Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy

Hazo posted:

I listen to Gottlieb often and he's one of the more thoughtful and open-minded sports radio hosts, especially compared to guys who dominate the medium like those who are openly bigoted jackasses (the guy in that Facebook post) or whose gimmick is "antagonistic douche" (Jim Rome, Scott Ferrall). Gottlieb rules.

I'm becoming a fan of Cowherd on ESPN too, he is pretty accepting and makes good points when the issues come up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Technical Analysis
Nov 21, 2007

I got 99 problems but the British ain't one.

pentyne posted:

The "no sex before marriage" people scream about how great it is and how you're doing it wrong by having pre-marital sex that the only reasonable assumption is their sex is so mediocre/unfulfilling they have to try to convince everyone else its the only option.

The "I grew up in a fundamentalist household/no premarital sex" threads in GBS/EN/A&T have always been a treasure trove of horror stories. The one I will never forget is the girl was raised extremely Christian and was so ashamed of her body that her wedding night consisted of her furiously crying because her 'shame' was exposed to God yet begging her husband to have sex with her because God says she has to have children. And each time he tried to stop she'd grab him and desperately beg him to make her pregnant so the whole event was worthwhile.

A page back but this sounds like something ripped straight from 1984, except God is replacing Big Brother. That's terrifying to me.

anonumos
Jul 14, 2005

Fuck it.

Dr Christmas posted:

Ugh, so just because I believe that it will be a good thing when gay people a subjected to an eternity that makes Auschwitz look like Disney World, that means I'm a bigot?

Only if you want to replicate that afterlife in the living world. Then you're a bigot, as well as a prideful self-idolater for assuming the power to judge others in God's stead. But these idiots are blind to their own sins.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
Nice catch over at Pando Daily, with a piece about what everyone's favorite Libertarian journal of ideas was up to in the 1970s.

The February 1976 issue of Reason is a jam-packed special focusing on re-examining history, specifically the question "who is to say what really happened in those so-called holocaust 'extermination' camps?". Seriously, the contributor list reads like a whos-who of first-generation holocaust deniers, including Ron Paul's longtime ghostwriter Gary North.

It's really hard to pull smoking-gun quotes from the article, and it's too long and full of graphics to usefully quote, so head on over and check it out.

Zero_Grade
Mar 18, 2004

Darktider 🖤🌊

~Neck Angels~

ToxicSlurpee posted:

One thing, as far as I understand, that shifted in journalism over time was a mad rush to get the big story and the viewers paying attention first. As ratings, as indicated by how many people are watching, is the primary thing that matters in TV fact checking and truth took a backseat to sensation. It was easier to get people watching by pushing emotional buttons, throwing fancy graphics at them, and constantly one-upping one another with BREAKING NEWS HORRIBLE THINGS HAPPENING!!!!!! Eventually it got to the point that organizations chasing ratings quit caring about facts because viewers didn't.
This is, hilariously, the exact plot of Anchorman 2.

Xibanya
Sep 17, 2012

Clever Betty
Today my boss told me that Obama has announced that anyone under the age of 30 who is in the US by the end of the day July 31 will be granted legal residency and that the liberal media just didn't want anybody to know.

This is what conservatives actually believe.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Xibanya posted:

Today my boss told me that Obama has announced that anyone under the age of 30 who is in the US by the end of the day July 31 will be granted legal residency and that the liberal media just didn't want anybody to know.

Which is ironic, because that's something I'd love to believe. Like, this is a really good plan for finally fixing immigration. Can we actually do this? Is this a thing we can do?

Maybe we need to hire some conservative talking head and wait for them to go, "HERE'S A THING THAT WOULD HAPPEN AND BE AWFUL :byodood:" and quietly use that as a blueprint.

FuzzySkinner posted:

The idea that he has to inject the sport with supposed "masculinity"/"right wing" is pathetic. I never think of the game in that way, and I'm sure the majority of the people at TFF would be telling that guy to gently caress off.

Speaking as a TFF poster, he can gently caress off.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Xibanya posted:

If you want to watch a conservative squirm and fail to come up with arguments ask them how they plan to track down, identify, and deport millions of illegals then remind them that that would take a poo poo load of logistics which is actually kind of expensive. Then ask how they expect it to get paid for.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx
Go further into debt to Red China, duh.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

Hazo posted:

I listen to Gottlieb often and he's one of the more thoughtful and open-minded sports radio hosts, especially compared to guys who dominate the medium like those who are openly bigoted jackasses (the guy in that Facebook post) or whose gimmick is "antagonistic douche" (Jim Rome, Scott Ferrall). Gottlieb rules.

There's a real bizarre culture from the far right in regards to sports.

http://deadspin.com/whats-the-war-on-football-about-anyway-my-day-on-t-1445826914

The thing that's unusual about this, is that regardless of political believes, I've seen a good portion of former football players say that there's some truly scary things going on in regards to the lasting effects.

You add to that the paranoia about soccer that seems to come from Right Wing Media. There was a conservative talk show host that insisted his kid not watch "Dora the Explorer" or play soccer because he viewed it as "MEXICANS TAKING OVER THE COUNTRY!"

sleepingbuddha
Nov 4, 2010

It's supposed to look like a smashed cinnamon roll

ToxicSlurpee posted:

If you want to watch a conservative squirm and fail to come up with arguments ask them how they plan to track down, identify, and deport millions of illegals then remind them that that would take a poo poo load of logistics which is actually kind of expensive. Then ask how they expect it to get paid for.

They'd probably say, we won't address that issue until the border is secure. Benghazi.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.

FMguru posted:

Nice catch over at Pando Daily, with a piece about what everyone's favorite Libertarian journal of ideas was up to in the 1970s.

The February 1976 issue of Reason is a jam-packed special focusing on re-examining history, specifically the question "who is to say what really happened in those so-called holocaust 'extermination' camps?". Seriously, the contributor list reads like a whos-who of first-generation holocaust deniers, including Ron Paul's longtime ghostwriter Gary North.

It's really hard to pull smoking-gun quotes from the article, and it's too long and full of graphics to usefully quote, so head on over and check it out.

The links between libertarianism and fascism are bizarre and fascinating. Thanks for posting this.

Spacedad
Sep 11, 2001

We go play orbital catch around the curvature of the earth, son.

Pyroxene Stigma posted:

What kind of constructive conversation is even possible when one side of the debate is "It's eternally wrong and you're forever locked out of the kingdom of bullshit"?

Obviously you are the real bigot for not accommodating my belief that your minority group is inherently evil.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

Pope Guilty posted:

The links between libertarianism and fascism are bizarre and fascinating. Thanks for posting this.

Uh, only liberals are fascist. Whereas libertarians are freedom fighters.

Spacedad
Sep 11, 2001

Human lampshades and gold teeth melted into bricks is just the magic forces of the free market at their most productive.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Spacedad posted:

Human lampshades and gold teeth melted into bricks is just the magic forces of the free market at their most productive.

Liberal spotted.

The holocaust never happened, libtard.

Ghost of Reagan Past
Oct 7, 2003

rock and roll fun

ToxicSlurpee posted:

"I'll do it for free!" :freep:

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.
Bachman said a bunch of awful stuff today.
http://www.rightwingwatch.org/content/michele-bachmann-children-ebola-and-people-terrorist-nations-part-immigrant-invasion
http://www.rightwingwatch.org/content/michele-bachmann-gays-want-let-adults-freely-prey-little-children-sexually
It also seems like she is planning to run for president again in 2016.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

ToxicSlurpee posted:

"Reagan proved that deficits don't matter"

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

No matter how much paperwork I process, it never goes away. It only increases.

VitalSigns posted:

"Reagan proved that deficits don't matter"

Speaking of which, how many and which of the conservative and/or Very Serious Pundits pivoted from the "deficits don't matter, the economy is doing great" line in 2004 or 2005 to scaremongering about that and the debt after Obama got elected?

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
"We could easily afford to properly secure our borders and enforce the laws if we stopped giving money away to Those People who just sit around on their porches drinking malt liquor and listening to rap music."

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Jerry Manderbilt posted:

Speaking of which, how many and which of the conservative and/or Very Serious Pundits pivoted from the "deficits don't matter, the economy is doing great" line in 2004 or 2005 to scaremongering about that and the debt after Obama got elected?
All of them, Katie.

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH

So what will Sky Admiral Bachmann cosplay as this time? Perhaps Space Marshal Bachmann, or Time Warden Bachmann?

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

ToxicSlurpee posted:

They'd probably want volunteers (vigilantes/minute men types) to handle it and just let the Cliven Bundy militia shoot everyone on site. Whatever became of those Bundy assholes anyway? I know last I heard they were headed to Murrieta but I never heard anything about it. Or Bundy for that matter.

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

No matter how much paperwork I process, it never goes away. It only increases.

BiggerBoat posted:

They'd probably want volunteers (vigilantes/minute men types) to handle it and just let the Cliven Bundy militia shoot everyone on site. Whatever became of those Bundy assholes anyway? I know last I heard they were headed to Murrieta but I never heard anything about it. Or Bundy for that matter.

That's more current than what I last heard (that they started fighting each other since the feds never rolled around to pick a fight).

Beowulfs_Ghost
Nov 6, 2009

Jerry Manderbilt posted:

Well you see, the full quote is actually, "Reagan proved that deficits don't matter for Republican presidents".

Toasticle
Jul 18, 2003

Hay guys, out this Rape

Intel&Sebastian posted:

That's the entire point. Don't gently caress until marriage so I don't have to talk to you about it or think about it at all, because that would be difficult and embarassing.

My fathers way around it was hiring me a call girl. Doubt my mother knew. His reasoning being learning the mechanics isn't enough, if you're gonna learn learn how to do it right.

His take on the drug talk was offering to get me weed if I wanted to try it but I had to stay home, and if I ever got a DUI/DWI don't ask him for a lawyer and expect to have my lungs ripped out and beaten with them when I get out of jail.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Toasticle posted:

My fathers way around it was hiring me a call girl. Doubt my mother knew. His reasoning being learning the mechanics isn't enough, if you're gonna learn learn how to do it right.

His take on the drug talk was offering to get me weed if I wanted to try it but I had to stay home, and if I ever got a DUI/DWI don't ask him for a lawyer and expect to have my lungs ripped out and beaten with them when I get out of jail.

(wide eyed emoticon expressing disbelief)

Toasticle
Jul 18, 2003

Hay guys, out this Rape
Atheist parents = best parents.

That or "Well your going to do them anyway, may as well make sure you dont get busted buying ditchweed and get someone knocked up"

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Popular Thug Drink posted:

(wide eyed emoticon expressing disbelief)

:catstare: ?

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
My mother was the one that gave me the talk. Probably because my father was way too embarrassed to do it and he's the kind of person that will wait outside on a bench while my mother looks at underwear.

Anyway, all it comprised of was that I use my own condoms because she knew a few girls in high school that would poke holes in them. And to never get married to someone that wasn't white or non-Christian. She denies ever saying that part.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
My mother decided to give me the talk when I was 23. My parents were married right out of high school, I suspect my mom still thinks I'm a virgin :laugh:

Spacedad
Sep 11, 2001

After watching a Jonestown documentary yesterday, just call me 'healthily skeptical' of the idea that parents always know what's best for their kids.

Fuckt Tupp
Apr 19, 2007

Science

Xibanya posted:

Sounds like he's listening to somebody who recently watched Elysium but thought Matt Damon was the villain and the ending was really depressing.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

So, uh, wow, this just came in on my linkedin page.

https://www.linkedin.com/today/post/article/20140725153658-283620963-how-chick-fil-a-hires-the-christian-way?trk=tod-home-art-list-large_0

quote:

Chick-fil-A gets between 10,000 to 25,000 applicants a year from aspiring franchise operators to fill the 60 to 70 open slots that open up each year, according to https://www.ajc.com. As part of the application, Chick-fil-A asks candidates to disclose their marital status, number of dependents and their involvement in community, civil and religious organizations, according to southernstudies.com.

The company’s vetting process can include more than a dozen interviews with an applicant – some lasting hours – and the applicant’s family, including with their children, according to Forbes.Cathy told the magazine he is looking for married candidates (he believes they are more industrious) who are loyal, wholesome and treat their families well.

“If a man can’t manage his own life, he can’t manage a business,” Cathy said, according to Forbes.

Um, wow. Chick-fil-a sounds like a lovely company even beyond the usual "Gay Hating" stuff. Nothing like violating discrimination laws!

poor nose
Oct 29, 2005

Oh Mark Simone, your completely ungraceful ability to drop a problem caller is so cute to listen to, you are so bad at what you do you're the perfect replacement for Sean you make me miss him.

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

The gently caress

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VGaXIhT3SRI
I guess he is just linking to old videos of his to get across his point

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

Okay this was amusing. Stephen Moore, one of the laziest right-wing economists, tried to defend Kansas' horrible recent economic policy, particularly against Paul Krugman:

http://www.heritage.org/research/commentary/2014/7/nothing-the-matter-with-kansas-tax-policy

However, this dude from the Kansas Star noted there were a few problems with Moore's article:

quote:

Here are the four problems I subsequently found in that single paragraph written by Moore, which led to a corrected version of his column being posted on The Star’s website. Moore approved the correction in an email exchange with The Star.

No. 1: When Moore wrote about job creation “over the last five years,” he told The Star that he had measured from December 2007 to December 2012, using federal Bureau of Labor Statistics information.

That was an odd and ultimately misleading decision for readers. The bureau’s data is updated monthly, so “the last five years” easily could and should have been from mid-2009 to mid-2014. That would have provided more up-to-date figures, not 18-month-old data.

No. 2: Texas did not gain 1 million jobs in that 2007-2012 period. The correct figure was a gain of 497,400 jobs.

No. 3: Florida did not add hundreds of thousands of jobs in that span. It lost 461,500 jobs.

No. 4: New York, which has one of the highest income tax rates, did not lose jobs during that time. It gained 75,900 jobs.

As someone who has pored over the Bureau of Labor Statistics sheets for many months, I know figures can be skewed and cherry-picked by people on both sides of this tax-cut debate.

(For example, California since December 2012 — when Moore stopped measuring employment growth — has added 541,000 jobs, which is more than Texas’ 523,400. So, high taxes are good?)

http://www.kansascity.com/opinion/opn-columns-blogs/yael-t-abouhalkah/article800237.html

Moore offered a "correction" here:

http://www.kansascity.com/opinion/readers-opinion/as-i-see-it/article685284.html#/tabPane=tabs-603c299d-1

I'm curious, is it common for people to offer "corrections" like that, where they keep everything they've said about the original article, but still make a note saying that most of the things in the article are in fact wrong?

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Mr Interweb posted:

Okay this was amusing. Stephen Moore, one of the laziest right-wing economists, tried to defend Kansas' horrible recent economic policy, particularly against Paul Krugman:

http://www.heritage.org/research/commentary/2014/7/nothing-the-matter-with-kansas-tax-policy

However, this dude from the Kansas Star noted there were a few problems with Moore's article:

http://www.kansascity.com/opinion/opn-columns-blogs/yael-t-abouhalkah/article800237.html

Moore offered a "correction" here:

http://www.kansascity.com/opinion/readers-opinion/as-i-see-it/article685284.html#/tabPane=tabs-603c299d-1

I'm curious, is it common for people to offer "corrections" like that, where they keep everything they've said about the original article, but still make a note saying that most of the things in the article are in fact wrong?

That corrected article is beautiful. I've never seen so one get so egregious that they put corrections right in the middle of the article like that.

And then the whole thing ends on "Who’s the real con artist and charlatan here?" Like, right after "Texas gained 30 million jobs Note: These numbers are totally loving wrong. California lost so many jobs it broke off and sank into the ocean. Note: This is a complete lie"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Knight
Dec 23, 2000

SPACE-A-HOLIC
Taco Defender

Mr Interweb posted:

Most of the time they just leave a half-assed note at the bottom along the lines of "Since this article has been posted So-And-So has pointed out that X is actually Y" which I find really crappy because the correction comes in long after the incorrect information has been established in the reader's mind. The way this article did it is fairly useful and actually funny considering how smarmy Moore is trying to be:

quote:

No-income-tax Texas gained 1 million jobs over the last five years, California, with its 13 percent tax rate, managed to lose jobs. Oops. Florida gained hundreds of thousands of jobs while New York lost jobs. NOTE: These figures are incorrect. The time period covered was December 2007 to December 2012. Over that time, Texas gained 497,400 jobs, California lost 491,200, Florida lost 461,500 and New York gained 75,900. Oops. Illinois raised taxes more than any other state over the last five years and its credit rating is the second lowest of all the states, below that of Kansas!
Oops.