancy networked HUD that weighs 3 tons because the eighties.

Paingod556
Nov 8, 2011

Not a problem, sir

Psion posted:

I want a mech equipped with a Thermal Lance. One you have to pick up off the map, and someone yells in your ear every turn "GUYS, THE THERMAL LANCE, GO GET IT"

"Who the gently caress sold us this Mech, Clan Jade Falcon?!"

So, fast Medium, special armour, automatic 40mm gyrojet... I am double sanguine, ie. Bloody delighted :D

Voting E because I want my Payday... As well. Wouldn't mind a clusterfuck duel objective though- double the glory :black101:

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Well, the one AC/5 model that Sarna has details for is a 120 mm that fires 3 round bursts. ACs vary wildly from manufacturer to manufacturer.

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

Can someone give me a run down on the Minnesota Tribe and the 331st? Are they clanlike? Similar to Clan Wolverine at all? I don't know much about them.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Artificer posted:

Can someone give me a run down on the Minnesota Tribe and the 331st? Are they clanlike? Similar to Clan Wolverine at all? I don't know much about them.

Minnesota Tribe is a band of mystery pirates sometimes seen on the edge of nowhere, bearing insignia that resembles a Star League outfit that left with Kerensky. Source material is deliberately vague about their possible origins but fan consensus is that they're probably remnants of Clan Wolverine, as shown here. They first show up about 2 years after the annihilation of Clan Wolverine and fight like the SLDF.

dis astranagant fucked around with this message at 03:57 on Jul 25, 2014

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

Artificer posted:

Can someone give me a run down on the Minnesota Tribe and the 331st? Are they clanlike? Similar to Clan Wolverinof thee at all? I don't know much about them.

No one does. Except PTN in this timeline, that is.

In the original fluff, the Minnesota Tribe were refugees in advanced ships who crossed part of the Inner Sphere in 2825. The cut a swath across the Draconis Combine, raiding to take what they wanted without ever communicating with the Kuritans. Then they vanished into the Deep Periphery and were never heard from again. One corpse was recovered by ComStar and was wearing SLDF colors and the insignia of the 331s Royal Battlemech Regiment, as well as the symbol of a wolverine.

By way of "coincidence" Clan Wolverine was destroyed in 2823, though after the final battle there weren't enough dead people compared to the number of people who should have been there...

So yeah, the Minnesota Tribe are all but certainly survivors of Clan Wolverine who fled through the Inner Sphere, but in the original universe they vanished so on one knows what they're like now. Or if they even survived out there.

In the PTNverse they seem to have kept some Clan ways, including trials, but these seem to be trials of teamwork rather than individual prowess. It also explains how the NRWR has such a tech lead over the rest of the Sphere.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

Artificer posted:

The reason for the name is that they literally bore insignia from SLDF-era Earth, namely Minnesota.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
A Short Canon History of the Minnesota Tribe:

One fine Clan day, a short time after he murdered his brother during Operation Klondike, Nicholas Kerensky realized that he was losing control of the Clans.

So he picked one that was lead by someone he didn't like, in this case Clan Wolverine, and he invented a reason to kill all of them. He succeeded, basically, but a small number of Wolverine's second line reservist units and civilians managed to escape. Being the brilliant genius and completionist that he is, Nicholas promptly sweeps this under the rug, pats himself on the back, and hangs a "mission accomplished" banner.

Two years after, a group of Mystery Raiders using the symbol of the SLDF's Minnesota 331st regiment turns up at the edge of Kurita space, raids a few worlds for food or supplies without once communicating with anyone, and otherwise just linger around for a while being creepy while they do a slow circuit of the Periphery. Eventually they work their way around the outskirts of the Inner Sphere past the FedSuns, Capellans, and Free Worlders until vanishing some time after sweeping through the area formerly controlled by the Rim World Republic (and currently controlled by the Lyrans). Then they just vanish and are never seen again.

Some time in the 3070s, Chandrasekhar Kurita invents proof that they're actually Word of Blake's shadow division in order to convince the Ghost Bears to stop being perfectly fine while everyone else is dying help rescue the Inner Sphere from the Jihad.

PoptartsNinja fucked around with this message at 04:06 on Jul 25, 2014

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

Which always made me wonder. Wouldn't Michigan be the correct state for Wolverines on the run?

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

There's a good half dozen canon theories about them, but most are pretty thoroughly discredited.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

jng2058 posted:

Which always made me wonder. Wouldn't Michigan be the correct state for Wolverines on the run?

It would be, but they hosed up the joke. :ssh:

Insert joke about the 331st parade colors being blue, white, and yellow.

Scintilla
Aug 24, 2010

I BEAT HIGHFORT
and all I got was this
jackass monkey

Shoeless posted:

Superheavies may not mount Jump Jets or Partial Wings. With their slow speed, Superheavies really are regulated to missions like the previous one, ie "Hold the line at all costs". As soon as you need speed/mobility, Superheavies become very nonviable.

Are you sure? I mean it makes sense from a fluff perspective, but MML normally lets you know if you're doing something illegal. The only sources I can find on the matter explicitly state that they are unofficial rules.

the JJ
Mar 31, 2011

jng2058 posted:

I'm sure you mean Colorado.

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

So what did Clan Wolverine do? Is there any information on them? Did they have shticks like other clans? (Hell's Horses = vehicles) and such? Going into battle screaming WOLVERINEEEESSSS??

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

Artificer posted:

So what did Clan Wolverine do? Is there any information on them? Did they have shticks like other clans? (Hell's Horses = vehicles) and such? Going into battle screaming WOLVERINEEEESSSS??

I believe their gimmick was that they really liked democracy (and not Nicholas Kerensky), and together with the Goliath Scorpions and Ghost Bears formed the 'not assholes' faction.

GenericServices
Apr 28, 2010

Artificer posted:

Their Khan, a lady named Sarah McEvedy, was a good friend of Andery Kerensky, the brother PTN mentioned above. She was not at all amused when he died, and more to the point, she decided to mostly ignore Nicky-K's wacky Clan business and run the Wolverines as a competent and intelligent society. She emphasized research and industrial development, and she de-emphasized the Individualist Warrior OORAH thing. Naturally the Wolverines flourished and Nicky the Wiz got antsy about how well they were doing, as it undermined his entire program of societal reorganization. Eventually the Ravens and the Wolverines had a spat over a cache of SLDF goods, and Nicky tried to have Sarah censured in the Clan Council.

This happened (quoted from Sarna):

A Minor Dispute posted:

Kerensky [ilKhan]: My honorable friend, the Khan from Clan Wolverine, continues to ignore the decisions of this body as verified by the recent Trial. I do not care that the cache is of the 331st Royal Division, her father's command. This body is agreed that the caches are a resource belonging to the Clans as a whole. In the old order, her paternal loyalty would be commended, but this is not the old order. We are the Clans. We stand on our own merits, not those of our ancestors.

Sarah McEvedy [Wolverine]: Except you.

Kerensky [ilKhan]: I beg your pardon?

McEvedy: I said, except you. You seem perfectly happy to bask in your father's achievements. He was a visionary who sought justice and peace for all. You seek control.

Mitchell Loris [Mongoose]: Khan McEvedy, you go too far.

McEvedy: Do I? I know many of you in this chamber found our ilKhan's actions to secure control of the Pentagon population offensive. The Star League did not believe in torture and brutality. Those are the tools of power hungry madmen. Is that what you have become, Nicholas Kerensky? A power hungry madman?

[Raised voices from all parties]

Kerensky: SILENCE! McEvedy, Khan of Clan Wolverine, I, Nicholas Kerensky, ilKhan of the Clans, do call for a Trial of Grievance. By our law, you may...

McEvedy: Hang your laws. Does the truth hurt so much, Nicholas?

Kerensky: Fellow Khans, our colleague is clearly overwrought. I call for a vote of censure. Loremaster Ward, please...

McEvedy: Don't bother, Nicholas. I'll leave. In fact, we'll all leave. Clan Wolverine no longer recognizes the authority of the ilKhan or the Grand Council. From this point forward, we are an independent power. We decide our own fate, fairly and according to the morals and standards of the Star League.

Kerensky: You cannot do this.

McEvedy: I can and I have.

[McEvedy moves to leave.]

Kerensky: Arrest her!

[McEvedy draws her pistol; the Khans and security guards back off. A detachment of Wolverine troops arrives.]

McEvedy: If you want to face us, fine. But we will not hold back. Prepare to reap the whirlwind.

[McEvedy storms out]

Kerensky: My Khans, we face a serious decision...

Shortly thereafter, fighting started with the Wolverines' neighbors, and there was a small incident with a tac-nuke going off over a Snow Raven genetic repository. Things went downhill.

Scintilla
Aug 24, 2010

I BEAT HIGHFORT
and all I got was this
jackass monkey
Basically the other Clans consider the Wolverines to be scum and even mentioning them by name is grounds for censure. If they were pissed when they found out that Amaris had a living descendant, they're going to absolutely flip when they learn that the Wolverines not only survived but are actively aiding him.

Keru
Aug 2, 2004

'n suddenly there was a terrible roar all around us 'n the sky was full of what looked like 'uge bats, all swooping 'n screeching 'n divin' around the ute.
In short, it's going to be loving amazing when it happens.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

One way or another I don't think anyone in the Inner Sphere not on a beeline from the Pentagon Worlds to Rim World space have much to worry about from the clans once they find out. Between the mad rush at 2 ancient grudges and the inevitable fallout from having to admit that Nicky K hosed up :suspense:

Though I guess the Widowmakers eating the Wolves instead of the other way around might put a damper on some of that last part.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
I see voting is over but just in case: E

I imagine a wolverine holding onto objects like a sloth does. Or like that lime-holding meme.

Holybat
Dec 22, 2006

I made this while you were asleep.

PoptartsNinja posted:

Some time in the 3070s, Chandrasekhar Kurita invents proof that they're actually Word of Blake's shadow division in order to convince the Ghost Bears to stop being perfectly fine while everyone else is dying help rescue the Inner Sphere from the Jihad.

Some of the more interesting bits from the later Jihad books was that the Ghost Bears went full-on crazy with war crimes against the WOB and they weren't keen on differentiating between Manei Domini and regular WOB Militia grunts. They were even shooting up Coalition forces that took prisoners to get to any WOB POWs. And that was just from rumors.

So it'll be interesting to see how they and other Clans like the Snow Ravens who actually were screwed up by the Wolverines in the canon Annihilation Trial go absolutely apeshit when they run into a military unit that is flat out telling them that they're the descendants of Clan Wolverine and they give no fucks :c00lbert:

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

GenericServices posted:

Shortly thereafter, fighting started with the Wolverines' neighbors, and there was a small incident with a tac-nuke going off over a Snow Raven genetic repository. Things went downhill.

Most of the Clans were starting to do their own thing at that point. That's why Nicholas wanted to make an example of one, and quickly, while he still had significant influence over them all. Interestingly, it's this same timeframe that shaped the Falcons into one of the more conservative Clans. They were actually pretty liberal at the time, and another of the Clans good old Nick was considering using as an example. In fact, some of their castes were having a protest at the time, when he mentioned he was dropping by for a visit. The Falcon Khans at the time saw the implicit threat of that, and weren't willing to blatantly go against every other Clan the way the Wolverines did, and so cracked down on it with brutal force, where previously they'd allowed them.

As for the Wolverines, if I recall correctly it was initially a Trial of Absorption(at least theoretically) called after McEvedy walked out, and only got bumped up to Annihilation after they dropped a nuke on the Snow Ravens Genetic Repository. McEvedy's biggest flaw was a short temper, as it's possible she could have reversed the tables on Nicholas with some work, but she instead exploded.

Incidentally, the Snow Ravens seem to be the go-to Clan in-verse when the writers just wanted to beat up on one without actually destroying it. They got devastated during the Wars of Reaving too, to the point that they basically got absorbed by a Periphery State.

The Wars of Reaving were fun. Also known as the Adders play chessmaster(rather successfully) and the Vipers are loving idiots who manage to accidentally, but absolutely perfectly, set up their own Annihilation.

Shoeless
Sep 2, 2011

Scintilla posted:

Are you sure? I mean it makes sense from a fluff perspective, but MML normally lets you know if you're doing something illegal. The only sources I can find on the matter explicitly state that they are unofficial rules.

Page 225 in Field Manual 3145.

Edit: On the topic of Wolverines getting their asses kicked, the whole "nuking a genetic repository" was probably one of their less good ideas. I know in canon there's some evidence to suggest that it was staged, but I actually kind of hope that in PTN's timeline that isn't the case, and the Wolverines are dicks like everyone else. It's Battletech, if someone's identifiable as an absolute good guy then something's wrong.

Shoeless fucked around with this message at 07:24 on Jul 25, 2014

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

So the Wolverines were reasonable people? I wonder if they still are? Or if, since they are working with Amaris, they may or may not also be batfuck insane?

Scintilla
Aug 24, 2010

I BEAT HIGHFORT
and all I got was this
jackass monkey

Shoeless posted:

Page 225 in Field Manual 3145.

I don't have that book, so I'll take your word for it. It makes sense, something that big would pretty much require rocket engines to jump.

Weissritter
Jun 14, 2012

Lord Koth posted:

Most of the Clans were starting to do their own thing at that point. That's why Nicholas wanted to make an example of one, and quickly, while he still had significant influence over them all. Interestingly, it's this same timeframe that shaped the Falcons into one of the more conservative Clans. They were actually pretty liberal at the time, and another of the Clans good old Nick was considering using as an example. In fact, some of their castes were having a protest at the time, when he mentioned he was dropping by for a visit. The Falcon Khans at the time saw the implicit threat of that, and weren't willing to blatantly go against every other Clan the way the Wolverines did, and so cracked down on it with brutal force, where previously they'd allowed them.

As for the Wolverines, if I recall correctly it was initially a Trial of Absorption(at least theoretically) called after McEvedy walked out, and only got bumped up to Annihilation after they dropped a nuke on the Snow Ravens Genetic Repository. McEvedy's biggest flaw was a short temper, as it's possible she could have reversed the tables on Nicholas with some work, but she instead exploded.

Incidentally, the Snow Ravens seem to be the go-to Clan in-verse when the writers just wanted to beat up on one without actually destroying it. They got devastated during the Wars of Reaving too, to the point that they basically got absorbed by a Periphery State.

The Wars of Reaving were fun. Also known as the Adders play chessmaster(rather successfully) and the Vipers are loving idiots who manage to accidentally, but absolutely perfectly, set up their own Annihilation.

I do not know much about the Clan's infancy, as I did not get those books. Was it explained why the Wolves went the way they did? I mean, if Nicholas Kerensky decided to add himself to the Wolves, I would expect them to be one of the more conservative Clans rather than one of the most liberal in the canon time line.

I did get the WoR book though, the Snow Ravens did not get absorb, no? It seems more similar to what the Ghost Bears did, due to them being impressed by their pilots.

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

Break bread wit the enemy

X GON GIVE IT TO YA
People I care about and want to succeed in order.

1. NRWR
2. CAPPELLANS
3. HELLS HORSES

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Weissritter posted:

I do not know much about the Clan's infancy, as I did not get those books. Was it explained why the Wolves went the way they did? I mean, if Nicholas Kerensky decided to add himself to the Wolves, I would expect them to be one of the more conservative Clans rather than one of the most liberal in the canon time line.

I did get the WoR book though, the Snow Ravens did not get absorb, no? It seems more similar to what the Ghost Bears did, due to them being impressed by their pilots.

The Wolves had everyone's favorite idiot ilKhan defending their every move and a near sacred status as home of the Kerensky legacy. The most conservative clans are all ones that could very easily have been the next No-Name Clan or ones run by utter sycophants circa 2830.

Ferrosol
Nov 8, 2010

Notorious J.A.M

Weissritter posted:

Basically the three people who founded Clan Wolf were Jerome Winson, Andrei Kerensky and Jennifer Winson. AKA Nicky Kerensky's brother-in-law, brother and wife so they got away with a lot initially thanks to good old fashioned nepotism and later on due to being the clan of the "great kerensky's"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Weissritter
Jun 14, 2012

I am surprised they turned out warden though, what with Nicky's personality as you all described from Operation: Klondlike. Also, he murdered his brother?

• Locked thread