Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Immortal Iron Fist, maybe?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

Already on my list of stuff to read but since it's getting suggested as good streetlevel, I'm bumping it higher up. Thanks.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

Fraction/Aja/Wu Hawkeye.

I haven't read it because Greg Land, but a lot of people like Mighty Avengers, and that's pretty street level.

There's probably not much of it on Unlimited yet, but you could maybe check out Edmonson/Noto Black Widow. It might not be quite what you're looking for as it's more of a spy book, but there's no superheroes in it really.

irlZaphod fucked around with this message at 22:36 on Jul 24, 2014

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

Sweet. Will do. Should also mention The Superior Foes of Spider-Man was recommended to me earlier and that poo poo was outlandishly great. I'm completely fine with bright fun comics. They ain't all gotta be Matt Murdock gets another person killed again (though I love a good Kingpin story.)

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

Yeah Hawkeye is largely fun/slice of life type stuff, about how Clint is well-meaning but a colossal gently caress-up at times.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
Is Runaways on there? See if that's up your alley (it goes a little beyond "street level" at times, but pretty grounded for the most part).

Wendell
May 11, 2003

Now we all know the current Wonder Woman run is great, but are there any runs prior to this that are also worthwhile?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Wendell posted:

Now we all know the current Wonder Woman run is great, but are there any runs prior to this that are also worthwhile?
George Perez and Greg Rucka.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Wendell posted:

Perez' is a stone-cold classic; Messner-Loebs took her in a very different direction, away from All Greek Gods, All The Time, and had her working in a fast food joint (and going into spaaaaace), which I kind of love; Nothing about Bryne's run has interested me personally, art- or story-wise; I quite like what I've seen of Eric Luke's run--Yanick Paquette was on art for a good chunk of it, and I liked her mixing it up with Indian or Hindu (not sure!) gods. Devestation was a good foil/antagonist, too; Jimenez did a large chunk of writing and illustrating after that, and it's some beautiful comics. It got choppy near the end because he was never sure when his time was going to be up, and he got sucked into a few crossovers as well; Rucka's, as mentioned, is pretty great all around, and there are some pretty powerful moments. That's all I know!

I actually just got a bunch of the Perez and Rucka back issues in the mail today from a CCL store.

redbackground fucked around with this message at 21:37 on Jul 25, 2014

Wendell
May 11, 2003

Thanks, guys. I appreciate the in depth response, redbackground! Now I wish Comixology didn't think two dollars for ancient issues was a good price.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

Endless Mike posted:

George Perez and Greg Rucka.

What can you tell me about the Greg Rucka run without spoiling it for Wendell? I only know him from a Spidey one-shot and Queen and Country. He seems like an odd choice to do a large-scale big-name hero.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

Nehru the Damaja posted:

What can you tell me about the Greg Rucka run without spoiling it for Wendell? I only know him from a Spidey one-shot and Queen and Country. He seems like an odd choice to do a large-scale big-name hero.

He worked on Batman, Detective Comics, and Elektra before Wonder Woman and the very well regarded Batwoman work in Detective Comics after.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Nehru the Damaja posted:

I've only read a little of it, but a lot of it deals with Diana's work as ambassador to man's world.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I'm keen on getting into the Pérez run in the future. I imagine most of it is available digitally, though I like collected editions best; there don't seem to be very many but I am hopeful that if Wonder Woman starts showing up in movies DC will get the finger out.

Hahahaha, I'm only messing, there's less chance of that than DC announcing the "Legion of Super-Heroes by Paul Levitz and Keith Giffen Omnibus".

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Uthor posted:

He worked on Batman, Detective Comics, and Elektra before Wonder Woman and the very well regarded Batwoman work in Detective Comics after.

He also wrote Superman and Action Comics. He also had a pretty great Wolverine run. I think he is one of the few who has written a bat book, Superman book, and Wonder Woman.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
Rucka was also on Gotham Central with Brubacker.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Nehru the Damaja posted:

There was the diplomat stuff, and a lot of Greek god politics. Queen and Country isn't a bad comparison. Without getting into details Wonder Woman is an agent of Artemis and isn't aware of the extent of Artemis' plans.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
How was the post-JLI Mr.Miracle series where he lives in suburbia?

Also, is it in trade?

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

El Gallinero Gros posted:

How was the post-JLI Mr.Miracle series where he lives in suburbia?

Also, is it in trade?

I used to have all of them back in the day. It's okay -- not as good as JLI, but pleasant, entertaining, inoffensively funny, and it works well as a JLI spinoff. The first five issues are a Kirby pastiche, picking up on plot threads and ideas from his original Mister Miracle series.

But then G'nort guest-stars in #6, there's a fun Blue Beetle and Booster Gold story in #7-8, and from there, it ties into JLI a lot closer, culminating in Scott, Oberon, and Funky Flashman going on tour in space, with the prone-to-malfunctioning Mister Miracle android taking his place in the JLI (around Justice League America #36-42). There was a lot of decent art (and really silly late '80s fashions) from a guy named Joe Phillips who never did much else, if I recall correctly.

The series ran for 28 issues, but it was never collected. If you could track down all the back issues, they would fit perfectly in one custom-bound hardcover. If I hadn't sold mine off years ago, I would have done that with them.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Big Bad Voodoo Lou posted:

I used to have all of them back in the day. It's okay -- not as good as JLI, but pleasant, entertaining, inoffensively funny, and it works well as a JLI spinoff. The first five issues are a Kirby pastiche, picking up on plot threads and ideas from his original Mister Miracle series.

But then G'nort guest-stars in #6, there's a fun Blue Beetle and Booster Gold story in #7-8, and from there, it ties into JLI a lot closer, culminating in Scott, Oberon, and Funky Flashman going on tour in space, with the prone-to-malfunctioning Mister Miracle android taking his place in the JLI (around Justice League America #36-42). There was a lot of decent art (and really silly late '80s fashions) from a guy named Joe Phillips who never did much else, if I recall correctly.

The series ran for 28 issues, but it was never collected. If you could track down all the back issues, they would fit perfectly in one custom-bound hardcover. If I hadn't sold mine off years ago, I would have done that with them.

Good to know. I'm a big fan of the character, so I'm thinking of trying to get all his major appearances. His original series, JLI (already have that), the Seven Soldiers mini, etc.

azren
Feb 14, 2011

Okay, I'm trying to write an academic-ish paper/reveiw about superhero comics as relating to American literature, and I wanted to know if someone can suggest a strong, independently operating superheroine besides Wonder Woman (she's already included), ideally Marvel, to get a cross-section. I've been trying, and I'm just drawing blanks, only coming up with heroines who are either secondary characters, or part of a team. Any suggestions would be helpful. Thanks!

edit: the aim is ultimately to provide examples of superheroes/heroines who can stand as examples of the contribution of superhero comics to American literature.

azren fucked around with this message at 19:54 on Jul 27, 2014

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

azren posted:

Okay, I'm trying to write an academic-ish paper/reveiw about superhero comics as relating to American literature, and I wanted to know if someone can suggest a strong, independently operating superheroine besides Wonder Woman (she's already included), ideally Marvel, to get a cross-section. I've been trying, and I'm just drawing blanks, only coming up with heroines who are either secondary characters, or part of a team. Any suggestions would be helpful. Thanks!

edit: the aim is ultimately to provide examples of superheroes/heroines who can stand as examples of the contribution of superhero comics to American literature.

Captain/Ms. Marvel (mainly the new series) is all about being a strong, independent superheroine. She-Hulk is also an interesting case since she has a civilian job.

Hakkesshu fucked around with this message at 20:07 on Jul 27, 2014

Sarchasm
Apr 14, 2002

So that explains why he did not answer. He had no mouth to answer with. There is nothing left of him but his ears.

^^ Oh, come the gently caress on.

azren posted:

Maybe Captain Marvel, who started out as Miss Marvel and became Ms Marvel before finally naming herself Captain Marvel in 2012.

I think there's a decent case to be made (hurr pun) for She Hulk, as well.

azren
Feb 14, 2011

Hakkesshu posted:

Captain/Ms. Marvel (mainly the new series) is all about being a strong, independent superheroine. She-Hulk is also an interesting case since she has a civilian job.

Sarchasm posted:

Maybe Captain Marvel, who started out as Miss Marvel and became Ms Marvel before finally naming herself Captain Marvel in 2012.

Thanks, I'll make sure to look those up!

edit: is any specific identity of Captain/Ms/Miss Marvel recommended? From a cursory glance (not going into anything very much), Kamala Khan seems promising.

azren fucked around with this message at 20:45 on Jul 27, 2014

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

El Gallinero Gros posted:

Good to know. I'm a big fan of the character, so I'm thinking of trying to get all his major appearances. His original series, JLI (already have that), the Seven Soldiers mini, etc.

Keep in mind that there was also a third Mister Miracle series in the very late '90s (I've never read it), and that the Mister Miracle in Seven Soldiers was Scott Free's protege Shilo Norman, who was introduced in Kirby's first series and became a supporting character in the latter half of the JLI-era second series.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Sarchasm posted:

I don't think Carol Danvers ever went by Miss Marvel, which, for a character that premiered in the 70's, is a pretty important distinction.

azren posted:

While her first appearance was in X-Men, Dazzler had her own series that lasted several years. Several heroines who are usually thought of as being part of a team have had solo mini-series, Rogue and Mystique I know did. Storm just got her own solo ongoing, but there's only one issue at so far. Also, the recent run of (adjective-less) X-Men is a team book, but the entire team is women in this incarnation.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

azren posted:

edit: is any specific identity of Captain/Ms/Miss Marvel recommended? From a cursory glance (not going into anything very much), Kamala Khan seems promising.

Carol Danvers is the standard-bearer for the Ms. Marvel (currently Captain Marvel) identity; Kamala Khan is a great character but her series is only six issues old and so she might not have the depth of material needed for an academic study.

And yeah, IIRC Carol never went by Miss Marvel (I don't think anyone did, actually). It was always 'Ms.,' which - given her 1977 debut - was attempting to tie into the zeitgeist a bit by presenting her as strong and independent despite the fact that she was essentially a spinoff character.

Sarchasm
Apr 14, 2002

So that explains why he did not answer. He had no mouth to answer with. There is nothing left of him but his ears.

azren posted:

Kamala Khan was just introduced recently and she's the current Ms Marvel. I think she's only been around for about a year. Carol Danvers was Ms Marvel from the seventies until 2012, when she took the name Captain Marvel for herself.

I'm only familiar with Carol Danvers so she's who I meant when I suggested Ms/Captain Marvel, but I hear the Kamala Khan book is good, too. And as other people have noted, I was wrong in attributing the "Miss Marvel" name to her, I don't think anyone's ever gone by that name in Marvel comics.

Edit: I think I might've been confused because Jean Grey used to go by "Marvel Girl."

Sarchasm fucked around with this message at 21:03 on Jul 27, 2014

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Carol Danvers is not only notable for being one of Marvel's few female characters with multiple volumes of her own solo book, she also has a military career and was appointed the leader of the Avengers fairly recently, though it didn't stick.

The whole point of the 2012 Captain Marvel series from a thematic perspective was to establish a strong feminist superheroine, written by a woman. Not only did the character ditch the gendered title, she coopted the name of a (or two, if you will) long-revered male superhero. Most of the front covers of that book are based heavily on 20th century feminist imagery, e.g. Rosie the Riveter.

Unfortunately the book itself hasn't been great (here, Kamala Khan has the upper hand so far), but she has been given the biggest marketing push of probably any female superhero of the past 5 years or so, inspiring quite a dedicated fanbase.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer
Marvel is dping everything they can to position Carol as their premier female hero. So that's probably your best bet. Kamala could possibly your into that since she's inspired by Carol.

EDIT: Wow, that's what it looks like when you phone post.

Soonmot fucked around with this message at 23:50 on Jul 27, 2014

azren
Feb 14, 2011

Thanks, that really helps a lot! Looks like I got some serious researchin' to do!

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Soonmot posted:

Marvel is dping everything they can to position Carol as their premier female hero.
:stare:
I guess that's one way to do it.

WinnebagoWarrior
Apr 8, 2009

I eat Rotheseburgehergh's like you for breakfast
/\/\/\ its very progressive - we shouldnt be so quick to judge women who work in the sex industry. Being a super heroine doesnt pay well so she gotta earn an honest living.

WinnebagoWarrior fucked around with this message at 17:44 on Jul 29, 2014

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

WinnebagoWarrior posted:

/\/\/\ its very progressive - we shouldnt be so quick to judge women who work in the sex industry. Being a super heroine doesnt pay well so she gotta earn an honest living.

She has her son/husband that she needs to take care of!

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Plus if you're already including Wonder Woman she's Marvel's closest analogue.

unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008
Are there any sci-fi comics that capture a pulpy Heavy Metal/Captain Sternn-type feel?

Like 2000AD but in space.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

unlimited shrimp posted:

Are there any sci-fi comics that capture a pulpy Heavy Metal/Captain Sternn-type feel?

Like 2000AD but in space.
Fear Agent?

I haven't read any, but Black Science (also by Remender) would probably work, too.

Oh, Fearless Dawn In Outer Space fits your description pretty well.

redbackground fucked around with this message at 21:36 on Jul 29, 2014

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer

redbackground posted:

Fear Agent?

I haven't read any, but Black Science (also by Remender) would probably work, too.

Oh, Fearless Dawn In Outer Space fits your description pretty well.

East of West, maybe?

A Tin Of Beans
Nov 25, 2013

Soonmot posted:

East of West, maybe?

East of West isn't in space, if that matters, but it is sci-fi and pretty cool.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dubs
Mar 6, 2007

Stroll Own Zone.
Disregard Stroll outside zone.
Seems like a good page to ask about Danvers.

Where is a good point to start reading ms/cap Marvel? Has there been a decent recentish(90s+) reboot of her char? And the same question for stories with .. Black Panther, Ant-man, Fantomex/Deadpool/X-Force? Does Avengers itself ever cover things like this?

I haven't read many comics at all but got a marvel sub recently (and read heaps of marvel cosmic), and I know its completely irrational (because i was never going to read them anyway) but it annoys me when I pick up an arc for a character and it spoils other events and stuff. I had no plans to read it, but I read the first few pages of 2008 Avengers recently (to see why its so disliked) and that book straight up starts with HERE IS A LIST OF DEAD PEOPLE FROM AVENGERS AND X-MEN AND poo poo. I know what happens in most of the big events through the timeline but it ruins going back past that time and knowing what happens to who.

Should I just start reading Avengers from disassembled on? or something? Can I jump into these kinds of characters without having read avengers at all?

I have no real interest in reading civil war/or the big X-men culling event and Richard Rider Nova is my favourite comic by far if that helps. This question got long. I apologize.

TL;DR - I have run out of cosmic to read and am now stuck on earth. I have no real interest in Captain America/ Ironman/ Spiderman/ Thor/ Wolverine/ FF.

What should I jump into that isn't in the middle of a big arc containing crossover poo poo?, like everything i have picked up so far seems to be?

Dubs fucked around with this message at 14:55 on Jul 30, 2014