Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Are you getting the Wii U?
This poll is closed.
Yes 9031 65.25%
No 1191 8.60%
Maybe 808 5.84%
I'm an idiot 460 3.32%
Waluigi 1603 11.58%
Waa 748 5.40%
Total: 13841 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Nintendo will be really dumb if they don't extend it. I've spent roughly $1000 bucks on the eShop, and having the extra incentive of a few bucks here and there has really made me go digital full stop, plus I'm sure their rewards aren't more than the better margins they get avoiding the retail supply chain.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Flying Milton
Jan 18, 2005

greatn posted:

Nintendo will be really dumb if they don't extend it. I've spent roughly $1000 bucks on the eShop, and having the extra incentive of a few bucks here and there has really made me go digital full stop, plus I'm sure their rewards aren't more than the better margins they get avoiding the retail supply chain.

What the hell did you buy?

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
I can get a list later, but most 1st party games, most high profile indie games, a ton of virtual console games, various DLC for first party games, Lego City, Scribblenauts, Resident Evil revelation on sale, AssCreed 4 and SplinCell Black on sale, Death Zelda from Bankrupt company, a couple other games probably.

Edit: yeah every nintendo published retail game except Mario and Sonic at the winter Olympics, Singstar, Ninja Gaiden 3, Just Dance U, and Wonderful 101, every Nintendo eShop game except Dr Luigi and Pokémon Rumble

greatn fucked around with this message at 19:09 on Jul 25, 2014

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

greatn posted:

I can get a list later, but most 1st party games, most high profile indie games, a ton of virtual console games, various DLC for first party games, Lego City, Scribblenauts, Resident Evil revelation on sale, AssCreed 4 and SplinCell Black on sale, Death Zelda from Bankrupt company, a couple other games probably.

Edit: yeah every nintendo published retail game except Mario and Sonic at the winter Olympics, Singstar, Ninja Gaiden 3, Just Dance U, and Wonderful 101, every Nintendo eShop game except Dr Luigi and Pokémon Rumble

Are you the guy that judges the water?

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

http://www.twitch.tv/nintendo

Nintendo's live stream from Comic Con starts in about an hour+?? I think?? There's full motion graphics going on right now.

It doesn't look like a Treehouse joint but it looks like there will be gameplay streamed of games currently available and games coming out in the future, in the context of competition I guess?

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

Quest For Glory II posted:

Nintendo's live stream from Comic Con starts in about an hour+?? I think?? There's full motion graphics going on right now.

It doesn't look like a Treehouse joint but it looks like there will be gameplay streamed of games currently available and games coming out in the future, in the context of competition I guess?

No, in 15 minutes.

Suspicious Cook
Oct 9, 2012

Onward to burgers!
Everyone's waiting with baited breath for a character reveal that was never promised and probably won't even happen.

Or they'll just announce Jigglypuff and the crowd goes :geno:.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Suspicious Cook posted:

Or they'll just announce Jigglypuff and the crowd goes :geno:.

Watch them announce Jiggs via a Mewtwo troll. That would be legendary. :allears:

Suspicious Cook
Oct 9, 2012

Onward to burgers!

TaurusOxford posted:

Watch them announce Jiggs via a Mewtwo troll. That would be legendary. :allears:

Somewhere, in an alternate universe, there's a four way Smash going with Mewtwo, Ridley, Waluigi, and Goku.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
The Wii U menu music is very soothing.

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

I ended up getting both Shovel Knight and Guacamelee. Thanks for the advice, guys!

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Kurtofan posted:

The Wii U menu music is very soothing.

It's nice that they learned. I probably would have spent more on the Wii eShop if listening to this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8avMLHvLwRQ didn't make me want to quit life.

Edit: It's all falling apart

Lemming fucked around with this message at 19:32 on Jul 25, 2014

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
It's on https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Idw0P5x5b14

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

The special surprise is... combos! Oh boy!

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008
I bet he's saying some nice words :allears:

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

The special surprise is... combos! Oh boy!

What flavor

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Scroll, then. There are other posts than these.

Quest For Glory II posted:

http://www.twitch.tv/d1mx is the superior Nintendo twitch stream.

PopeOnARope
Jul 23, 2007

Hey! Quit touching my junk!

Monkey Fracas posted:

If you're kinda bored with NSMB you should still give the Luigi Bros U one a look if you like platformers- game busts out some tough poo poo almost immediately and is a lot of fun. You can buy it separately from the main game as well.

So, I started into NSLBU right after NSMBU and yeah, I would have to say it's pretty awesome. The challenge level is balanced nicely by the levels being so short; a lot of the time you don't even get a midpoint. It's really nice, being able to bang out half a world in 15 minutes and saving properly.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

Best Buy is selling the Nintendo Land/Luigi Wiimote Plus bundle for $40 right now:

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/nintend...ehMsfM60_.Cuq5Q

FYI this was listed as 40 on the website and on the shelf but rang up for 30 at the register. I checked the receipt and it wasn't a mistake by the cashier. Your mileage may vary but it was a nice surprise.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

I want that Kirby knit cap! The player that they're watching beat up the punching bag anyway.

Nonsense fucked around with this message at 23:34 on Jul 25, 2014

Mennonites Revenge
Feb 13, 2012

Lack of electricity... is my destiny...
EDIT: Never mind.

Mennonites Revenge fucked around with this message at 00:56 on Jul 26, 2014

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,
we won't need eyes to see.

Which CoD is the one that's recommended on Wii U? I just got Black Ops II for $9, so I suppose I'm not out that much if this was the wrong one.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

zenintrude posted:

Which CoD is the one that's recommended on Wii U? I just got Black Ops II for $9, so I suppose I'm not out that much if this was the wrong one.

I think that's the right one, Ghosts is the one that was fairly butt.

ChaiCalico
May 23, 2008

I've got the hori screen protector coming monday, which of the outer gamepad cases are recomended? Also the engergizer charging station seems like a good buy from amazon for $12, will that burn my house down? Seems like it would save me on eneloops for wii-motes and act as a decent stand/charger for the gamepad.

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

The energizer charge stand is really nice, and hasn't burned my apartment down (yet) but you won't want to buy both that and a case for your gamepad, since it probably won't fit in the stand afterwards.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

zenintrude posted:

Ghosts port on Wii U was a tiny bit better, in my opinion, but they're both pretty much the same game. Get the one that has the bigger player base if you plan on playing online which I'm guessing is Ghosts.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

madpanda posted:

I've got the hori screen protector coming monday, which of the outer gamepad cases are recomended? Also the engergizer charging station seems like a good buy from amazon for $12, will that burn my house down? Seems like it would save me on eneloops for wii-motes and act as a decent stand/charger for the gamepad.

I just bought the "starter pack" from Gamestop, comes with a thin rubber case, a screen protector, and two replacement styluses. I only wanted a screen protector, but the pack was cheaper than just a screen protector for some reason. The case is just fine. I wasn't really planning on using it, but it adds just enough height to the button/D-pad areas to make them more comfortable. Plus I'm no longer tempted to wipe the drat Gamepad free of fingerprints every time I pick it up.

If you want one to protect from hard drops (dunno why or how this would happen) this isn't a good case, though. It's just a thin silicone sleeve that feels good in the hand. There's one made by NERF which is probably made to withstand being thrown into a wall when you inevitably get hosed in Mario Kart 8.

enojy fucked around with this message at 05:32 on Jul 26, 2014

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.
So I got a Wii U with Super Mario/Luigi U, and... is it supposed to use the game pad just to mirror the TV screen and also pump out all the audio my TV's doing anyway? Because that's super distracting, can I make it stop that poo poo

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

CapnAndy posted:

So I got a Wii U with Super Mario/Luigi U, and... is it supposed to use the game pad just to mirror the TV screen and also pump out all the audio my TV's doing anyway? Because that's super distracting, can I make it stop that poo poo

Well, there;s a volume slider, so you can turn that off.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

CapnAndy posted:

You can turn the pad volume off. The screen you can't turn off unless you're using a different controller. You can try turning the brightness down though.

Kly
Aug 8, 2003

The pad is used in dumb ways some times. I just got a wiiu and im suprised that we couldnt play two player using the gamepad and wiimote with new mario and that the pad still splits the screen in multiplayer mode for some reason.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
I am really surprised they didn't put a button on the gamepad that would switch mirroring on/off and turn the screen off.

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!

Kly posted:

The pad is used in dumb ways some times. I just got a wiiu and im suprised that we couldnt play two player using the gamepad and wiimote with new mario and that the pad still splits the screen in multiplayer mode for some reason.

It sucks that you cant control a Bro on the pad in Multiplayer, but it does at least use the touchscreen in a real fun way.

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

Kly posted:

Yeah that blew my mind too. However, NSMBU is the only title I've seen that has that issue.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Yeah, it's the only one like that, and I'm really surprised they didn't patch that when they added pro controller support.

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.

turtlecrunch posted:

At the start of this year I did not think I would ever buy a WiiU. Then, unfortunately, Nintendo announced the Zelda game and all my hopes and dreams of not spending so much money went away. It only became a question of timing, because I also wanted a PS4 (for Bloodborne, Last of Us, etc).

Today was decision day. I went to Best Buy just to see what games were already out for each system, and PS4 had literally nothing of interest while WiiU had tons of games I have heard are well-reviewed (plus easy multiplayer accessibility). I ended up going with:

$200 refurbished WiiU deluxe from Nintendo
1 extra Wiimote+ and nunchuk
1 cradle from Amazon
Mario Kart 8 (will choose Pikmin 3 as my freebie)
Super Mario 3D World
Donkey Kong Tropical Freeze

For some reason I thought Bayonetta2 was already out, but I think I'm good to go for now. Very excited after not having a reason to use any of my consoles for a long time. :allears:

Update on this -

The refurb WiiU arrived last night and my games the day before. Tried to get a BestBuy controller but they were out, but the guy also said Customer Service could order one for me so I may go back for that today. I notice the online store does not allow you to order one for delivery.

Absolutely no marks or wear on the console or gamepad, no signs that it has ever been used by anyone. However, while I was setting it up I had tremendous problems with the gamepad connectivity- I had to put it on top of the WiiU unit to get them to sync, and had to sit about one foot away from the console to work on settings (and even then it was constantly disconnecting).

Luckily this seems to have been a software issue. After a massive update (~30 minute download, but I live in the desert so my ISP isn't great) the gamepad works fine even when sitting 10ft away. Also got my old Wiimote and my newer one to sync up without issues.

Looking forward to actually playing a game today...once they all finish their own mini-updates. :)

PirateNipple
Apr 5, 2004

I've been thinking of getting a Wii U and I figure right now is as good a time as any with the Mario Kart 8 free game deal that ends at the end of the month, but Best Buy has a pretty cheap deal on the deluxe system + NSMBU (through today I think?), so that + MK8 seems like the way to go.

Why can't there be a 3d world bundle, that's really what I want :sigh:

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Speaking as someone who thinks the NSMB series ranges from mediocre fangame quality to complete garbage, NSMBU is actually totally worth playing. Not as good as 3D World clearly, but easily the best NSMB game. I hear the Luigi DLC is really good too.

PirateNipple
Apr 5, 2004

I guess I could play it for a day and then sell it for 3d World, too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

PirateNipple posted:

I've been thinking of getting a Wii U and I figure right now is as good a time as any with the Mario Kart 8 free game deal that ends at the end of the month, but Best Buy has a pretty cheap deal on the deluxe system + NSMBU (through today I think?), so that + MK8 seems like the way to go.

Why can't there be a 3d world bundle, that's really what I want :sigh:

Protip get the mover's coupons from the post office to get a 10% off your entire purchase at best buy (if you have a post office that's open on Saturdays, I guess... I think the Best Buy deal ends today). Also see my post a page or so back for tips on going to target and doubling up with an Amazon price match + $15 discount for "reserving" a game to get MK8 for 35 instead of 60.

• Locked thread