Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Charlotte Hornets
Dec 30, 2011

by Fritz the Horse

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Charlotte Hornets
Dec 30, 2011

by Fritz the Horse
Dear Leo,

As promised, I am writing to let you know that I have arrived in Stoke. Gerard Pique was right. It is a real place. But the tales of endless nights filled with sheets of rain and frigid wind like a witch's breath that instantly turns foreigners to stone is not true. I have seen the sun here and it is quite warm, but I realize the season has not yet begun. Perhaps that is when the horrific conditions described on the internet curse the land. I must admit that I am still quite scared.

I have signed a contract and now I must stay for four years. They keep telling me that I am a Potter now. Does this mean that I must do drugs or learn to make decorative vases? I do not know. Again, I am scared. But I will do what I must to survive.

Once I signed the papers, they put me on another plane to join the team in Germany. All of my new teammates seem very nice. Marc Muniesa is here and he seems to be doing well (if he was blinking secret messages to me, I could not decipher them). The manager, Mark Hughes, told me he is great friends with Pep Guardiola and asked me if Pep ever spoke of him. I told him no, but Mr. Hughes said that Pep was probably just embarrassed that he taught him everything he knows and wanted to keep it a secret. This made me very excited to play for such a great man! And disappointed that Pep would keep secrets like this.

There is also an actual giant in the team. He is the size of at least 17 Xavis! The other players call him "The Crouchie." He appears to be made of enchanted broomsticks. He travels around town with a beautiful princess. I haven't spoken to her yet, but I will ask her if she is the one who brought him to life with a magic spell. He smiles a lot, so I don't think he will eat me — even though I am probably the same size as his food.

I also met another teammate called Charlie Adam. He came up to me and looked at my ankles and said, "I bet these snap easy" and then walked away. I couldn't tell if he was joking on me or not. I remain hopeful that he was.

That is all I can say right now, Leo. I am very tired and I must go to sleep before Mr. Hughes tells me again that he only played one season for Barca because Gary Lineker feared he would make him look bad.

Yours in bravery,

Bojan

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
wrong thread

trem_two
Oct 22, 2002

it is better if you keep saying I'm fat, as I will continue to score goals
Fun Shoe

Charlotte Hornets posted:

Yours in bravery,

Bojan

That's lovely Suqit

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

After all, I was nice in ball,
Came to practice weed scented
Report card like the speed limit

:homebrew::homebrew::homebrew:

King Pawn posted:

Soccer (not really my sport, but could be if they implemented these fixes!)

Problem: 0-0 draws are lovely. They really are. Low-scoring is OK, no-scoring is lovely.

Solution: Increase the size of the goals by ~10% in both dimensions. I don't give a poo poo about logistics, I'm Emperor-King. Figure it out.

Problem: Cheating is loving pathetic and can too easily decide games.

Solution: Diving, grossly exaggerating contact or feigning injury will be subject to strict penalties including automatic red cards, and even suspensions for egregious or repeated offenses. These penalties can be applied on the spot or retroactively based on video evidence. Cut that poo poo out, it's awful.

There are other problems but these are the ones that spring to mind and can be pretty easily fixed.

advanced statsman
Dec 26, 2012

ISLAM FC
I thought that was a comedy thread. Are people saying those things seriously? wtf

Lamont Cranston
Sep 1, 2006

how do i shot foam

advanced statsman posted:

I thought that was a comedy thread. Are people saying those things seriously? wtf

I was 100% serious. If team A leaves a guy down at the net literally all game long then that means they only have 10 defenders which opens up space for the other team.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

I seriously think Spain should be banned from tennis.

Byolante
Mar 23, 2008

by Cyrano4747

My post was entirely serious and definately not threadshitting

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
some girl got abducted here a few months ago and they released the sketch today he looks like Wayne Rooney

Charlotte Hornets
Dec 30, 2011

by Fritz the Horse
Bojan – a day in the life at Stoke training…….

9.35am: Light warm-up and into a quick knockabout. Bojan plays a quick ball into the feet of Palacios before moving into space for the return pass. Wilson notices the run but applies a bit of “outside the box thinking” and deploys a poo poo first touch instead, making his second an attempted tackle. Wilko wins the 50/50 with a chin high, studs up challenge and leaves Palacios in a crumpled heap; Wilko eagerly turns to Huth “I got him Dad, I really really got him!”….. Bojan shakes his head silently, a quick shrug of the shoulders and a pained looked of disappointment etches across his face…

10.15am: During a drinks break Bojan gets chatting to Shotton. “So, are you a ball playing midfielder, a goal-scoring match winner or a majestic defender that oozes class?” Shotton, looking completely bemused by the question, quietly turns, picks up a ball, and like an absolute loving boss, hurtles it 50 yards through the air. Bojan’s head drops silently with a look of devastation, like a man that’s just found out his daughter is dating an Arsenal fan…

10.40am – Hughes pulls Bojan to one side for a quick word, “Are you ok son?” You look a bit unsettled” …… “I’ve just seen Huth kill a goal post boss, Jon’s been doing a bleep test for 3 friggin’ hours and Brek’s just turned up late with a pair of loving rifles in his hand, I haven’t a clue what’s going on….”

11.30am – Bojan hits the changing room after a traumatic first day in camp. Seemingly down in the dumps, he finds solace in the fact it can’t get any worse and the only way is up….

11.31am – Bojan finds a set of pigs bollocks in his locker….

blue footed boobie
Sep 14, 2012

UEFA SUPREMACY

Charlotte Hornets posted:

Bojan – a day in the life at Stoke training…….

9.35am: Light warm-up and into a quick knockabout. Bojan plays a quick ball into the feet of Palacios before moving into space for the return pass. Wilson notices the run but applies a bit of “outside the box thinking” and deploys a poo poo first touch instead, making his second an attempted tackle. Wilko wins the 50/50 with a chin high, studs up challenge and leaves Palacios in a crumpled heap; Wilko eagerly turns to Huth “I got him Dad, I really really got him!”….. Bojan shakes his head silently, a quick shrug of the shoulders and a pained looked of disappointment etches across his face…

10.15am: During a drinks break Bojan gets chatting to Shotton. “So, are you a ball playing midfielder, a goal-scoring match winner or a majestic defender that oozes class?” Shotton, looking completely bemused by the question, quietly turns, picks up a ball, and like an absolute loving boss, hurtles it 50 yards through the air. Bojan’s head drops silently with a look of devastation, like a man that’s just found out his daughter is dating an Arsenal fan…

10.40am – Hughes pulls Bojan to one side for a quick word, “Are you ok son?” You look a bit unsettled” …… “I’ve just seen Huth kill a goal post boss, Jon’s been doing a bleep test for 3 friggin’ hours and Brek’s just turned up late with a pair of loving rifles in his hand, I haven’t a clue what’s going on….”

11.30am – Bojan hits the changing room after a traumatic first day in camp. Seemingly down in the dumps, he finds solace in the fact it can’t get any worse and the only way is up….

11.31am – Bojan finds a set of pigs bollocks in his locker….

wrong thread

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

what is the source on those

Messyass
Dec 23, 2003

The only problem here is that it implies Bojan is some kind of fancy footballer, instead of the perennial disappointment that he is.

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

Still, wrong thread.

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

I'm tired of hearing about money, money, money, money, money.
I just want to play the game, drink Pepsi, wear Reebok.

Grimey Drawer

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

Welcome back, welcome back, welcome baaaack
https://twitter.com/SteMc74/status/493765107336613888

franks
Jan 1, 2007

Alcoholism is the only
disease you can get
yelled at for having.
These DZKP/90... they're off the charts!

Oh god the first reply

quote:

I've Reus with about 1.03 xG + xA per 90, even slightly better than his actual NPG + A. Great, great season.

Hegay
Jun 29, 2012

franks posted:

These DZKP/90... they're off the charts!

Oh god the first reply

what the gently caress is he saying

e: His twitter is the motherlode...
https://twitter.com/MC_of_A/with_replies
@mixedknuts La Liga has more super-poachers than EPL, looks like. Griezmann at 3.7 xG:xA is high but not Youssef el-Arabi or Javy Guerra.

omg... http://cartilagefreecaptain.sbnation.com/2014/4/25/5652640/player-finishing-skill-is-real

Slaapaav
Mar 3, 2006

by Azathoth
When will these people understand that football and baseball are not the same aka football is actually a teamgame to such a degree that a large amount of induvidual stats are almost completely meaningless because they are all affected by a million different factors out of the players control.

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

I'm tired of hearing about money, money, money, money, money.
I just want to play the game, drink Pepsi, wear Reebok.

Grimey Drawer

http://thestatattackblog.wordpress.com/

Slaapaav
Mar 3, 2006

by Azathoth
but seriously why do they need to use stats to figure out that "The most important shot location on the pitch is prime central in the box."

Slaapaav
Mar 3, 2006

by Azathoth
ok i take it all back this is actually very facinating and interesting to me http://www.statsbomb.com/2014/06/gifolution-five-years-of-steven-gerrard/

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

Welcome back, welcome back, welcome baaaack

Slaapaav posted:

but seriously why do they need to use stats to figure out that "The most important shot location on the pitch is prime central in the box."

They have GRIDS

Lenin Riefenstahl
Sep 18, 2003

That's enough! Out of here, you tubs of beer!
Turns out there is a 'selection effect' in football whereby managers will play players who are better than other players at scoring goals as strikers?! Holy moly let me check and make sure I've got my numbers right on this one!

Edit: the guy's actual job is a religious studies teacher...

Lenin Riefenstahl fucked around with this message at 10:36 on Jul 29, 2014

Still B.A.E
Mar 24, 2012

African AIDS cum posted:

They have GRIDS

Gay retard idiot down syndrome

Modus Trollens
Sep 12, 2010

Lenin Riefenstahl posted:

Turns out there is a 'selection effect' in football whereby managers will play players who are better than other players at scoring goals as strikers?! Holy moly let me check and make sure I've got my numbers right on this one!

Edit: the guy's actual job is a religious studies teacher...

the first time Low played Gotze as a striker it crashed my excel ugh

MyChemicalImbalance
Sep 15, 2007

Keep on smilin'

:unsmith:
Goetze's good but he's no Youssef el-Arabi or Javy Guerra.

Destroy My Sweater
Jul 24, 2009

#stats

Earthy Ape Unit
Jun 17, 2014

by XyloJW

quote:

I'm a bit boreedand it's a bit early for a proper prediction thread maybe so here's a really long post on how I think things will turn out for the top clubs based on what's happened so far this summer. Just skip to the bottom if you don't want to read my spergy post.

Manchester United will easily finish in the top four. They have a massive squad with a lot of quality players and no european football. Can see them going out early in the cups as well and focus on one match every week to go all in on the league. Van Persie will have a 25+ goals season again now that there's a manager there who knows how to play attacking football and will do everything he can to help him stay fit. There's questions marks over losing important players as Vidic, Evra and Ferdinand so quickly so things could be tough for them at the start of the season before everything comes in place. The midfield and attack is so good that they'll get by and we're going to see some crazy scorelines.

Liverpool lost Suarez, but unlike Tottenham last season they seem to have a decent plan for replacing him, with a competent manager and staff in charge. taking care of business. Suarez is a player that's impossible to replace like for like, but Rodgers is doing things right in getting more attacking options in players like Markovic and Lallana. I'm certain they'll get a striker as well, so they're still going to be really dangerous next season. They're going to miss Suarez' in terms of effective finishing and "x-factor" - but with 15+ matches to play over the season they're going to be much better than prepared than having the same squad as last season. Coutinho will have a massive season now that he can dictate more of the play rather than always look for Suarez first. As of now I think they're a bit more likely to finish outside of the top four, but I might have to revise my prediction if they sign a couple more quality players.

Chelsea are starting to look like title favorites to me. Filipe Luis is a really good signing, and will allow Mourinho to play Azpilicueta at right back. I guess another defender will come in to replace David Luiz as well so the defense will be much improved this season and more accustomed to the more cynical nature of Mourinhos tactics. Fabregas is a great signing, but its surprising to see him in a Mourinho team where he won't get as much freedom as he had at his best at Arsenal. Strangely enough the player I'm most unsure about is Diego Costa, the only thing I'm sure about is that he's going to be the most controversial player in the league now thats Suarez has gone, and it's going to be really funny. I doubt that Drogba has much to offer and its a bit strange to see him go back. I don't think he'll play much, but he might have a big part to play off the pitch. I hope so for his sake, because he's not the same player that he was two years ago. They're still title favorites for me, but by a rather small margin.

Manchester City have quietely gone on with their business and signed solid but fairly unspectacular players like Sagna and Fernando. They might be looking to bring in central defender, but they have a complete squad besides that. They will be challenging again and building on Pelligrinis work from last season. Jovetic is an amazing player and will play a big part if they can keep him fit. If they can keep Nastasic and Aguero fit for most parts of the season their squad will already be much stronger than last season. The question is if the ambitions in europe will have any consequences on the league campaign. It's laughable that they've invested so much and still been terrible in the champions league. I think that will change this season.

Tottenham have also been really quiet so far, I'm guessing Pochettino is assessing the squad and picking up the pieces from the mess last season. Davies and Vorm are good signings but won't make much of a difference in total. The priority might be to get some of the expensive players who hasn't worked out to perform, mainly Soldado, Lamela, Verthongen and Paulinho who IMO turned out really poor in the second half of last season. Pochettino will have a lot of pressure on him to get the squad performing right away, I doubt he will stay past this season if they finish any lower than 6th. He did amazing work really quickly at Southampton and I predict that Spurs will look at lot better this season but that it won't be enough to finish in the top four.

Arsenal and Wenger has been unusually busy so far. Sanchez is a fantastic signing who will change a lot of the way Arsenal line up in attack, and provides more pace to an attack who proved to be very static and slow at times last season. Debuchy is a fairly solid and hopefully like for like replacement to Sagna, who will be missed. Chambers is an exciting player who will get plenty of playing time, Wenger has mentioned his versatility and his ability to play right and centre back, in addition to holding midfielder. I think he'll mostly play in defence. David Ospina will give Szezzers a proper challenge in goal. Overall the squad is stronger than last season, only really missing a midfielder to take over from the aging Arteta and limited Flamini alongside Ramsey. As usual a lot will depend on keeping players fit and in form, hopefully the new fitness coach will have an effect on that and avoid the usual injury crisis after christmas. It's also a big big season for Wilshere and Oxlade-Chamberlain who has to finally step up and perform whats expected of them, and there shouldnt be any excuses for Özil either who needs to perform consistently over a whole season. I don't think its going to be enough to challenge for the title, unless Wenger cracks to code on how to not embarrass himself against the best teams.

Everton haven't done much so far, but are so far worse off than last season unless they can get Lukaku back and a replacement for Deulofeu. No new signings except Gareth Barry and Besic (who I don't know a thing about), and last season proved that they might be too big of a threat for the top teams to let them loan them players again. I think they will disappoint compared to last year, and that they so far look a lot weaker than Tottenham.

It's going to be close, really really close, but this is how I think it will end:

(tl;dr)

1. Chelsea
2. Manchester City
3. Manchester United
4. Arsenal
5. Liverpool
6. Tottenham
7. Everton

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

blue footed boobie
Sep 14, 2012

UEFA SUPREMACY
I hope you drown.

corn in the fridge
Jan 15, 2012

by Shine
Stfu pituae that was a good and well thought out post.

Cpt. Mahatma Gandhi
Mar 26, 2005

From our very own TRP no less

Suqit
Apr 25, 2005

Stars Stripes Freedom Jozy
(Jozy not pictured here)
I didn't realize this was the Bojan fan fiction page I'm a bit upset nobody told me.

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

shut the gently caress up pituae.

Earthy Ape Unit
Jun 17, 2014

by XyloJW
it wasn't a completely bad post but the bold parts certainly were

corn in the fridge
Jan 15, 2012

by Shine

straight up brolic posted:

shut the gently caress up pituae.

Earthy Ape Unit
Jun 17, 2014

by XyloJW
corn in the fridge is the black cop who applies brutal choke-holds on black people grilling on their steps or selling cigarettes to show off for his white cop "buddies"

Ice Cube warned us about posters like you

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

Earthy Ape Unit posted:

it wasn't a completely bad post but the bold parts certainly were

quote:

I just ask that this thread remain for bad posts we can all laugh at. IT IS NOT FOR ARGUING ABOUT THE CONTENT. If the content doesn't seem insane enough to be funny to everyone in here, it's not funny enough to post. If it's sort of borderline it's just going to cause annoying slapfights when someone starts the "Well this post isn't that insane if you look at it in the context ofaaaaaaaaaaaa" who cares gently caress you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

and then the car turned in to fire
Nobody reply to or discuss our dear Hereford FIFA Fan Zone devotee, thanks.