Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Miles O'Brian
May 22, 2006

All we have to lose is our chains
I served a cappuccino to Kirsten O'Brian and ate lunch on the table next to Inspector Morse' sidekick. Thats all I got.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Hero of hormagaunts everywhere!
Buglord

TKIY posted:

Played two quick games at 750pts last night just to get a handle on 7th and my Nids were stomped twice. I'm thinking about try the Manufactorum Genestealer formation because I am a glutton for punishment. Has anyone played with them yet?

Genestealers are okay if you run them with Broodlords and fire off The Horror successfully as often as you can. They are expensive, fragile, lack good options, and are generally a good recipe for losing. I've seen 'Stealer Shock lists do pretty well against armies with middling leadership, but anything Ld9+ isn't generally going to care about pinning checks (not to mention the glut of Fearless units). Hit and Run may be useful against some units, especially if you have some decent shooting to back them up, but otherwise it's just an excuse to have your Genestealer unit re-Overwatched.

What list did you run at 750pts?

Lungboy posted:

Objectives are placed before you pick table sides now.
True, but that still gives you control enough to place them where you can get to reliably on either side. I'm not saying that Drop Pod armies are terrible, but I'm also saying that if you play even a little conservatively/defensively they're likely never going to have the chance to score every objective on turn one.

xtothez
Jan 4, 2004

College Slice
Just look at these guys.

Not only are Malanthropes ~super-awesome~ but they also let you get Preferred Enemy without spending a trillion points on a lovely Swarmlord.

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich
I can't really remember anything anyone would care about.

Got to be the Brat in the Milwaukee Brewers sausages, I guess. I also met and took a picture with the Chief of Naval Operations... dressed as a Milwaukee Brewers brat.

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
I told Zooey Deschanel her character in 500 days of summer made my high school girlfriend leave me and she said sorry

CyberLord XP
Oct 18, 2005

Goldie...She says her name is Goldie

xtothez posted:

Just look at these guys.

Not only are Malanthropes ~super-awesome~ but they also let you get Preferred Enemy without spending a trillion points on a lovely Swarmlord.

Can't wait for IA:8v2. Too bad it will be a while.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~
I've been recognized in the real world by people from the Internet for my Valhallans and Dawn of Awesome cartoons. That's what I've got.

serious gaylord posted:

I've been killed in two of his books.
I actually want to hear the story behind this, and who you were.

DJ Dizzy
Feb 11, 2009

Real men don't use bolters.

I timed myself to see what standard I could get a termie in 1 hour of painting.

Hencoe
Sep 4, 2012

MY LIFE GOAL IS TO STICK A FLESHLIGHT INTO THE END OF A HOWITZER AND FUCK THE SHIT OUT OF IT

xtothez posted:

Just look at these guys.

Hell, even the SCCs are cool enough to want to take, the only possible complaint is no option for adrenal glands. So not that much really, that flail is hilarious.

Irate Tree
Mar 12, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Post 9-11 User posted:

This isn't related to Drop Pod lists, but shows how the objective cards and daemon summoning can make tactical choices in the game irrelevant. By the end of the game, Dave is just throwing away units of Daemons to be a nice guy since his Tau opponent has absolutely no way of winning:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PFJUbOtl758

I know this game is long done but i feel a SUPREME need to call bullshit on something;
When that daemon prince was forced to take the grounding test and failed, he should have left him where he was. It was in the opponents turn, after movement, when they remembered to do that and for him to just place the daemon prince right next to his crisis suits? That's not cool. That would have changed the Tau player's tactics that turn and would in no way have him that close! I feel like the better thing to do was just to leave the daemon prince where he was.

Also... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tHTQeIC0nUg&t=247s

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich
Got some daylight pics of the Swooping Hawk test model. What are your thoughts?

Master Twig
Oct 25, 2007

I want to branch out and I'm going to stick with it.
drat, Malanthropes are awesome. I should start running them.

Oh, they're $80 each.

TKIY
Nov 6, 2012
Grimey Drawer

Master Twig posted:

drat, Malanthropes are awesome. I should start running them.

Oh, they're $80 each.

I'm thinking you could make a convincing proxy from a Trygon. I have one partially built and two on the sprues. Might keep one to make into a Mawloc and convert the others to Malanthropes.

xtothez
Jan 4, 2004

College Slice

TKIY posted:

I'm thinking you could make a convincing proxy from a Trygon. I have one partially built and two on the sprues. Might keep one to make into a Mawloc and convert the others to Malanthropes.

This one comes from a plastic Flyrant and looks pretty good:

http://bloodofkittens.com/wargaminghub/2013/01/08/tyranid-malanthrope-on-a-budget-by-white-metal-games/

spacegoat
Dec 23, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Nap Ghost

Boon posted:

Got some daylight pics of the Swooping Hawk test model. What are your thoughts?

I was about to say how much I love all the retro stuff in this thread lately, then realised that's still the current Swooping Hawk model.

I dig it, though. Try adding some sharper highlights, especially to the gun, and it'll pop more.

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP

TKIY posted:

Malanthropes are pretty small really, certainly nothing like the size of a Trygon.

Fuegan
Aug 23, 2008

Yeah, they're the same height but the Malanthrope is no where near as bulky as a Trygon.

Proletariat Beowulf
Jan 7, 2007
I wish meat screamed as I ate it.
I once rented Barry Switzer a video; also, OU's most well-known QB went to my HS and I also sold lots of copies of NCAA Football to dudes on the OU football team when we were the national bad guys. I wondered what a weird feeling it must be to play as yourself in a game until I did a huge chunk of the voices (character and zombies) in No More Room in Hell and got eaten screaming while moaning at myself. :gonk:

Content: the wife is dead-set on painting checks on her harlequins, and that poo poo is tiny. The only real advice she's seen online is painting with a toothpick and magnifier; any tried-and-true ideas to recommend her?

Additionally, after reviewing how rad Buggies and Deffkoptas are now, I'm far less impressed by Grot Tanks. TL over BS3 4 LYF.

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP

Fuegan posted:

Yeah, they're the same height but the Malanthrope is no where near as bulky as a Trygon.

Same height? Really? Hmm, I might have to dig mine out then as I thought it was much smaller.

e: half an inch shorter apparently. Have an image:

Lungboy fucked around with this message at 17:14 on Jul 25, 2014

TKIY
Nov 6, 2012
Grimey Drawer

PierreTheMime posted:

What list did you run at 750pts?

Nothing overwhelming since it's just a 'getting used to' 7th edition game.

Tyrant
2 x TLBL Devs, Regen

Warrior Brood
2 x Deathspitters, 1 x Barbed Strangler

7 Genestealers

Carnifex
2 x STal, Adrenal Glands

Exocrine

I'm not worried that I lost, but there is an escalation league coming up that starts at 750pts so I need to work on a good list. No flyers allowed at 750pts either which is why my Tyrant was walking.

The Carnifex was hilariously inept. In the first game he was rolled by a pack of seven Scarab bases (he did kill 5 of them at least), in the second he was one-shotted by a BA Librarians Psychic Scream.

Hencoe
Sep 4, 2012

MY LIFE GOAL IS TO STICK A FLESHLIGHT INTO THE END OF A HOWITZER AND FUCK THE SHIT OUT OF IT
Malanthropes are smaller than i thought they were going yo be, got this one cheap on ebay a few days ago and snapped a comparison pic before I painted it.

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005
Does anyone know where the latest 40k rules for the Contemptor Dread are? I used to have them in IA: Apocalypse Second Edition from FW but that is now out of date.

Are they in the vanilla 40k Apoc book? Escalation? The Adeptus Astartes book from FW? This is getting too much .

EDIT: Solved. They're in IA: Apocalypse still. The 40k Apocalypse book is just formations. The number of 40k supplements in print is getting a bit OTT. :psyduck:

TTerrible fucked around with this message at 17:49 on Jul 25, 2014

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Does that mean I don't get the job?

Proletariat Beowulf posted:

Content: the wife is dead-set on painting checks on her harlequins, and that poo poo is tiny. The only real advice she's seen online is painting with a toothpick and magnifier; any tried-and-true ideas to recommend her?

Checks are a pain in the rear end no matter how you slice it. If she's doing two colors with the checks and not some multi-color insanity, paint the section in one of those colors first to save some time and headache. Preferably the lightest color, since layering over darker ones is more time-consuming and difficult.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
Don't paint with a toothpick. Its very difficult.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

serious gaylord posted:

Don't paint with a toothpick. Its very difficult.

Seriously. I've tried dotting eyes with toothpicks and paper clips before and it just doesn't work. Just get a fine enough brush, and if you really want, only break it out for tiny details like that.

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Alternately, get a fine-point Micron artists pen (0.005) and use that to draw the lines for your checks.

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

http://www.blacklibrary.com/faqs-and-errata.html New FAQs for IG and Orks.

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

I told you that story so I could tell you this one.

thiswayliesmadness posted:

Wargaming nerds talking about famous people they've met? That reminds me of a Weird Al song

I'm sorry. Couldn't resist

Yeah, well I got to ride a St. Pat's Day parade float with Weird Al.

Squifferific
Oct 17, 2004
Proud user of machines that go "Ping!"

Conscripts get frag grenades, and Brute Shields give a 5++ as well as rerolls to wound on Hammer of Wrath. Weeeeee.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Proletariat Beowulf posted:

Exacto thin strips of painters tape or a check mark stencil in cardboard?

ChrisAsmadi
Apr 19, 2007
:D

Vondizimo posted:

Does anyone know where the latest 40k rules for the Contemptor Dread are? I used to have them in IA: Apocalypse Second Edition from FW but that is now out of date.

Are they in the vanilla 40k Apoc book? Escalation? The Adeptus Astartes book from FW? This is getting too much .

EDIT: Solved. They're in IA: Apocalypse still. The 40k Apocalypse book is just formations. The number of 40k supplements in print is getting a bit OTT. :psyduck:

They're also in Imperial Armour Volume 2, 2nd Edition.

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

Slimnoid posted:

Alternately, get a fine-point Micron artists pen (0.005) and use that to draw the lines for your checks.

Heads up for anyone who can't find Micron: Sharpie also does a line of ultra-fine tip markers, and they're all right.

Drake_263
Mar 31, 2010

DJ Dizzy posted:

Thats a big loving hammer.

Lord Twisted
Apr 3, 2010

In the Emperor's name, let none survive.
This is actually fairly significant - has GW ever flat out added or altered wargear? This is similar to MMO balancing!

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

Lord Twisted posted:

This is actually fairly significant - has GW ever flat out added or altered wargear? This is similar to MMO balancing!
They add stuff all the time. Grav guns are a new thing for Space Marines with their most recent models and codex.

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP
I think he meant via FAQ.

Lord Twisted
Apr 3, 2010

In the Emperor's name, let none survive.

Lungboy posted:

I think he meant via FAQ.

Yes sorry I should have clarified.

Imagine possibilities. If terminators got an equivalent of FNP they would instantly be usable again.

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP
It would have to be very good FNP to make it worthwhile, Iron Hands termies already get 6+ FNP but they still don't get used much.

Squifferific
Oct 17, 2004
Proud user of machines that go "Ping!"

Lord Twisted posted:

Yes sorry I should have clarified.

Imagine possibilities. If terminators got an equivalent of FNP they would instantly be usable again.

They did this way back in the day too though. Terminators first got their invulnerable save via a Chapter Approved update, half way through 3rd Edition, and it made them more usable again. Changing game balance through updates isn't entirely new to them, it's just exceedingly rare and half hearted.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!

Squifferific posted:

They did this way back in the day too though. Terminators first got their invulnerable save via a Chapter Approved update, half way through 3rd Edition, and it made them more usable again. Changing game balance through updates isn't entirely new to them, it's just exceedingly rare and half hearted.

One could argue that the dataslates/supplements are a modern-day (and more money-gouging) version of this sort of thing. How successful they are is open to debate, but there've been cases where they've "buffed" things by letting you take units in a formation with special rules, giving Divination to CSM, etc.

• Locked thread