Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

reading
Jul 27, 2013
I laughed at the Mantis bug tracker that shows 4+ year old bugs being fixed. Literally stuff reported in 2010 is now being addressed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

reading posted:

I laughed at the Mantis bug tracker that shows 4+ year old bugs being fixed. Literally stuff reported in 2010 is now being addressed.

One might think that the bugs have changed from back then during all the versions.
But nope, DF is a very, very solid program.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Hero of the soviet union.
Accidental destroyer of planets
This next release could have more changes than the previous one - so many bugs fixed from so long ago, the game could be almost unrecognizable!

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging
To be perfectly honest, I find the the bizarre way Toady prioritizes (and organizes, and implements) things strangely charming. It's like he's in a fey mood, sitting in his workshop, screaming "I MUST HAVE SOCIOPOLITICAL POWER DYNAMICS! I MUST HAVE OROGRAPHIC PRECIPITATION! I MUST HAVE PROCEDURALLY GENERATED CREATION MYTHS!" :allears:

Iunnrais
Jul 25, 2007

It's gaelic.

Tiler Kiwi posted:

i just want toady to stop adding poo poo for a bit and fix the outstanding bugs but he will never do such a thing

Wrong. He does this in cycles, every single time. Spend 1-3 years on adding new features, then spend several months on fixing bugs, repeat. Every time he goes into feature mode, people start thinking he will never ever care about bugs, and every time they acted shocked and amazed when he goes into bugfixing mode for a few months. I don't get it. This is not new or novel. He does this! Every time!

Ironically, people also tend to get annoyed while he's in bugfixing mode, because it breaks all the 3rd party tools over and over again every week. It also prevents the 3rd party tool people from moving forward much, because things aren't stable. I remember after about three months into the previous bugfixing cycle people were getting antsy for something "stable" again that they could tinker with without worrying about another release in a week.

suburban virgin
Jul 26, 2007
Highly qualified lurker.
I think people are less aware of the cycle now that it takes so long between major releases.

NewMars
Mar 10, 2013
Only now? Not really. I mean, when he switched to 3d it took as long as this. Those 1-3 years? Those have always been the years these sorts of releases take.

NewMars fucked around with this message at 16:23 on Jul 25, 2014

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

Angry Diplomat posted:

There is the possibility that they might get peckish and eat one of your dwarves, but AFAIK vampires generally don't spread their curse just by being in proximity to others, so I doubt you'll wind up with a bunch of vampire dwarves. Plus, if you attack them, a) they'll flip out with their vampire strength and probably kill a bunch of people, and b) their civ will get pissed off and attack you.

Honestly, I'd say the most sensible course of action is to be a gracious host and treat this visiting vampire politely until they go away with a minimum of bloodshed.

Its kind of cool that a fortress has a visitor that they try and appease so they don't kill to many of them. Its almost as if you run the town full of scared peasants in every western film and the vampire is the big bad guy.

StrangeAeon
Jul 11, 2011

Still doodling around in Masterwork, and encountering a rather odd occurrence with my Hospital. Dwarves that are on tables or traction get fed and watered by idle dwarves, but dwarves in beds are not. It's leading to anyone with minor injuries dying of thirst, but anyone with serious wounds making a full recovery.

I've tried deconstructing the beds beneath the dying dwarves, but everyone seems content to leave them there, and not rescue them to a new bed.

Elth
Jul 28, 2011

StrangeAeon posted:

Still doodling around in Masterwork, and encountering a rather odd occurrence with my Hospital. Dwarves that are on tables or traction get fed and watered by idle dwarves, but dwarves in beds are not. It's leading to anyone with minor injuries dying of thirst, but anyone with serious wounds making a full recovery.

I've tried deconstructing the beds beneath the dying dwarves, but everyone seems content to leave them there, and not rescue them to a new bed.

Serious injuries eh? I guess you need to line up your hospital beds in front of a minecart track.

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

Subjunctive posted:

Really? Quel dick.

I can build dfhack, I'll upload something for you tonight.

just quoting this because I'm jonesing for my dfhack fix and your post filled me with hope :ohdear:

TheAwfulWaffle
Jun 30, 2013

Indecisive posted:

I hope he fixes the bugs with constructing walls and dwarves standing on their own construction and then cancelling construction because they are standing on it, annoying as gently caress. I've made sure there's standable floor adjacent, tried suspending unsuspending, removing the construction and remaking using different stone, sometimes it just keeps happening over and over until finally it works for no discernable reason.

I lost more than 30 dorfs to a werellama because Urist McMason didn't know any better than to stand where the wall should be.

deathrat
May 25, 2010

Gus Hobbleton posted:

Jesus Christ I hate nerds. Some guy in the DFhack thread got it to work with the latest version. He's not going to upload it though because if you don't know how to make DFhack yourself then you don't deserve to use it.

I can build DFHack too, but I can't seem to find this post, anyone have a link?

Nevermind, I'm retarded, I'll give it a try I guess.

deathrat fucked around with this message at 22:25 on Jul 25, 2014

Zomborgon
Feb 19, 2014

I don't even want to see what happens if you gain CHIM outside of a pre-coded system.

Hah, PC Gamer has a guide to DF in only four pages.

The fools.

Naturally, :iit: made it in.

GreenMarine
Apr 25, 2009

Switchblade Switcharoo

dogstile posted:

Its kind of cool that a fortress has a visitor that they try and appease so they don't kill to many of them. Its almost as if you run the town full of scared peasants in every western film and the vampire is the big bad guy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FAcrmxMYMLI

I couldn't find the clip of the gun being thrown at Dracula's face. But this will do.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Excelzior posted:

just quoting this because I'm jonesing for my dfhack fix and your post filled me with hope :ohdear:

Yeah, I fell asleep on the couch. Let me see what I can get done in teamviewer before my next thing.

Edit: The remote client stuff is puking, I think it wants some protobuf tool that's not around. I'll dig more later tonight.

Edit edit: of course it needs an older compiler. this'll take a bit, sorry.

Subjunctive fucked around with this message at 00:48 on Jul 26, 2014

deathrat
May 25, 2010
:frogsiren: Got DFHack to compile for new version(0.40.04) :frogsiren:

Download here. Don't blame me if it breaks horribly though(as it most likely will since not all of the mappings are done yet), I didn't really test it past getting it to start without crashing. Also, I didn't compile Stonesense or Isoworld, I'll see if those'll work in a bit. Stonesense and Isoworld don't work yet.

deathrat fucked around with this message at 02:52 on Jul 26, 2014

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

deathrat posted:

Download here. Don't blame me if it breaks horribly though(as it most likely will since not all of the mappings are done yet), I didn't really test it past getting it to start without crashing. Also, I didn't compile Stonesense or Isoworld, I'll see if those'll work in a bit.

:worship:

FatCow
Apr 22, 2002
I MAP THE FUCK OUT OF PEOPLE
If workflow and stable-cursor work you're my new hero.

Gus Hobbleton
Dec 30, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

deathrat posted:

Download here. Don't blame me if it breaks horribly though(as it most likely will since not all of the mappings are done yet), I didn't really test it past getting it to start without crashing. Also, I didn't compile Stonesense or Isoworld, I'll see if those'll work in a bit. Stonesense and Isoworld don't work yet.

hell yeah

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Is there some way to turn the lighting system in masterwork off? It kind of just makes the game a pain in the rear end to look at.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Wait -- I haven't even voted in this game yet!

The Moon Monster posted:

Is there some way to turn the lighting system in masterwork off? It kind of just makes the game a pain in the rear end to look at.

Type "rendermax disable" in the DFHack window. EDIT: Or just turn rendermax off in the launcher.

deathrat
May 25, 2010
Just compiled TWBT for 0.40.04, no idea if it works if someone wants to test it. Here's the download

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Yo where's the mac version, this is bullshit, I hate you.

deathrat
May 25, 2010

Bad Munki posted:

I guess I won't try and compile one then. :colbert:

Zomborgon
Feb 19, 2014

I don't even want to see what happens if you gain CHIM outside of a pre-coded system.

deathrat posted:

I guess I won't try and compile one then. :colbert:

*puppy eyes*

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Bad Munki posted:

nobody likes mac

it is terrible

:iit:

deathrat
May 25, 2010

Zomborgon posted:

*puppy eyes*

You're lucky I have access to a mac. :suicide:

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

I couldn't get stonesense to build, yeah. Guess I could have packaged the minimal version, duh. Thanks!

Edit: are the Mac offsets available? I have a build setup but it doesn't have the right addresses, so it's useless.

deathrat
May 25, 2010

Subjunctive posted:

I couldn't get stonesense to build, yeah. Guess I could have packaged the minimal version, duh. Thanks!

Edit: are the Mac offsets available? I have a build setup but it doesn't have the right addresses, so it's useless.

Yeah they are, if I can't get it to compile on mac myself I'll make a post on the process I used to get it to compile for Windows(should translate to mac still, just different environment setup).

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

deathrat posted:

Yeah they are, if I can't get it to compile on mac myself I'll make a post on the process I used to get it to compile for Windows(should translate to mac still, just different environment setup).

Yeah, I have a non-working build from a few days ago. I can spin it up later if you want, I didn't realize that the offsets were ready.

deathrat
May 25, 2010

Subjunctive posted:

Yeah, I have a non-working build from a few days ago. I can spin it up later if you want, I didn't realize that the offsets were ready.

Alright yeah, it's taking forever to get it setup on my end so here's what I needed to do on PC:

Follow this(make sure to do the Snow Leopard changes if applicable), except for step 6 do:

code:
git clone [url]https://github.com/quietust/dfhack.git[/url] --branch develop
cd dfhack
git submodule init
git submodule update
then replace the contents of the "dfhack/library/xml/" folder with this zip(I deleted everything before extracting, not sure if you can just overwrite).

And before you do step 8 open up "dfhack/plugins/CMakeList.txt" with a text editor and comment out line 141 so it looks like this:
code:
#    DFHACK_PLUGIN(rename rename.cpp LINK_LIBRARIES lua PROTOBUFS rename)
Then you should be able to try and compile it.

deathrat fucked around with this message at 05:12 on Jul 26, 2014

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

i suspect that means i'm MENTALLY ILL

GOT MILES AND MILES OF THE DEVLOG STYLES // MILES AND MILES OF THE DEVLOG STYLES

Toady One posted:

The bug processing continued today. Using an observation from ag, I think I've put an end to those construction suspensions that came from the builder standing on the construction spot -- any that were ongoing in old saves will still be there, but it shouldn't make new ones. Saplings (and other trees) were growing way too fast, and that is fixed now. Dwarves shouldn't raid caravans for hospital supplies anymore. The bug where placing your crutch in your bag caused you to have a phantom crutch should be fixed (and there were circumstances that caused that to happen in fort mode as well, and it happened with casts, splints and bandages as well). Sparring events shouldn't be reported as combat events now, although that's a more difficult problem now that combat moves are smeared out over time, so we'll keep an eye on it. Sadly, ghosts will no longer be able to realize dreams after they are dead. Theoretically, it would be fine if certain kinds of ghosts did it, but the overall code was problematic, so we'll have to revisit that later. Tools made from adamantine wafers use the proper number now (Quietust). I used proper yield etc. values for obsidian (UristDaVinci). Fixed up some density mistakes... proper agreement viewing button... lots of typos...

reading
Jul 27, 2013
:it is wonderful:

:it is overdue:

moller
Jan 10, 2007

Swan stole my music and framed me!
Sadly, ghosts will no longer be able to realize dreams after they are dead.

tom bob-ombadil
Jan 1, 2012

deathrat posted:

"This is a masterwork post. It menaces with spikes of bugfixes."

Is it wrong I'm going to use this to murder those loving Kea that are just hanging around my map, preventing more interesting creatures from showing up?

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
Stonesense is now an overlay thing right? Can you designate mining and stuff with it?

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

Is there a good guide on how to build an adventure mode character? Just what kind of stats you need.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

cheesetriangles posted:

Is there a good guide on how to build an adventure mode character? Just what kind of stats you need.

For your typical demigod, this is what I like to run:

High Strength
High Agility
High Toughness
High Endurance
High Recuperation
High Disease Resistence
Very Low Musicality (this is worthless)
High Kinesthetic Sense (affects many skills involving movement)

Average everything else. For reasonings why, check out this page for what attributes do.

For your skills, you'll probably want Novice Reading and Adequate Swimming. Reading allows you to become a necromancer if you decide you want to. You don't need higher than Novice skill for this. Adequate swimming allows you to swim at all without drowning the second you get in the water.

After that, toss your points wherever you like. Generally I focus a lot of points into my main weapon skill, and a moderate amount of points into my shield and a bit more than that in my generic armor skill. I think it's harder to train armor skills than it is to train the shield skill.

Fighter trains pretty quickly, but it wouldn't hurt to start out with a chunk of points in there too. Probably about the same as your shield skill.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

i suspect that means i'm MENTALLY ILL

Shields aren't that essential, I don't think. Weapon skills also govern how good you are at parrying poo poo.

Low Observer means you are easily caught off-guard and toppled by a sudden charge attack. Armor Wearer doesn't give you extra protection, but it makes you less encumbered by worn poo poo - speed is life. Wrestling also gets some extra mileage out of the now incredibly lethal strangulation.