Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gozinbulx
Feb 19, 2004
The current generation quad core Boxes (not sticks) with rk3188 and s802 chips are miles ahead of previous tech.

The UI is fine for me. If that's all "Android TV" has to bring to the table, I don't care too much.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wolfbiker
Nov 6, 2009
I wasn't talking about one of the hundreds of Android boxes and sticks you can buy on AliExpress with a stupid air mouse, but rather a proper box my parents could go into a Best Buy and purchase. The FireTV also requires too much fuckery for them.

Gozinbulx
Feb 19, 2004
What is it you are trying to do exactly?

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Im waiting for this too. A box that you set up and is idiot proof. Like boxee box if it actually worked right. I'd like to share movies with my parents via a shared directory, possibly google drive, that is scanned by xbmc.

Gozinbulx
Feb 19, 2004
With a little work on your part (and not your parents) this should be possible now.

Android (or FiteTV, or NUC) boots straight into XBMC, customize home screen to include only Movies and TV and maybe a link to Genesis add on (labeled Streaming Movies or comething). Set your shared drive thing as a source.

Is this not more or less what you're imagining?

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Gozinbulx posted:

With a little work on your part (and not your parents) this should be possible now.

Android (or FiteTV, or NUC) boots straight into XBMC, customize home screen to include only Movies and TV and maybe a link to Genesis add on (labeled Streaming Movies or comething). Set your shared drive thing as a source.

Is this not more or less what you're imagining?

Yeah I guess, and actually if it were set up with windows and chrome, I could use that chrome remote desktop to fix it when they break it.

What is the genesis addon ? Also, how fast of a connection would one need to watch a 8gig mkv from a remote directory... I think they have a 15mbit connection.

G-Prime
Apr 30, 2003

Baby, when it's love,
if it's not rough it isn't fun.

jonathan posted:

Also, how fast of a connection would one need to watch a 8gig mkv from a remote directory... I think they have a 15mbit connection.

It'd be based on the bitrate of the video in question and how long it is. I'm assuming that's a 1080p video with medium quality, so it'd be between 8 and 15mbit, most likely.

Gozinbulx
Feb 19, 2004

jonathan posted:

Yeah I guess, and actually if it were set up with windows and chrome, I could use that chrome remote desktop to fix it when they break it.

What is the genesis addon ? Also, how fast of a connection would one need to watch a 8gig mkv from a remote directory... I think they have a 15mbit connection.

Genesis is the brainchild of the the maker of GO movies and GOTV (a dev named Lambda). It basically combines the two. It scrapes sources from Icefilms, VK, Yify, ect so it's kinda like a super addon to end all addons. I have never encountered a show or movie that doesn't have a working source. 99% of the time, the first source works. It can also be configured to auto-play the first source and then move on if it doesnt work.

If you're gonna be sharing stuff over the net that big, you either need to transcode (like plex) or set a big buffer in XBMC (at least 50 mb) to try to avoid stuttering issues. 15 mbit shoudl be enough, the question is how fast is your connection (you hosting the files) UPLOADING. That will be the man bottleneck probably.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Gozinbulx posted:

Genesis is the brainchild of the the maker of GO movies and GOTV (a dev named Lambda). It basically combines the two. It scrapes sources from Icefilms, VK, Yify, ect so it's kinda like a super addon to end all addons. I have never encountered a show or movie that doesn't have a working source. 99% of the time, the first source works. It can also be configured to auto-play the first source and then move on if it doesnt work.

If you're gonna be sharing stuff over the net that big, you either need to transcode (like plex) or set a big buffer in XBMC (at least 50 mb) to try to avoid stuttering issues. 15 mbit shoudl be enough, the question is how fast is your connection (you hosting the files) UPLOADING. That will be the man bottleneck probably.

Cool thanks for the info. Maybe I will just ship an sdcard back and forth.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

jonathan posted:

Cool thanks for the info. Maybe I will just ship an sdcard back and forth.

If I was doing this, I'd just set up Plex for them and run Plex Media Server at your place.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Thermopyle posted:

If I was doing this, I'd just set up Plex for them and run Plex Media Server at your place.

I'm already running plex media server but I'm getting subpar performance from it and not sure why.

I suppose my LG smart TV just could be crummy at decoding. It's wired on 100mbit, and the server is an i3 NUC on a 1000mbit to the router.

Resources show like 10% CPU usage when transcoding or streaming a high bit rate movie.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Actually what are some decent boxes that have a plex client ? Maybe that is the solution. I can do 15mbit upwards, will plex server know to downgrade bitrate for an internet connection ?

Astronaut Jones
Oct 18, 2007
Destination Moon

jonathan posted:

Actually what are some decent boxes that have a plex client ? Maybe that is the solution. I can do 15mbit upwards, will plex server know to downgrade bitrate for an internet connection ?

..the FireTV. I do Plex between my gfs house and mine and it can stream 1080p at max quality without issue, but we're on FIOS at both ends.

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Do not forget the face of your father.
Fun Shoe

jonathan posted:

FireTV has a good one. The Roku official app sucks but the unofficial app Rarflix is an improvement. An i3 should be plenty for transcoding so that sounds like a problem with the LG. When you say bad performance what is it specifically? Hitching, buffering, long loads, etc?

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

jonathan posted:

In the meantime you can use the plex Web server to check out streaming on a computer to see if there's a problem with plex media server or if it's your TV.

It should handle figuring out your connection speed, but there's also options in the server and the client to fool around with.

Giraffe
Dec 12, 2005

Soiled Meat
Is anyone here using XBMC as a frontend to view MythTV recordings? I've been running MythTV for years and years, but recently found out XBMC could talk to MythTV backends so I tried it out. I'm blown away by the beauty and flexibility of the skins and the seamless interface to ripped TV shows and movies, but I'm finding myself unable to do some seemingly basic things with the PVR recordings themselves, e.g. displaying recordings for a given show ordered by their original air date or scheduling new recording rules. I wouldn't be at all surprised if there was a MythTV-optimized skin out there, but none of my Googling has turned up anything so I figured I'd ask here.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Plex apps for TVs blow.

Plex app for FireTV is great. I share my library with my parents with 0 effort past initial setup. They are 2400 miles away.

Set bitrate for FireTV plex in that plex app and don't worry about it again.

It is that simple.

Naffer
Oct 26, 2004

Not a good chemist
Does anyone else run RaspBMC on their RPi and have trouble with it getting stuck at the "Relax, XBMC will restart shortly screen" when you tell it to reboot? It reboots fine if I ssh in and run sudo shutdown -r now.

Naffer fucked around with this message at 20:42 on Jul 31, 2014

CubanMissile
Apr 22, 2003

Of Hulks and Spider-Men
Any good Windows programs that will just download album art and not try to mess with my tags?

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Time for a new thread???

http://xbmc.org/introducing-kodi-14/

Parker Lewis
Jan 4, 2006

Can't Lose

Dumb name. I'm switching to Plex!

G-Prime
Apr 30, 2003

Baby, when it's love,
if it's not rough it isn't fun.
On the one hand, I'll be sad to see it change, just because it's something familiar that I've been using since the original Xbox days. However, there have been name changes before, and it's not like it's the end of the world by any means. Good on them for trying to get more legit.

ErikTheRed
Mar 12, 2007

My name is Deckard Cain and I've come on out to greet ya, so sit your ass and listen or I'm gonna have to beat ya.
Wow, that logo looks terrible

EDIT: missed that it is only temporary and they are working on a better one.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Not going to lie, I'm considering that shirt. I've been using XBMC since college and it was on an actual Xbox. But I don't like shirts like this normally.

r0ck0
Sep 12, 2004
r0ck0s p0zt m0d3rn lyf
I don't care, I hate explaining XBMC to people. "Ya so its called XBMC after xbox media center but it doesnt have anything to do with that xbox." Any name is better than xbmc.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe
I'm glad it's something I can say out loud without stupidly mixing up the letters.

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!
I dunno. It kinda look likes something you'd see on Facebook. "Kodi graduated 2nd grade today! awwwwwwwwww :*-( "

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry
I don't like Kodi that much and I don't like the temp logo, but I do agree that they need a change. XBMC as a name is kind of loaded with baggage.

r0ck0
Sep 12, 2004
r0ck0s p0zt m0d3rn lyf
reminds me of https://www.kidcudi.com

Keito
Jul 21, 2005

WHAT DO I CHOOSE ?
Software naming ultimately doesn't matter that much, but I'd be hard pressed to come up with anything worse than this.

YouTuber
Jul 31, 2004

by FactsAreUseless
I don't mind the transition away from the XBMC name it's totally a logical thing they're doing; however I think they should have thrown a few suggestions out to the community in the form of a poll before settling on Kodi. That name reeks of some focus group polling bullshit. Though I guess I really should be used to idiotic names for open source projects. Ubuntu should have broken me long ago with it Ululating Unicorns and Tromboning Tahrs or whatever they loving call their releases.

Daviclond
May 20, 2006

Bad post sighted! Firing.
I'm thinking of getting an HTPC based on a J1900 motherboard (quad core budget Celeron at 2GHz/2.4GHz boost) to run XBMC on, but bug reports from early adopters indicate the Windows drivers for the chipset don't support HDCP which means it is unable to bitstream DD TrueHD or DTS-HD audio (for which Windows forces HDCP) to a receiver. This is potentially a dealbreaker for me because I want an HTPC with no/minimal compatibility headaches. Linux builds like OpenElec work fine as they don't require HDCP, but I need Windows for network drive sharing.

Any idea how XBMC will behave in a situation where HD audio can't be bitstreamed? From the System settings menu I see it's possible to set "Number of Channels" to 5.1 (so it knows how many PCM channels to output) and disable audio passthrough, will XBMC then cope with decoding the HD audio streams and outputting 5.1 PCM over the HDMI connection? Any idea how a budget Celeron CPU will cope with the software decoding of an audio stream?

I really want to pull the trigger on purchasing the build but this problem makes it a bit of a risk; my current setup (smart TV) works OK-ish except for being unable to output HD surround audio stream to my receiver so I'd really like to fix the issue to justify the upgrade.

YouTuber
Jul 31, 2004

by FactsAreUseless
oh wow, I just realized that since most addons are python that every single one is going to suffer from breakage with this XBMC-Kodi switch unless XBMC remains the internal name. Any time you use the import function that imports poo poo like xbmcgui. This isn't a problem for active projects but the ones with devs that show up once every few years are gonna be hosed.

Keito
Jul 21, 2005

WHAT DO I CHOOSE ?

Daviclond posted:

I need Windows for network drive sharing.

Why?

fletcher
Jun 27, 2003

ken park is my favorite movie

Cybernetic Crumb

IUG posted:

Not going to lie, I'm considering that shirt. I've been using XBMC since college and it was on an actual Xbox. But I don't like shirts like this normally.

Yeah I've been a fan of XBMC for a long time, I had to get the shirt

Daviclond
May 20, 2006

Bad post sighted! Firing.

I've made a post about my planned setup here in the NAS thread, basically I want to combine a NAS plus HTPC in a single build in order to get more powerful/capable hardware for less money than if I went for two separate off-the-shelf products (e.g. a Synology plus an Android TV box or NUC).

A NAS specific OS won't be able to run XBMC (I think - I'm all ears) and an HTPC specific OS like OpenElec won't be able to act as a NAS (or so I'm assuming, since it's such a lightweight chopped-down OS) which leaves me running a "generic" OS like Windows or Ubuntu and then installing XBMC and setting up network shares to fulfill both duties. When it comes to Windows vs. Linux I chose Windows because every other non-mobile device in the household is Windows based and I have zero Linux experience. By using Win7 I'm hoping to avoid peripheral compatibility issues and obscure bugs that seem to plague other solutions.

Of course this lack of HD audio passthrough is a Windows problem. However if the workaround I theorised above is doable then I'd sooner do that than use an unfamiliar OS... unless someone has a better idea - I'm very much open to input.

LookieLoo
Feb 10, 2011

You can use Samba to network with windows machines, so you could use linux if you wanted.

Edit: I've done both a windows and linux setup similar to what you want Daviclond, whichever one you choose will have you dealing with frustrating BS.

LookieLoo fucked around with this message at 16:54 on Aug 2, 2014

Tuxedo Jack
Sep 11, 2001

Hey Ma, who's that band I like? Oh yeah, Hall & Oates.
I cannot get over how dumb "kodi" is. I don't know if I'll ever break the habit of calling it XBMC, though it doesn't matter, because the family just calls it "the TV isn't working."

But that's a dumb, dumb, very bad name.

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend
Not a big fan of the name, but it won't matter in like a year when we're all used to saying it, just like Wii and WiiU.

Can't believe I'm buying a tshirt, but this is where I am in life.

Edit: someone make a new, updated thread so I don't have to. I was terrible at keeping this one up to date.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

oh my god is that a circular saw that does not go in my mouth aaaaagh

YouTuber posted:

oh wow, I just realized that since most addons are python that every single one is going to suffer from breakage with this XBMC-Kodi switch unless XBMC remains the internal name. Any time you use the import function that imports poo poo like xbmcgui. This isn't a problem for active projects but the ones with devs that show up once every few years are gonna be hosed.

You (by which I mean, the XBMC developers) can just alias xbmcgui to kodigui. It would take probably 30 seconds.