Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Squinty Applebottom
Jan 1, 2013

like it would embarrass me to be a perfect example of why people in my industry are universally hated or mocked

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fuck them
Jan 21, 2011

and their bullshit
:yotj:

coffeetable posted:

e: 2banks you ignored the reactions your last couple of posts like that one elicited so if it feels like you're being dogpiled here, welp.

I'm on my phone.

Also how am I the down kicker if my boss is being the butt

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

gently caress them posted:

I'm on my phone.

Also how am I the down kicker if my boss is being the butt

lmao

Fuck them
Jan 21, 2011

and their bullshit

Citizen Tayne posted:

Did you try fixing the joins? lol

:rolleyes:

So I guess not being able to, from memory, recite the logorrhea that is decorating one's methods and the various tags and such for web.config while on the phone with everyone in the room yawning or actively mocking the person on the phone means I'm the worst dev in the universe? Even experienced people don't overlook specific settings? Really now?

Coffetable or jawn or whoever got mad when I saw a lazy sr dev, no accountability, and general sloppiness and took it upon himself to have a hate-boner for me because I haven't gotten enough years doing this to say "hey my workplace is lazy and does a lot of nothing." Because it's so uppity to say "hey let's use source control." I did more work in a week or two at my old job than I have here because the management isn't technical and the other dev is literally never here.

I guess it's not good form to say "hey what can cause X when I did Y and Z" without a full post of the source code doing Y and Z but the attitude problem here is a circular firing squad right now.

I thought this is supposed to be the help thread not the swordfight with out e-dicks thread.

But OK, fine.

Kevin Mitnick P.E. posted:

keep searching stack overflow i'm sure you'll come up with something

I thought you were just Java but ok let's try some .NET

I tried decorating with WebInvoke setting the method, request format, response format, and uritemplate.

I also went through the litany of settings in webconfig.

Cherry on top:

My boss just sent a to-all email where the conf call I ditched ended with the person on the phone saying she'd just send us the notes she was reading from for the last two hours.

This job is melting my brain or something.

Apr 7, 2003

:rolleyes:

So I guess not being able to, from memory, recite the logorrhea that is decorating one's methods and the various tags and such for web.config while on the phone with everyone in the room yawning or actively mocking the person on the phone means I'm the worst dev in the universe? Even experienced people don't overlook specific settings? Really now?

Coffetable or jawn or whoever got mad when I saw a lazy sr dev, no accountability, and general sloppiness and took it upon himself to have a hate-boner for me because I haven't gotten enough years doing this to say "hey my workplace is lazy and does a lot of nothing." Because it's so uppity to say "hey let's use source control." I did more work in a week or two at my old job than I have here because the management isn't technical and the other dev is literally never here.

I guess it's not good form to say "hey what can cause X when I did Y and Z" without a full post of the source code doing Y and Z but the attitude problem here is a circular firing squad right now.

I thought this is supposed to be the help thread not the swordfight with out e-dicks thread.

But OK, fine.

I tried decorating with WebInvoke setting the method, request format, response format, and uritemplate.

Cherry on top:

My boss just sent a to-all email where the conf call I ditched ended with the person on the phone saying she'd just send us the notes she was reading from for the last two hours.

This job is melting my brain or something.

maybe you should try to fix the joins.

Fuck them
Jan 21, 2011

and their bullshit

Citizen Tayne posted:

maybe you should try to fix the joins.

What the gently caress are you on? There isn't anything wrong with any SQL anywhere. I'm getting valid output, but the JSON is wrapped in a single XML string, and it shouldn't be a huge pain in the rear end to say "just spit out my loving string."

Apr 7, 2003

What the gently caress are you on? There isn't anything wrong with any SQL anywhere. I'm getting valid output, but the JSON is wrapped in a single XML string, and it shouldn't be a huge pain in the rear end to say "just spit out my loving string."

The joins are clearly the problem. just fix them.

Fuck them
Jan 21, 2011

and their bullshit
could I get a hat wobble

double sulk
Jul 2, 2010

Gas.

Squinty Applebottom
Jan 1, 2013

have you looked at the execution plan? maybe spillover into tempdb thats slow?

Squinty Applebottom
Jan 1, 2013

In this moment, I am euphoric. Not because of any phony god's blessing. But because I am using clustered index seeks.

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord
I don't know the context but I got a slight impression that people here don't like you 2banks

maybe they want to you to :frogout:

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison
this wouldn't have happened if you had used node and mongo

Apr 7, 2003

Have you fixed the joins yet?

also that's 2banks1swap, aka flux_core? lol

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
you are missing an index. its always a missing index

Apr 7, 2003

the joins probably need to be fixed, too.

coffeetable
Feb 5, 2006

TELL ME AGAIN HOW GREAT BRITAIN WOULD BE IF IT WAS RULED BY THE MERCILESS JACKBOOT OF PRINCE CHARLES

YES I DO TALK TO PLANTS ACTUALLY

please compare and contrast your whining bout source control w/ EAT THE EGGS RICOLAs whining bout source control

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA posted:

help i can't get my boss to use version control what do i do our files are all saved with "backups" named like form.html, formgood.html, formold.html, formbak.html, formbak2.html

on a production server

you can even access the old versions by going to that url

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA posted:

oh yeah I'm doing this, i have my poo poo set up. i just have an additional step of "has any magic happened since last time i pushed" to deal with

Papes
Apr 13, 2010

There's always something at the bottom of the bag.
anyone fix the joins yet?

Apr 7, 2003

Papes posted:

anyone fix the joins yet?

I don't think the joins have been fixed yet. Check back later.

Workaday Wizard
Oct 23, 2009

by Pragmatica
this was supposed to be a safe zone :(

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison
can we tighten up the joins on level 3

Papes
Apr 13, 2010

There's always something at the bottom of the bag.

Citizen Tayne posted:

I don't think the joins have been fixed yet. Check back later.

you know now that i think about it, that's probably why the forums have been busted lately. lotax had to fix the joins.

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

wish ude join you are posts to /dev/null!!

coffeetable
Feb 5, 2006

TELL ME AGAIN HOW GREAT BRITAIN WOULD BE IF IT WAS RULED BY THE MERCILESS JACKBOOT OF PRINCE CHARLES

YES I DO TALK TO PLANTS ACTUALLY

Shinku ABOOKEN posted:

this was supposed to be a safe zone :(
it's "terrible programmers" not "terrible people"

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

what ever did happen to the tshirt guy? did anyone buy access to his blog?

also lol @ sales twit

Fuck them
Jan 21, 2011

and their bullshit

BONGHITZ posted:

what ever did happen to the tshirt guy? did anyone buy access to his blog?

also lol @ sales twit
She did send us the notes she was reading from btw.

Kathleen
Feb 26, 2013

Grimey Drawer
it's not his fault he's bad at his job. the cluelessness of all these non-technical women is getting to him. it's hard to think straight with all that chortling.

Fuck them
Jan 21, 2011

and their bullshit

focal ischemia posted:

it's not his fault he's bad at his job. the cluelessness of all these non-technical women is getting to him. it's hard to think straight with all that chortling.

The problem wasn't her gender, the problem was the fact that she was clearly completely unprepared for what she was doing, in reading someone else's notes.
Next time somebody does this on a conference call, I will be sure to only use genderless pronouns.

Also trying to dig through someone else's ancient crappy spaghetti project and the similarly weird configuration is actually totally easy I'm uniquely bad at it. I'm also so stupid I'd post here before, not after, actually reading MSDN or stack overflow.

God drat I love circular firing squad culture.

Fuck them fucked around with this message at 22:41 on Jul 25, 2014

Workaday Wizard
Oct 23, 2009

by Pragmatica
yo IT fucks how about you explain your crap in business relevant terms
-- the management

Squinty Applebottom
Jan 1, 2013

Shinku ABOOKEN posted:

yo IT fucks how about you explain your crap in business relevant terms
-- the management

well you see sir, the joins are too slow.

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

Squinty Applebottom posted:

In this moment, I am euphoric. Not because of any phony god's blessing. But because I am using clustered index seeks.

whats the use case for a clustered index, i've never run into a situation where seeks to fetch rows were a big part of execution time. table scans, big problem

Fuck them
Jan 21, 2011

and their bullshit
Ironically our vendor provided software has some lovely, lovely lovely lovely databases associated with it. They actually either indexed the wrong column or didn't at all a lot of the time, nothing is normalized, and yes, the joins were at one point very slow.

I'll go make a powerpoint about mongo and node, good ieda!!

Squinty Applebottom
Jan 1, 2013

whats the use case for a clustered index, i've never run into a situation where seeks to fetch rows were a big part of execution time. table scans, big problem

clustered indexes determine the physical order in which your data is stored on the hard drive. your databases are tiny babby databases if a proper clustered index isn't a concern

Squinty Applebottom
Jan 1, 2013

clustered indexes also force a unique constraint so it helps with data integrity as well

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

I always knew it would end like this.
idg the joins are slow thing

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

dunno man i just put jackson on the classpath, annotate the controller class with @RestController, and return pojos from my controller methods

a little config fuckery is required if i want to ensure clients only ever get json cause spring likes to autodetect the poo poo out of everything and it'll probably produce csv if you don't tell it not to. but that's a cross i just have to bear

i found all this out by reading the docs and the source. like maybe do find usages on webinvoke and see how MVC is processing it & deciding what format to send the response

Flaming June
Oct 21, 2004

man between here and the cjs thread the last few days have been an eye-opener about how not to conduct business attitudes

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

Squinty Applebottom posted:

clustered indexes determine the physical order in which your data is stored on the hard drive. your databases are tiny babby databases if a proper clustered index isn't a concern

maybe if you have a where clause with a high match rate then a clustered index will help? what im saying is that ime 99% of queries either select <1k rows or table scan. table scan might be because of missing index or it might be because theres no where clause.

what im trying to envision is a scenario where a regular index isnt good enough and a clustered index will give a significant perf boost

raruler
Oct 5, 2003

“Here lies a toppled god —
His fall was not a small one.
We did but build his pedestal,
A narrow and a tall one.”

Flaming June posted:

man between here and the cjs thread the last few days have been an eye-opener about how not to conduct business attitudes

and a reminder to be constantly vigilant in the face of SQL joins

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Squinty Applebottom
Jan 1, 2013

maybe if you have a where clause with a high match rate then a clustered index will help? what im saying is that ime 99% of queries either select <1k rows or table scan. table scan might be because of missing index or it might be because theres no where clause.

what im trying to envision is a scenario where a regular index isnt good enough and a clustered index will give a significant perf boost

you need info for resourceid = 509 out of 1 billion

clustered indexes will be orders of magnitude more performant, especially if you start joining on resourceid between tables

• Locked thread