Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rasamune
Jan 19, 2011

MORT
MORT
MORT

Blackheart posted:

Well but Ysengrin's army were being gigantic goons at the moment so it was necessary.

I think he's referring to just this past chapter, in which case it was still necessary because it was cool

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
lookit this douchebag n' goth chick

the '?!' at the end of his sentence is weird with his facial expression

Deformed Church
May 12, 2012

5'5", IQ 81

I think it's nice that Zimmy's been able to get some help. She looks almost normal. My pointless speculation is that it is Zimmy and the rest of the chapter will have her stuff become relevant while she struggles between controlling it and using it. Not being zimmy means that either they'll have a long, horrible awkward teenage conversation on why he's going out with someone who looks really like the girl he's actually into, which seems like a step beyond how the comic has gone so far, or assume the characters already know and keep up in the dark, which doesn't seem likely either. Plus, it's about time for an update on her.

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

That thing on her eyebrow isn't a piercing, it's just her lobotomy scar.

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

Am I the only one who really, really wants this to be a Doctor Disaster murder mystery cruise?

TimNeilson
Dec 21, 2008

Hahaha!
It's not Zimmy because Zimmy and Gamma are already a couple, and I don't see that breakup resulting in Zimmy becoming more stable. It has to be some other girl.

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe
I bet Jack just has a thing for goth girls. Lots of folk like goth girls. I like goth girls.

I am guessing Annie is gonna get jealous because of this new girl, even if she doesn't particularly like Jack, because Annie is still a teenager and likely has some teenager issues to go through. Also, tea-San is pretty good about showing Annie as human and flawed after runs of her being super-competent.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

I don't think that's Zimmy. It might be that she looks almost nothing like her, or maybe that even though she's only been in a single panel it's already apparent that she doesn't really act like her, or maybe because "she fixed all her problems off-screen" is kinda boring, but I really don't think it's Zimmy. Jack probably just likes goth girls.

Smoky Bandana
Oct 1, 2009

You can trip on my synthesizer.

a medical mystery posted:

Am I the only one who really, really wants this to be a Doctor Disaster murder mystery cruise?

I don't think anyone doesn't want that.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!

rotinaj posted:

I bet Jack just has a thing for goth girls. Lots of folk like goth girls. I like goth girls.

I am guessing Annie is gonna get jealous because of this new girl, even if she doesn't particularly like Jack, because Annie is still a teenager and likely has some teenager issues to go through. Also, tea-San is pretty good about showing Annie as human and flawed after runs of her being super-competent.

Read Annie in the forest, it adds some more to Straight On Til Morning. Annie has a thing for Jack, her behavior there was her doing what the lady elves told her to do to get a guy to like her back

She mad jelly yo

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Don't mind me, just posting one of the best pages again.

Also:

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

I think the fact that this is clearly Jack but that he looks quite different is what's making it seem possible that this is Zimmy, even though it's probably not.

Puberty has not been kind to the boy.

maswastaken
Nov 12, 2011

It's Boxbot and I don't understand how you don't see it.

Rasamune
Jan 19, 2011

MORT
MORT
MORT

Fried Chicken posted:

Read Annie in the forest, it adds some more to Straight On Til Morning. Annie has a thing for Jack, her behavior there was her doing what the lady elves told her to do to get a guy to like her back

She mad jelly yo

Annie only said Jack because the elf asked her if there was a boy she liked and she was all SELECT First_Name FROM Male_People WHERE Species == "Human" AND Last_Name <> "Eglamore"

I think she was only doing all that because she felt like she ought to, not because she really wanted to

SolTerrasa
Sep 2, 2011

Kennel posted:

Also:

Zimmy in the last panel there is almost identical to Zimmy in the last panel today. It's gotta be her.

E: not almost, *exactly*.

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021

SolTerrasa posted:

Zimmy in the last panel there is almost identical to Zimmy in the last panel today. It's gotta be her.

E: not almost, *exactly*.

:thejoke:

idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

This reasoning is possible for forums user idonotlikepeas!
That last panel has been "edited" by a program such as "Photoshop". The original page looked like this:

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012

Kennel posted:

Also:

This has probably been said a milion times, but I love that the two strands of hair on Jack's forhead resemble spider fangs.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Dr Subterfuge posted:

Dammit Internet the only thing that is similar between Zimmy and mystery girl is the messy black hair.

The area under her eyes. It looks a lot like how Zimmy does when the rain has washed WEIRD BLACK poo poo away.

Lacks red irises though as far as I can tell.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE

Fried Chicken posted:

She mad jelly yo

Rasamune posted:

Annie only said Jack because the elf asked her if there was a boy she liked and she was all SELECT First_Name FROM Male_People WHERE Species == "Human" AND Last_Name <> "Eglamore"

I think she was only doing all that because she felt like she ought to, not because she really wanted to

This is one of my favorite things so I'm going to expound on it.

The whole scene is awkwardly, wonderfully innocent.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

That "Boys I Know" is still one of my favorite gags from this comic. I do wonder why there's even any confusion about what kind of ocean it is. Unless the whole thing is a Dr. Disaster vacation scenario.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Saoshyant posted:

I do wonder why there's even any confusion about what kind of ocean it is. Unless the whole thing is a Dr. Disaster vacation scenario.

Unless Annie and Kat's geography is absolutely atrocious, I'm going to assume they never left Court grounds. That would be some cause for confusion.

Edit: In fact, they didn't! You can see it in the background of panel 2.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver
The best thing about this to me is how easy it is to assume that, from left to right, this is the order that Annie thought of them. Of course she thinks of Renard first, she thinks of a living shadow, a robot and a ghost before she even thinks of an actual human being, and by the time he gets to Winsbury she's really scraping the bottom of the barrel.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
It is, that's what the motion lines of the arrow are.

Keromaru5
Dec 28, 2012

Pictured: The Wolf Of Gubbio (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
I could go both ways on that being Zimmy. On the one hand, she does look a whole heck of a lot like her without her usual horrorglamour (for lack of a better word). On the other hand, I don't see Zimmy baring her midriff like that.

amishjosh
Jul 16, 2004
Yeah

a medical mystery posted:

the comic always needs more doctor disaster

Dr Subterfuge
Aug 31, 2005

TIME TO ROC N' ROLL

Captain Oblivious posted:

The area under her eyes. It looks a lot like how Zimmy does when the rain has washed WEIRD BLACK poo poo away.

Lacks red irises though as far as I can tell.

It really doesn't, actually. Zimmy's eyes look like they just had weird black poo poo washed away: http://www.gunnerkrigg.com/?p=196

Mystery Girl looks like she has on eye liner.

Also this:

Nihilarian posted:

I don't think that's Zimmy. It might be that she looks almost nothing like her, or maybe that even though she's only been in a single panel it's already apparent that she doesn't really act like her, or maybe because "she fixed all her problems off-screen" is kinda boring, but I really don't think it's Zimmy. Jack probably just likes goth girls.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

Saoshyant posted:

That "Boys I Know" is still one of my favorite gags from this comic. I do wonder why there's even any confusion about what kind of ocean it is. Unless the whole thing is a Dr. Disaster vacation scenario.

A reminder that, AFAIK, no-one has this AV yet :v:

BOYS I KNOW

Daius
Sep 10, 2010

Not only is this a Doctor Disaster chapter, Not!Zimmy is actually a projection controlled and voiced by Randy himself.

amishjosh
Jul 16, 2004
Yeah

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

A reminder that, AFAIK, no-one has this AV yet :v:

BOYS I KNOW

well now it's out of date since shadow is 3d, mort is gonein the ether, and jack has some dirt on his chin.

Meowjesty
Oct 23, 2009

Friends depend on each other.
Every time someone's like 'oh is that Zimmy?' a fairy dies.

And they don't get to go to the court afterwards. :mad:

BobTheJanitor
Jun 28, 2003

Oh, is that Brinnie?

Edward_Tohr
Aug 11, 2012

In lieu of meaningful text, I'm just going to mention I've been exploding all day and now it hurts to breathe, so I'm sure you all understand.
Clearly it's a transgendered clone of Anthony sent back in time who dyed her hair when she got possessed by Hetty, duh.

Kobold eBooks
Mar 5, 2007

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AN OPEN PALM SLAM A CARTRIDGE IN THE SUPER FAMICOM. ITS E-ZEAO AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I START DOING THE MOVES ALONGSIDE THE MAIN CHARACTER, CORPORAL FALCOM.
It's probably Zimmy and we'll probably get an explanation in the Gamma and Zimmy side-comic.

Just wait for the mystery, guys, enjoy the story being told~

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Why does everybody think Jack is Zimmy?

And why is Annie all embarrassed? Annie you are a strong independent psychic soul reaper fire beast thing who don't need no man

Hwurmp fucked around with this message at 22:07 on Jul 25, 2014

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013
Zimmy cleans up nicely. :) Is this a hidden message about girls needing guys. :tinfoil:

Just lamely joking obviously.

BobTheJanitor
Jun 28, 2003

bathroomrage posted:

It's probably Zimmy and we'll probably get an explanation in the Gamma and Zimmy side-comic.

Just wait for the mystery, guys, enjoy the story being told~

That's not a side story, that's a huge story. That's like Reynard showing up one day and now he's a talking ironing board. Or Jones hops in and now she's a purple toad, but no one comments on it.

Rasamune
Jan 19, 2011

MORT
MORT
MORT

BobTheJanitor posted:

That's not a side story, that's a huge story. That's like Reynard showing up one day and now he's a talking ironing board. Or Jones hops in and now she's a purple toad, but no one comments on it.

It comes down to the fact that "Zimmy solved all of her major myriad character problems off-screen, cleaned up her appearance and hooked up with the boy who repulsed her" not only comes out of nowhere, but is also dumb and terrible; whereas "Jack couldn't score with Zimmy or Annie so now he's dating a girl who kinda looks like a blend of them both" not only follows from the story so far, but is also loving funny.

Really Pants posted:

And why is Annie all embarrassed? Annie you are a strong independent psychic soul reaper fire beast thing who don't need no man

I think it's less "embarrassed" and more "every time I interact with this guy I end up feeling like poo poo, please just go away"

Rasamune fucked around with this message at 23:08 on Jul 25, 2014

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
I'd like her to be a fusion of Zimmy and Gamma, ala Steven Universe and the Crystal Gems.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Dr Subterfuge posted:

It really doesn't, actually. Zimmy's eyes look like they just had weird black poo poo washed away: http://www.gunnerkrigg.com/?p=196

Mystery Girl looks like she has on eye liner.

Also this:

I could be misremembering, but I was thinking of one of the more recent instances of Zimmy in the rain. It's hard to compare that older art, for me.