Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

put both hands in
Nov 28, 2007

:swoon:FYFE:swoon:
A thing you can do with hype stickers is peel them off the shrinkwrap and stick them on the plastic outer sleeve in the same position. Of course, some stickers are impossible to peel, so I cut them off in that case.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cyberball 2072
Feb 17, 2014

by Lowtax

Chim posted:

I feel inspired by izationalizer.

Die Antwoords new album Donkey Mag for 19.99 on amazon.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00LG6UB9C/ref=redir_mdp_mobile?ref_=zg_bsnr_372989011_43

Their older album Tension regularly goes for 100+ and this album is shaping up to be awesome.

Good looking out, I slept on the last release, "they have it on amazon, how rare could it possibly get?"

izationalizer
Jul 2, 2012

I don't know what the hell's in there, but it's weird and pissed off, whatever it is.
OK, so this isn't that amazing of a score, but this Dutchess and the Duke record is loving awesome, and $8 is a pretty nice price. This is more of a general recommendation than anything else; if you have any love for mid-60s-era Stones, then you gotta gotta gotta buy this! AMAZING record, and literally one of my faves of the last ten years. Beautiful-yet-tough folky melodies and evocative lyrics. Here's a sample:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T_GBnk45IYY

CrapFish
May 11, 2004

Never stop posting
Got half off of a Miles Davis record the other day. Got some other good stuff as well.

Chim
Jun 23, 2004
Shop Smart, Shop S-Mart!
https://batmanors.bandcamp.com/album/literally-weird

Absolutely beautiful release from Provo, Utah's spooky folk band Bat Manors. You have to hear this record to understand. Reminiscent of an even more melodic and beautiful Mutual Benefit. Limited to /300 hand screened violet 12"Vinyl for 18 shipped. Listen to the first and last track of the album and watch as you willingly part ways with 18 dollars.

Roger Troutman
Jan 11, 2007

What I do is sometimes get a tin of soup, heat it up, poach an egg in it, serve that with a pork pie sausage roll.

izationalizer posted:

OK, so this isn't that amazing of a score, but this Dutchess and the Duke record is loving awesome, and $8 is a pretty nice price. This is more of a general recommendation than anything else; if you have any love for mid-60s-era Stones, then you gotta gotta gotta buy this! AMAZING record, and literally one of my faves of the last ten years. Beautiful-yet-tough folky melodies and evocative lyrics. Here's a sample:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T_GBnk45IYY

Both Dutchess and the Duke LPs are my go to plays when I want to sit in the dark and feel miserable. I love that band... Lortz' new band, not so much.

Chim
Jun 23, 2004
Shop Smart, Shop S-Mart!
http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B00DJID4IA/ref=dp_olp_new?ie=UTF8&condition=new

The Bling Ring 3xLP deluxe triple gatefold original soundtrack for $7.20. While the movie is boring, this Sofia Coppola soundtrack holds up. An awesome album to throw on when you're hosting a party. The price is absurd

Cyberball 2072
Feb 17, 2014

by Lowtax
I'm sure its been asked before so I apologize but the site I was watching that put out weekly vinyl release lists seems to have stopped at the end of last month. Anyone got a good go to site or blog or whatever that lists new releases week by week? Something like this http://www.underthegunreview.net/2014/06/14/weekly-wax-vinyl-releases-for-the-week-of-68-614/

Cyberball 2072 fucked around with this message at 09:03 on Jul 22, 2014

Baron Von Ghoulosh
Dec 16, 2005

There was a time when I fed from golden chalices,
but now...

Now, I feed as
an old man pees.
$65 w/ free shipping. Thanks popmarket.com!

izationalizer
Jul 2, 2012

I don't know what the hell's in there, but it's weird and pissed off, whatever it is.
Here's an instant Led Zep collection: ten records for $100, supposedly all in "great shape." Of course, most of Led Zep's studio records are common, so that may not sound like a very remarkable deal. But what does make this an interesting lot is the record pictured on the bottom right: the "Live in Seattle" LP on TMOQ, which appears to be a $30-50 record in and of itself. So all in all, this is a pretty decent score. I'm actually mulling this one over myself.... SOLD! And not to me, either... kinda regretting not pouncing on it myself now....

izationalizer fucked around with this message at 13:57 on Jul 23, 2014

izationalizer
Jul 2, 2012

Oh, and also: Here's a copy of the Replacements' "Let It Be" LP for $60, which is actually a pretty darn decent deal these days. As you can see, it isn't all that unusual to see it go north of $100. And that $199.99 BIN! SOLD!

izationalizer fucked around with this message at 21:08 on Jul 23, 2014

izationalizer
Jul 2, 2012

Well goddamn, I'm on a roll: Here are seven Grateful Dead records for $15.95. Nice price! I have no idea what condition they're really in--this is yet another person who has never heard of the Goldmine grading system--but still, it could be a great bargain. I think I might ask him whether the records have scratches; if not, I'm gonna buy these myself! SOLD! Yeesh, that was quick....

izationalizer fucked around with this message at 17:31 on Jul 23, 2014

izationalizer
Jul 2, 2012

Well dang guys, sorry for spamming the thread, but man, they just keep coming today. Next up: a first US pressing (orange label) of Bowie's "Ziggy Stardust" for $9.99 or best offer. The cover looks a little rough, but the vinyl is VG+. Might as well make an offer! For context, I sold a VG/VG black label second pressing a while back for $31, and while that was perhaps something of an outlier, $9.99--or less, if he/she accepts a lower offer--is a very solid deal. SOLD!

izationalizer fucked around with this message at 21:07 on Jul 23, 2014

izationalizer
Jul 2, 2012

Well, gently caress, here we go again with a copy of Love's debut LP for $20 or best offer. OG gold label mono. The vinyl is only VG, but $20 is still a fair price, and it could be an outright bargain if they accept a lower offer. I plan on making an offer myself....

Also, it sucks that only like 3% of OG Love LPs are in VG+ or better condition. Obviously, 60s records tend to be more well-worn in general, but it seems to be even more so with Love records. What was up with Love fans that made them so un-careful?

E: There's also this lot of 70s/80s indie records--which includes the Sex Pistols "Never Mind the Bollocks," a Replacements 12", and a cool-looking ska compilation--for $12.99. This one won't last long! SOLD! IN A FLASH!

izationalizer fucked around with this message at 21:37 on Jul 23, 2014

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth
Thanks for doing this izationalizer.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.
Yeah, no, for real, please keep doing it. I would have totally bought that Bowie if I had been home and checked this thread.

Fors Yard
Feb 15, 2008

Aside from getting shot in the head, David, what have you done with yourself?
Even though I don't go for those auctions that tends to remind me of things I've been looking for. Found Psychic TVs Dreams Less Sweet today on discogs for £3.50. I'll likely be disappointed by the condition but its better than what PTV first pressing usually go for. Can't get much worse than my Allegory and Self.

enabler.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Yeah, I'm broke as gently caress right now, but I bought a few records that were announced in this style in this thread. I got the cheap copies of Islands and Rocks and that Sam Cooke live record from a month or two ago.

izationalizer
Jul 2, 2012

Warning: Long (but hopefully useful if you're as much of a record-addict as me) post ahead!

To all those who appreciate my spamming-of-the-thread, I'll just say: No problem, fellas! I look for the poo poo anyway, and if it's something I don't need and/or and isn't quite worth flipping (I don't bother with flipping unless the profit is relatively hefty), I'm happy to share. And I've said it before, but I'll say it again: Anyone can do the same thing for themselves. It's just eBay --> records --> buy-it-now -->newly listed, with possibly a couple of nuances*. Refresh the page till your heart's content. The return on time investment is pretty low, but I actually derive a thrill-of-the-hunt pleasure from it--it's kind of like internet crate-digging--and if you're persistent, the mind-blowing scores will pop up from time to time (I don't tell y'all about those, heh! I'm not that nice)! Also, if you do wanna do this, be sure to keep tabs open for eBay's completed listings and Popsike/Collectorsfrenzy--if I'm not sure of the value of something, I usually search the former first, and latter second--because we're not the only ones that know about this hunting strategy, and some of this poo poo sells FAST AS gently caress, i.e., within less than a minute. I've had some painful near-misses, to be sure....

Another advantage to searching the newly listed BINs is that it, like any form of digging + concomitant research, helps you develop an eye for what's rare/cool/valuable and what's not. This is useful both online and in the real-world wild. Once you start seeing the same records, labels, and even cover art design tendencies over and over again (e.g., "lo-fi" cover art sometimes tends to translate into "more rare/valuable"), you start to learn what's worth ignoring, even when you have no idea what the gently caress it is (although there are, of course, always many exceptions). There is always more to learn, too. I'm still trying to figure out what's up with the zillions of 50s-60s doo wop/psych/garage 45s that get posted every day. There are sooo many obscure and forgotten artists, and so many labels that look lo-fi/generic (again, that's often a good sign! Even if you don't dig underground music, it could be worth serious $$$!). Because there are so many, I often don't even know what's worth searching for on Popsike/Collectorsfrenzy. I just go with my gut, though, and I do sometimes get "hits" (I actually got one today on a 60s soul record that I didn't tell you guys about!)

One more fun thing about all of this: Me being the scummy collector that I am, I'm always on the hunt for an underpriced bargain, and flipping is always on the mind. But many times, when I score a great bargain and it ends up at my house, I'll spin it... and then I'm all like, "Holy poo poo, this is AWESOME, no wonder it's worth $50 (or $150, or whatever)! I'm KEEPING this poo poo!" Also--and this happens much more often--I'll get curious about some 7" that's priced at $1200 (or whatever), look it up on YouTube, and bam, I'll start to kinda understand why people are willing pay so much for it: because it loving rules! So yeah, I learn a fair bit about music even when I'm not actually buying the records.

Anyway, yeah, I'll keep posting poo poo until it appears that the consensus is for me to stop!

* I also filter out the new records, and have been searching within the US only lately, because a handful of sellers from India, Singapore, Mexico, etc. have been listing a veritable gently caress-load of undesirable (to me) records that I haven't the patience to sift through. I wish there were a way to search only within the US, UK, and Western Europe, but unfortunately, there's not. But for whatever reason, I never had much luck within the UK/Europe even when I was searching those regions, so whatevs, I'll stick to the US for now. It's where I live, and there's plenty to scour....

izationalizer
Jul 2, 2012

Here's a good 'un:

An EX/EX stereo copy of the Kinks' loving incredibly great "...Village Green Preservation Society" LP for $29.98 or best offer. US stereo copy on Reprise. As you can see here, $29.98 is a score in and of itself, and if you get get them to accept a lower offer, well, that'd be a super score. I'd definitely buy this if I didn't already have a UK copy....
SOLD! Hot drat, that was quick....

izationalizer fucked around with this message at 18:25 on Jul 24, 2014

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

when I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child - but now I am a man.
I wasn't even out to buy any records, but the other day I was at the Saint-Ouen flea market and ran into two old favourites that I'd never expected to see anywhere, and for 1,50e each too:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I_seoh-uOoI
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kc004d8KWJQ

Feels cuddly.

strap on revenge
Apr 8, 2011

that's my thing that i say
In a similar vein to izationalizer's posts, there's a New Zealand based music store that uploads lists of their used vinyl arrivals everyday here: http://www.realgroovy.co.nz/Information/213

Their prices may not seem cheap to Americans, I don't know, but as an Australian I find pretty reasonable. My best buy from them was an original pressing of Amputechture by The Mars Volta last year for $50NZ. They also had Frances the Mute for under $100 which I stupidly passed on. I think I've paid about $7 for shipping every time I've ordered from them

stay depressed
Sep 30, 2003

by zen death robot

Ras Het posted:

I wasn't even out to buy any records, but the other day I was at the Saint-Ouen flea market and ran into two old favourites that I'd never expected to see anywhere, and for 1,50e each too:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I_seoh-uOoI
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kc004d8KWJQ

Feels cuddly.

now this is fresh

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

A couple of my recent pickups...

I already had the David Lee Roth, but after our recent discussion about hype stickers, this seemed like a reasonable "upgrade" for only a buck.

Below it is an Ike and Tina album that only came out in Germany and Yugoslavia. Contains a bunch of fairly obscure tracks, including one that I wanted for my custom "True Detective Season 1 soundtrack" that I'm putting together.

On the right is my growing interest in 10cc. Deceptive Bends is an alright LP, if a bit dated. I didn't realize that "The Things We Do for Love" was a 10cc song. Great album artwork, though.

izationalizer
Jul 2, 2012

Well, the last 24-48 hours have been quite action-packed. Up next: John Fahey's "Transfiguration of Blind Joe Death" for $12.00 or best offer. Original Riverboat pressing w/ booklet. Once again, the seller doesn't understand the Goldmine grading system, but it sounds like it's not too bad of a copy. Since I only have the reish on Takoma, I think I'll make a lowball offer myself.... SOLD! And not to me... I offered $6... no dice this time! :(

PS: If you like acoustic guitar instrumentals you don't know who John Fahey is, you should check him out! Dude was a genius. He's actually tied with Hendrix as my personal favorite guitarist of all time. This particular album happens to be one of his weirder ones, but it's really drat good, IMHO. Here's a sample:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O5YXwsMtm4g

EDIT: Weirdly enough, there's also this superb John Fahey record for $16 w/ free shipping. Different seller. You could probably get it for *a bit* less than this if you're patient, but it's super-clean, so I thought I'd toss it out there! Here's a sample from this one:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C334UCVTPoE

izationalizer fucked around with this message at 03:08 on Jul 25, 2014

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Ballz posted:

I already had the David Lee Roth, but after our recent discussion about hype stickers, this seemed like a reasonable "upgrade" for only a buck.

Below it is an Ike and Tina album that only came out in Germany and Yugoslavia. Contains a bunch of fairly obscure tracks, including one that I wanted for my custom "True Detective Season 1 soundtrack" that I'm putting together.

On the right is my growing interest in 10cc. Deceptive Bends is an alright LP, if a bit dated. I didn't realize that "The Things We Do for Love" was a 10cc song. Great album artwork, though.

So what are the sevens?

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

Oh sorry! Both early 10cc singles: Silly Love/The Sacro-Iliac (both were from the album so it's really nothing special, but the store had literally 20 copies of it so I figured I could give one a good home) and The Dean and I/Bee in My Bonnet.

izationalizer
Jul 2, 2012

OK, so this is kind of a question, and probably one that no one here can answer, but: Does anyone know what's up with the reissue of Baby Huey's "The Baby Huey Story?" It was apparently still available as recently as May, but it seems to have disappeared from eBay, and seems to be in the process of disappearing from Discogs (all that's left are copies in Europe for $25 and up). Perhaps it's going OOP? In any case, this soul record loving smokes (I am proud to own an OG*), and here's a $20 copy that just got listed. If it really is going OOP, wouldn't be surprised that $20 for a reissue would be seen as a nice bargain in the near future (lately, it's not uncommon for OGs to go north of $200). Might wanna jump on it!

*Incidentally, I scored my OG copy for $12 as a newly listed BIN a while back. Like I said, the amazing scores do pop up from time to time!
SOLD!

izationalizer fucked around with this message at 04:14 on Jul 25, 2014

JehovahsWetness
Dec 9, 2005

bang that shit retarded
I'm pretty sure the last couple of year's re's of Baby Huey have been scorpio gray area boots. A lot of that crap get heavier euro distro and not much US.

izationalizer
Jul 2, 2012

JehovahsWetness posted:

I'm pretty sure the last couple of year's re's of Baby Huey have been scorpio gray area boots. A lot of that crap get heavier euro distro and not much US.

Thanks man! I figured that they were boots of some sort; Discogs says they're on the Curtom label, but that has seemed dubious from me from the get-go. 'Cause, y'know, that label no longer exists. And you probably chose the right words when you described it as "that crap"; I've owned (and still own) a few Scorpio reissues, and they are not, shall we say, the most aurally beautiful records I own (although to be fair, I've never heard the Baby Huey, so it could sound fine for all I know).

Still, the eBay listing is nonetheless "The Baby Huey Story" on wax; I'd be kinda surprised to see it last through the night....

E: Yep, it sold all right....

izationalizer fucked around with this message at 04:15 on Jul 25, 2014

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth

Ballz posted:

I have that 10cc album and it really didn't stick with me. I like their first and The Original Soundtrack a lot though- Une Nuit A Paris is a really good song and apparently a direct influence on Queen's stuff and Andrew Lloyd Weber's Phantom.

WASDF
Jul 29, 2011

I'm looking for some good pop-ish, or not, single LP records to listen to. I love vinyl, but I buy a lot of metal/harsher/punk records that aren't really nice to listen to one a quiet calm nights. Double LPs really spike my lazyness too. Its an ordeal sometimes to listen to DLPs just cause its a process to switch records. I'm just lazy.

Recommend good single LP records. What are your favorites? One of mine is Wreck & Reference's first record, No Youth; but then again its not really easy listening.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

WASDF posted:

I'm looking for some good pop-ish, or not, single LP records to listen to. I love vinyl, but I buy a lot of metal/harsher/punk records that aren't really nice to listen to one a quiet calm nights. Double LPs really spike my lazyness too. Its an ordeal sometimes to listen to DLPs just cause its a process to switch records. I'm just lazy.

Recommend good single LP records. What are your favorites? One of mine is Wreck & Reference's first record, No Youth; but then again its not really easy listening.

These come to mind with a few minutes' thought.

XTC - Skylarking
The Mountain Goats - Transcendental Youth
Kraftwerk - Ralf und Florian
Joe Jackson - Night & Day
James Gang - Rides Again
Rush - Signals
The Police - Outlandos D'Amour
R.E.M. - Reckoning

shmee
Jun 24, 2005

WASDF posted:

I understand your laziness. I bought the reissue of "Fun Trick Noisemaker" which was 2x 12"s but when I saw an original copy (which is a single 12") I bought it and listen to it more often.

And I suppose that makes it my recommendation if you see a copy of the original. Doesn't go for much, and you can listen to the whole thing on YouTube.

That and "Painful" by Yo La Tengo.

izationalizer
Jul 2, 2012

You guys dig soundtracks, right? Well, here's Angelo Badalamenti's Blue Velvet OST for $29.99 + shipping. OG US pressing on Varèse Sarabande. I wouldn't call this an outright steal, but it's certainly a fair price for a record that rarely turns up. The last copy on eBay sold for $76.33; part of that was because it was a sealed copy, but still...

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride
Mmmm that is a good soundtrack. Been hearing it lately in movie previews because they're doing a Lynch retrospective this month at the drafthouse.

Rush Hour Renegade
Jul 8, 2008

WASDF posted:

Big Star's #1 Record should be exactly what you are looking for.

CrapFish
May 11, 2004

Never stop posting
Went to the record store again today. Most of my finds came from the dollar bin. The Brubeck and Switched on Bach were both a dollar. I was excited.

Chemical Brothers - Leaving Home
Bill Evans - Sunday at the Village Vanguard
Dave Brubeck Quartet - Time Out
Hall & Oates - Greatest Hits
Acid - Can You Jack? Chicago Acid and Experimental House 1985-95
Keith Jarrett - Mysteries
The Ventures - Golden Years
Wendy Carlos - Switched on Bach
OFF! - Wasted Years
Miles Davis - Quiet Nights

izationalizer
Jul 2, 2012

All right, if you want this, you'd better snag it quickly before I snag it myself (I want it, but I've already bought too many records lately... I'm still strongly considering it, though...). Anyway: Here's the MFSL Bob Dylan "Blonde on Blonde" 3xLP box set. 45rpm. $69.99 or best offer, with free shipping within the US. Not bad. Not bad at all....

EDIT: Looks like you can get it for about the same via Discogs; I had just checked the eBay completed listings, which made it seem like much more of a steal (excluding that copy from May). In any case, this is still about as cheap as it gets. I'm still mulling it over.....

E2: Has anyone heard the MFSL of this? I have an EX/EX OG mono, and I think it sounds great, but MFSL nails it sometimes (although I personally think they're hit-or-miss).
SOLD!

izationalizer fucked around with this message at 22:53 on Jul 27, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

izationalizer
Jul 2, 2012

CrapFish posted:

Went to the record store again today. Most of my finds came from the dollar bin. The Brubeck and Switched on Bach were both a dollar. I was excited.

Chemical Brothers - Leaving Home
Bill Evans - Sunday at the Village Vanguard
Dave Brubeck Quartet - Time Out
Hall & Oates - Greatest Hits
Acid - Can You Jack? Chicago Acid and Experimental House 1985-95
Keith Jarrett - Mysteries
The Ventures - Golden Years
Wendy Carlos - Switched on Bach
OFF! - Wasted Years
Miles Davis - Quiet Nights

Whoa, somehow didn't see this. Nice score! That Bill Evans record is loving ace. It's one of my go-to records whenever I have company over. Which pressing is it? I have three pressings of it. OG mono on Riverside, a stereo reish on Riverside, and the OJC reish. Haven't gotten around to A/B/C'ing them yet, though.