Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

fspades posted:

I let Letho go because essentially he was right. He wasn't Geralt's enemy and it was Geralt's fault to let himself entangled in Northern politics. The game repeatedly bashes you in the head that Geralt has no place in the noble's world. He is no hero and the more he tries to be one, the worse it gets for everyone around him.

Killing an old friend for some naive sense of justice achieves nothing and it felt too much after all the bloodshed.

gently caress that Foltest was Geralt's friend too and he deserved better than to be killed in front of his kids. Besides even if the witcher world does it's damnedest to make things bleak and color everything in shades of grey I have no problem with saying that killing a man who brought upon the death of hundreds of men and elves is justice. It's actually really interesting to play the witcher games as a paladin type, far more so than a mass effect or dragon age, because of the effects that doing something morally good such as killing Henselt can cause.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
I'd forgotten actually that at the start of the game Geralt is helping Foltest fight a war. Sort of foreshadows what Letho's up to I guess.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax

Gaius Marius posted:

gently caress that Foltest was Geralt's friend too
I never got that feeling considering Geralt spent all his time around Foltest wanting to be anywhere else.

Asehujiko
Apr 6, 2011

cmykjester posted:

If anything foltest owes Geralt, where are my thousands of Orens that he promised me in the witcher 1? I started 2 with only like 250.
Probably with a Temerian bank somewhere because the coins shown in the w1 ending cutscene were pretty big and why would you bring 10 grand in pseudo-medieval value gold with you when you're going to siege a castle.

Will W3 even have Orens? They seem to be accepted in Temeria, the Pontar Valley and Kaedwen but I can't remember if that's because they're internationally recognized everywhere or simply their material value as gold chunks. Novigrad was mentioned as having their own money, Crowns or something.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

The Sharmat posted:

I never got that feeling considering Geralt spent all his time around Foltest wanting to be anywhere else.

I don't know despite his bitching he seemed pretty okay being his guard dog. Besides who doesn't like Foltest he's the broest of kings.

Roshnak
Jul 22, 2007
The first game made a pretty big deal about how Witchers aren't supposed to kill Witchers, so I didn't kill Letho (more than once). I even kept Berengar alive through the boss fight in TW1, not that it made any difference, you couldn't even talk to him afterward.

The Joe Man
Apr 7, 2007

Flirting With Apathetic Waitresses Since 1984

Asehujiko posted:

Will W3 even have Orens? They seem to be accepted in Temeria, the Pontar Valley and Kaedwen but I can't remember if that's because they're internationally recognized everywhere or simply their material value as gold chunks. Novigrad was mentioned as having their own money, Crowns or something.

I might be confusing it with another game but I think they mentioned there'd be multiple types of currency.

COOKIEMONSTER
Oct 31, 2006
As an affluent straight white male I know quite a bit second hand what it's like to be incredibly poor and oppressed.

Roshnak posted:

The first game made a pretty big deal about how Witchers aren't supposed to kill Witchers, so I didn't kill Letho (more than once). I even kept Berengar alive through the boss fight in TW1, not that it made any difference, you couldn't even talk to him afterward.

"I'm a witcher no more" -Letho

Comte de Saint-Germain
Mar 26, 2001

Snouk but and snouk ben,
I find the smell of an earthly man,
Be he living, or be he dead,
His heart this night shall kitchen my bread.
http://uk.ign.com/videos/2014/07/25/the-witcher-3s-comic-con-demo-was-fantastic-comic-con-2014

hey guys we're at comicon

Khagan
Aug 8, 2012

Words cannot describe just how terrible Vietnamese are.
Is this new footage?

alex314
Nov 22, 2007

"It's the wild hunt, you've got to hunt things"
:eng99:

Comte de Saint-Germain
Mar 26, 2001

Snouk but and snouk ben,

Khagan posted:

Is this new footage?

It's the long e3 demo, but we're not allowing recording so unless you are in SD you'll have to wait.

Lava Lamp Goddess
Feb 19, 2007

Did you guys give out swag? Anyway to buy said swag from someone?

cmykJester
Feb 16, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Anyone happen to know if Amazon will get more copies of the witcher3 CE? I twitched and missed it :(

Comte de Saint-Germain
Mar 26, 2001

Snouk but and snouk ben,

Lava Lamp Goddess posted:

Did you guys give out swag? Anyway to buy said swag from someone?

Not sure, but probably.

Best bet on swag is the collector's edition. Pre-order more, I need a vacation (after we ship).

http://buy.thewitcher.com/

Lava Lamp Goddess
Feb 19, 2007

Comte de Saint-Germain posted:

Not sure, but probably.

Best bet on swag is the collector's edition. Pre-order more, I need a vacation (after we ship).

Already pre-ordered. Used some of my college refund money, so you can thank the US government for that.

Comte de Saint-Germain
Mar 26, 2001

Snouk but and snouk ben,

Already pre-ordered. Used some of my college refund money, so you can thank the US government for that.

thanks, obama

Senjuro
Aug 19, 2006
Comte de Saint-Germain, will the GOG version of The Witcher 3 have something equivalent to Steam Cloud? It's the only thing keeping me from pre-ordering on GOG instead of Steam.

Senjuro fucked around with this message at 13:33 on Jul 25, 2014

alex314
Nov 22, 2007

Not sure, but probably.

What kind of bribe would you accept to put me on preorder list for polish collector's edition for PC? :)

Comte de Saint-Germain
Mar 26, 2001

Snouk but and snouk ben,
I can't answer any questions about marketing and stuff (or anything else really), and I accept no bribes. Until we ship I'm just a shill.

Khazar-khum
Oct 22, 2008

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
2nd Battalion
IS there anywhere we can buy Witcher gear,m like shirts/posters etc?

alex314
Nov 22, 2007

Khazar-khum posted:

IS there anywhere we can buy Witcher gear,m like shirts/posters etc?

I saw stuff like that:
http://puzzle.cdp.pl/produkt/puzzle-1500-wiedzmin-2-triss
http://www.ebay.pl/itm/WITCHER-2-JIGSAW-PUZZLES-1500-PIECES-LIMITED-EDITION-85x58-TRISS-MERIGOLD-/321374958488
Those are jigsaw puzzle + poster sets.

buildmorefarms
Aug 13, 2004

любоваться
Doctor Rope
If you poke around on ebay you can score the Polish Playboy which stars Triss as the cover art/centerfold piece :heysexy:

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

I hate that I know this, but you can download the "pictures" from that as part of the Witcher 2 bonus content pack on GOG. It's too bad Comte can't answer any questions about marketing, because I would love to get an insight on the thought processes that went into this weird-rear end promotion :stare:

buildmorefarms
Aug 13, 2004

любоваться
Doctor Rope
I can't even read the articles, my mum is gonna flip!!

Zeppelin Insanity
Oct 28, 2009

Wahnsinn
Einfach
Wahnsinn

Cross-Section posted:

I hate that I know this, but you can download the "pictures" from that as part of the Witcher 2 bonus content pack on GOG. It's too bad Comte can't answer any questions about marketing, because I would love to get an insight on the thought processes that went into this weird-rear end promotion :stare:

As a Polish person, it's not that big a deal. My main issue with it is it doesn't really fit the tone of the game, and also I don't get why people would get excited about a CGI image of a naked woman. If they're going the Playboy route, I actually expected them to get a model that looks like Triss.

Really, sex is considered part of the world of The Witcher, and the series is a fairly big part of modern Polish culture. An excerpt from Sword of Destiny was in my primary school (or maybe it was the halfway school between primary and high school) curriculum. It was in the course book right next to The Hobbit, and it was a scene with Geralt in a hot tub with another dude and his two women bodyguards, and Geralt was asked to pick which one he wants to sleep with. No one thought it was a big deal.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
So do Americans seem like giant prudes to Polish people or what?

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx

The Sharmat posted:

So do Americans seem like giant prudes to Polish people or what?

To pretty much everyone.
Americans are also crazy in regards to violence. Severed heads and guts spilling out on TV? No problem!
But woe to the man who broadcasts a naked breast.

Comte de Saint-Germain
Mar 26, 2001

Snouk but and snouk ben,

Cross-Section posted:

Th answer is, "europe is different".

cmykJester
Feb 16, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
I always got the idea that Poland was kind of proud of the Witcher. I mean it's a series that got some international success and I remember that they have actually given president Obama a copy of the collectors edition of the witcher 2 along with the novels.

Comte de Saint-Germain
Mar 26, 2001

Snouk but and snouk ben,

cmykjester posted:

I always got the idea that Poland was kind of proud of the Witcher. I mean it's a series that got some international success and I remember that they have actually given president Obama a copy of the collectors edition of the witcher 2 along with the novels.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t-PDQsetTE8

This was big news here. Even for me, Obama didn't say poo poo about Alpha Protocol.

Zeppelin Insanity
Oct 28, 2009

Wahnsinn
Einfach
Wahnsinn

cmykjester posted:

It's not just proud, really. Like I said, it's an integral part of modern Polish culture now. It's part of the school curriculum. If someone in their 20s in a casual conversation mentions they haven't read the books, the answer is usually along the lines of "What?".

Lava Lamp Goddess
Feb 19, 2007

Zeppelin Insanity posted:

It's not just proud, really. Like I said, it's an integral part of modern Polish culture now. It's part of the school curriculum. If someone in their 20s in a casual conversation mentions they haven't read the books, the answer is usually along the lines of "What?".

I'm surprised the rights to the story hasn't been sold for a TV show or movie. I mean, I know that old tv series exists, but you'd think they'd want something new. GoT is super popular, why not Witcher? It could totally work.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

I'm surprised the rights to the story hasn't been sold for a TV show or movie. I mean, I know that old tv series exists, but you'd think they'd want something new. GoT is super popular, why not Witcher? It could totally work.

Probably because there isnt a production studio in Poland that has the money to make a good version of it and it is not popular in the US where a production studio like HBO makes all of its money.

Burns
May 10, 2008

Th answer is, "europe is different".

Isnt this more of a fuckup from the censorship people (violence on tv compared to film)?

As for a US tv series. HBO will need something new to milk when grrm dies.

alex314
Nov 22, 2007

Witcher story based on books is relatively easy to put on tv screen: you start with short, mostly contained stories, and if you get popular enough you can start Nilfgaardian invasion arc with Ciri. Sapkowski is alive and well, so there's no problem with adding more stories as your series goes.

Comte de Saint-Germain
Mar 26, 2001

Snouk but and snouk ben,

Burns posted:

Isnt this more of a fuckup from the censorship people (violence on tv compared to film)?

As for a US tv series. HBO will need something new to milk when grrm dies.

Censorship reflects cultural values.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
I can't make Thunderbolt. I go to make it and it says "Item Not Completed..." Is this a bug, or is there some advanced level of potion making that I haven't attained yet?

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.

2house2fly posted:

I can't make Thunderbolt. I go to make it and it says "Item Not Completed..." Is this a bug, or is there some advanced level of potion making that I haven't attained yet?

As I understand it, the problem is caused by Thunderbolt requiring 2 of its ingredients instead of 1, which is rare, and the problem is that you the game lets you set the slider for more potions than you have ingredients for. So try making Thunderbolts one at a time instead of in a batch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Khazar-khum
Oct 22, 2008

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
2nd Battalion

alex314 posted:

Witcher story based on books is relatively easy to put on tv screen: you start with short, mostly contained stories, and if you get popular enough you can start Nilfgaardian invasion arc with Ciri. Sapkowski is alive and well, so there's no problem with adding more stories as your series goes.

Do it like 'Kung Fu': Interweave sections of the very young Geralt doing his Witcher training with the ongoing story. It avoids information dumps and builds interest. I would avoid Ciri as much as possible since that story arc leaves Geralt on the sidelines.

• Locked thread